Football Manager 2020 Feedback Thread

3 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

From what I've seen so far, it takes longer to manifest itself with semi-pro teams and quicker with the better teams, however I'm only basing this on two of my own saves. 

How long has it taken with top teams? I have a save going with Arsenal and, after one of the beta updates, they appeared after around a month. Yet, since the full release, I haven’t had any new partnerships form and I’ve had a pretty consistent starting 11 for around two-three months. I remember seeing partnerships form after around a month in previous editions. I’m totally fine with it taking longer, though that doesn’t seem to be the case. And as a bug, I hope it’s being addressed. There’s a thread in the bugs forum concerning the issue that’s gotten a decent amount of replies. It’d be nice to get some clarity on this because it’s one of the few problems that I have with the game. This is the smoothest edition of FM that I’ve ever played. 

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Out of curiosity Just downloaded a 4-4-2ish. 2 Inverted wingbacks flooding the centre, two supporting type CMsish in front of them, no width, no Depth, no anything. First pre-season match 7 Goals scored in the first half, not a single one from open Play. All from the throw in, free kick and Corner. :D Am going to write a Steam review now how the Goals on this were far too repetitive 1/10.

Edited by Svenc

3 hours ago, robinthebest said:

it wasnt that bad before, wingers dribbling too much this year is probably the issue, notice the list they are mainly fullbacks

yes wide players explore space far too easily. and not only wingers. on the other hand IFs seem unwilling to cut inside regulary and preffer to dribble down the line. i wonder is that intentional - opponents showing onto weaker foot?  

26 minutes ago, Svenc said:

Out of curiosity Just downloaded a 4-4-2ish. 2 Inverted wingbacks flooding the centre, two supporting type CMsish in front of them, no width, no Depth, no anything. First pre-season match 7 Goals scored in the first half, not a single one from open Play. All from the throw in, free kick and Corner. :D Am going to write a Steam review now how the Goals on this were far too repetitive 1/10.

goals variaty and shooting from byline  are biggest problems for me right now. i'd  say there are too few open play goals. but i've seen some really cool goals, really like those from opposition mistake there should be more of such. i'd say there are too many cross to the far post goals. defenetely too many first time shot after cross goals. also i see exactly the same penalty kick for me every game too.

6 ore fa, dannysheard ha scritto:

Agreed. I played as a poor Chorley side in FM19 as I’d done Liverpool to death.

I played the same aggressive Liverpool tactics straight away and didn’t notice any real difference in quality of play, tactical familiarity even though they were part time, fitness or easiness of winning most games.

I even got to League Cup QF in first season before Chelsea knocked me out against the run of play.

If confirmed, this is a very serious issue...

from what I'm reading there is not in FM 20 an ID_TEAM that separates a strong team from a weak one...they are at the same level.
I can't believe the technical attributes of the players don't matter
So what's the point of starting in the lower series?

6 hours ago, dannysheard said:

Agreed. I played as a poor Chorley side in FM19 as I’d done Liverpool to death.

I played the same aggressive Liverpool tactics straight away and didn’t notice any real difference in quality of play, tactical familiarity even though they were part time, fitness or easiness of winning most games.

I even got to League Cup QF in first season before Chelsea knocked me out against the run of play.

Do you know how I know you're talking absolute rubbish here? Chorley start the game in the Vanarama National, so wouldn't even play in the League Cup in the first season. 

Cracks already appearing in your 'I'm too good for FM and the game is broken as a result' schtick. 

Unlucky. 

36 minutes ago, Mitja said:

yes wide players explore space far too easily. and not only wingers. on the other hand IFs seem unwilling to cut inside regulary and preffer to dribble down the line. i wonder is that intentional - opponents showing onto weaker foot?  

they do cuts inside more often than FM19 already imo, they do cuts inside and wingback can overlap now, they do crosses, where as 19 wingback just crosses into opponents legs and goes out for a corner.

1 minute ago, robinthebest said:

they do cuts inside more often than FM19 already imo, they do cuts inside and wingback can overlap now, they do crosses, where as 19 wingback just crosses into opponents legs and goes out for a corner.

look weird when he could cut inside but instead runs down the weak foot side. from what i've seen including AI games they don't create much danger, just like central strikers.

1 hour ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

Do you know how I know you're talking absolute rubbish here? Chorley start the game in the Vanarama National, so wouldn't even play in the League Cup in the first season. 

Cracks already appearing in your 'I'm too good for FM and the game is broken as a result' schtick. 

Unlucky. 

Fair comment, must’ve been FA Cup then.

I’ve got three kids, a good job and a massive house so trust me, I really don’t need to come onto a football game forum to lie to make me feel good about myself.

#lucky

Edited by dannysheard

8 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

Do you ever stop?

That maybe was a bit crass.

Seriously, though, I can hand on heart say I have never made anything up on here. It is probably down to the fact that high pressing, aggressive football, that I’ve been playing for years on FM, is overpowered.

Let’s not fall out on a Saturday night 🤝

Edited by dannysheard

3 hours ago, Mitja said:

i'd  say there are too few open play goals. 

There have been fewer shots from open Play for at least a couple Releases imo. Naturally, the AI match Management can influence (Parking Bus), but it isn't merely that. I suspect that SI have internally never made that distinction when Looking at their data: We don't have any statistics to go by also, and have to count manually, which is a pain in the butt. That said, bollocks tactics would even create fewer shots from open Play (and the one I downloaded has already seen some traction on These boards). On FM19 they were at least saved from the set piece exploit every now and then. The comment About writing a Steam review how repetitive it all was was kinda tongue in cheek -- but SI imo aren't themselves doing much favors here. There's far too many  tactical combinationso that make the ME look worse than it is every year -- and most of which have Little to do with how Football is being played to boot...

Edited by Svenc

• SI Staff
On 22/11/2019 at 19:50, DP said:

I think this is just down to how FM actually processes matches. In fact a lot of the frustrations are. 

You have to remember the match is pre calculated before you get to the engine. All of the maths is done and, more often than not, it will favour the better team. It’s not the big players that will ‘win’ the match, it’s the accumulation of all the stats up against the other sides stats. 

The graphical ME will then try to give you pictures in terms of how this has happened. I’m not sure completely how it does this part but the calculations have already been done - you can change things my making subs where it will recalculate again but all you are seeing is some kind of representation of the output of the maths in the background.  

This is why I’m sceptical if certain stats are actually as effective as we think they are under the hood. Penalty taking, for example, looks like a very dubious stat and one not always clearly represented in the graphics engine imo. 

This is categorically untrue.

Jordi Hiwula just had a shot from here in one of my games 😐 

This can't be right, players never shoot from these positions.

It went massively wide of the near post too by the way, it wasn't one that flashed across goal.

Screenshot 2019-11-23 at 20.56.15.png

Edited by TheInvisibleMan

On another note. Is it me, or has James Maddison still not been given a bit of a buff on the potential side? My scouts don't rate him that high, and his attributes seem ok-ish, but make me want to looks somewhere else, yet he's been one of the best in the league irl. In game, I feel like the gap between him and Havertz looks potentially large enough that I'd end up signing Havertz instead.

Him and Tielemans maybe?

Just checking in what others think here? 

Edited by MatthewS17

28 minutes ago, Mikke said:

I have to give up with FM20 for now, the match engine makes it impossible to keep playing. Due to the quality of my team I don't have much choice but to use counter-attacking tactic, but with 0% conversion rate from 1-on-1s it just doesn't work.

See you when match engine is patched!

Try Gegenpress, some people are saying it is the most overpowered style.

28 minutes ago, Vali184 said:

Good to know, that's a very good reason to not try it then. I want to use a tactic that is sensible for the team I'm managing, but I'll just have to wait for ME to be fixed. I have strong faith that it will happen, it always has.

32 minutes ago, Vali184 said:

Yes. It sure is. 

I hope in the upcoming patches if there are any, SI will look to give more penalties by using gegenpress. For one, the condition of the players should drop more playing gegenpress for 90mins.

And being punished for using the tactic with unsuited teams. Like more mistakes made, closing down the wrong passing lanes and general fatigue etc. 

2 minutes ago, upthetoon said:

Yes. It sure is. 

I hope in the upcoming patches if there are any, SI will look to give more penalties by using gegenpress. For one, the condition of the players should drop more playing gegenpress for 90mins.

And being punished for using the tactic with unsuited teams. Like more mistakes made, closing down the wrong passing lanes and general fatigue etc. 

It does and it does. Trust me, coming from a lower league team, I used to have some great results with gegenpress but starting to get punished quite a lot now. Especially by good teams once they circumvent the initial press. 

2 minutes ago, STaphouse said:

Nice to see that all my players still would rather shoot from an impossible again rather than square it 100% of the time.

This has been in the match engine for years now. Would have thought SI would have fixed this by now......

It's pretty disgraceful mate. 

19 minutes ago, upthetoon said:

Yes. It sure is. 

That is already what happens. And it is not even the gegenpress that is overpowered, it is the AI not responding to things you are doing that is the issue. 

3 hours ago, Seb Wassell said:

The Match Engine processes matches in two ways, full detail or not full detail. Full detail is the only type your team's matches can be processed in. This runs the match, one half at a time, second-by-second,

I have two questions (that are pure curiosity, so feel free to tell me it is secret). What happens in not full detail? And the calculation is performed at the start of the match, and at half time (initially anyway), not live? Oh and another one. When it recalculates, I assume it starts from some given initial conditions? To reflect what has already happened in the match? You could do so much cool science with this, studying how nonlinear your code is! Anyway, just curiosity, and I will not derail the thread further.

I played the game a bit more today. I have lacked the time, and I am trying to finally complete a three kingdom's total war campaign at the same time. So I can make some observations. 

1. There are some weird spikes in CPU usage when processing certain news items. Or just on some clicks. I have not really been able to find a pattern to this, but it can cause the game to freeze for a good 20 seconds. The editor also uses an absolute crap tonne of CPU by default when searching the database. To the point it actually runs slower than if you throttle the CPU usage. This could just be a machine-specific thing, but anyway, feedback is feedback!

2. Core gameplay is pretty much the same as last time. In a good way. At the moment I am having fun letting my HYD try to sign players and I just say no to him (on purpose, mind, he might find a gem). I'm liking club vision a lot, as it actually makes teams feel different. Not just a skin colour change. 

3. Regarding the match engine. I am actually rather enjoying it, which may put me amongst the minority (on this thread anyway). I'm not going to go into all the bugs people know about. I see shots from wide too, and offside fullbacks, and my forwards being a bit static. There is also a lot of good to be seen too. I am getting a good variety of goals - crosses, counters, pressing, mistakes, set pieces, through balls, long shots. I have had zero issues with 1v1s. They are scored as frequently as I would expect, and when I would expect. Narrow angles are missed more often (unless your player places shots), they are scored less frequently when a striker has pressure, is running fast, or has not got the ball under control. If it is a problem, it is not one I am seeing. I feel the midfield has too much of players randomly spending 10 seconds deciding what to do. Also players running to the side line, stopping the ball, running out of play, the opposition recovers the ball. That, I imagine, will be gone in the patch. The referee also has a VAR obsession. I had 5 in a match earlier (well, I guess it is annoying irl and the game). 

4. Match ratings seem... weird at the moment too. A lot of 6.4 and 6.3 for players who have not done anything particularly wrong. If this is the new norm, that's okay, but if not probably this needs balancing. It has gone too far the other way from the 8+ fest of the beta (my entire team averaged over 8 for a while). It just seems harsh when a defender has a 6.4 performance in a match where the AI did not manage to get a shot at goal. I guess a weighting issue. If it is not logged, I will keep an eye out for it happening again. 

So yeah, generally I think the game is nice. And it will get better with patching (as always). The ME is better on release than it was last year anyway. 

Trying out the demo today and first look the ME doesn't seem much different to last years, which isn't great.  Same old issues I just find it incredible that it seems more important to get unimportant features right at the expense of the ME.

Also still notice the juddering in the 3d engine that FM has suffered for the last few years, will this be fixed as it's a no go buying it if this is going to be the case?

Again with the ME the play on medium this year seems far too fast but if you slow it down a notch it's too slow, so no realism at all speed wise.  Plus the match text zips through far too quickly to read, anyone else notice this? 

Edited by Sussex Hammer

6 minutes ago, sporadicsmiles said:

The referee also has a VAR obsession. I had 5 in a match earlier (well, I guess it is annoying irl and the game). 

That is actually quite realistic. You should see a game in the Belgian first division, it's on the verge of being ridiculous. It's even gotten to the point where they discuss with the VAR after every goal to check for potential offsides or other infringements. 

My elite strikers can't score goals, I have top strikers but they are missing the easiest of chances.  My players also aren't crossing at the right time constantly and are waiting till they get blocked.  The opposition are consistently scoring all types of long range wonder goals and my team can't score the basics.  I have a target man with strong heading who's 6'4 who seemingly can't head the ball.  15 heading and 17 jumping reach yet can't score simple headers. in 19 games I think he's scored 1 headed goal.

5 minutes ago, plcarlos said:

One thing I'm seeing is corners - Players are way to happy to concede them (when they could clear for a throw in), as well as win them (No attempt to beat a player, just kick it against them). Anyone else?

Yeah, my players just keep running to the flank and not crossing until they get blocked, even if there's ample opportunities to cross well before.

You may be overreacting slightly. Also, circumventing the swearfilter is also not allowed. Just for the record, I just checked my FB(A) his stats and 50 games, he took 20 shots on goal. I think that's fairly on the low side. He also got 7 assists and I've seen him cross and cut it back from the byline quite often (if there was anyone present to cross it to, that is). 

Just one more FYI, the AI has the same tools at its disposal as you. So yeah, I'd say it's your tactics. :)