Would you ever manage the rival of the team you support in real life?

Once in a hotseat game back when you could only either play the English or Scottish leagues. Both of us are Rangers supporters and tossed a coin to see how would get to be them, needless to say I lost and went Celtic. Ended up dominating and had mixed emotions.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would do that any time. My choice of club is solely influenced by what I as a manager would deem a good career move, so I look at the potential, the expectations and the current team of a club when making a decision.

This way I have for instance often managed WBA, Wolves and Villa which irl would probably a really strange mix of clubs...

That being said, I actually kind of stay away from the clubs I support irl to some extent. Knowing a team that well makes the fm experience feel unrealistic, as does selling your rl favourite players because they are not performing good enough in the game.

I've never managed or wanted to Manage Rangers, I don't even hire staff that have previously been at Rangers, would never buy any player who has ever played for Rangers! I wouldn't sell a player who played for a team I choose to manage just for that reason though. I've had Gatusso, Michael Ball and a few others in teams I've chosen to manage or teams I've taken over.

Our rivals are Sunderland, and that's just such a boring proposition.

Surely the only people who manage teams like Sunderland are their own fans?

In fairness, i'm a Sunderland supporter and up until my current save I couldn't manage them. I guess because when you manage the team you support, the will to win becomes amplified, and you take the defeats far more personally? At least for me it does anyway.

But to answer the original point; no. I wouldn't manage Newcastle.

No. On a normal savegame there are hundreds of clubs I could manage, there is no need for me to choose to manage Ipswich. Why would I? Even if I there isn't an available job in England I can always find one abroad and have some fun (or curse) with the bizarre (or plain idiotic) rules in a different league system.

United fan here. Never choose to manage United at the start, always try float around Europe and hope they offer me a job or my application is successful. Never is, eventually I get fed up and manage anytime in England. I have manager liverpool and chelsea with no issues.

I started a journeyman save with the intent of getting the Inter job. I wanted to feel like I had earned it, and didn't want to manage the squad that Inter starts with (too familiar with them, plus many changes required). Managed Verona, Bologna, Cagliari, Ghana, and Serbia, and was offered... The Juventus job! It was just such a jump up in prestige and transfer budget and squad quality that I had to consider it. Ultimately the idea of a 30m transfer kitty when I had to make due with less than 3m up until then was too much to say no to. Still in charge some 20+ years later, and it is funny when I am happy that we have beat Inter, but hey, it was Inter's loss, Juve offered me the job at a time when Inter were successful, but since, Juve have become the top club in Europe, winning the last 5 Champions Leagues (no reloads either)!

I knew it was either or. I would never be able to go FROM Inter to Juve, or vice versa.

Not a chance in hell I would manage City or Liverpool. When I do a save I need to get a buzz out of the team I'm managing, it just wouldn't happen managing these two. Plus I don't like them very much.

I would never do a save with Lazio, and I would probably find it difficult to play any Italian club other then the one I support, on the other hand I could see myself playing Real Sociedad at some point, but its not the same kind of rivalry and hatred

Not a chance. The Newcastle job has come up a couple of times, and looked tempting, but I just couldn't imagine myself having the same will of wanting to do well. I've never even considered Sunderland, but that would almost certainly be a no too.

No - being a Gunner - no Spurs, Chelsea, West Ham, Liverpool, Man Utd, Man City, Stoke (or most English teams for that matter) and none of the teams that are rivals to my old local side Stevenage - so no Luton, Cambridge, Woking, Barnet

I mainly support Athletic Club, Houston Dynamo, and Tottenham.

Wouldn't manage FC Dallas.

Wouldn't manage Real Madrid, but wouldn't have an issue managing any other Basque team (Athletic is friendly with most lower Basque teams and the Real Sociedad rivalry doesn't really involve a lot of anger or hatred).

I would have no big issues managing Arsenal- yeah, I'm a Spurs supporter but I do admire Arsene Wenger. Maybe it helps that I'm not English. I hate Chelsea and the Manchester clubs, though.

No i would never manage sunderland, im always happy to see them crash and burn (but i do like having them in the prem for a guarenteed 6 points a season). I might manage middlesboro as to be honest ive always seen them as really weak rivals. But i couldnt bear too manage sunderland.

In an older version before the board had as much influence as they do over transfers, I started out as manager of my own team, Sunderland but left after about ten seasons to take on a new challenge with Hartlepool. Got them to the brink of the Premier League when the Newcastle job came up. Took the job and ran the club into the ground, quite literally. Sold all their better players for as little as I could and replaced them with nobodies for mega transfer fees, long contracts and enormous salaries.

Needless to say I got sacked after my second relegation in successive seasons.

Played another Newcastle game in 2010, but that was mainly to test out some tactics and training regimes as much as anything else.

Would I do it again ... well as someone said above, only supporters of Sunderland would play their own club, well; to throw a question back to Newcastle fans what challenge is there in playing Newcastle in reality, probably about the same as playing Sunderland. There was another comment about managing Sunderland being boring, well if you have a strong dislike for a club, you are not going to give it 100% - but then again it is only a game and not reality.

Much prefer Lower League stuff anyway.

Norm

I'm a Chelsea fan but I've managed Tottenham,Arsenal,Manchester United and West Ham.Although I managed all of those clubs on fm11 in a save in which I had managed 26 clubs... by 2016. I won everything with England though,so i kept getting jobs.)

Could possibly stretch to Man U or Sjoke, but absolutely not under any circumstances Man City or Burnley.

As for the rest - Oldham, Bury, Macclesfield, Rochdale etc, they aren't really our rivals, so yes.

As a Man United fan, I feel weird managing any other English club. I will only manage United or any team from any other country except England.

HAHA good one :thup:

I would never manage Man Utd or Everton. Same goes with Chelsea. Simply can't stand any of them.

I would sooner burn my computer in a wheely bin than manage Celtic in Football Manager.

Couldn't agree more mate. Even when I'm managing in a different country it makes me cringe seeing them win games.

I can't believe how much hatred there is in this thread :(

Just like real life, its only a game.

Some of it might be hatred, but given the fact that in most circumstances in FM it only takes a maximum of 30 minutes to get offered another job there is rarely a need to take a job at a club you don't want to manage. Taking a job to activately destroy a club is a little dark, I wouldn't do it as I can be bothered to waste my time doing something so pointless (and given the way that non full detail leagues simulate results limits the damage a player can inflicit in a short time).

My true club is Rangers, I've never managed Celtic since I first started playing back in the mid 90's (only other Scottish team I've ever managed is Queen of the South). However, I've hat a soft spot for Spurs for 15 years or so and am currently managing Arsenal.

I support rangers to i ciould never manage celtic i felt i let myself down in the game, when i joined rangers i won the league there first in 5 years then celtic obe the next. it left a sour taste even though its a game.

Never. I reckon if I did I wouldn't be able to sleep and would need to constantly take showers to rid the disease.

I remember some charity thing ages ago, where you wear your rival teams top to raise funds for charity. Not a chance.

Other clubs I like and support then no worries but not my true club.

As a Spurs fan, i would never in a million years mangage Arsenal, Chelsea or West Ham. I could not bring myself to try to do well with them, it would be the least enjoyable thing I could do on it and a complete waste of time !

Archived