Football Manager 2016 Out Now - Official Feedback Thread

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well at least players seem to now cut the ball back, rather than continually shooting from the goal line. This drove me round the bend in FM15.

Now if I can just find a way to make my defenders actually close down and tackle (as they have been explicitly instructed) I'll be a happy man.

Funny you should mention that because I am experiencing exactly the opposite, they always shoot.

:mad:

don't you guys think there are way too many corners ? i just had a game with barcelona away at athletico madrid and it ended with 18-21 corners :eek: and many other games with +15 corners .. + THE BLOCKED SHOTS DRIVING ME NUTS :D

Multiple crashes which seem to always occurs mid-match - more often than not when I'm making subs

Any suggestion as to what I could do to avoid this?

Windowed mode perhaps?

Was winning the 2nd leg of the Spanish cup 4-0 with 20 mins to go when it crashed.

Replayed it and drew 0-0 which meant I lost having been beaten 1-0 in the first leg.

Very very frustrating :(

I'm in a laptop so the left mouse click is the only way I can see to make my subs.

Unless there is an alternative way ?

i really like the ME as it is right now; what i don't like is the huge amount of goals im conceding of crosses. im playing the game on "comprehensive", so i see quite a lot what's going on and i think there should be a larger variety of goal-scoring. right now around 75% of goals my team is conceding come from crosses...

In general I'd say this version is better than last year. But saying that, I've noticed a couple of weird things going on. Not just with the ME but also with the news phrasing. I was in third place with Brentford after two win out of two matches, and yet the news said that I'd be in the relegation zone if I lost the game. Surely that's not very relevant?

My assistant manager gave some weird tactical advice at one point which I tried. We lost the game 3-1. When I reloaded and followed my own tactics we won 4-2. I'm thinking of firing the guy now!

Another thing is the team talk. The ass. manager said the team played well (which they clearly didn't at that point) and everyone looked dejected and "switched off". Not much use to have him tbh.

I holidayed 1 season with just the 3 NI divisions loaded. I got the job with Dungiven Celtic and we were predicted to finish 12th/12. As you can imagine the team needed more players. This, along with my tactics, contributed to my downfall. After 4 matches my job is very insecure. We lost 3/4 drawing 1 and on the 5th game we got hammered 5-0. The board were unimpressed with the match performances and the performances of the new transfers. While getting the sack wouldn't have been a big surprise further into the season, surely getting sacked after 5 is a bit extreme. Is there an issue with the board and sackings, or is this going to be the thing that we have to deal with this year?

Some of the decision making seems to be appalling, even for top flight players. Players often seem to go out of their way to play the most ludicrous passes that have no hope of finding their target when several better options are available.

Also players continually letting the ball roll out for a throw when we have men over and they could easily cross the ball into the box is a problem that remains from FM15.

Match day info screen/Widgets feedback.

On the player ratings widget: The big circles/player numbers are a big waste of space. Would love to turn them off to reduce width.

On the Match stats widget: Too much space between each line ie: shots on target/ Off target/ clear cut chances etc. Less space between each line would be great so that it decreases the window and increases pitch view.

I have to say, contrary to the latest FM releases in the past, ME is in pretty good condition. It's definitely not perfect but I think it provides a much better starting point than the last couple years.

It's hard to tell if the ME is broken or 3D View sometimes, but I had a game where my guy scored, the keeper went into the goal to get the ball and then did a goal kick. I then checked the situation again paying attention to the match text, it said my guy hit the crossbar and it went over, except the shot didn't hit the crossbar at all and went into goal.

When I then started paying attention, I noticed another situation where we scored and the text said the ball hit the post going in. Uhm, it was an own goal that didn't hit the post at all.

3D View seems broken, that's going to confuse people and make it a lot harder to evaluate the ME, at least in regard to on match actions. For the ME evaluation it really seems like you need to ignore matches and just consider statistics.

Is it just me or is it much harder to attract players than it used to be?

I always start at the bottom and work my way up. Prior to FM15, you used to be able to make ridiculous signings, allowing you to build a team capable of winning the league two steps above yours. This was toned down in FM15, but you were still able to sign plenty of players better than what you already had, allowing you to have a whole new starting 11 if you had the budget.

However, in FM16 I can only find about 20 players who are willing to sign for me, who are also better than I started with. 5 of these 20 are in their mid to late 30s, so I have no interest in signing them. Of the 15 remaining players, most of these play in the same position and I've only made five signings.

Don't get me wrong, I'm liking this. In previous versions it was far too easy to build a strong team and walk the league. This time it looks like there might be a challenge available. However, I can't help but think that something is wrong when there are so few better players available to me. Surely if I have the budget, I should be able to sign a greater number of better players?

I have found a similar situation in my game. We used to have so many more possible signings (specifically free transfers and loans) than we do now. You are right that pre-FM15 was probably too easy (though I still enjoyed it), but FM16 feels too restrictive. FM15 seemed like a better mix of fun and realism in terms of signing options.

The specifics:

I manage Coventry in League One. I begged the board to expand our scouting network and then sent scouts to look for loan players in Germany, France, Italy, Spain, Holland, and England. They found:

145 players in England

1 player in France

0 players in Germany, Italy, Spain, and Holland

The best loan candidate from those results would only be my 10th best player on the team. In real life, Coventry has 5 loan players, 4 of whom have a CA noticeably higher than anyone my scouts could find available. If anything, I would prefer the game to err on the easier side of acquiring players, but it seems to be on the opposite side for now.

Ok you convinced me that I am a horrible head coach that I was responsible for Galatasaray losing to Bursaspor 7-1 but how about these 2 blind mice? It cost my 2 points in the 93rd min!

https://vid.me/n6qW

That looks like an awful mistake. As a one off, it shouldn't be an issue but if you're seeing this fairly regularly then it is an ME issue.

If you want to make sure, you can report it in the ME section of the bugs forum with the PKM and let SI check it out. I'm quite confident that they'll agree with my assessment of it, but you never know. :)

I holidayed 1 season with just the 3 NI divisions loaded. I got the job with Dungiven Celtic and we were predicted to finish 12th/12. As you can imagine the team needed more players. This, along with my tactics, contributed to my downfall. After 4 matches my job is very insecure. We lost 3/4 drawing 1 and on the 5th game we got hammered 5-0. The board were unimpressed with the match performances and the performances of the new transfers. While getting the sack wouldn't have been a big surprise further into the season, surely getting sacked after 5 is a bit extreme. Is there an issue with the board and sackings, or is this going to be the thing that we have to deal with this year?

Sounds like a tough board. At Leeds, that would be close to earning a testimonial. :D

Some of the decision making seems to be appalling, even for top flight players. Players often seem to go out of their way to play the most ludicrous passes that have no hope of finding their target when several better options are available. .

This one is a known issue that is being worked on. You're the first person to spot it, and it hasn't been raised in the bugs forum.

It's hard to tell if the ME is broken or 3D View sometimes, but I had a game where my guy scored, the keeper went into the goal to get the ball and then did a goal kick. I then checked the situation again paying attention to the match text, it said my guy hit the crossbar and it went over, except the shot didn't hit the crossbar at all and went into goal.

When I then started paying attention, I noticed another situation where we scored and the text said the ball hit the post going in. Uhm, it was an own goal that didn't hit the post at all.

3D View seems broken, that's going to confuse people and make it a lot harder to evaluate the ME, at least in regard to on match actions. For the ME evaluation it really seems like you need to ignore matches and just consider statistics.

SI are aware of issues with occasional inconsistencies between the text and the 2D/3D representation (obvious it is the text that is wrong). Again, nobody else has mentioned this or created a bug report, but SI already have this on the radar. If you could upload some examples, it would give them more evidence to work with:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/437124-Reporting-a-Match-Engine-Problem

Hey Fancy Gaffot,

If you have it available, could you please post in here - http://community.sigames.com/forumdisplay.php/505-Match-Engine-Issues - with a PKM and the time of the incident? Details on how to upload can be found in there.

Cheers very much,

Seb.

Sigh I really didn't want to bother with FTPs again but since you asked so nicely http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/442882-16-1-1-Unnecessary-risky-throw-in?p=10580220#post10580220

Ok you convinced me that I am a horrible head coach that I was responsible for Galatasaray losing to Bursaspor 7-1 but how about these 2 blind mice? It cost my 2 points in the 93rd min!

https://vid.me/n6qW

Forget the keeper/defender mix up, what about the horrendous pass out by the defender straight to the opposition prior to it, to me that's just as bad.

• SI Staff
Sigh I really didn't want to bother with FTPs again but since you asked so nicely http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/442882-16-1-1-Unnecessary-risky-throw-in?p=10580220#post10580220

Thanks very much for doing so, it's appreciated :thup:

Only really one thing bugging the hell out of me in this version is the colour of ginger/red hair on players, could it be toned down a tad or even changed as seeing a guy run around the pitch with his head looking like it's on fire is very strange indeed, ginger hair is more orange not bright red. :D

• SI Staff
Just a quick one I've noticed. Is it me or do 100% of all retiring players become staff?

They don't/shouldn't.

Obviously as manager you have the option to talk your own players into becoming staff, but you should not be seeing every player in the DB that retires becoming a non-player (staff), especially at AI controlled clubs.

If you have a save where this is the case, could you possibly start a post here - http://community.sigames.com/forumdisplay.php/524-Other-Gameplay-Issues - uploading that save. Details on uploading to our FTP can be found here: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/441296

Cheers,

Seb.

I want more specific reasons to yell at my players. For example I have a lot of trouble with my team getting complacent if they go up a couple of goals and way too often it seems they are just stopping to actually make an effort. They are walking instead of running, stand and watch when they should go for the ball and so on. Been experimenting with different team talks and sideline shouts and still can't get them to play 90 minutes. I just wish I could tell them exactly what I think, without some vague I'm not pleased with the result. I now what they do wrong but there is no option for me to tell them that.

I want more specific reasons to yell at my players. For example I have a lot of trouble with my team getting complacent if they go up a couple of goals and way too often it seems they are just stopping to actually make an effort. They are walking instead of running, stand and watch when they should go for the ball and so on. Been experimenting with different team talks and sideline shouts and still can't get them to play 90 minutes. I just wish I could tell them exactly what I think, without some vague I'm not pleased with the result. I now what they do wrong but there is no option for me to tell them that.

It would be great.

I have players on my shortlist but I not get notified when other clubs bid for them.

Check your subscriptions settings.

I have 2 annoyances to add:

1. In the top calendar when I play in knockout rounds it always says for example Dortmund (1st) or Chelsea (1st), though it's a cup competition and they don't hold any particular places.

2. When my players return from loans I get no notifications. I've sent my youngster on short term loans twice this season (didn't really check for how long) and then twice in pre-match team selection I suddenly see that he's available. Apparently his loan finished some time earlier but I wasn't told.

As it's already been mentioned before, number of nerve-wrecking passes from defenders to GK is just insane.

Every game I have at least 3-4 of those and it's not a surprise if you concede because keeper just hits the enemy attacker that pressures the ball or if the pass is just too short.

I don't use play out of defense, but it still happens.

It's not my tactics because enemy team also does that.

Some of those passes are just crazy. Your keeper parries a shot from 20 meters out and your defender gets the ball just to pass it right back at the keeper for him to clear it out instantly.

This is an incredibly minor issue which I suspect cannot be fixed, and shouldn't bother me anyway. But here goes - it seems that on FM16 any player with 18 or higher for a position is considered a 'natural' and has that listed as their main position, leading to lots of players having two, three or more 'natural' positions listed when you're picking them. Because I'm anally retentive, this annoys me - I like players to be listed by only one natural position (in previous games they only get a 'natural' rating if they're rated 20) so that they're all easy to find on shortlists, squad lists etc.

So my questions are...

1) can I change this back myself?

2a) has this change gone down well?

2b) if not, will it be changed back?

To clarify, I have already clicked "only show natural positions" in Preferences, which removes any positions they have 14-18 for.

Cheers!

Hi,

doesn´t read all the replies, but i am totally pleased, that after some years now the screen flow is running for me. Perfect!

Where do you find it this year? And how do you use it? I remember trying to set it up to track competitions I am not in but it never worked for me as well as I wanted.

ME is almost there, so well done there. I think the injuries for midfielders are too much. For every game my mids are in they spend at least as much time out, and I'm going out of my way to coddle them. I looked at the editor, and none have high injury proneness. Also the kit rendering is a but dubious, and the ball all but invisible in 3D. Aside from that, good stuff.

This is an incredibly minor issue which I suspect cannot be fixed, and shouldn't bother me anyway. But here goes - it seems that on FM16 any player with 18 or higher for a position is considered a 'natural' and has that listed as their main position, leading to lots of players having two, three or more 'natural' positions listed when you're picking them. Because I'm anally retentive, this annoys me - I like players to be listed by only one natural position (in previous games they only get a 'natural' rating if they're rated 20) so that they're all easy to find on shortlists, squad lists etc.

So my questions are...

1) can I change this back myself?

2a) has this change gone down well?

2b) if not, will it be changed back?

To clarify, I have already clicked "only show natural positions" in Preferences, which removes any positions they have 14-18 for.

Cheers!

Can't you remove the "Position" column and replace it with the "Best Position" column? The latter will only ever show one position.

Bit of a random one and not sure if it's a bug or working as designed: Basically I bid for a player (Thiago Maia at Santos) and after some negotiation they asked for £17 million flat - no add ons, which was accepted. He was denied a work permit and subsequently I didn't sign him.

Now I want to try again - he's unhappy and wants to move but isn't transfer listed but I thought I might be able to negotiate them down a bit, except I can't because the £17 million is locked at non-negotiable from the first deal... Is there any way to get it unlocked so I can negotiate?

I have been trying out a possession based philosophy - short passing, retain possession. My goalkeeper has passing 5 and kicking 7, but throwing 18. So, I naturally thought, also in light of the said philosophy, that I would have him roll it out - which would/should aid the 'play out of defense' instruction... The only problem is that I haven't noticed the keeper rolling it out in any of the matches (comprehensive highlights) - I just played a game on full to see if he did because the highlights I chose might not show that part, but unfortunately it doesn't seem to be the case and the keeper keeps deciding on punting the ball up field...

This is the best Match Engine at launch that i can remember for a long time, props!
I agree with this. When it gets even close to what FM15 match engine is, I might finally consider buying FM16. Interesting how they always manage to break a working match engine, every single year.

There is a positive side to this, though: when FM16 ME is finally fixed sometime next year, I can get the game for half the price it is now :)

Can't you remove the "Position" column and replace it with the "Best Position" column? The latter will only ever show one position.

Where is the best position option? I checked in the obvious place and could only find 'position' and 'secondary position'.

Archived