Football Manager 2016 Out Now - Official Feedback Thread

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like to start with a manager who has no experience and no licenses, which means I'm applying to lower league jobs. When I apply to Berwick, I always get the interview question, "Can you explain why you appear to be in the running for a few jobs right now?"

How do I answer, "I'm not."?

I have my nationality set to Canadian and I always get offered the U-20s job right out of the gate, but turn it down. Is this the other job they're implying I applied for? I've not applied for any other jobs, only the Berwick one.

I'm seeing some pretty atrocious defending to be honest but is it bad defending or buggy defending?

This has taken me three hours and several deleted attempts to put up. The encoding times seem extremely excessive this year compared to FM15. When I just record "goals" and uploaded the package only two of the three goals were recorded despite all being available on preview and on one attempt at recording custom clips what was encoded wasn't actually what I recorded!!! The quality is also poor and this was recorded via "high quality option on the match highlights" and "very high encoded quality". I originally recorded "low ME quality option" and "high quality encoding" and it was unwatchable so advise those uploading clips to save time use the very highest quality options available! Plus why is every year the record button greyed out?!

Anyway. The three goals I conceded.... Just bad defending or buggy defending?

[video=youtube;nFjidQXlalc]

1. Guess you can argue we see these all the time IRL. Just shoddy marking and bad goalkeeping from a free kick. Think I'll be tinkering with the set piece default!!

2. A comedy of errors. This isn't low League football it's the Premiership. What on earth is Payet doing from Sakho's poor header?! In fact what is Sakho doing just heading it with time and space to just chest that down? Payet then turns his back on the ball and that is poor at any level of football let alone top flight. Cresswell then follows the ball which is clearly a weakness of a 4312 and the Southampton full back has all the space in the world to play a cross but what's Tomkins doing with his arm in the air like that I am not playing offside!!!

3. You certainly don't expect this from a defender with high'ish composure. I certainly don't expect this when my goalkeeper has very high decisions, anticipation, reflexes, communication and agility. Mind you they didn't help him on the last two goals either!!! Maybe it's his low rushing out stat that overrules the others !

Whilst all three I guess can be put down to just bad defending it is also frustrating to see all three goals littered with bad passes and mistakes from my lot but faultless crisp passing and decision making from the opponents. It's also a worry that if it is just lousy defending they are also mistakes that as a manager I can do nothing about. It's not tactical bar maybe playing a narrow formation so I would argue that I can't avoid any of that that happening. I haven't got world class defenders but they are good Premier League defenders and all errors are basic schoolboy mistakes and the Payet standing still like a statue is either a sacking offence or a bug.

If as I say I just have to accept that as bad defending I am going to be conceding a lot of goals this season!!

Glad I asked. I kinda thought it was the opposite.

Presuming the super mellow player still has ambitioon, professionalism, etc, is there any way it's a negative?

I guess (and clutching at straws here) that he probably wouldn't get up for derby games that much, so a passionate team talk probably wouldn't work as well

although that could also be a good thing, as he'd treat it like any other game

Glad I asked. I kinda thought it was the opposite.

Presuming the super mellow player still has ambitioon, professionalism, etc, is there any way it's a negative?

I guess (and clutching at straws here) that he probably wouldn't get up for derby games that much, so a passionate team talk probably wouldn't work as well

although that could also be a good thing, as he'd treat it like any other game

No, there is really no negative at all to this. Unless you like a player that sasses the ref and picks up a card or has a tantrum when you have a player chat with him or sub him out :) As for getting up for a derby match etc., it really has nothing to do with temperament which is best described, I think, as how well they control themselves, not how passionate they are.

You have selected the bar/graph display. Click on the wheel thing right next to it.

Won't make a difference. All that does is show you the player's average rating (and fitness) below the shirt where the role usually is. The poster's issue will be he's probably in between assistant managers.

By the way, been playing this a lot over the last few days. Apart from a few occasions, I don't really see the issue of fullbacks not keeping their shape and allowing wingers too much space. I mean, it happens occasionally, but then the players aren't robots, they will stray from position from time to time. However, the one area of concern I do have with this year's ME, and it might just be the level I'm playing at (Truro, VCN), but the amount of 'hospital' passes the players make - both me and the opposition - is quite something. For those not familiar with the vernacular, I mean ridiculous 30+ yard crossfield passes in the vain attempt it reaches a team mate but which is more often than not intercepted. I could sort of understand if a player is forced into it due to a lack of options, but most of these times, there are far better options.

Other than that, seems to be a pretty solid engine this year. Changes you make do seem to have an effect, both positive and negative, and when the analysis tool is fully fixed, that will work well in conjunction with it. It also seems to be a notch up in difficulty this year. FM15 was a tad easy for me, which means it must have been stupidly easy for those who are actually good at the game. This one is much less forgiving, and is better for it. Good work.

By the way, been playing this a lot over the last few days. Apart from a few occasions, I don't really see the issue of fullbacks not keeping their shape and allowing wingers too much space. I mean, it happens occasionally, but then the players aren't robots, they will stray from position from time to time. However, the one area of concern I do have with this year's ME, and it might just be the level I'm playing at (Truro, VCN), but the amount of 'hospital' passes the players make - both me and the opposition - is quite something.

1. The full back issue is definitely regarded as a bug, and is being worked on. The fundamental problem is that on occasions, the far post full back leaves his zone and gets far too tight to the DC on that side. It exposes the flank and creates too much space when switches of play occur. It is still a legitimate means of scoring a goal of course, it just looks wrong at the moment. Not all switches of play are affected by this, but when you get one you simply can't miss it

2. The hospital passes are also regarded as an issue; also being worked on

For those not familiar with the vernacular, I mean ridiculous 30+ yard crossfield passes in the vain attempt it reaches a team mate but which is more often than not intercepted.

I thought a "hospital" pass was a simple pass needlessly over or under hit, meaning the receiving player has to challenge for it unnecessarily.

1. The full back issue is definitely regarded as a bug, and is being worked on. The fundamental problem is that on occasions, the far post full back leaves his zone and gets far too tight to the DC on that side. It exposes the flank and creates too much space when switches of play occur. It is still a legitimate means of scoring a goal of course, it just looks wrong at the moment. Not all switches of play are affected by this, but when you get one you simply can't miss it

2. The hospital passes are also regarded as an issue; also being worked on

I know you ll say when its ready but can we expect a fix patch before january or SI wont plan anything before this month, just to know if i leave the game for now as i cant really start a career game atm

I know you ll say when its ready but can we expect a fix patch before january or SI wont plan anything before this month, just to know if i leave the game for now as i cant really start a career game atm

There is never a defined update plan, but if we look at recent history then we won't be seeing you until Christmas time.

I thought a "hospital" pass was a simple pass needlessly over or under hit, meaning the receiving player has to challenge for it unnecessarily.

Up here in Jockland, it's normally referred to when a player tries an over ambitious pass with little hope of success that results in an opposition player easily getting there first, also known as a 'Charlie Adam', although what you describe is also a variant of it.

Up here in Jockland, it's normally referred to when a player tries an over ambitious pass with little hope of success that results in an opposition player easily getting there first, also known as a 'Charlie Adam', although what you describe is also a variant of it.

Also Scottish and his definition of hospital pass is the one I've always known. The Charlie Adam pass is just a Holywood ball.

Where would the hospital part even come into it in your version? I've always heard it used when a pass is short or stray resulting in getting (enthusiastically :)) tackled.

I've always thought a hospital pass was one that was heavy and meant it was a 50-50 challenge to win it, meaning someone won't come out of it very well, the Charlie Adam pass is known as the Hollywood pass, 40-50 yards diagonal in the hope of putting it on a sixpence(old school coinage :) )

I guess my problem with the game is that I don't have time any more for complete game immersion.

In older versions of FM - FM12 and before, you could pretty much start up a game and get to work.

I just find now, especially with FM 16 - there's too much leg work to be done before starting. I understand there's "Touch" versions and quick start games, but these are limited and not the full FM game.

I used to spend days/weeks/months immersed in the game, but can't do this with FM16 as it is just too long winded to get going.

I'll just keep with FM12 as I quite enjoy it and get up and started on a new save pretty quick. Suits me and I don't have time to be so immersed in a game like FM16 that it demands and I don't like the watered down versions.

Also Scottish and his definition of hospital pass is the one I've always known. The Charlie Adam pass is just a Holywood ball.

Where would the hospital part even come into it in your version? I've always heard it used when a pass is short or stray resulting in getting (enthusiastically :)) tackled.

I've always thought a hospital pass was one that was heavy and meant it was a 50-50 challenge to win it, meaning someone won't come out of it very well, the Charlie Adam pass is known as the Hollywood pass, 40-50 yards diagonal in the hope of putting it on a sixpence(old school coinage :) )

You're possibly correct, I'm perhaps getting mixed up between the two.

I just find now, especially with FM 16 - there's too much leg work to be done before starting. I understand there's "Touch" versions and quick start games, but these are limited and not the full FM game.

I used to spend days/weeks/months immersed in the game, but can't do this with FM16 as it is just too long winded to get going.

I'll just keep with FM12 as I quite enjoy it and get up and started on a new save pretty quick. Suits me and I don't have time to be so immersed in a game like FM16 that it demands and I don't like the watered down versions.

What you do on FM Classic now is pretty much what you could do in older full versions. Don't really see your logic here.

EDIT - Also, on FM16, you can choose at the start of the game to start your career on the opening day of the league season, so that the AM controls all the early pre-season stuff, meaning you start with a league game almost straight away.

I guess my problem with the game is that I don't have time any more for complete game immersion.

In older versions of FM - FM12 and before, you could pretty much start up a game and get to work.

FMT is more full featured than the version you're playing.

No disrespect dude, but you're complaining you don't have time for full fast FM yet dismissing the "cut down" versions that you maybe don't fully understand?

RTHerringbone is the FMT man iirc, he'll be able to twill you how good FMT is these days.

Side Note: Football Manager Touch is an awful name that gives off the wrong idea about what the game is.

RTHerringbone is the FMT man iirc, he'll be able to twill you how good FMT is these days.

I'm here on cue :)

FMT is better than last year, and it was already good last year.

Smurf - If you download the demo, look at FMT. It strips out all the stuff that slows the game down and you can even Instant Result through matches if you want to go extremely fast.

What you do on FM Classic now is pretty much what you could do in older full versions. Don't really see your logic here.

EDIT - Also, on FM16, you can choose at the start of the game to start your career on the opening day of the league season, so that the AM controls all the early pre-season stuff, meaning you start with a league game almost straight away.

Guess my point is that's it to immersive and I prefer the older format.it's not as immersive. The ui is cleaner. It's not without its flaws ...but works better for me.

Not sure I can invest the level of immerseness in a game.

I agree, FMT is great. The regular mode takes too long for me and needs too much micromanagement. With FMT I blow through seasons fast. The only downside to it is you can't play edited databases, but hopefully that will be added in a future version.

Guess my point is that's it to immersive and I prefer the older format.it's not as immersive. The ui is cleaner. It's not without its flaws ...but works better for me.

Not sure I can invest the level of immerseness in a game.

To be honest, FM Classic sounds like just the game mode for you. Take your pre-conceptions, and shove them to one side, and dive in. It's still the full game essentially, but with a lot of the tedious stuff done under the hood. The match engine's the same, the tactics are the same, the transfers are the same, the amount of leagues and players is the same. What you don't get are long winded press conferences, the same level of moaning players, the endless staff meetings, the dull task of sorting out loads of staff, etc etc.

As someone mentioned above, the Classic mode is reallu just what the full mode was prior to FM13. Some might say it's more than that.

Another convert to FMT or Classic as it was previously. Started playing it when I got fed up with morale and team tactic familiarity. I just wanted to pick,play and tweak and FMT nails that perfectly. I too was a bit sceptical that I'd be missing something from 'full fat' but I don't. Granted, there may be something specific you think you cannot live without but given you can demo it then you've got nothing to lose and a lot to gain. I don't like the Touch name but to me the mode captures the beautiful side of the beautiful game.

(PS: "I've been playing for over 20 years so I know what I'm tookin' about" - sorry couldn't resist a kids tv show quote that nobody will probably get!)

I'm here on cue :)

FMT is better than last year, and it was already good last year.

Smurf - If you download the demo, look at FMT. It strips out all the stuff that slows the game down and you can even Instant Result through matches if you want to go extremely fast.

Ok - you've all beaten me into submission - I'll try the FMT.

But it's not the same as the full fat version - otherwise there wouldn't be two versions.

I'm not a fan of Instant Results either... but I guess I can give it a go.

How is it 'not intuitive'? And there's a number of different skins included this year as well if you don't like the default one. Anyway, it's hardly 'horrendous', it's arguably nicer looking than the full game's skin this year.

Sounds like you're just making excuses now. It's a game mode that'll suit your needs perfectly, and you're not willing to try it because of some pre-conceived notion of what it's like. Your choice of course, but you're missing out.

EDIT - Or maybe you are now :applause:

But why buy a game that is FM16 to play a game like FM12 - when I already have FM12...

*sighs*

It's more like FM12 than what the full FM16 is like in terms of speed of play. It's not actually anything like FM12.

It's like pulling teeth on here sometimes. :p

Just try the demo, basing your opinion off of how FMC/T was 3 years ago is silly.

FMT is just a (much) faster version of the full game with a lot of the tedious stuff stripped out.

I should probably try it myself as I just dedignate press/training etc to my AM and coaches anyway, I only play to reach the summer and ruin my team with too many transfers :)

Edit: Wasn't 12 before the ME rebuild as well?

Edit: Wasn't 12 before the ME rebuild as well?

It was. Think FM13 was the first game with the new (improved) ME where you couldn't just ghost straight through defenders with quick players.

10 offside for my team .. But AI does not have this problem. What does it mean?

That one or more of the below is probably true

- the opposition is playing the offside perfectly

- your players are far too keen and making runs too early

- they're playing a very high line and getting lucky

Not a big fan of how the high pressing physically looks in the ME. It works fine when you get the tactics right, the problem i have though is that generally only 1 player closes down at a time (the closest to the ball/player usually). what i'd like to see is a few players surrounding the man on the ball, especially when full backs and wingers have it out wide. Rather than only my winger closing down the full back, i'd love to see my striker and CAM come over and help press. They do a great job in stopping the ball from going sideways at time but, given that my tactics and instructions are supposed to encourage hard closing down, it'd look better and show my tactics better. Far from a bug but certainly something i feel that can help show your tactics more. I've always said that i don't feel that ME shows faults in tactics well enough. At times i know my style can be a fault when coming up against some teams. Certainly this would be a way of helping people who struggle with tactics see why it may not be working

Right, but this looks like it's before any preseason games. And it will work, because regardless of what the graph/form area is doing in the screenshot, he's still not selected the suitability wheel.

I've not selected the suitability wheel here either, but the circles are still there.

W3QERP4.png

Unless you mean something else.

i'd love to see my striker and CAM come over and help press.

Which would leave two opposition players completely free. In fact, the way that players are hunting in packs at the moment according to some is one of the game's biggest faults, yet you're seeing the opposite.

I guess if you have a more fluid mentality and more freedom for the individuals concerned, and also specifically ask those players to close down more, this will lend itself to getting the solution you want. Although why you'd want this to happen is perhaps somewhat more of a mystery.

Some of the bugs that get through are mental.

Summer 2016. 6 of my squad are still at Euro 2016 when I have to select my training camp squad. I cannot select these 6, they are set as 'ine'

They finish up at the Euros & camp kicks off. They all go ballistic and fall out with me demanding moves.

6 of my best players. Thanks. Basically just lost two weeks of game time because I'm clearly going to reload.

Some of the bugs that get through are mental.

Summer 2016. 6 of my squad are still at Euro 2016 when I have to select my training camp squad. I cannot select these 6, they are set as 'ine'

They finish up at the Euros & camp kicks off. They all go ballistic and fall out with me demanding moves.

6 of my best players. Thanks. Basically just lost two weeks of game time because I'm clearly going to reload.

Would be great if you can upload the save to the bugs forum. Saves from before an issue really kicks off are always much appreciated.

No, there is really no negative at all to this. Unless you like a player that sasses the ref and picks up a card or has a tantrum when you have a player chat with him or sub him out :) As for getting up for a derby match etc., it really has nothing to do with temperament which is best described, I think, as how well they control themselves, not how passionate they are.

That's awesome. I just signed up a young AM with some interesting random attributes, the personality being one them. Hoping I stick to this save purely to see how he develops.

Has there been any changes to scouting (or is there any known bugs ?)

I signed good scouts , all 17/17 at the minimum , but some seem to get stuck in a loop where they just don't find anybody.

Anyone else experienced similar ?

What have you asked your scouts to do? Who are you managing? What's the in-game date? Are you under a transfer embargo?

Archived