Age profile of FM players

I'm now in my 30s but still love playing FM and it had me wondering if I'll ever be 'too old' to play it.

Are there any pensioners playing it or is it predominantly a younger person's game? I've been playing FM/CM since my teens and can't see me stop - although time naturally has become more limited with kids etc but I hope to keep playing into my older days, ha.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's quite interesting that all the replies are from the older end of the spectrum. I have kids myself and my time is definitley more limited but I hope to keep playing as long as i can. I'll be a grandpa with the laptop tray and some version of FM45 on the go.

Started playing games such as League Challenge and Football Director on the Commodore 64,then went through the championship managers including the Italian one on the Amiga..

Then came the early Championship Managers on the PC and now of course Football manager which keeps me coming back each year..

I'm now 35 and i play the game just as much as i did way back on the C64 and Amiga.

"Pensioners"? I just turned 50, have only been playing for 3-4 years and love it more every year. I can't play the quick-reaction shooters anymore (okay, never could), and I like long-term games. And it runs on my laptop so I can play while watching TV or ignoring my wife.

In autumn of 2001 when I was 13, I have started to play The F.A. Premier League Manager 2001/2002.

I have played it for about 2 years and then in 2003 when I was 15, I've started to play Championship Manager 2003/2004.

Now I'm 26 and I have played every version/edition after Championship Manager 2003/2004.

I'm 24 years old and have been playing since I was about 8 (CM3 demo).

I've bought eight editions of CM/FM since then, plus one edition of FMH (13).

Recently, I bought FM13, skipped FM14, and I am undecided on FM15. I've only skipped back-to-back versions once before (FM09/FM10, because I was so disappointed that the previous two kept corrupting my saves).

I'm 30, and I've been playing since '93. FM13 was the first and only one I skipped, but conversely, FML was my entire raison d'être during its existence.

I've probably at least tried most of the other major games in the football management genre at some point, from the early days of Premier Manager, The Manager and On The Ball through LMA Manager and USM right up to recent Steam stuff like Lords of Football, FIFA Manager and FX Football. FM's still far and away the best of its kind.

I'm 36 years old and married with kids. I've been into CM/FM since the first version with real names which I think was CM 93 (as depicted a few posts back)?

My wife calls it "that game" which tells you everything you need to know, although she does concede that it's spectacular value for money in terms of how quiet it keeps me and for how long.

I've always been into games since I was a kid - I often say that for my generation, games are a perfectly acceptable form of entertainment for adults alongside movies, music and TV. But FM is the game I can play when spending time with the wife while the soaps are on, which means it's the ultimate game in my eyes.

I'm 37 and have played manager games for as long as I can remember. "League Soccer" by Dave Barnes from the C64 is the first memory.

Tracksuit manager (C64) - Great game

The Manager, on Amiga500 I think?

Premier Manager on Amiga500 - fantastic series, I remember my bro being somewhere around the year 2500 on it :D

USM as well certainly

Missed the first few CM's though, jumped in for 00/01 I think and found it too big to grasp at first but once it hooked me, it hooked me good.

I found this game/franchise while stationed in England as part of US Air Force back in the early-ish 1990s. Have bought every single edition since, and at 48 y.o., enjoying it more every day! Current Steam profile is showing over 6k hours logged over last 5 versions---and probably at least that many hours for all the other previous versions combined :)

44 here, been playing since CM4. Still play a lot, though not as much as I used to due to work/family constraints. No more all day sessions, but I can manage a couple of hours at a pop 3 or 4 times a week, and of course during work slow times :D

ZX Spectrum was where my addiction started in the 80s. So I'm wrong side of 40.

"The Boss" had a rating for every player 1-9. 9 meant he was worth 900k, 1 meant he was worth 100k. Buy and sell at your leisure. No contract, no negotiation, no forum to complain to, saving your game on a cassette was hit and miss at best, annual releases were not the way let alone patches.

You know when you start to sound like your dad did and come out with "kids today don't know how lucky they are"....?? You're getting on a bit. :(

29 with 2 kids. first was either CM97/98, or one before. As I was about 10-11 when I had my first comp, was watching football way way before I played any sort of management game. Had the commodore 64 but alas no management game. FM is the only game I will buy every single edition (as was CM)all i really play

Played since the version before Chelsea got taken over (CM03/04)

Not that I really understood it though:

signed Rooney and Ronaldo as 16yos for my RealMadrid side

took Zambrotta off once around 10mins in because he was getting boo'd

didn't know how to change the highlights, so watched every match in full detail

sold Vieira one time, and directly replaced him with Nedved

I'm 22 now, didn't play FM13, and not really feeling the buzz about FM anymore - trying to get my career started, and relationships

I'll probably pick up FM15 though

29, same as samdiatmh though, more focus on career, so I'm not as invested in FM anymore and I don't think I have time to keep adapting to each iteration. At some point I'm going to have make a decision as to whether I carry on with it or switch to other games.

Mainly because, when I was working (in-between jobs atm) I had literally no downtime for games at all. FM is nice, but its not one-game only nice y'know? :)

Archived