England - Euro 2016 Thread

Djstu23

I find it hard to judge them. It's easy to look at their results and say they suck. But they've created a load of chances that they should have scored over the two games - Nani has had two, Ronaldo has had two (not including his penalty). Someone else has had a headed effort as well that should have gone in. So I find their results a bit 'false'. Austria had absolutely nothing and were lucky to get a 0-0. Iceland were a bit better, but also should have been beaten.

But then they won't create that many against a better team like England.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Portugal would rip us apart.

That isn't an "England are crap blah blah blah" statement. They actually would. Our defensive positioning is poor. Portugal have a very good attack, constantly moving, passing, switching etc. Smalling wont know whats hit him.

Portugal have played an Iceland side playing with no pressure on them whatsoever and were just very unlucky last night against Austria. Who, don't forget, were a lot of peoples dark horses before a ball was kicked.

I've not seen one team that might/will/should qualify that England would beat.

So from that list above, where I outlined every team cEngland can face on the way to the SF, you don't think they can beat any of them?

On paper yes. In qualification yes. In a tournament no.

Romania - Haven't looked too bad so far

Albania - Plucky underdog, no pressure

Czech Republic - Maybe a chance but they showed the other night they don't give up, it could be a tough game

Croatia - Great team, decent going forward and would cause us massive problems

Belgium - would seriously hurt us on the counter

Hungary - another plucky underdog playing with no pressure

Portugal - same as Belgium

Iceland - if they play like they have been for the first 177 of the tournament then we would find it tough

Personal opinions obviously as this is tournament football. But I wouldn't be confident in any of those games.

Belgium and Croatia would be very difficult games and if we lost I'd be understanding. Portugal I'd be more annoyed at losing to than Belgium and Croatia, but again I'd get it. Any of the others I'd be very, very annoyed at losing against.

Czech Republic - Maybe a chance but they showed the other night they don't give up, it could be a tough game

Iceland - if they play like they have been for the first 177 of the tournament then we would find it tough

Personal opinions obviously as this is tournament football. But I wouldn't be confident in any of those games.

this is absolute rubbish, we would be massive favourites to beat Romania, Albania, Hungary, Czech Republic and Iceland and rightly so, those 5 have very few decent attacking players (off the top of my head, the best any of them have is Gylffi Siggurdsson?) to put our Defence under any kind of pressure, Portugal would have a chance if Ronaldo finds his shooting boots, but they dont play as a team and we have shown that we can play well against their tactical set up (albeit against lesser players on the whole) in the friendly a few months ago, Belgium would be a concern as they have some very good players, but their manager is inept and again, they dont play as a team, Croatia would be the biggest concern, but if Modric is out for any length of time, then much less of one.

This is absolute drivel.

So you'd be alright if we got knocked out by Romania, Albania, Czech Republic, Hungary or Iceland? Not one of those teams would cause us major issues and we'd comfortably dispatch them if we got them in the knockouts.

Belgium would be a tough game, they'd be a real handful and it'd probably be a 50/50 game, too close to call. We'd be favourites if we got Portugal or Croatia but only just.

We've got a very decent chance of making the semi finals if we top our group tomorrow night.

That's just the England fan mentality though. Years of bumbling our way through tournaments will always leave us not fully confident in us beating someone. But you can't see 'I can't see us beating them' as we clearly could. Hence the bookies would make us favourites for most of those games.

Tell you what. Wandering around France talking to people of all different nationalities and serious numbers of people have England pegged as potential winners.

Because, like France, they have a very good draw. I struggle to see a scenario where England beat Spain in the SF (assuming Spain win group and get there), which is why I don't think they'll win it. But a SF with these teams in their way should be a minimum expectation

Yeah, Spain would be hugely tough. Wouldn't expect us to win that in the slightest.

I wouldn't fancy it but if we played on the counter with Vardy and Sturridge/Rashford up top there's a very good chance we'll score and we're just hoping our crayon eaters at the back hold out

Decent possibility to face Albania now but more likely to be facing 3rd in Group D.

Only way we can face the Czech Rep would be for Croatia to take something from their match vs Spain so more likely Croatia or Turkey.

Don't understand that. I know England are still better on paper than Slovakia, but I think they're also the team most likely to cause England problems defensively in this group. Unless he's banking on them playing for a draw. Coming runner up in will really damage chances of going further than the QF

Don't understand that. I know England are still better on paper than Slovakia, but I think they're also the team most likely to cause England problems defensively in this group. Unless he's banking on them playing for a draw. Coming runner up in will really damage chances of going further than the QF

On their day I think England is capable of beating any of the teams in the tournament.

You simply can't use the same 11 every game, it leads to tiredness in those playing while those not lose sharpness from not playing.

None of those rotations are particularly huge drop offs though in fairness other than probably Walker for Clyne and Rooney for Hendo on their form so far (even though I rate Hendo higher than most).

Alli, Sterling and Kane haven't performed particularly well and Sturridge, Vardy and Wilshere probably deserve a chance ahead of them anyway and Walker/Rose have done a mental amount of running that resting them is probably for the best regardless of how good they are. Hendo for Rooney would be a surprise but I was really impressed with him in the Germany game and did so much work letting the other players attack. Faster pace for the counter as Slovakia are more likely to attack us of the teams so far too.

Actually not sure if it will be Alli or Lallana thinking about it.

Good to see that whenever a team faces us they suddenly become one of the best team ever and their players become amazing!

Saw this rotation stuff, hmmmm, could hideously backfire, not sure it's called for

Huge risk if it goes wrong

Good to see that whenever a team faces us they suddenly become one of the best team ever and their players become amazing!

Saw this rotation stuff, hmmmm, could hideously backfire, not sure it's called for

Huge risk if it goes wrong

I fancy we're going to see a little reversal today, and we'll be defending whilst Slovakia do the bulk of the attacking.

Pressure's off today a little, maybe a rest/like for like changes might be good, especially for making sure some players get some game time for matches they might feature should we progress beyond.

Apart from Spain, and possibly France and maybe the way Italy have started, don't think there's another team so far I've seen and thought they'd instantly be better.

Saw the distance covered stat earlier today, Alii was on top, surprised to Rooney 5th ahead of Walker. He might not look it, but he's definitely still got an engine.

Yeah I'm pretty happy with that rumoured team. Henderson is the only "ughhh" player selected there for me, the rest more than deserve a pop and I don't feel we are weakening our team by doing so at all.

Too many changes' date=' how are you meant to build momentum?[/quote']

It's a fine balance, without the changes what happens when a couple of players get injured or suspended in the next game or so and you have to bring on players who've not played since competitively since May?

There's enough quality there to win, if anything Sturridge and Vardy are upgrades on the current form of Kane and Sterling, and Wilshere is at the very least equal to midfielder Rooney.

I don't mind a bit of rotation

I think previously we have had a strong XI and then any changes were weakening the team whereas I think now we may not have as good as our first XI has been but the bench players are similar level in that it's not weakening full backs to rotate them, for instance

I am wary of too many changes in the sense I don't want it being considered as taking the foot off the gas. That shouldn't be the case but ... hopefully not

Slovakia may look at that and think same team for two games and now 6 different players, these are not the 6 best as they weren't starting before and give them a little pep in their step

6 changes is a bit much, but I agree a lotvwith Bliss' comment just above...it isn't really big considering who will end up starting. Big game though, and Slovakia are dangerous to a certain extent. If we go 1 behind in the first half it could be the usual English disaster that we're used to :(

Is there any way of us crashing out tonight?

For that to happen:

England need to lose, possibly by more than one goal.

Northern Ireland need to get a point (or better) vs. Germany

Czech Republic need to beat Turkey, and maybe by more than one goal depending on England's hypothetical 'loss'

Sweden or Ireland (preferably Sweden as their GD is better) need to beat Belgium/Italy. As above, Sweden may need to win by more than one goal. If Ireland, then they will need to win by 2 or 3 goals.

Portugal and Iceland need to win their last games. Portugal need to win by one goal (or fewer than England lose by).

That would leave four teams on 4 points, and all with a better GD than England.

Is there any way of us crashing out tonight?

Albania are 3rd with 3 points so we are ahead of them. We would have to have all the rest of the 3rd place teams to get 4 points to equal us and us to have a worse goal difference than all of them for us to go out.

We have Slovakia in our qualifying group for the World Cup and you know there's no chance of a full team playing in those, they'll be players dropping out left and right so might be a good tester for not having a full side out in the Quals

How about that for a positive spin :brock:

I like the rumoured team. Not so much that players need resting but more that others need game time. You don't want to stick with same team and win a quarter final against Belgium but then get a couple of injuries and suspensions and need to bring in 4 players that haven't played at all for a semi versus Spain.

Now if Alli or Rooney get suspended or injured (not exactly a far fetched event), the likes of Henderson and Wilshere will be able to step in having had some game time over the last month.

And I know Henderson has his detractors but he is very good positionally and defensively. He will do a job at helping keep us solid tonight and let the more attacking players attack. A team with 2 good, hungry, marauding full backs with Wilshere in behind a front 2 of Sturridge and Vardy, shielded and protected by Dier and Henderson, should be more than enough to beat Slovakia. It's hardly significantly worse than putting Rooney or Alli in.

Positives far outweigh the risks for me. If you get to the final you play 7 games and so it is essential we get players game time in case they're needed. No point turning up to play unless you're aiming to go all the way.

Archived