Football Manager Early Access Beta *Official* Feedback Thread - 18.0.3

Message added by Neil Brock

If you have constructive feedback please post it in this thread.

If you have something you think is wrong or a bug, please raise it in the relevant section of the bugs forum

https://community.sigames.com/forum/563-football-manager-2018-early-access-beta-bugs-forum/

This will be the surest way anything that you notice or that bothers you can be addressed. Thanks.

• SI Staff
2 hours ago, Alekos said:

WOW is this true?Can anyone else confirm this?

That made me stop playing FM2017 from the beginning...

The wide midfielders defending and staying too wide is still not fixed.

This is not true btw. I would actually play the game yourself instead of hearing other users comments.

If the Wide Midfielder is on a Support Duty, they will tuck in and help their players. If the Widest Player is on an Attack Duty, they will stay wider and be ready for the counter attack.

I'm obviously disappointed to hear you've asked for a refund, as a fan of the game myself, this is a shame. However, please understand that this is an Early Access Beta and we are trying hard to fix and improve certain aspects of the game.

Cheers,

Nic

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry if this post is a rant, but I'm getting quite upset by the amout of misplaced shots my striker do in front of the goal. I play with Monaco and have Dolberg (14 Finishing, 14 Composure, 13 Decisions) and Falcao (17 Finishing, 17 Composure, 17 Decision) as my strikers. They are fairly good statwise, but they cant score goals for the love of god.  They get in good 1 on 1 positions inside the box but then shot the ball like 5 meters  past the goal. Falcao has 1 goal in 6 games and Dolberg 0 in five. This includes preseason against very small teams as well. I tried them as CF and AF. And it's not like they won't get any service most of the games. 

It's the same FM feeling all over again. Having 6 to 3 shots on target but losing the game 0 - 3.

Edit: I mean like, how can that be not a sure goal? He shot it wide. 

20171101224403_1.jpg

Edited by gandrasch

4 hours ago, BlueAnderson said:

The 4 biggest problem in the ME are:

1. Crossing is terrible. Defensively they’ve improved how they’re reacted to but now we have the problem of general crosses just not being good enough. Too many times do players cross the ball “luckily” and that just doesn’t happen in football - not if a player gets into space where they can carefully pick out a cross. 

2. Counter attacking seems to be very odd - you could have a 4 vs 2 or 3 vs 1 situation that just requires a switch of play from the player on the ball to exploit that numerical advantage but it doesn’t happen. Even the most talented players often make the wrong decisions and just try to continue to solo the attack and it ends up with long shots. 

3. Which brings me onto long shots. I feel like players are still too inclined in general to take a long shot when they have team mates in front of them whom they could pass to who would then be in a better position. 

4. Offsides are strange on the game. An offside trap is usually devised to compensate for a high line but even low blocks seem to be able to excecute it perfectly - we’re seeing way too many overlaps and through ball situations turn into offsides in my opinion. 

unfortunately these are not the only problems of the ME...to be sure of what I was seeing, I played some matches 3d entire  game, and it was not nice at all... bad choices, worse execution, no ideas at all on the pitch, just long balls threwn, sometimes to the opposite GK, sometimes to the fans on the stands...the players just stay with the ball at their feet until are dispossesed, unable to build a decent action, absolutely boring to see and below-the-par to assess, at the moment the ME is absolutely bad

Really disappointed with the beta so far.

- The dynamic system is very strange,i sold John Flanagen and after 3 week Milner and Hendrson were angry at me (WTF?)

- The game is super slow to me,when 17 was worked fast and smooth

- The UI is a mess.. why i cant see the goal scorres Imidietlly in the other league matches? 

- ME.. hmm.. a lot of goals from corners,why the "Close" camera angle from FM17 removed? + sometimes i can not see the nets very lightly.

40 minutes ago, Nic Madden said:

This is not true btw. I would actually play the game yourself instead of hearing other users comments.

If the Wide Midfielder is on a Support Duty, they will tuck in and help their players. If the Widest Player is on an Attack Duty, they will stay wider and be ready for the counter attack.

I'm obviously disappointed to hear you've asked for a refund, as a fan of the game myself, this is a shame. However, please understand that this is an Early Access Beta and we are trying hard to fix and improve certain aspects of the game.

Cheers,

Nic

Nic I fully agree with you about playng the game yourself and assess it instead of relying on other users' comments...and I really appreciate your efforts, I cannot say that FM18 is not a 'new' game with a lot of new ideas...but when you come to ME, I think a lot of work has to be done, it's the worse in years and seems full of senseless decisions by the players and even worse execution. Seeing a full match is a different planet than football, it's a (bad) arcade game of soccer, please have a look at it, it just spoils the Whole game!!!

8 minutes ago, jam jameson said:

unfortunately these are not the only problems of the ME...to be sure of what I was seeing, I played some matches 3d entire  game, and it was not nice at all... bad choices, worse execution, no ideas at all on the pitch, just long balls threwn, sometimes to the opposite GK, sometimes to the fans on the stands...the players just stay with the ball at their feet until are dispossesed, unable to build a decent action, absolutely boring to see and below-the-par to assess, at the moment the ME is absolutely bad

Sounds like watching England play since the 80s irl. :D

But isn't 90% of being a football fan and manager in real life being disappointed 90% of the time in seeing your team not following your perfect model of what should be happening? What would you like to see?

I actually think the ME is pretty good in this version, as in what I expect to see from a player I am trying to give a position or role is fairly well reflected.

"The ME is bad" I never really understood, as in does it mean the graphic representation is rubbish or just players making bad decisions? I get the gripe about the GK leaping down to give a cross out for a corner in current FM18 but more than ever in this version and recent versions if your players make weird choices or can't play like AC Milan in the early 90s then it's a game problem and not your players and especially tactics?

My Man Utd team are winning, but also conceding a lot of goals, so I started reviewing the goals conceded to see if there was a theme and came across this.

2017-11-01.thumb.png.a683d921aef6c12837254fd880ea17b8.png

This started with a Brighton free kick. They took it short and worked it wide and everything was fine right up until this moment. 6 of my players just all retreated to the 6 yard box and stood like statues in a straight line while Brighton had 4 completely free and unchallenged players inside the box. It obviously ended in an easy goal for them.

2 minutes ago, Cannibal said:

My Man Utd team are winning, but also conceding a lot of goals, so I started reviewing the goals conceded to see if there was a theme and came across this.

This started with a Brighton free kick. They took it short and worked it wide and everything was fine right up until this moment. 6 of my players just all retreated to the 6 yard box and stood like statues in a straight line while Brighton had 4 completely free and unchallenged players inside the box. It obviously ended in an easy goal for them.

I`ve seen that before in one of the matches I played. Definitely a bug.

Said i was going to wait for the next update before getting stuck into FM18, but caved in and started a save earlier.

Is it just me, or does the ME seem 'off' to anyone else?  Like something isn't quite right with it.   I didn't save my game so can't upload a PKM, but the amount of times i seen a knockdown from a keepers kick out, knock down falls to a centre mid, who just does nothing with the ball and oppo steal in and go up the other end and score.  Infuriating. 

Watched a few streamers on Youtube too and there seems a fair amount of goals being scored, like some games where teams are 3 or 4-0 up within sort of 15mins. Quite regular, too

5 hours ago, Wells said:

Surely SI can't keep this UI for the full game or is it? just look at the amount of people that are disappointed about your decision of altering and changing things that weren't broken and making us do extra clicks.

Some screens take too long to load specially player profiles and when I click the FM settings.

Overall it is too buggy with broken UI in place. I have refunded the game for now and will just see and wait what FM 19 brings next year, (first time ever I did this - playing since FM 10)

3 hours ago, Nic Madden said:

Cheers,

Nic

I also refund the game, just around half hour ago I got an email confirmation to the refund from Nexway.

There is no point to add about how bad is the UI.

GK cannot catch crossing balls and sends it to corner etc... which is part of the ME from FM16, is completely annoying and the fact that we are now on beta for FM18, this probably will not change I assume since this was reported from the FM17 beta, and nothing has done to improve it.

You are not the only one who is disappointed, I'm also disappointed, because I'm a fan of football manager and this current state of the game is simply unacceptalbe so I had to refund.

BTW, if the game have so much bugs currently at the beta, what is the point to release betas (besides using the users as a testing center), the result of this is making the users more frustrated from the game? (it's already knonw how the game can be very frustrating at times)

Edited by MHovel

This has really upset me.

I’ve just been sacked with one game to go in the Jupiler League. For an ‘unconfirmed’ reason

We were predicted to finish 20th. We’re 10th and in the playoff hunt.

Dressing room morale is poor, however that is one player who is in the B Team who wants to leave (but they can’t out of a transfer window). No-one supports him and the two team leaders are happy with me.

The other two Dynamics indicators are green and good. THE CHAIRMAN HIMSELF IS DELIGHTED WITH MY WORK.

This is surely not what the Dynamics tab was supposed to be used for!! What a crock. A whole season wasted.

Please tell me that this is a bug or error of some kind??!?!?

(I have already opened a thread and posted my save on the FTP)

Edited by Deisler26

1 hour ago, MHovel said:

BTW, if the game have so much bugs currently at the beta, what is the point to release betas (besides using the users as a testing center), the result of this is making the users more frustrated from the game? (it's already knonw how the game can be very frustrating at times)

That's the whole point of betas - to catch bugs and get feedback on the game, unlike other games FM's betas are real betas and not just paid demos.

If playing the beta frustrates you then you might be better off waiting for the demo to be released which will be in a more polished state and is generally released around the full release date.

31 minutes ago, michaeltmurrayuk said:

That's the whole point of betas - to catch bugs and get feedback on the game, unlike other games FM's betas are real betas and not just paid demos.

If playing the beta frustrates you then you might be better off waiting for the demo to be released which will be in a more polished state and is generally released around the full release date.

You either ignored or didn't understood what I typed before that.

Companies does that all the time? instead or recruiting testing team which works more closely to the devs and QA, they are using us as a testers? The customers? that's really bad!

let's assume i'm wrong in this part, we all gave a feedback last year and obviously the bug i mentioned in my comment which is so hard not catch, even if you will play one game you will see it happen, yet it wasn't fixed.

Btw, Playing the beta doesn't frustrate me only, it was a general statement about how the beta which have lots of bugs could be frustrated for the customer, especially in a game which is already have some frustrating parts (I think I explained it better in my previous post).

I think it was a legitimate question, and obviously this guy: @Deisler26 while we are talking, Isn't going to be happy after his save is probably going to the trash because he got sacked for no valid reasons (seems like from what he described). this is just strengthen what I said.

Edited by MHovel

3 hours ago, Cannibal said:

Confirmed bug. I raised this already

20 minutes ago, MHovel said:

You either ignored or didn't understood what I typed before that.

Companies does that all the time? instead or recruiting testing team which works more closely to the devs and QA, they are using us as a testers? The customers? that's really bad!

let's assume i'm wrong in this part, we all gave a feedback last year and obviously the bug i mentioned in my comment which is so hard not catch, even if you will play one game you will see it happen, yet it wasn't fixed.

Btw, Playing the beta doesn't frustrate me only, it was a general statement about how the beta which have lots of bugs could be frustrated for the customer, especially in a game which is already have some frustrating parts (I think I explained it better in my previous post).

I think it was a legitimate question, and obviously this guy: @Deisler26 while we are talking, Isn't going to be happy after his save is probably going to the trash because he got sacked for no valid reasons (seems like from what he described). this is just strengthen what I said.

The game is tested in several ways - they have internal testers (people with the red badges on the forum), they also do private testing where members of the community (and even the wider footballing world) are invited to test the game all before the public beta is released. The public beta is the last stage of testing and is used because the game is massive and complicated so having several thousand people let lose on the game allows rare issues to be picked up or other issues that might not be out and out bugs but are subjective things to be picked up due to the way the public plays the game aswell as allowing the game to be tested on a massive amount of different machines.

At no point was it withheld from people that this is a pre-release version of the game, the game makes it clear that the full release is on the 10th November and the Beta version is subject to change and bugs, and whilst it is unfortunate that a bug caused @Deisler26 to be fired the fact that he has logged the bug and uploaded his save game should hopefully allow SI to work out what went wrong and fix it for the full release. Again no one is forcing you to take part in the public beta, if you don't want to be used as a tester then you are free to buy the game after it's released, wait for the demo or for reviews before deciding to purchase it.

4 hours ago, jam jameson said:

Nic I fully agree with you about playng the game yourself and assess it instead of relying on other users' comments...and I really appreciate your efforts, I cannot say that FM18 is not a 'new' game with a lot of new ideas...but when you come to ME, I think a lot of work has to be done, it's the worse in years and seems full of senseless decisions by the players and even worse execution. Seeing a full match is a different planet than football, it's a (bad) arcade game of soccer, please have a look at it, it just spoils the Whole game!!!

I would have given you credit 100% yesterday but after fighting through the mess and putting my team to my standard patching up the design and replacing players to fit my idea I swear it's a different game, no more long inexplicable passes, no more lazy play from my players, the passes actually connect and goals pile up. 

My point being I think it takes some time for your players to feel the mentality and execution you're trying to impose (which is quite real in football)  and once you get over that hill even the 3d actually adds up and no more random crap flying around. 

I finished 6th last league knocked out in 16th in Europa league so was by no means a great season, had my fare share of WTF!  Moments when inexplicable things went through my players minds, but now after the second season with MY boys and My style the results are coming in, together with what it looks to be a more homogeneous team. 

1509589367448999045462.jpg

Waiting for Retina on Mac before diving in, but one thing I noticed: the game now runs on my desktop window instead of its own separate window like it did in the past. Therefore I can't swipe between the two. Running full screen/100% zoom. Hopefully this is sorted.

35 minutes ago, tyler16 said:

Waiting for Retina on Mac before diving in, but one thing I noticed: the game now runs on my desktop window instead of its own separate window like it did in the past. Therefore I can't swipe between the two. Running full screen/100% zoom. Hopefully this is sorted.

It is a shame. It’s what I loved about Mac FM

12 hours ago, Wells said:

Surely SI can't keep this UI for the full game or is it? just look at the amount of people that are disappointed about your decision of altering and changing things that weren't broken and making us do extra clicks.

Some screens take too long to load specially player profiles and when I click the FM settings.

Overall it is too buggy with broken UI in place. I have refunded the game for now and will just see and wait what FM 19 brings next year, (first time ever I did this - playing since FM 10)

You have to remember there are people who don't comment on the forums that like it and are enjoying it, don't take the people that don't like it that comment as the majority.

Personally I find the UI easy to use, especially once I got used to it, a few extra clicks really isn't that big of a deal and I don't seem to have any issues with screens taking too long to load really either, I think it looks pretty good as well, yes there are areas it can better, but no game is perfect and I for one am thoroughly enjoying the game.

But we all have our own opinions, I just don't get saying the UI is broken, just because you have to click a few extra times and things are moved round.

Edited by sedge11

Two other things re: Mac.

I just loaded FM18 and in preferences the display mode tab was blank. I clicked and was presented with full screen or windowed. After clicking full screen I had to confirm I was changing display modes despite nothing actually changing/me never changing the setting from full screen to begin with. Probably a bug but maybe related to the desktop issue I mentioned above.

Secondly... I know the Retina option will be added, but is the text clarity going to be improved with Retina off? I have a Retina MBP but prefer to have Retina off as the game runs smoother and I can do other things in the background. Screenshots don't do it justice but for reference here's a comparison of FM18 at the moment without Retina and FM17 which was much better. https://imgur.com/a/mERVb

My biggest bugbear right now is at the start of every game I have a friendly fixture pencilled in on my first day in charge against top European opponents and I cannot cancel it. I also have a training camp organised somewhere in Europe at the same time as my team ( Hibs ) start playing their Betfred league cup games. This happens on every new game and has been reported and acknowledged. If I start a game earlier the Betfred games don't appear. So not really had a real opportunity to play the Beta properly until this issue is sorted, kind of ruins the game from day one.

Edited by jc1

I have an issue where sometimes the match starts but the players dont come out of the tunnel and camera just keeps on shifting as if waiting for it. Eventually need to quit and restart even though the game is usable, but the match just won't start.

Could do with some tweaking to dynamics where the manager isn't under constant pressure just because he is trying to be assertive. Surely Kolarov/Hart were influential but the other players at City din't make a fuss of it. I think the whole selling an influential player part is exaggerated in terms of reaction of the other players. 

1 hour ago, tyler16 said:

Yeah hopefully this is fixed, I'm having to CMD + tab between the two currently but its not ideal.

1 hour ago, kartavya said:

Could do with some tweaking to dynamics where the manager isn't under constant pressure just because he is trying to be assertive. Surely Kolarov/Hart were influential but the other players at City din't make a fuss of it. I think the whole selling an influential player part is exaggerated in terms of reaction of the other players. 

Regarding the dynamics and players reacting heavily on influental players being sold I think we all have to accept that our managers in the game are new to the manager part when we create them. So an untested manager swoops in and kick out a world-class manager (for example Guardiola) and then starts selling influental and highly influental players. Why wouldn't players be upset?

A more fair test of the dynamics system would be when we have played 5+ seasons as a manager at a top level, maybe even won some large trophies and then getting the job of say City. Would the response be as extreme or would the welcome be another one?
What will happen when a manager have had success with a club for several years? Will selling an highly influental player make the same ripples or will they simply trust the manager?

53 minutes ago, stevemc said:

Yeah hopefully this is fixed, I'm having to CMD + tab between the two currently but its not ideal.

I swipe up on the trackpad and then put FM into it's own desktop and then I can swipe between it and everything else on my mac as before. My mac seems to remember this as well (usually) so hopefully don't have to do it very often

Edited by mdshep

11 hours ago, Nic Madden said:

how about attacking full back? is he also going to stay wider and be ready for the counter attack?

Is anyone experiencing a black match ball on the 2D viewer ? It's annoying and makes the game look even more amateur than it already is at the moment

The UI is the worst I've ever seen it. Surely all these unnecessary menus have to change on full release?

When i click on player/staff 'i' for their stats it comes up blank until i have to click on their profile to view stats... Ridiculous.

just some feedback on the dynamics in the team. i think its a good edition ish, but its too over played. there needs to be dynamics within the dynamics that moves up and down with how you handle situations. the squad are all too trigger happy to bring you down if you make a decision which isnt reflective of real lilfe at all. yeah you have player power and all lthat but if your winning stuff and are a hard disciplinarian then you would have a lot less moaning throughout the squad.

there needs to be something like a respect for you rating and other ratings for you within the dynamics, fergie just immediatley got rid of players who he thought had too much power and he was hard disciplined and the squad learnt this and knew this. but in the game you can be this way and sell  a player who gives you grief but the other players dont learn and dont change their tactics.

apologies for the spelling im tired after playing this game all night everyday since release :/

17 hours ago, waraka14 said:

This game is extremely buggy. I know it's a beta, but betas are supposed to be stable. This game is anything but stable. No idea how you can close a version with that many bugs in it... btw i played the last 19 versions of this game....

*4 saves all with newcastle and 50 hours game play here.

i have 25 years experience playing and been on these forums since they were here, known in r/l as a seasoned veteran of champ>FM and i have to say the problems with the game are astronomical, yes its beta and things can be expected but its beyond that for me, change your testers for the next product.

The list of fixes for live is gonna need to run into the hundreds.

i love this game too much to refund it and im putting my heart in front of my head purely because i was pretty much brought up playing the franchise but im beyond disappointed so far and expect full release to be x10 better than what im playing now, the only way i can continue with my saves is going afk during matches and ignoring blatant flaws.

That sounds like good stuff. :) Reminds me slightly of FM 2015, where the pick in duty also influenced whether forwards / advanced players would track back or stay high up the pitch... was that intentionally back then, by the way? In that case, the AI couldn't handle it all that well.

12 hours ago, gandrasch said:

Edit: I mean like, how can that be not a sure goal? He shot it wide. 

20171101224403_1.jpg

Looks decent enough from a still shot (hopefully FM is sophisticated enough to also consider that the player's getting closed down, has to trap the ball and control it, at probably high pace to get the shot on target first). If you think there's stuff you should report it (from my experience, SI won't drastically improve finishing rates though.) However, if that's your line of thinking, don't ever place bets, you'd lose a ton of money, and whilst that's still not the holy grail of any stat, the test on the bottom is well worth taking..Even if that were a better opportunity thana penalty (which I doubt due to the pressure on the forward, and him being made to control it all at pace, also footedness?), those are missed too, against all odds.

That's not defending the game, btw....... I've been advocating for better feedback for a long time, no least because the game engine is SI's interpretation of a sports, rather than the sports itself -- they can only try to model it, but will never fully replicate it. I'm saying that if you don't warm up to the thought that outside of penalties and tap-ins and ultra close range stuff, a forward is rarely expected to score, you will face a ton of frustration. From prior I know that SI try to take such research into account... Your best bet is to still report finishes that you deem unrealistic. For instance, ball too readily goes wide, player should have passed the ball instead to another forward for a tap-ing, etc. Individually, in the past few years they have tweaked. HOwever, an overhaul I have never seen. You will see posts such as yours every year.

Edited by Svenc

39 minutes ago, Pizza Lips said:

Is anyone experiencing a black match ball on the 2D viewer ? It's annoying and makes the game look even more amateur than it already is at the moment

The UI is the worst I've ever seen it. Surely all these unnecessary menus have to change on full release?

When i click on player/staff 'i' for their stats it comes up blank until i have to click on their profile to view stats... Ridiculous.

I dont hate the UI to be honest but i do find areas of it to be very laggy

1 minute ago, ChelseaSince86 said:

I dont hate the UI to be honest but i do find areas of it to be very laggy

It is very laggy and additional menus shoehorned in for no reason it seems to me. I imagine with a new skin and playing it for a while we'll get used to it but can't help feel they've tried to fix something that wasn't broken in the first place.

The last year or two have been fine. They could've updated the ME, tweaked a few bugs and updated squads and we'd all have been happy with that.

17 minutes ago, Pizza Lips said:

It is very laggy and additional menus shoehorned in for no reason it seems to me. I imagine with a new skin and playing it for a while we'll get used to it but can't help feel they've tried to fix something that wasn't broken in the first place.

The last year or two have been fine. They could've updated the ME, tweaked a few bugs and updated squads and we'd all have been happy with that.

I think it will be alright come release day, i have faith :-)

53 minutes ago, Domathon said:

*4 saves all with newcastle and 50 hours game play here.

i have 25 years experience playing and been on these forums since they were here, known in r/l as a seasoned veteran of champ>FM and i have to say the problems with the game are astronomical, yes its beta and things can be expected but its beyond that for me, change your testers for the next product.

The list of fixes for live is gonna need to run into the hundreds.

i love this game too much to refund it and im putting my heart in front of my head purely because i was pretty much brought up playing the franchise but im beyond disappointed so far and expect full release to be x10 better than what im playing now, the only way i can continue with my saves is going afk during matches and ignoring blatant flaws.

That is why I refuse to pre-order games anymore and i'm patient enough to wait for the final release. 

The problem is that, in today's age, there has been an excuse that it is too hard to create a game that isn't possible to release a polished game. That a game is bound to have bugs one way or another. Sorry I do not longer buy that. I pay for finish product, be either piece of software or hardware. No excuse. If a game isn't finish by date release, that is not my problem and will not waste my precious time playing a game on my precious free time, in helping developers finish the product. That is their job and not mine (unless I'm being pay to do it). If games are being so unfinished, either delay games to iron out the bugs or scale back on the number of features the game has. Its better Quality, the quantity.

I'm happy to pay full price for their finish and polish product. But I completely cannot support something that has been a bluntly excuse from the developers. It has bugs but don't worry we will correct that with updates. NO... I got screw with several games in the last 3 years that are half finish. The last game I said stop, enough is enough, was Mass Effect Andromeda. 

Also I refuse to buy any game that has any sort of micro transaction in it. Seriously charging even more money for stuff? That is fu**king insane and insulting. The exception is Fifa, since I'football fan and that game can play a player vs player on the same console. Not to mention the Alex Hunter Journey. I don't touch Ultimate Team stuff. The rest of the games has been scratched.

Will I not buy the FMT, due to micro transactions that has in it? Well, first is not the bluntly insulting as some other games. But I would prefer SI, to follow by sort of moral ethics, that charging a full price is enough for them (and it is insult to charge anymore money) to make money. I prefer that SI remove all micro transactions from FMT and FM (not charging In-game editor).

Edited by grade

3 hours ago, sedge11 said:

You have to remember there are people who don't comment on the forums that like it and are enjoying it, don't take the people that don't like it that comment as the majority.

Personally I find the UI easy to use, especially once I got used to it, a few extra clicks really isn't that big of a deal and I don't seem to have any issues with screens taking too long to load really either, I think it looks pretty good as well, yes there are areas it can better, but no game is perfect and I for one am thoroughly enjoying the game.

But we all have our own opinions, I just don't get saying the UI is broken, just because you have to click a few extra times and things are moved round.

You also have to remember that the Steam reviews are in the gutter ( even if you filter out the Chinese Language ones) and the critical reviews have been trending down over time last few years. 

Yeah people come here to complain but it is a feedback thread. The UI is quite a change and will probably be quite divisive unless is sharpened up pretty quickly . I don't think it'd be a huge shock if the game rewiews pretty badly this year ( even if it is still fun).

OT - there seems to be an issue with pass selection.  I've seen play play high balls to players 10 yards away ( which take 3 touches to control) can't upload a pkm as decorating the computer room and the pc its packed up till Sunday 🙈

3 minutes ago, treble_yell_:-) said:

You also have to remember that the Steam reviews are in the gutter ( even if you filter out the Chinese Language ones) and the critical reviews have been trending down over time last few years. 

Yeah people come here to complain but it is a feedback thread. The UI is quite a change and will probably be quite divisive unless is sharpened up pretty quickly . I don't think it'd be a huge shock if the game rewiews pretty badly this year ( even if it is still fun).

OT - there seems to be an issue with pass selection.  I've seen play play high balls to players 10 yards away ( which take 3 touches to control) can't upload a pkm as decorating the computer room and the pc its packed up till Sunday 🙈

And to continue the pattern, you have to remember that most reviews - even from critics - are completely useless.  Especially user reviews.

Honestly, anyone who takes those reviews at face value when you will be able to (although not yet) play a completely free demo and form your own opinion deserves to be miserable. Are people really that lazy these days that they're happy to adopt someone's biased, uninformed opinion as fact?  And that's not just for negative reviews by the way, you can level the same at those that just fire a 10 in when it's undeserved.  FM17 for me was probably around 6.5-7, and imagine FM18 will be around the same.  It's good, I'll get plenty of hours out of it.

23 minutes ago, forameuss said:

And to continue the pattern, you have to remember that most reviews - even from critics - are completely useless.  Especially user reviews.

Honestly, anyone who takes those reviews at face value when you will be able to (although not yet) play a completely free demo and form your own opinion deserves to be miserable. Are people really that lazy these days that they're happy to adopt someone's biased, uninformed opinion as fact?  And that's not just for negative reviews by the way, you can level the same at those that just fire a 10 in when it's undeserved.  FM17 for me was probably around 6.5-7, and imagine FM18 will be around the same.  It's good, I'll get plenty of hours out of it.

Well yeah , of course they do , was that a serious question ? Games media wouldn't exist unless people had a use for it and were actively using it. 

Obviously they're irrelevant to people like us,  we buy every year regardless , but a franchise which relies on only its existing base is one who cam only see years of dwindling sales.  Reviews are important - especially given the complex nature of the game ( and yes I know FMT exists , steams item user stats show barely anyone plays the mode) to bring in the next generation of people who will buy every year. 

Anyway sorry for going way OT - I was enjoying what I played so far despite frustrations with dynamics and the UI .

Edited by treble_yell_:-)

1 hour ago, treble_yell_:-) said:

Oh I get that about reviews but what I was replying to was someone saying that surely SI can't keep the game like this because of some of the views on here and his view that the UI is broken, yea there are some bugs and some improvements needed, which I'm sure will be done for the full release. But I'm just saying that not everyone thinks that it's broken, because the amount of people that buy the game compared to the amount of people that come on here or leave reviews will very much be in the minority, so he can't expect SI to change the whole UI because 50-100 people on here complain about it.

There are some people on here that like and find it easy enough to use.

Also we are getting to play the game 2 weeks before it's released, you don't get that with Fifa or any other console games, so surely you have to expect some issues and teething problems, and it's only 2 weeks for people to wait for them to be fixed instead of going mad about it, and saying how terrible the game is and that is unplayable, which I personally don't ageee with.

13 hours ago, Jibby123 said:

Sounds like watching England play since the 80s irl. :D

But isn't 90% of being a football fan and manager in real life being disappointed 90% of the time in seeing your team not following your perfect model of what should be happening? What would you like to see?

I actually think the ME is pretty good in this version, as in what I expect to see from a player I am trying to give a position or role is fairly well reflected.

"The ME is bad" I never really understood, as in does it mean the graphic representation is rubbish or just players making bad decisions? I get the gripe about the GK leaping down to give a cross out for a corner in current FM18 but more than ever in this version and recent versions if your players make weird choices or can't play like AC Milan in the early 90s then it's a game problem and not your players and especially tactics?

If you're not a shareholder or a developer of SI, the only thing I do not understand is why you bother to spend time to set up such useless answer. I think you didn't read at all what I'h written, nor played a 3d match in full mode, therefore there's no point to go on. If you're happy with the ME I'm happy for you, but please let me free to complain as far as I want. Thanks.

i have no problem with the interface a few extra clicks meh no problem, the tactics and match engine are very bugged and make the game harder than it should be, this isnt just my opinion its very clear.

Just now, Domathon said:

i have no problem with the interface a few extra clicks meh no problem, the tactics and match engine are very bugged and make the game harder than it should be, this isnt just my opinion its very clear.

Could you explain what you think is bugged in tactics and match engine?

The game is not harder than it should be, like any edition of the game its about getting a sound tactical set up and then maintaining high morale.

I'm finding the beta considerably easier than FM17 partly because of the absence of AI super power comebacks that were prevalent on FM17.

If pushed, i'd say the beta is a bit too easy although this is based on a small sample, 1 team, 1 and a bit seasons.

1 hour ago, treble_yell_:-) said:

Thing Miles said 79%, minus the chinese ones, on twitter yesterday. Which, for an unreleased game, is pretty tidy to paraphrase his words. It's not exactly in the gutter. 

If only people treated it as it was, a prerelease beta; and actually opened a thread for every issue, perceived or otherwise, that they felt needed attention.

It's the same hysteria in there every year. Probably time this beta thing moved in a different direction:

• Closed Beta.
  • Month long prior to a demo
  • Demo is two weeks before release.
  • Participation based on constructive and useful feedback with evidence.

At least this way the anecdotal shat with zero supporting evidence is weeded out and the beta is treated as a beta, because right now the tantrums from the self entitled who expect to play a finished product from beta release night are neither constructive, useful to SI or, in several cases, even evidenced beyond personal perception or confirmation bias.

2 hours ago, forameuss said:

I've made a review there for the first time ever on steam.

Does it means i'm lazy? Why talking in general term and disrespecting other reviews?

How do you know what other users experienced from the game? What made them think of making such reviews?

I bought the game to support this company and to support the frenchise, does it mean that i deserve to be misreble? Wth are you talking about?

Anyway, I refund the game because i said the reasons in the previous page or in this, and i dont need other people opinions, i have a grip and i can get my own opinion, learn to respect other people opinions instead of calling them by names.

Edited by MHovel

Well, after playing for lamost a week I must say, my first impression was too optimistic. Passing hasn't improved as much as it looked at first. There is still plenty of stupid passes and kicking the ball out of play in situations where a pass can and should be made.

Another disappointing thing is crossing. Why cross directly to the opposition keeper when there is nobody in the box and a couple of teammates running into the box from the deep?

And what I don't understand at all is tactical breefing. I agree that this is more realistic but how does it work exactly? What is the effect of it? And why there is no debreifing after the match? This is also smth that takes place IRL. If I asked my team to play short passes - why can't I criticise them for failing this objective after the match? I can only provide a negative team talk but I can't explain my players why I'm disappointed with them. And if the team wins the match but plays not the way you instructed them - there is no way to criticise them without lowering their morale.

57 minutes ago, Mr U Rosler said:

The game is not harder than it should be, like any edition of the game its about getting a sound tactical set up and then maintaining high morale.

I'm finding the beta considerably easier than FM17 partly because of the absence of AI super power comebacks that were prevalent on FM17.

I'm curious whether that is due to a fixed few ME "specialties" and AI extremes (which I would welcome!). For instance, the dreaded AI mid-match 3 central forward switch for ten minutes at 0-2 down, which on the occasion can lead to a fistful of easy breaks and a quick 2-2 if you're not cautious. As a) neither do 3 central forwards overly track back much. And b) are the remaining defenders immediately forced one on one / overloaded when you don't watch/prepare for this. Morale is completely irrelevant in that case.

3YyFNa5.jpg

And a few others more. It's slightly like the 4-2-4 AI switch in ten years old FM's. This was perceived as a "cheat tactic" for so long, even though all you needed was coming up with a solution to it, paying a few attention and doing something about it, as primarily that is a tactical thing, as of FM, either way. Naturally, a side affording 3 players jsut staying high up the pitch is somewhat unrealistic. Plus the dynamic shift this used to create is somewhat iffy too --- you could make a case that a side out of  a running game would adapt to this automatically, rather than the manager being required to put a full back on defend duty, so that he stays back in the line to provide additionally cover. This is a simple (AI) switch that from one minute to the next turns the completely match dynamics upside down, as every time your team drops the ball, you are in danger when previously you weren't. (Which also illustrates nicely why looking at final match stats is so limited, btw -- no stat tells what each side was doing in any game specifically).

I had killed comebacks on the previous iteration compeltely, doing the completely unrealistic stunt of conceding but a single goal past the 75th minutes mark for four months in-game time, however I'm not going hooray on this. This is only possible because recycling possession upon taking leads is far easier than it ever would be in a real match of football in-game, in parts as AI has limited means of reactivity. In large parts too though, as pressing on FM isn'T all that great. In particular in deeper areas of the pitch, which then you can take a few advantage of.

Edited by Svenc