England - Euro 2016 Thread

Djstu23

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never seen a worse performance for England as I saw from Kane tonight. Rooney was bad too but Kane's been consistently woeful for the duration of the tournament. Hope the next manager drops him for a while, could be the kick up the arse he needs.

For ****s sake lads theres an important political situation going on and all you can talk about is football

well Brexit will stop our teams helping themselves to foreign youths and develop some English goales with full strength wrists, and forward men who can beat a man.

Never seen a worse performance for England as I saw from Kane tonight. Rooney was bad too but Kane's been consistently woeful for the duration of the tournament. Hope the next manager drops him for a while, could be the kick up the arse he needs.

Kane wasn't that bad, had a couple of decent efforts, thought Alli and Sturridge had shockers.

well Brexit will stop our teams helping themselves to foreign youths and develop some English goales with full strength wrists, and forward men who can beat a man.

There are some decent GKs out there atm. Johnstone needs a Prem loan next season urgently. Pickford should get more chances for Sunderland next year. Forster we all know should really be replacing Hart. But some of them aren't getting enough chances yet.

There are some decent GKs out there atm. Johnstone needs a Prem loan next season urgently. Pickford should get more chances for Sunderland next year. Forster we all know should really be replacing Hart. But some of them aren't getting enough chances yet.

Butland?!?!

when are we gonna get a manager who doesnt play his players out of position is the biggest question on my lips.

id also like a manager who dosent have his 'boys'. When will we ever just pick a team/squad based on form etc

Too many of the carthorses in our squad

Yeah. Just a few players that the next manager needs to drop for the opening WC qualifiers (which, if the manager's English, won't happen sadly):

Hart - good keeper but too overconfident and that makes him prone to errors, needs to be dropped to remind him there are other capable keepers that can take his place.

Rooney - We don't know his place in the team anymore and I don't think he does either. Maybe call him up as a squad player because of his experience that he can pass down, but not as a starter.

Sterling - Too one footed, too one dimensional. Once a defender susses him out, he's out of the match. Needs to go.

Kane - Just look at the last 4 games he's played.

Wilshere - far too off the pace. Needs more games under his belt before being allowed anywhere near the England side again.

England don't learn from their mistakes and are destined to repeat them. The tactics and selections were a big part, but it's all the little things as well. For example, England were knocked out in Euro 2000 and Euro 2008 qualifiers by having just one keeper and not blooding anyone else. Roy goes on to use Hart in every possible game, including friendlies and non-competitive qualifiers. If England had pulled through, he wouldn't have been able to drop Hart even if he wanted to. Or if he did, his replacement would not have been fully prepared.

Overall it's the preparation that is awful nearly every time. England just bring 11 players, some of them not fit or in form, play a load of games at Wembley, then expect to go somewhere else, everyone hit form and reach the semis at least.

Am I the only who thought Sterling played ok tonight? Won the penalty, actually seemed a bit more direct, caused more problems than most?

Yeah he was fine, but people need a scapegoat and Sterling is an easy target

Blame lies fully with Roy for this. A few players need to step aside yes but not the youngsters. Kane is our best striker and he can be for 10 years. Sterling is a young player and could still play a huge role in the future for us. They might not be guaranteed to start our next game. Good. Players are too safe. Stones should have played every game this tournament, Barkley can open defences yet never came on. Strikers don't equal goals. You need to give them service. Every decision Roy could get wrong, he got wrong. Squad, starting 11's, Sub apart from one game, tactics, set piece takers.

Am I the only who thought Sterling played ok tonight? Won the penalty, actually seemed a bit more direct, caused more problems than most?

He's just dumb. Runs straight into defenders. There's no finesse whatsoever. Terrible.

Still wasn't the worst England player. I was worried for my windows when Kane was on free kicks.

Sterling may be young, but Rashford is younger and did more in 8 minutes

Sterling looked impressive when he was that age. Rashford is an unknown quantity still, he's still fearless and nobody expects anything from him. He shouldn't have even been there.

BBC gave 4's to everyone

and said this about Rashford

Almost a contender for England's man of the match with his running and endeavour…in his four minutes.

Bit harsh to give him a 4/10 considering he didn't put a foot wrong and was simply brought on about 30 minutes too late.

I posted this in the other thread as well but I guess a few of you will be avoiding that so I just want you to know that me, Gregg, Penge etc aren't looking for apologies or anything like that. We aren't going to rub it in your faces or anything. How were you to know we would be right about Wales being a better side? Like I say, no hard feelings from our end lads and hopefully you can enjoy watching us on Friday evening as a bit of familiarity and interest for the 1/4 finals. It'll be a tough game and I think Belgium owe us one after not beating us the past three games but we will endeavour to do our best for you boys as the only home nation remaining in the competition, and the only home nation to win our group.

I did try telling you before the tournament... ;)

Yup, and I shall listen to you a bit more attentively in future...

To be fair, I wasn't to know he'd ****ing go rip up a system he used successfully in qualifying. I'm still optimistic for 2018 :D. Just need to unearth a Pogba like central midfielder. Maybe Noble's time to shine will come then.

Just a complete and utter shambles really, I don't even care or know where to begin. Rooney retiring would be a nice start.

Rooney Retiring?

please... hardly his fault

Oh come on, of course it's not but his time is up. He's been a brilliant servant to team and rightly an England legend, but he should make way for the future. It's the right thing to do. He's too old, too slow and there's no point in shoehorning into the team.

what Future? who else is playing in midfield other then him? Milner he is also old and slow.

Even though I enjoyed Rooney in midfield, it more or less meant we had to move Alli from playing in as the #10 where he's been insane this season.

Don't want him to retire though, still think he's one of our best players. I honestly blame our failure on Hodgson

Even though I enjoyed Rooney in midfield, it more or less meant we had to move Alli from playing in as the #10 where he's been insane this season.

Don't want him to retire though, still think he's one of our best players. I honestly blame our failure on Hodgson

Alli has also been playing as a CM.he didn't get moved because of Rooney, he got moved because Roy wanted to play 4-3-3 which he has done for some time, even though the squad we picked should have been playing a diamond.

Alli has also been playing as a CM.he didn't get moved because of Rooney, he got moved because Roy wanted to play 4-3-3 which he has done for some time, even though the squad we picked should have been playing a diamond.

He played as a 10 for Spurs though where he was brilliant.

Like I said, Hodgson was the failure here - he didn't know his best system which meant he took players who didn't suit the one he chose. He took players either out of form or severely unfit and well, the team played shocking.

Shocking performance and result yet all too predictable. As soon as that 2nd goal went in I had that sense of dread. Just couldn't see us scoring. 70 minutes to put it right. Iceland did amazing but best will in the world we should beat them but you don't have an automatic right to that, got to turn up

Joe Hart again though *sigh* The louder he sings the more erratic he is on the pitch

Is it even worth going over all the stuff we go over after every exit? With the Premier League as it is we will never see a successful national side. There are too many middling overseas players in the league. English players are so damn expensive cause there aren't any of them. Whenever you want quotas the same rubbish comes up about 'OMG Zola, Bergkamp, Aguero' but that's not the issue, the issue and the players making up the squads

There needs to be a focus on youth, these players need a chance and not just Rashford coming in at 18 and being amazing but all the other youth, they need to develop, play top league level football regularly and get better. More coaching too. It's not a quick fix, which is why nothing will happen again. When the Premier League have all the power and FA can't dictate anything to them and these clubs are run as a business then why should they care about bringing youth through? We created this and we repeat the same stuff after every tournament, it's tiresome

Nothing will change here and this will happen again and again and again and again and again

Exactly, nothing new to be said, I am surprised the reaction on here isn't stronger, think everyone is the same, just *sigh* and continue about your day, which is probably what most of the squad are doing as well

You know what this means though? Back to fans booing England players for our games. A vicious circle as the players become even more fearful and we play even worse and the boos become more. I thought we did quite well to shake that off and get back to an even footing but I can really see that happening again

It doesn't help but how else can fans express their disappointment. Fans don't want to boo, we don't want to be disappointed but we're like a battered wives (OMG you compared football to domestic violence!!1! etc), we keep going back for more

Most countries can only dream of our following, of 60K watching friendlies, the loyalty. It'll all be forgotten soon because there will be some big money, foreign, of course, signings for everyone's premier league clubs, this guy, that guy, this guy and the penny will never drop

I tell you, Quals start soon and we play the Jocks, this is a great time for them to play us!!

Archived