Age profile of FM players

36 years and started with the first PC version of CM, bought it each year since. Started playing soccer management games on the C64 with world soccer & world soccer league.

Still don't understand why the sliders were dropped. Guess I'm getting too old.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

33, own every game that's been released. I don't play any other games and dread to think the amount of money I've spent in hardware upgrades in the last 20 odd years...

Don't spend all my time on it anymore as I have a little boy but am looking forward to the day I introduce him to it and can fill my evenings (post homework, obviously) playing with him.

29 been playing CM/FM since CM2 (i only had the ITA,FRA,GER version!)

Which began my love for italian football and football manager all at the same time!

still play it, on my laptop in the lounge when we are watching tv, and sad to admit but i do have release day off every year, and have it as a day just for me, playing FM all day.

23, going on 24. Been playing since Championship Manager 01/02. I remember buying Mark Viduka a lot because I liked his name even though he didn't fit into my teams. (I also remember adding managers to opposing teams so I could buy players for free and win matches; I was only a kid :o)

Actually, this is quite interesting reading. Although it's only a very rough poll, it seems most of us started playing at quite a young age (teen or younger), or when the first few came out, and are still here. At the same time, I think there's been only one person who is currently a teenager in the thread- that surprises me. I'm sure SI have access to more detailed stats than this about their userbase, but are younger people really not playing the game all that much? Or do they just have better things to do than post on the forums about it? :D

42 , been playing since CM3..Born and raised in US, never liked “soccer” or cared about it. Saw a review in PC Gamer about CM3 and decided to try. It took me about a year to understand everything. Now many years later & 5 young children later the only sport I follow is “Football” and have bought every version of CM/FM since.

Sorry for posting twice, but I do remember that when my birth year became available (86), I finally felt old..odd that we use a game to measure the transition from youth to adulthood, I had a daughter before then too!

I'm 27, been playing since CM2 and can still vividly remember rushing off to buy CM4 before school started (it was the first game I ever bought on release day)

15 will be the first FM were I can put 1989 as my year of birth!

I used to holiday through the first few years of a game until it was up to the point where I could create a manager with my real birth date...then I was old enough that I could start with my real age immediately, and a little piece of me died inside :(

44 here.

Played them all since the first one, and my first footy management game was the original Football Manager on the Spectrum. I used to send away for all the mail order management sims for the Speccy and the Amiga before CM first came out. You'd think then with all that wealth of experience, I'd be quite good at the game. Unfortunately, you couldnae be more wrong.

I'm almost 23 but started very young; I remember playing CM3 round a friends house at the age of 9!

I'm sure for our generation there will never be a time when we are too old to play as computer games are ingrained in our society now, whether that be PC games, console games or simple games on phones/ tablets (every age group plays these!), so I'm sure we will all be playing until we die ;) (if this style of game is still around that is- who knows what the world will be like in 50 years time!)

i´ve played from the very start and i´m 36. I havent bought every version, but i´ve played each and every one. That includes way back when the italian and english leagues were 2 seperate games. True story!

Often elderly people look to be bored, i often ponder about ageing and what effects it might have on me. I love doing sports and keeping myself in shape, so losing that wouldn´t be a good thing. Elderly people are also more lonely, so i often ponder i i will be lonely when i´m old. You know what, then i think fm and the insane of leap in quality from now and til fm 2040, then i´m not so worried about being lonely or being bored. True story aswell

This one is 34 and has been playing for about 14 years after being given a copy of CM by a friend (back when you could do that)

I work shifts so end up with lots of time off in the week, perfect for a bit of 'Manager'. This version I have clocked up 730+ hours so far with one save, starting with Staines.

Actually, this is quite interesting reading. Although it's only a very rough poll, it seems most of us started playing at quite a young age (teen or younger), or when the first few came out, and are still here. At the same time, I think there's been only one person who is currently a teenager in the thread- that surprises me. I'm sure SI have access to more detailed stats than this about their userbase, but are younger people really not playing the game all that much? Or do they just have better things to do than post on the forums about it? :D

Young people are on Facebook, Twitter and such. Seriously, forums of this traditional form are a bit outdated. Things like reddit and aforementioned social media took over.

Judging by the rest of the posts here, I can say I'm only 27, married, and been playing since CM 96/97 (was it called CM2?).

33, been playing every single game since the very first Championship Manager on my Amiga 500. Not as much time now with kids, work and missus, but have had the same progression the last couple games:

First a save with Liverpool until won "enough"

Then a save with an English club trying to win all trophies using only british players

Then a break

Then a save or two where I try out specific styles or formations, like wingers&targetmen, libero, strikerless, etc.

I'm 36 with 2 kids and get far, far too excited about each release of FM than a 36yo should. Literally cannot wait.

Started with CM around 1993 ish I think and played every version since. Wife refers it to "That Pac-Man game" in reference to the 2D screen. She doesn't share my enthusiasm....

Archived