It came home. Hope, hope came home

Bliss Seeker

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Colombia win the group I'm not convinced them, Sweden/Switzerland, then Croatia/Spain (realistically) is that much more desirable than Japan/Senegal, Brazil, then Uruguay/Portugal/France considering how poor Brazil and France have looked.

However, I really wouldn't want to play Uruguay so I'm certainly not arguing finishing second is a bad option, but I just think deliberately finishing second and ending up with Colombia when trying to get "easier" QF opponents would be mental.

If Japan win the group I think it's a whole different argument. I still don't like the idea of deliberately trying to finish second but it gets a bit harder to argue against tbh.

EVERYONE SEEMS TO KNOW THE SCORE

THEY'VE SEEN IT ALL BEFORE,

THEY JUST KNOW, THEY'RE SO SURE

THAT ENGLAND'S GONNA THROW IT AWAY GONNA BLOW IT AWAY

BUT I KNOW THEY CAN PLAY

COS I REMEMBER

THREE LIONS ON A SHIRT

JULES RIMET STILL GLEAMING

THIRTY YEARS OF HURT

NEVER STOPPED ME DREAMING

I KNOW THAT WAS THEN, BUT IT COULD BE AGAIN...

1 minute ago, PMLF said:

Southgate doing a Trump, criticizing some mistake people make, then making that same mistake...

In fairness he's not criticising anything. Just saying (back in 2012) that in the dressing room he would say let's win the game and worry about everything else later but that the permutations are part of the fun as a fan. He hasn't said anything in the press lately that contradicts this, it's just interesting and mildly amusing to see him tweet something back in 2012 that is so pertinent to this current situation.

Just now, Pukey said:

In fairness he's not criticising anything. Just saying (back in 2012) that in the dressing room he would say let's win the game and worry about everything else later but that the permutations are part of the fun as a fan. He hasn't said anything in the press lately that contradicts this, it's just interesting and mildly amusing to see him tweet something back in 2012 that is so pertinent to this current situation.

Yes, criticizing is harsh but I couldn't think of a different word.

Anyway, it shows well how it's different when you are in charge of something and when you aren't.

Yeah I get what you're saying.

It's such an odd situation and I don't think there's a right or wrong, but sadly there'll be a load of captain hindsight people if we go out any earlier than the semis know saying we should have finished in the other position.

3 minutes ago, Pukey said:

Yeah I get what you're saying.

It's such an odd situation and I don't think there's a right or wrong, but sadly there'll be a load of captain hindsight people if we go out any earlier than the semis know saying we should have finished in the other position.

You are having a laugh!

I said the same thing as a joke over an hour ago and since then you have been having a go at me!"

**** me.

How have I been having a go at you :D Tbh I didn't really get your "joke" earlier so I guess apologies for that but other than the post in here where you made a joke so I also made a joke back, how I have had a go at you? 

Italy rested everyone for Euro 2016 against Ireland. Lost 1-0 to a pretty **** Ireland XI. Then Conte brought everyone back and we played one of our best tournament games for years against Spain. 

But then I think you'll find examples where the opposite has happened. Holland Euro 2008 spring  to mind when they got beat by Russia after resting players for their last group game.

If England go out in R16 after resting players, people will say they lost momentum. If they win, it will become an amazing idea and a great decision 

Forget looking ahead to the QF and wanting to finish second in the group to avoid Brazil. We should be aiming to win the group so that we can have France/Argentina/Uruguay/Portugal in the SF. Nothing to fear there lads, it's coming home.

16th July, the country is in a giddy, drunken haze following an amazing final win, winning 6-0. Sterling scores all 6 and is lauded a hero, even the sun treats him as a god.

Scott angrily posts "why didn't Rashford play ffs he'd have scored 10"

I'm fully willing to be plastered on the wall of shame for saying this, but... :D

Really?! England beat Tunisia and Panama (who are both well in contention for the worst side at the WC tbh), and you honestly think England is going to win?  I'd jump on the bandwagon if England convincingly dismantle Belgium, but until that happens we don't have any real proof that England won't flop again. Saying a loss to Belgium would mean England would face weaker teams is pretty poor justification imo, and seems to me to me to be an excuse for just legitimately being the poorer team.  

I might be missing something though? 

It's good to see you guys enjoying it. Opinions about the national team always seem so negative to me, so this is a nice change. Yeah, they were "weaker" teams, but you still need to win them (other big teams messed up) and we saw 8 goals scored in 2 matches, which isn't bad at all.

I also don't have a team in the WC, so fully on the England bandwagon too. Belgium v England final. England to WIN on penalties after Fellaini misses and hits the cross bar. You saw it here first.

9 hours ago, Bootador said:

Momentum, it's bollocks.

Do CL sides play full strength sides in the game prior to a key game to maintain momentum?

You're trying to compare a 60 game season with a squad who see and train with each other every day, to a every 4 years tournament where the squad have a brief amount of time together

Momentum isn't bollocks at all, right now the team is high after 2 wins, play a weaker side against Belgium and get beat, that high completely goes and doubt sets back in 

Just win the game and **** whos in what side of the draw, that shouldn't concern us. Also these sides are in that half for a reason, being they've played **** 

We haven't won a knock out game since 2006, and the teams we've beaten in the last 4 World Cups consist of

Tunisia 

Panama

Slovenia

Paraguay

Trinidad and Tobago

Ecuador

All giddiness aside, now is not that time to start playing silly buggers and trying to be clever. Just get the job done. We thought this last time and crashed out to Iceland. 

1 hour ago, Barry Cartman said:

You're trying to compare a 60 game season with a squad who see and train with each other every day, to a every 4 years tournament where the squad have a brief amount of time together

Momentum isn't bollocks at all, right now the team is high after 2 wins, play a weaker side against Belgium and get beat, that high completely goes and doubt sets back in 

Just win the game and **** whos in what side of the draw, that shouldn't concern us. Also these sides are in that half for a reason, being they've played **** 

I genuinely don't think that rotating our team makes us massively weaker! It's not like we're replacing Rooney with Vassell or bringing on Trevor Sinclair for Paul Scholes. 

Dier for Henderson. Rashford for Sterling. Cahill for Maguire. Rose for Young. Trent for Trippier doesn't make us obviously weaker. 

However, I get what you're saying about momentum, but the squad has momentum, there is great morale and making some (not wholesale) changes will make a positive change to the squad dynamic, while I can't see us losing much in the way of momentum.

I think we should aim to win Vs Belgium, and I also think rotating will enable us to win. Don't care who we face later.

Its coming home either way!

10 hours ago, Bootador said:

Momentum, it's bollocks.

Do CL sides play full strength sides in the game prior to a key game to maintain momentum?

wins breed confidence and going into the last 16 having won a group featuring Belgium would mean the players are on a high

I get the theory behind this but based on what we've seen at the tournament so far, Croatia and Spain are significantly stronger than Argentina, despite being in the "weaker" part (in theory) of the draw

It's baffling to me that this "should we finish 2nd" chat is still being talked about.  On the radio the question seemed to be, should we finish 2nd so we can get an easier draw, or 1st and probably play Brazil in the quarters.  Haud on a second, who's that possibly waiting for us in the 2nd round?  Colombia.  I know it's only one game, but if they play the sort of stuff they did against Poland (and yes, Poland were hopeless) then they will likely be able to rip both Portugal and England to shreds.  

Top the group, win your 1st knockout round game, then go into the Brazil game realising what they are - a great but ultimately fallible team.  Or finish 2nd, and probably go out before that.

Archived