*Official* Football Manager 2022 Early Access Beta Feedback Thread

1 hour ago, Ö-zil to the Arsenal! said:

I think this issue may have been reported above, but just sharing here as well to provide further info

Hey, good morning everybody. Having finally cracked and upgraded from my beloved FM 2018 due to the database being too far behind, I am already experiencing logical issue with the FM 2022 tactics creator.

Is anybody else noticing extremely disjointed individual mentalities for players in the AM/ST strata in the FM 2022 BETA?

I've just set up - what should be - a fairly well-balanced, positive 4-2-3-1 shape for Arsenal.

image.png.d14988ca35014447e6865f02c0e30b14.png

However, somehow, the FM 2022 Tactics Creator is determining that a positive team mentality plus a support duty should result in a very attacking individual mentality for all players in the AM and ST strata.

image.png.151f098cea09ca372a6756791fe9f75a.png

image.png.d97c7c0d27c52d960ebcbe1a52cff68a.png

image.png.91dfbafa1736ca42c874cc1090fa98fc.png

As a result, the mentality distribution is incredibly disjointed:

Very Attacking
Very Attacking   Very Attacking   Very Attacking
             Positive      Cautious
Positive     Cautious      Cautious     Positive
                    Positive

Players in midfield and defensive stratas look fine.

For the sake of comparison, the same system in the FM2021 (demo) Tactics Creator gives a far more balanced and logical individual mentality distribution.

image.png.37539b147a6fd432b79b698f1c477baf.png

Balanced
Positive       Positive       Positive
          Positive  Cautious
Positive  Cautious  Cautious  Positive
               Positive 

I haven't got as far as to play any games yet, so cannot comment as to whether it's just an interface issue or the tactics creator is genuinely churning out these mentalities. Or maybe I am badly missing some kind of logic, or have a strange instruction ticked.

I'll play a few games and see how it is today. Hopefully can be resolved before the main release! :)

Per my post below from a couple of days ago, yeah I noticed the same thing too when first setting up my tactic. Hopefully it's just a UI bug. 

On 22/10/2021 at 22:30, craigcwwe said:

Are the player mentalities correct? For example, setting up a tactic and I've got a WM-S in a balanced team mentality who has a personal mentality of 'attacking' and then another WM on attack duty which has an 'attacking' mentality. 

Then a AM-S, also on attacking in a balanced team mentality. 

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Another round done.

Right now the data hub is my favourite new feature. Having so much valuable info on one screen is a blessing and really helps to find flaws or to see which players are struggling. Now I know what to test during the winter break :)

I started a second save to try the WCB roles a bit. I watched some games in full detail and what I found was that -- contrary to my main save and the general opinion here -- there is plenty of central play when setting up as such, but that it doesn't really bring in results. I think I'll have to upgrade my strikers here as their movement is just too bad for my league and whenever the balls come, they are stopped by faster/stronger defenders.

I love the frequent cutbacks and short passes. Especially the cutbacks were something I missed in FM21 that ruined quite a few of my ideas.

I like quite a few of the new press answers, that is some nice fluff. Personally, I hope that it evolves into some sort of "manager personality" in future releases because some answers just read sassy or overly confrontational now. Make us better shape how we are perceived and what questions we receive or even what we *can* answer after a while. Right now it reads nice but the underlying system is still the same.

What I don't like: When tweaking a preset tactic and later landing on something else (even when doing save->reload for the new instructions), every pregame they want me to return to the original base, even if almost nothing is the same. I don't know whether this is bug or feature but at least I feel bugged about it.

Now that agents and players are more likely to hardlock some demands, I'd also like more options about my reaction. Walking away from talks that can go nowhere often results in angry players for reasons I can't talk about to them. I want to be able to talk to the player/agent that their demands are impossible and that they can either forget about the contract or should reconsider. I am not using an AP in the AM-strata and I'm not changing everything on a regular-starter-at-best! When it comes to money I am willing to talk but promises and some release clauses are absolute no-goes for me and will not be accepted.

38 minutes ago, harrycarrie said:

1CB with a HB works really well.

17e90b62d7e414d079cf3ec18091224d.png

Could you please report this in the tactics section of the bug tracker? This is a case of an extreme example SI could use to help improve the match engine. Preferably with a save and a .pkm if possible.

39 minutes ago, harrycarrie said:

1CB with a HB works really well.

17e90b62d7e414d079cf3ec18091224d.png

An exploit tactic if ever I saw one. Ridiculous.

IRL you'd get picked apart by Fulham and the scoreline might end up the other way around.

I had a look at the "Defensive Efficiency" screen at the start of winter. Has anyone else seen such correlation between "Shots faced" and "Opposition conversion rate"?

Spoiler

736702985_Sport-ClubFreiburg_TeamPerformance.png.e3d2420d7a4e061b957383e9e7f85804.png

If we are being generous and exclude the outlier, on FM21 it looked the other way round. If not, it looked at least far more "random" and depending on tactics/skill.

Spoiler

709921896_VfLWolfsburg_AnalystReport-5.png.38343fdde35dfadc4ace3de5abec8b65.png

39 minutes ago, Piksi#10 said:

An exploit tactic if ever I saw one. Ridiculous.

IRL you'd get picked apart by Fulham and the scoreline might end up the other way around.

It's why I personally play the game, find great fun in exploiting and breaking games.

Shouldn't work but it does, and oh my!

People need to understand play through the middle during a counter attack (defense is pushed up, there is plenty of space for a through ball) and playing against a low block. In FM 2020 since the AI plays exclusive with a low block if you are a top team play through the middle is impossible, all passes go wide, just like the FM 2022 beta from what people here have reported.....

In real football play through the middle is yes harder against low block but for great players like De Bruyne, Iniesta, Messi it does not matter that much they can still squeeze passes in the middle...

Edited by FM1000

How did they manage to make newgens  faces worse again? Definitely a step back. Same as scout report where you cannot see attributes.

There is a lot of good things about fm22 but i really cant understand why and how can someone decide this is better than it was in fm21

Data hub seems like an amazing new feature. So far i never used data to improve my tactics but this will make me try to explore it more. But i cant find a lot of good articles or videos where i can learn. Can someone help, where can i learn how to read data hub properly and how to use it to adapt my tactics?

Edited by Cro-cop

57 minutes ago, Zemahh said:

Honestly, problem with this isn't the OP's tactic, it's the way AI approaches games as an underdog. OP is playing as Man United, so naturally Fulham are going to opt for a Cautious/Defensive Mentality and basically never have a go (just pay attention to what kind of ridiculous tactical changes your assistant recommends in such cases). The above formation would be very easy to exploit with the opposite, Positive/Attacking Mentality and more risk-taking, which would probably expose the lone CB with ease. That's exactly how users usually approach games against stronger opposition and often with great success, which is why playing as an underdog can often be quite easy (AI throws everyone forward and leaves itself exposed against more aggressive tactics).

In such cases, AI should simply be smart enough to recognize that user is playing with a single central defender and try countering that. Something like this would be easy to spot in real life and any manager could then instruct their team to play long balls forward and try bypassing the press and playing on the break. That's what high-risk Mentalities do naturally, whereas low-risk ones will prefer playing it safe and keeping the ball, so overly aggressive tactics like the one above are never really punished (if your reputation is high enough).

You've pretty much nailed it there mate. I play the same formation every game but do lose some against say Liverpool or City as they don't sit back and just go for it. I mainly dominate but due to their GK being worldies the dreaded suoerkeeper comes back. Had Alisson get a 9.8 against me etc.

My only irks so far would be strikers receiving the ball 30/35 yards out, turning and shooting from distance when there's the space and opportunity for them to run and knock it past/dribble past the defenders. Next ones that come up I will start to compile pkms.

Also it's so refreshing to see players from half angles actually stopping play and turning back and waiting for a runner inside rather than shooting into the side netting. However after seeing it about 30 times in a row there seems to be no balance. In recent years they would always strike, now they always stop play and don't shoot from the half/quarter angles when you'd maybe still expect them to have a dig 30% of the time and convert the odd one into the bottom corner.

Inside forwards also seeming very wide and not inside at all or making penetrating runs for a ball through the centre. 

12 minutes ago, 2feet said:

Can SI confirm whether an overhaul of the set piece creator is being worked on, either for this release or for a new version in FM23?

SI don't announce features ahead of the game announcement. Whilst fixes can be made for smaller issues, they won't be doing an overhaul in a patch for this version of the game. Hopefully in the next couple of versions we'll see large scale improvements in that area 

Rashford has just come to me and said he is unhappy with the amount of gametime he has been getting - however he has been injured from the start of the season and this is the first game in which he is fit. Perhaps something to look at as it's not realistic for a player to be upset about not getting picked when they are injured. 

2 minutes ago, IgnorantLobster said:

Rashford has just come to me and said he is unhappy with the amount of gametime he has been getting - however he has been injured from the start of the season and this is the first game in which he is fit. Perhaps something to look at as it's not realistic for a player to be upset about not getting picked when they are injured. 

This a known issue and being worked on 

Something needs to be done about fatigue and injuries.
I'm ok with nerfing Gegenpress, but then, nerf Gegenpress. Don't make stamina and fitness so poor to simulate a Gegenpress nerfing. This affects all styles, not just Gegenpress. A couple of months into the season my players are constantly tired, I rest them 2 days after each game, yet they are barely fit for next game. I have 1 to 2 injuries per game. Most of the times, wing backs. Very rarely do I play a game where I don't have both my wing backs injured.
My assistant manages training (so no reason for it to be too much), and my tactic ask for a bit of intensity, but nothing like Gegenpress.

PS: yes, I know nothing will be done, I just thought it was worth mentioning

Edited by Fettucine_Alfredo

3 hours ago, Zemahh said:

Honestly, problem with this isn't the OP's tactic, it's the way AI approaches games as an underdog. OP is playing as Man United, so naturally Fulham are going to opt for a Cautious/Defensive Mentality and basically never have a go (just pay attention to what kind of ridiculous tactical changes your assistant recommends in such cases). The above formation would be very easy to exploit with the opposite, Positive/Attacking Mentality and more risk-taking, which would probably expose the lone CB with ease. That's exactly how users usually approach games against stronger opposition and often with great success, which is why playing as an underdog can often be quite easy (AI throws everyone forward and leaves itself exposed against more aggressive tactics).

In such cases, AI should simply be smart enough to recognize that user is playing with a single central defender and try countering that. Something like this would be easy to spot in real life and any manager could then instruct their team to play long balls forward and try bypassing the press and playing on the break. That's what high-risk Mentalities do naturally, whereas low-risk ones will prefer playing it safe and keeping the ball, so overly aggressive tactics like the one above are never really punished (if your reputation is high enough).

This is the real answer. Also it shows that the ME doesn't really support central play like it did in FM21. In the central areas it plays a lot more like FM19-20. The opposing team had 43% possession and the player team had under 90% pass completion. The AI team had opportunities on the ball. It's not like it was completely denied from them. 

I dusted off my 1-4-4-1 (single CB system) from FM19 and it's shown a lot of promise. I don't have the players to support it, but it will be viable. In FM21 that was never an option because of the ME's ability to push the ball up the middle. (Though the AI still played too passive).

Edited by VinceLombardi

I've noticed there is a new level of physical condition in FM22 called Peak but the colour difference (for the heart icon) between peak and excellent is very subtle and I struggle to see the different between them. Is there a way to edit these colours or do I need to wait for the full release and do this via a skin? Thanks.

14 hours ago, ManicStreetFootballFan said:

game is really laggy when you go to any screen with a lot of info on it, my PC has 16GB of RAM before you ask so I know it's not an issue on that front.

clicked on schedule and it took like 3 minutes to load, player stats detailed at the end of the season took about 4 minutes to load, it's really sketchy. 

Same problem here, 16GB ram, AMD Ryzen 7 4800H processor for what's it worth.

1 минуту назад, HonourG сказал:

It bothers me that the short passes in the game are too accurate. Players with high passing ratings should be more important. Also, if there is a regulation on this issue, the value of high pressure will increase. It will be a more realistic experience. Does anyone agree or disagree with me on this?

Yes, it's still a high amount of successful passes and first touches 

12 dakika önce, HonourG said:

It bothers me that the short passes in the game are too accurate. Players with high passing ratings should be more important. Also, if there is a regulation on this issue, the value of high pressure will increase. It will be a more realistic experience. Does anyone agree or disagree with me on this?

Also, players with high anticipation can make more interceptions on short passes.

Does anybody know if there’s a way to return the “transfer values” back to the old school style of just being a value. Rather than a range of say 600k - 1.4m …. I know it’s only a small thing but I actually really don’t like the new value ranges.

2 minutes ago, juanfields said:

Does anybody know if there’s a way to return the “transfer values” back to the old school style of just being a value. Rather than a range of say 600k - 1.4m …. I know it’s only a small thing but I actually really don’t like the new value ranges.

That is not possible as far as I know.

2 minutes ago, juanfields said:

I don't believe so no. 

Are you supposed to lose all knowledge of a player after 4 weeks of trial?

I have a ton of trialists in the pre-season, and I can see all their attributes after 2-3 weeks, but as soon as they leave the club, they go back to the knowledge level I had prior to the trial. So some of them now show no info at all.

Seems a bit silly :)

Central play has been great in the game, even better than FM21. Definitively the best match engine ive seen, Ive had multiple chances created through the centre of the pitch with a 4-4-2.

Also for people that might be struggling with that, Im not doing anything special but do remember that if both your right back and left back are wngbacks and you play with wingers, then expect them to create lots of your chances as thats literally there role.

Edited by Platinum