England - Euro 2016 Thread

Djstu23

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I love it!

Love it that everyone's scared of us and that we're dominating every game we've played so far. Compared to the actual lethargic football we've been playing for YEARS, this is refreshing, attack minded and so close to working. We're not quite there yet, but in 2 years time this team is going to be mental.

MENTAL mate.

Personally I prefer my refreshing attack minded football to involve a goal from open play more than once every three games, but whatever floats your boat. We've definitely had more possession than the last couple of Euros we've played in. Fewer goals and worse results against considerably weaker opposition, but more possession. Are you van Gaal?

I'm surprised you haven't noticed Dier. Before last night's game I thought he'd been a bit wasteful of possession in attacking positions. But last night he made more incisive passes than Alli or Rooney did.

Brilliant long range pass at one point. We would be in real trouble if he got injured

Would not be surprised if Dier keeps this up the big sides in Europe and Man City seriously look at dropping a substantial sum on him to test Spurs. At the moment looks like a Busquets style player which is a huge compliment.

Real bright light this tournament how he has stepped up, more so because it's a position we are seriously weak in.

His footballing education in a more technique based environment like Portugal has clearly had an influence on him. Shame more young English players don't try new cultures and styles but with all the money in the Prem where's the incentive? Much easier to just earn a massive wedge playing for Chelsea or Man City reserves.

He's no Owen Hargreaves ;) but I too welcome the emergence of a proper DM. Haven't had one in a while and Dier's pretty much the first name on the teamsheet now such is his importance to the shape, tempo and cover of the team.

There was a point in the match last night where Joe Hart signalled that Dier needed to come off I think, couldn't help but think how ****ed we'd have been if he'd picked up an injury that would see him miss a few games. Would've been fine if we'd taken Drinkwater.

England into the last sixteen? Check. Wales? Check. Northern Ireland? Check. Scotland. Ah. Damn.

Come on mate, you must have noticed by now that Scotland wasn't there!

Anyway us Scots aren't much of football fans these days..... big tennis fans though.

?

Italy, Spain, Germany, and France all in our half of the draw.

Wales have got Croatia, Poland and Switzerland so far.

As I said, by far our easiest group in ages and with the easiest knockout match in the following round too ... entire side of the draw opened up and we blew it. It was essential to win this group in a tournament where group winners face damn 3rd placed teams! Dominated 3 matches and still couldn't do it

I don't mind so much the full backs or a full back but I'd have definitely started Rooney and then taken him off if all going well, Wilshere just not fit to start. It was idiotic, looked idiotic and turned out idiotic

It's not really the changes that hurt us, it's the way we link up in the final third and that draw against Russia. We are still not getting the best from the front 3, why they are not deployed as a 10 and 2 forwards when we are trying to play angled passes and one touch through the middle is beyond me. We still could and should have won that last game, but his job is to set us up in the best way possible, and he's not doing that

Walker was our best player against Wales & Clyne the best against Slovakia, so the change wasn't a problem. Bertrand on the other side wasn't as good & was far inferior to Rose, as well as could have got send off for a vicious swing of his arm smashing into that blokes nose.

Yeah it was very noticeable how much better we were on the right with Walker and Clyne, most of our better wing play went down the right as it did in the previous two games but Bertrand isn't as good as Rose and it was quite clear to see.

Said after the draw to Russia that we'd quite possibly messed our whole tournament up and that's shaping up to be the case. Had we topped the group the route to the final was a realistic option, now we've got to beat another top nation all the way through bar maybe the last 16 to get there.

Feels like we've lost the momentum and the 'high' from the Wales game by drawing to Slovakia and blowing a golden opportunity.

It's easy to say rotation cost us but there's no real basis to say our first choice 11(whatever that is?) would've won the game, all three performances have been very similar. Spain kept the same side and lost, maybe they should've freshened their team up a bit.

It's easy to say rotation cost us but there's no real basis to say our first choice 11(whatever that is?) would've won the game, all three performances have been very similar. Spain kept the same side and lost, maybe they should've freshened their team up a bit.

Spain totally switched off and thought they'd had it sewn up, letting Ramos take the pen showed that.

Yeh agree with what Hodgson said, I'm not sure the first XI would have made a great deal of difference. That first XI still struggled to score from open play vs. Russia.

Everyone was crying out for Kane to be dropped. He did it. Play Vardy and Sturridge. He did that too. Drop Sterling. Done.

Spain totally switched off and thought they'd had it sewn up, letting Ramos take the pen showed that.

How did they think they had it sewn up when it was 1-1 & Croatia weren't just sitting back defending?

Not sure what team to play on monday, guess we'll know once we know who we're up against.

If it's Austria, or Hungary then Sturridge should start with Kane up front. Kane kinda needs to start, he's the only striker we have who can actually play with his back to goal and hold up the ball. Needs to be a lot better though.

Lallana will start, as will obviously Dier. Rooney goes back into his new box to box role and then I'm guessing he'll be paired with Alli, but it's not really happened for him so wouldn't be suprised to see Wilshere or Henderson in there in his place.

If we're up against Portugal, I bet Milner gets a run out somewhere, maybe alongside Dier.

Back 5 picks itself.

Kinda want to have Portugal tbh. I know it's the harder game, but it'll be so much better than watching us dominate and fail to break down the other teams.

Yeh agree with what Hodgson said, I'm not sure the first XI would have made a great deal of difference. That first XI still struggled to score from open play vs. Russia.
Totally agree. In many ways we looked pretty good. I'd actually be minded to just bring Walker and Rose back in and go with the Slovakia team.

Totally agree. In many ways we looked pretty good. I'd actually be minded to just bring Walker and Rose back in and go with the Slovakia team.

Apart from Wilshere right? And I would bring back Kane and drop the one world class striker England has. He is good as a sub to inject late in to the game.

Apart from Wilshere right? And I would bring back Kane and drop the one world class striker England has. He is good as a sub to inject late in to the game.

Much like others I think it should be 2 up top and if thats the case Kane/Sturridge makes the most sense.

Sturridge is arguably our most natural goalscorer while Vardy would be more effective than Sturridge off the bench.

Archived