Since 13.1.3 - How's your enjoyment/team performance been?

Please rate your team performances/enjoyment!  

632 members have voted

1. 1. Please rate your team performances/enjoyment!

• I'm winning all the time and enjoying it
    • I'm winning all the time and it's okay
    • I'm winning all the time and I'm not enjoying it
    • I win some, I lose some and I enjoy it
    • I win some, I lose some and it's okay
    • I win some, I lose some and I'm not enjoying it
    • I'm losing a bit too often for my liking but I'm enjoying it
    • I'm losing a bit too often for my liking but it's okay
    • I'm losing a bit too often for my liking and I'm not enjoying it
    • I'm not even playing Football Manager 2013!

• Administrators

Well, I've been playing with mixed results, some admittedly have had me tearing my hair out, but when I've gone back to the drawing board by and large I've been able to get the results I think I deserve. The joys of the Turkish Premier Division with Genclerbirgli!

But what about you? Are you finding it easy or hard? Are you winning or losing? And do you think the results of your team have a massive bearing on how much you enjoy it?

Oh and feel free to post what team you're playing as in this thread.

In my four seasons I've finished 8th, 8th, 5th and 4th. Currently 9th with 11 games gone and in the Euro Cup group stages.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm winning all the time but I'm Rangers 2nd season back in SPL with a seriously good young squad so I should be.

The latest ME update seems to have made everything a lot more polished, players and team in general are doing what I have asked them to and I'm loving it.

I've found FM13 slightly easier than previous FMs from the off. I suspect I'll eventually get promoted above my squad level and have a season struggling to keep my team's head above the water. I'll enjoy that season as much as I enjoy seasons when I run away with the league.

The key is how much my decisions are rewarded or punished. I think FM13 beats other FMs in this respect, so I'm enjoying it more. You don't have 'my results don't matter, I'm enjoying it anyway' as an option, so I can't answer the poll :p

Chester / Four seasons: 1st BSN, 4th BSP & FA Trophy, 1st BSP & FA Trophy + 5th Round FA Cup, 1st L2.

Near the end of my second season with Ajax, and everything is going well.

Scraped the league title first season on goal difference, and currently sitting second this season but with a good run of games home. To be honest i'm finding it realistic... I have a strong team so I should be there or there abouts, but I still draw and lose the odd game just like in RL.

I'm definitely no tactical master, but with some simple and logical tactics I can get my team playing how I want. And the latest update has been a massive improvement, especially in the defensive side of things. Still has its rough edges, but getting there :)

Had a few issues with tactics and getting team to play consistantly, it was very frustrating. but i put the effort and thought into getting a tactic which suits my players and fine tuned it.. its quite rewarding when your team is winning and playing well with the tactic you created. really enjoying the game alot more now.

Also the latest update has been a big improvement which has further enhanced my enjoyment. its quite sad to see some people be so harsh about the game atm, all games have there issues but no other Football management game comes to close imo. :)

Playing with Nuova Cosenza (previously unplayable) in Serie A and really enjoying it. Overall I am enjoying this years version but there are a few too many goals since the last patch in my opinion although many others seem to think the opposite. I have also produced a lot of home grown talent this year compared to previous versions and I love seeing who makes the grade and who falls short.

Am winning my fair share. But when I lose there seems to be no logic to it at all.

Definitely not enjoying. This is the least enjoyable game I've ever played. Usually when I get FM I race through it. With the BETA I sort of did, but with the full game I've not got to November on any game. Am very close to packing in the whole game.

Playing with Man Utd, the patch has reduced the amount of crazy flukish results I was experiencing, but I still feel like wild comebacks are a bit too commonplace. Is there a confidence bonus given to teams that were just scored on (or penalty to teams that just scored) or is this my imagination?

"I win some, I lose some and I enjoy it"

I'm playing with my favourite team in the Greek Superleague, Olympiakos Piraeus and I'm enjoying it. However, in my last two matches I got beat at home by, our biggest rivals, Panathinaikos 4-1 and then beat PAOK (probably the second best team in Greece at the moment) 3-2 away from home, so you can imagine how I've gone from total frustration to joy!

Anyway, it's the first time since I had internet access (over 10 years) that I'm definitely not downloading tactics that others have created and try to build my own right from the off. I used to download tactics for tips and then try to incorporate what I thought was good into my own (copying is the best form of flattery :). This time I have been inspired by the detailed (on these forums) approach to football management that prominent posters have shared with us in order to genuinely achieve whatever best I can by what I see on the 3D match engine and trusting my own (inadequate) judgement. Practice makes perfect, so I watch all matches in full!

I think that to get even better at this then I should be watching my future oppositions recent games as well in order to get more accustomed in reading what I see and then plan their downfall, but unfortunately I don't have the time.

Once I toned down my winger and striker's tendency to do through balls then performance has come back. Defense has been performing well too, though now defense making mistake / laps in concentration means getting torn open by a through pass whereas before it wont be as obvious since players don't do risk passes as often.

Before the latest patch, I struggled a bit with getting the tactics right. I found I had to compensate for the less than perfect match engine by fiddling with the tactics settings a lot in order to get the results. After the patch, the results from using the defaults from the Tactic Creator seems to fit much better, but still with room for improvement by me, the manager, to suit my own team and playing style. And that's how it should be. It looks better, it feels more alike real football. I think there are plenty of things that can be made better with the m.e., but I also think it has great potential. All in all, FM 13 is probably the best edition yet. When I want something a little more straightforward, I fire up CM 01/02.

I am much more concerned about getting the base game mechanics - the match AI and the general AI - just right, before any of the more cosmetic things. Long term AI squad and club building is still sadly lacking, I suspect. The fun of playing long term career game gradually fades, because of lack of decent AI ... after a number of seasons, you have to be really bad at playing FM, if you're not winning absolutely everything. I would prefer to have just the same challenge/difficulty in year 2025-30 as I have in 2012/13. But it gets easier and easier to reign supreme year by year - and it should not be like that. I think I share these thoughts with a majority of the "hard core" and long time FM players. The cosmetic things are perhaps more important for the newcomers to the game - and therefore important for the sales figures, I guess.

I'm wining a bit to much for my liking, and the game is still way to easy, my team still suffer an unrealisticaly low amount of injuries (and keepers still never get injured in match), currently siting on top of the league, 30 games in with Stoke in my first season of fm13

that said I still enjoy playing the game

Well I've only played the one Premier League save since release and I've struggled a bit, sacked from West Ham in the second season and now fighting hard mid table in my second season with Aston Villa. At times it's so frustrating I want to throw my lappy out on the road and watch the traffic drive over it but when you start to get that bit of success oh man it is sweeter than ever.

I still losing more than I would like but I'm definitely enjoying it more now after the recent patch.

Ever since I started playing FM I've always managed/watched games in their entirety only switching to extended highlights when i had a secured win. This game was no different but it's been painful to do so. I find FM13 incredibly boring.

Clearly the ME isn't close to being finished and I'm patient but my hunch is that with FM13 they've killed the enjoyment out of the game for me. Hope I wrong, I've tried playing it several times but I always go back to 12.

Well I won the PL with Liverpool in the first season, pre patch I could only finish second twice. So in this regard my performance has improved, but it's probably just down to City not being as strong as before the patch. Winning games makes it enjoyable of course, but the match engine was better before apart from pressing. Right now I get too many own goals, more injuries, too few shots and older issues not fixed.

Oxford City. 5th BSN and promoted via playoffs. 18th, 19th and 10th in 3 seasons in BSP.

It's tough, no doubt about that and you are really made to work for results but if you get your tactics right it can be very rewarding. Watching your forward drop deep and drag the defender with him while your AM surges into the gap he's created then slams the ball home, well that's a sweet feeling when it's happening because that's what you were trying to achieve.

Havant & Waterlooville in championship 2018/19 season. Started this save when beta came out and been only playing this. Winning some, losing some and mostly enjoying it. Used to get angriest before the last patch when I saw a highlight start and would know how it would end. I would shout at my players and throw things at the screen and lose 4-2. A bit less shouting after patch.

I voted for the very middle option of win some lose some and finding it OK, although I am on the verge of not enjoying it due to considering the games to NOW be far too random.

Compared to the patch before where I would have said I was having the same results but bloody loving it.

The numbers speak for themselves, so I shall pipe down, cleverly done Neil......... (or am I being cycnical?)

Winning and enjoying it!

First season at Wolfsburg, 5th season into my save. Results were previously a bit up and down, winning about 50% with a trophy and a league win, but a lot of random games thrown in which were frustrating. Since the patch right before game 1 of this season, I went on a 21 game unbeaten streak to be topping the Bundesliga and be through to the 1st knockout round of the Europa league, and round 3 I think it is in the German cup. Just lost away to Dortmund for my first loss of the season. Injuries burnt me a bit, losing 4 DM/CMs at once.

Went from being very solid at the back (averaging a goal every second game or so) and scoring very little, to being slightly leakier but scoring a lot more goals, especially my striker and AMC. No change in tactics. I did find my (3rd) ultra defensive tactic for really tough away games to now not work though so trying to fix that.

Strikers in all the leagues seem to be scoring a lot more now than previously. The top strikers everywhere previously had about 50% scoring ratios, with average scorers around 30%; now the top ones are about 75-90%, with average strikers 50-60%. That tends to help my enjoyment, I love high goals on strikers and high assists on midfielders.

EDIT: also swapping tactics around a lot more to suit situations now that players are responding to my orders better. This has really made t a lot more fun. the media refer to me as a tinkerer now I do it so much!

Playing as Neman Grodno in Belarus Highest division. Before the update I had won the league in first season quite easily. Post update and I can't get my team to perform one bit. I know we over achieved last year but I'm tearing my hair out at the moment. My keeper, despite being one of the best in the league, has turned into David James at his worst. The defence can't stop through balls. My midfield can no longer pass to each other and my strikers can't hit the target from 6 yrds. I'm going back to the drawing board to create a new tactic and not just adjusting the 41221 I had success with. Thinking a back 3 may be the way forward to prevent the constant through balls splitting the D-line open.

The option I win some, lose more and not enjoying it would be my choice but it's not there.

I'm West Brom, in 3rd season, (1st with updated ME) and prefered the other ME to some extent.

1st season was a real struggle, only just avoided relegation (and loved the challange) Due to some dodgy decision's on my part etc. and getting to know the new ME.

2nd season, I was getting used to ME, and had trained the majority of my player's in individual roles (like play's 1-2's, and alot of threw balls), which was helping me get the best out of my player's, tactic's and ME, finished 6th, and Loved it.

3rd Season (updated ME) and I have only lost twice so far, once against Ac Milan, euro cup, and other against Stoke, League cup, and I'm now bored of it, due to too easy.

Since I can't be bothered with some unrealistic and stupid things that are happening on the pitch I have now switched to "only commentary" mode. The amount of stupidity coming from goalkeepers is just too much for my taste. Currently after 17 games, I am 15th in La Liga, playing with Betis. I would be happy to finish somewhere between 10th and 15th place but still I expected to win a bit more. 5 wins until now. I'm still struggling to make my tactic but since I decided that this season I will play my young players to give them progress and my defence is **** maybe this is reality. Also I don't score much which is a problem..that I have to fix somehow.

Playing as my created team Bradford Town where i started in blue square south. got promoted in my 2nd season to blue square prem where im in 6th with a chance of getting into the play offs. Other than players asking way too much in wages for a team in blue square league im enjoying it.

I'm almost at the end of the first season with Coventry, and after a blistering first half of the season, since the update, it's all went a bit pear shaped. I've had to re-design my tactics, which is a bit annoying as the one I had before suited the players perfectly. The tactic I'm now using and having a bit more success with relies on wide players, and as I used a narrow formation before, I don't really have any natural wingers. However, I've slowly adapted to it, and with 4 games left I've hauled myself back into the playoff places.

Still maintain this is the best FM ever. I feel the sense of achievement with every victory is far greater than in previous editions, as you have to work hard for it, which is the way it should be. And that applies both pre and post update.

From the poll's results it seems the latest patch has done fairly well its job. Good.

It would be interesting also a poll about the injuries to check if the increase of them is just a urban legend or if it has some sort of truth base.

I really do not understand all these complaints, many of the errors seen in the video in this forum are realistic, errors that occur in real life (maybe even worse!), perhaps many were used with earlier versions where there was never a mistake and striking that was not real! since the last update I've only done the first two friendlies and I must say that I found a gorgeous graphics than the old versions and the ME is greatly improved, there are many things realistic, I saw for the first time a heel made ​​by my player :-), cmq I think we should all enjoy this beautiful game, tHE BEST FOOTBALL MANAGER EVER

I win some, I lose some and it's okay.

FM13 has changed the way I play the game for the better, and if I had an option of "I win some, I lose some and I'm enjoying it", that is what I would have chosen.

Just noticed that was an option! Jerk!

I think the patch has improved the ME enormously, and the only thing that irritates me are route one goals kicks which bypass my whole team, presenting their striker with a tap in.

I am not enjoying the game because I can't create a tactic that seems to work at all and I don't like the fact that the match engine represents every single game the same no matter what level of team I play. Every team from an MLS side to a top Premier League side looks exactly the same and is just as hard to beat.

Also, no matter what formation and tactics I play the AI always fires passes around with amazing accruacy and has so many 1 on 1's with my keeper (which they usually miss).

The 13.1.3 match engine is much better than the 13.1.2 but it's still quite poor.

Sadly, I don't have the patience for this version of FM. Im so frustrated with it. I racked up 25 days of playing time on FM12. Won't be the case this year :-(

Had a poor start to the career this time, admitedly not unusual, down in the Norwegian Second Division with Nest-Sotra (my 4th club in as many years), and after a typically mediocre first season at the club, and start to my second (which I haven't finished yet), my form since the update has been played: 11, drawn the first two, then winning 8 out of 9 to get into an admitedly tough promotion fight. The potential in my side was always there, which makes it hard to tell if the update has made a difference (ditto with the tradition of a slow start to most careers before things improve), but the way it suddenly burst to life quicker than I feared it would take has made me wonder.

I think it's so-so for me and not because of results, but because of what I see on the pitch from my defenders. I understand there have to be defender mistakes and attackers losing their markers, but it seems so infuriatingly inadequate in 3D. My DCs have the intelligence of a vegetable when it comes to long passes from deep - starting their run after the attacker very late or hopping sideways 20 metres instead of sprinting (and they have higher Acceleration than the player getting away).

'I'm losing a bit too often for my liking but it's okay'

I'm Parma in the Italian Serie A. First season I finished 5th and got a Europa cup place. This season (after applying the patch) I'm in the relegation zone.

I was 'untouchable' after my achievements last year, but the bug that reset my job status means I'm now a loss away from being fired. 400 hours played, and possibly wasted as I don't think I will have the time to turn things around now.

Same as above...

If I get ahead and score, it's a struggle to keep ahead. And more often than not, I'm losing in the final 20 minutes of every match.. highly frustrating and a little jarring, but still enjoying the game as I always do.

Just think the game needs a bit of work on the attacking front and we'll be sorted, the football being played on the screen is beautiful.

im still struggling to get any enjoyment, the game has really changed big time since fm12, i think all the people who were calling for difficulty levels and the game to be harder have got there way, and i am not happy the game was fine before but now it just seems to hard. i kind of wish SI you could give me a update for FM12 to have all the dates right in the game.

Also the money i have spent this year to get the game playing right has been a big problem 495 pounds :(

I would say the poll is hard to answer because the key to my enjoyment is not solely based on winning/losing. It is seeing how well I can do in a simulation that feels realistic. I would get more enjoyment out of being near the bottom but outperforming expectations than walking successive promotions with a little team that never would.

From that perspective, FM13 is closest to reality of any to me, espeically the squad building and team cohesion type elements that were just so easy in all previous versions. For that reason alone, I am enjoying it more than any other version.

Archived