Football Manager 2016 Out Now - Official Feedback Thread

I'd also report it as an example of the awful defending of crosses. There are three defenders on the six yard line and only one appears interested in the ball, and the near post defender doesn't even try to intercept.

The near post defender would need to have a hydraulic head to intercept that. Also, it's the East Stirlingshire defence, so on my own knowledge, that level of defending is pretty spot on.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is quite a huge problem with the behavior the players in the ME adopt when using Attack duties - especially in the more attacking strategies. I am aware that Attacking mentalities equates to more forward passes, but in this ME it is quite extreme. Even with 'play out of defense' and 'retain possession' the players will ignore these instructions and try to launch the ball to the lone striker (who is covered by multiple players) instead of the other passing options the said player would have chosen if he had been given a Supporting duty.

Another major concern is that when balls are crossed from wide, between three and five players seem to all jump for the ball at the same time and appear to collectively head the ball away.

The last major concern, is that back pass that ends in a corner - even seen serveral instances where there is a throw in far up the pitch and the ball is thrown to a defender who then launches a back pass from the middle of the pitch out for a corner to the opposition.

A minor concern I have is - why does the Central Midfielder role have his Closing Down set to 'Less' compared to all the other central midfield roles? If the whole team adopts a 'sometimes' Closing Down framework - the CM has only less or more Closing Down options...

3 seasons in and Rafa Benitez has just joined 19th place Wolves. Not saying this is impossible but, a manager of his reputation has a very small chance of taking such a job in my opinion

This is a welcomed thing for me. Some managers get sacked all the time IRL and as such their reputation declines. However, IRL, most managers of Rafa's caliber take breaks when they are fired from high profile clubs and wait until the right opportunity comes along. In FM they just get right back in the thick of it. In fact, Rafa will likely be sacked shortly and he will for sure go into hiding again.

If it wasn't for Didi Hamman in Instanbul, Benitez would probably be Wolves manager in real life right now. As it is, that one European Cup triumph has somehow led one of the most painfully average managers in Europe to top jobs ever since. I'll be surprised if he gets another one now, mind.

I don't know why but for some reason when I load up FM, even with just 0 leagues selected, it says I have 1 and half stars for both performance and speed.

I don't recall my PC being that bad last year, is that something wrong with the game?

How do I find my PC information and, if needed, improve it?

This unnecessary fixture congestion is really starting to bug me.

As you can see there were no mid week fixtures for three weeks and then suddenly for some reason I'm playing the only cup match on Thursday instead of Wednesday like everyone else.

Then because of that I have to play the league game on Sunday instead of Saturday, having less time for rest before the Champions League game.

Then after that I'm playing on Saturday instead of Sunday? Why? There are no mid-week games in the week after that.

The opposition has a lot more sensible schedule and no games every other day.

gExMWzm.png

Is anyone else finding that players completely ignore your set piece set up? I've just spent about 20 minutes on setting 3 routines up (because you can't mirror for left and right side and can't see my players in a list with their heading, marking, etc attributes anywhere) and my players are just doing what they want.

My best corner taker is my best long shots player. I have him on 2 of the 3 routines and on the 3rd I have a different corner taker, set to play it short to my left back, with my usual corner taker lurking outside the box. I notice that my 'different' corner taker was taking the corner but he just flung it into the box. My left back and my usual corner taker were on my half way line so I had 5 men back when the opposition didn't have a single player forward. What a waste of time.

As you can see there were no mid week fixtures for three weeks and then suddenly for some reason I'm playing the only cup match on Thursday instead of Wednesday like everyone else.

Then because of that I have to play the league game on Sunday instead of Saturday, having less time for rest before the Champions League game.

Then after that I'm playing on Saturday instead of Sunday? Why? There are no mid-week games in the week after that.

gExMWzm.png

It's clearly affecting your form :p

There's not a lot wrong with that, a Thur-Sun-Wed-Sat sequence is perfectly normal.

By the way, as much as I like the new way you can alter the timeframe for the analysis, such as narrowing down a certain timeframe within a match to check the heatmap etc, it's a bit rubbish that you can see the exact heat map for the 2nd half of a game when it's only half time. I know the whole game is calculated at the beginning, and this is why it probably shows this, but if you're trying to analyse the first half of a game, you need to put the right hand slider across to the 45 min mark, otherwise the heat map shows for the entire 90mins, even though you haven't seen the 2nd half by this point. I'm not sure how this can be fixed, unless you change the way the calculations work and have each 45 mins calculated at separate times.

By the way, as much as I like the new way you can alter the timeframe for the analysis, such as narrowing down a certain timeframe within a match to check the heatmap etc, it's a bit rubbish that you can see the exact heat map for the 2nd half of a game when it's only half time. I know the whole game is calculated at the beginning, and this is why it probably shows this, but if you're trying to analyse the first half of a game, you need to put the right hand slider across to the 45 min mark, otherwise the heat map shows for the entire 90mins, even though you haven't seen the 2nd half by this point. I'm not sure how this can be fixed, unless you change the way the calculations work and have each 45 mins calculated at separate times.

Or just automatically show the map for the completed minutes of the match.

Two random thoughts after playing a few games just now:

Some passing combinations are fantastic. I see prettier goals than I could produce in fifa/pes.

Players choose the worst moments to shoot it seems. They won't shoot when open, instead they'll dribble forward and shoot when the defender is 2 feet away from them, resulting in a blocked shot.

It's clearly affecting your form :p

There's not a lot wrong with that, a Thur-Sun-Wed-Sat sequence is perfectly normal.

Well, during the CL groupstage phase and illogical choices between Saturday or Sunday for league fixtures I lost a lot of points and got a few injuries. I'm pointing that out because irl Serie A games are sometimes played even on Friday/Monday if one team has long travels for CL/EL games.

Well, during the CL groupstage phase and illogical choices between Saturday or Sunday for league fixtures I lost a lot of points and got a few injuries. I'm pointing that out because irl Serie A games are sometimes played even on Friday/Monday if one team has long travels for CL/EL games.

Who are you managing? As you're in Italy my first thought would the that this could be a consequence of ground sharing.

Who are you managing? As you're in Italy my first thought would the that this could be a consequence of ground sharing.

I'm managing Inter.

Why would ground sharing be an issue? One team plays home and other one plays away, I don't see how would one day make a difference.

In that specific case Milan didn't have any European games over the week so that's not an issue.

I'm managing Inter.

Why would ground sharing be an issue? One team plays home and other one plays away, I don't see how would one day make a difference.

In that specific case Milan didn't have any European games over the week so that's not an issue.

It might have been an issue if the cup draws & match scheduling do not make full allowances for two team using the same ground, irl if both clubs are in the Champions League they are kept to different game weeks but in FM I do not believe that sort of draw protection is in place.

It might have been an issue if the cup draws & match scheduling do not make full allowances for two team using the same ground, irl if both clubs are in the Champions League they are kept to different game weeks but in FM I do not believe that sort of draw protection is in place.

Milan didn't play any European cups at the time.

They played Qtr final of the national Cup on Wednesday at home, while I played away on Thursday.

It was the phase with only one game, so that couldn't be an issue.

No, with the additional information you have now provided your Copa Italia fixture being played on Thursday could not be due to your ground sharing irl.

What I would suggest is if you have a save point before the QF draw is made then please post about in the league issues section of the bugs forum & provide a copy of the save, doing this will allow SI to investigate & identify the actual cause.

gExMWzm.png

What congestion?

The cup game was moved because of TV - you get paid for that.

Secondly,. if you play Thursday, you will normally play on the Sunday and not the Saturday. Genuinely can't see the issue.

What congestion?

The cup game was moved because of TV - you get paid for that.

Secondly,. if you play Thursday, you will normally play on the Sunday and not the Saturday. Genuinely can't see the issue.

You and me both, I'm staggered he's been asked to upload the save. There is nothing wrong with this whatsoever.

I'll try to find the save.

Congestion is that I'm playing Lazio in away game with them having one day rest more than me for no reason.

Then I'm having another day of rest taken from me by playing on Saturday instead of Sunday vs Sampdoria.

http://www.whoscored.com/Teams/87/Fixtures/Italy-Juventus

http://www.whoscored.com/Teams/84/Fixtures/Italy-Roma

Check that out.

Literally every game prior to CL mid-week game is on Saturday and every game after CL is on Sunday, for both teams.

If the game has English leagues simulated to perfection with fixture scheduling and everything, this shouldn't be a big issue to fix.

Also, next week Napoli is playing in EL on Thrusday, and Napoli-Inter game is played on Monday after that.

gExMWzm.png

That's nothing really. For English teams in the Europa League a schedule like that would be normal. In real life in Italy they do try to help the CL teams a bit more than that but replicating that in FM would be hard and probably end up creating more issues than anything else.

In FM15 I had to play 4 games in 7 days with Marseille two seasons in a row because of a bug with the scheduling of European games and the League Cup.

Ah nevermind.

I'm actually so done with this game, until some fixes that is.

Wonderful feeling of wasting your free Sunday to play half a season and finally managing to close down on Juventus with 11 wins in a row, just to draw home to Bologna to typical 1 shot draw. And your best winger break his foot in the process. In the nex matchday two of your other best wingers also get month+ injuries and you lose because your DL passed back to your GK in a dangerous situation. Then your GK shoots in your DL and he scores an own goal.

Brilliant.

Did I mention that there's a mid week league fixture after that, where I'm playing on Thursday, day after Juventus. And I have to play them on Sunday, away.

Wonderful.

Ah nevermind.

I'm actually so done with this game, until some fixes that is.

None of the 'fixes' the game needs would have prevented what happened to you there I'm afraid. But of course the game is broken because you don't win every single game, get a few injuries and have to play four games in 10 days. Dearie me.

None of the 'fixes' the game needs would have prevented what happened to you there I'm afraid. But of course the game is broken because you don't win every single game, get a few injuries and have to play four games in 10 days. Dearie me.

I actually played like 5-6 season on different saves before I got my tactics right.

But yea, it's so typical for defenders to back pass in every dangerous situation.

It's pretty common for 70-80% of the goals in all matches, not just mine, to be scored from crosses. And everyone's fullbacks to act like Madrid defense.

And everyone from couple dozen people that complained about it is wrong. It's just controlled football where you play out from defense by passing back to your keeper when he parries a dangerous shot instead of clearing the ball.

And it's pretty common for 3 of your players of the same position to get injured for the rest of the season within interval of 5 days.

Moving fixtures like that every time just because of TV rights never happens, and that stands. I gave you those links from this season to check out.

I actually played like 5-6 season on different saves before I got my tactics right.

But yea, it's so typical for defenders to back pass in every dangerous situation.

It's pretty common for 70-80% of the goals in all matches, not just mine, to be scored from crosses. And everyone's fullbacks to act like Madrid defense.

And everyone from couple dozen people that complained about it is wrong. It's just controlled football where you play out from defense by passing back to your keeper when he parries a dangerous shot instead of clearing the ball.

And it's pretty common for 3 of your players of the same position to get injured for the rest of the season within interval of 5 days.

Moving fixtures like that every time just because of TV rights never happens, and that stands. I gave you those links from this season to check out.

Were you just as moany when you were in the middle of your 11-game win streak? Or was everything tickety boo at that point.

As for injuries, get over it. I know it's annoying when players in the same position get injured at once, but injuries are part of the game, and are an area of FM that have worked fine for years. As with everyone else, the reason those players is either down to something you've done or just simple bad luck.

Were you just as moany when you were in the middle of your 11-game win streak? Or was everything tickety boo at that point.

As for injuries, get over it. I know it's annoying when players in the same position get injured at once, but injuries are part of the game, and are an area of FM that have worked fine for years. As with everyone else, the reason those players is either down to something you've done or just simple bad luck.

Yes, actually I was moany. Like first half of the wins came by pure luck. I was playing a balanced tactics and I was getting dominated by relegation zone teams, scoring goals based on the stupid ME where having attacking fullbacks and wingers + a decent striker means you'll score a couple of goals every game.

I've been playing 4-3-1-2 primarily for like 7-8 years now, and I couldn't make it work in this version only. No chance. Lack of wide players means you're done.

Just check some of the goals you score/concede after overlap runs from fullbacks. Opposition fullbacks are completely incapable of realizing they should cover the guy that's coming from deep instead of closing down the winger. You get like 10 completely free crosses from that every game.

Yes, actually I was moany.

Nope, couldn't find any posts from you suggesting you were unhappy during this period. I did, however, find this gem from your career thread.

This start isn't like anything in the let's say English leagues because you're playing only 38 games of Serie A and maximum of 5 games in Coppa Italia which starts in December for you. And the board doesn't care about Coppa anyway. You can do just fine with 18-19 players and three goalkeepers, just to be safe.

Unless, of course, it results in that oh-so taxing run of four games in ten days.

:lol:

I'm only messing btw, it's a shame you have such a downer on the game. I don't really notice the high amount of crosses or any OP'ness from fullbacks as I'm usually too engrossed in trying to win the match I'm in. I also watch mostly on 2d classic, so I dunno if I just miss the worst of the animation errors that a lot of people mistake as errors from the engine itself.

Nope, couldn't find any posts from you suggesting you were unhappy during this period. I did, however, find this gem from your career thread.

Unless, of course, it results in that oh-so taxing run of four games in ten days.

:lol:

I'm only messing btw, it's a shame you have such a downer on the game. I don't really notice the high amount of crosses or any OP'ness from fullbacks as I'm usually too engrossed in trying to win the match I'm in. I also watch mostly on 2d classic, so I dunno if I just miss the worst of the animation errors that a lot of people mistake as errors from the engine itself.

I was referred to the first season there m8, where you don't have any continental cups. <.<

It's not the animations, it's obvious there are issues with wide defending.

If I have a winger that tracks back and FB in 2v2 situation on the flank it never goes the way it should.

I had to give up from 'close down more' completely because players would wander around, especially defenders, even on rigid fluidity.

And even without closing down, they go out of the defensive line, by trying to help their teammate instead of covering the back so full-back that's coming from deep doesn't get a free cross.

Idk about you, but for the past 4-5 FM games full-backs have been my absolutely best players, unless I had 1 goal per game strikers, often times having 7.5+ avg rating over the season.

And they always did bad defensively.

Well, I've just had a match in which players of both teams just stood and looked at the ball for about 8-9 minutes. It went like this: opposition cleared the ball to have their injured player treated, we returned the ball from the throw-in, and then no one touched the ball, it just stood there with players standing and looking at it. Then, in the 92nd minute, one of their players fouled one of mine for no reason, and then we had a free kick, and then the game ended. I lost 2-1. I am slightly upset.

Well, I've just had a match in which players of both teams just stood and looked at the ball for about 8-9 minutes. It went like this: opposition cleared the ball to have their injured player treated, we returned the ball from the throw-in, and then no one touched the ball, it just stood there with players standing and looking at it. Then, in the 92nd minute, one of their players fouled one of mine for no reason, and then we had a free kick, and then the game ended. I lost 2-1. I am slightly upset.

Have you not updated the game since the beta? That issue was fixed ages ago.

Hi, I'd just like to raise some issues with the 3d match engine. I've just upgraded to FM 2016 after playing FM 2014 since it came out and in my opinion the FM2014 match engine is way better than this, so I'm very surprised that in over 2 years the match engine appears to have got worse. I should point out that I know I'm playing in the lower leagues, but if the programmers think that this is how lower league football looks, then that's an insult. There's no doubt that the management side of the game has improved since FM 2014 (I haven't played FM2015 so can't comment on that) with some nice tweaks, and the whole game looks great and is very easy to navigate around. However this counts for nothing if the 3d match engine doesn't pass muster as this is the most exciting part of the game, where all the time spent over the management screens comes to fruition. So you can imagine the frustration to witness a game that looks like it's been programmed by someone who has had a football match described to them, but has never actually seen one. Sorry to be blunt but this an as honest opinion, and as I say, with a few exceptions the match engine in FM2014 is pretty good. To give you a few specifics, firstly the players look deformed, they don't move properly - they look as if they are running in treacle or else they look as if they are skating around on ice. The ball doesn't move at all realistically, it moves very much in a straight line. The AI is supposed to be improved which again I find a bit hard to believe. To give some obvious examples, which I'm sure everyone has experienced, the keepers stand there on the goal line whilst a striker runs in and knocks the ball past them from a yard out, or else they watch it go a foot past them without making an attempt to dive, or they are making virtually impossible world class saves. The in match speed is too slow - I've had to put it up a notch to make it look remotely realistic. Players still pass through each other like ghosts (like they did in FM2014) or they run across their own player knocking the ball to an opponent (again a problem with FM2014). Also again like 2014 at free kicks the goalies still stand on the goal line. Have you ever seen a keeper do this in real life? No, because they don't. Why has no-one ever noticed these and corrected them if they have been around since FM2014? Also every time a striker runs through on goal clear of the defence he will stop, wait for all the defenders to get back, then blast the ball against on of them. Every time! it's just incredibly frustrating to watch and completely ruins the game for me. I could go on, but I think you get the idea. So apologies if it appears I'm criticising people who have no doubt spent hours working on the match engine, but I'm trying to give honest feedback, as I am seriously thinking of going back to FM2014.

2 issues:

1 - Friendlies cancel themselves immediately after being agreed. (Internationals)

2 - Press conferences ask redundant questions - i.e. "Rooney is about to break the record for goalscoring for England." - He's been removed from the squad injured.

3 - I lied, 3rd issue - Managers get sacked too much for curious reasons:

Two easy examples:

Van Gaal is sacked with United at 4th, in the 6th round of the FA Cup and in the Euros. He had a rough run of fixtures, lost four or five on the bounce, but they looked like close games. He was sacked to 'change their fortunes', but really he wasn't that far off what United might have been expected in the first season!

Rodgers - Sunderland get him after sacking Allardyce, they're rock bottom at 20th and they manage to get up the table but in the end can't survive and relegate. He gets sacked immediately. Surely, Sunderland should have been keeping hold of him for rebuilding rather than basically going through 2 managers within 3/4 months? He was picked up right at the back end of the season too, so not really much leeway for him to pull off the great escape.

One thing that has stood out for me in the last few incarnations of the game is the amount of players who get dropped from their national teams if they aren't playing regular football. IRL with all the home nations they have players playing for the national side who aren't regulars for their Club and it certainly isn't cut and dried that if you aren't a regular for your Club you won't be picked for the national team. Ok they may not necessarily start but they are often in the squad. Even at England level with players like Townsend at Spurs, Milner when he was at Man City, Kieran Gibbs and Ryan Mason this is the real life situation. Unfortunately in FM as soon as a player hasn't been playing for his Club he is seemingly dumped very quickly from the National squad.

can someone explain to me what Mathieu is doing here ? tackling the player.. staying around and then he runs away instead of taking the fkn ball :mad: a bug ? happened a few times before .

I think he just gets dispossessed after making the initial tackle. Probably just an instance of the 3D animations not being that great rather than a bug.

Why are shots that hit the woodwork not counted as shots?

I guess I just don't understand the math. 8 shots. 2 on target, 5 off target, 1 blocked, and 10 woodwork. what?

I think there are some instances where woodwork hits are being registered wrongly.. I had a game today where one shot that hit bar counted as 4 towards the woodwork stat.

Why are shots that hit the woodwork not counted as shots?

I guess I just don't understand the math. 8 shots. 2 on target, 5 off target, 1 blocked, and 10 woodwork. what?

Have a look at the clip below that screenshot and it'll be much clearer.

aha.gif

can someone explain to me what Mathieu is doing here ? tackling the player.. staying around and then he runs away instead of taking the fkn ball :mad: a bug ? happened a few times before .

Just a lack in the animations, I suppose. I played against that winger today and was wondering why his name is I.CAVALEIRO on the pitch and not just his surname in regular non-shouting letters.

Van Gaal is sacked with United at 4th, in the 6th round of the FA Cup and in the Euros. He had a rough run of fixtures, lost four or five on the bounce, but they looked like close games. He was sacked to 'change their fortunes', but really he wasn't that far off what United might have been expected in the first season!

just though I'd point out that Van Gaal on FM now has the [joint] most reputable squad in England right now - so the board expectations have been increased (many ManUtd managers complained that a title win on the RC build was a massive increase from continental qualification on the beta)

of which I would take a guess that it's been due to a Chelsea nerf, given where they currently are IRL

Archived