*Official* Football Manager 2023 Feedback Thread

3 hours ago, greenz81 said:

The refusal of releasing a change list after beta is always a suspicious move.

They have never released a change list in any previous games so I don't know what you're trying to insinuate.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, iAlwaysWin said:

Not being funny here but why do you care if its financially possible or not? Si finances should not concern you....if money is no object then we would all want the very best game possible.

Who said I cared? It still stands as something they have said: moving from a yearly model to a subscription based model would not financially work for them. 

24 minutes ago, HighFlyingDwarf said:

I'm not sure on what basis this comment is made? The value proposition given by this years game is arguably as much or less than the transition between CM4 to 03-04 and CM3 thru 01-02, and none of those games had any issues with any sales based on the information on public record. It's a different era I know, but still.

Is there any evidence to suggest that not changing tack on approach to the release schedule would be financially detrimental to SI? I would argue that given the player base, it's far more viable for hardcore FM fans to buy the game every single year, even when knowing dramatic updates may not happen until a new numbered release. (This has been cited by both mere plebians such as I and influencers such as the roundtable of FM creators)

In any case, I don't expect any commentary from the community is really going to change things radically regardless.

Commentary from Si themselves. As you say, it's a very different era, can't really compare to back them

5 hours ago, metal_guitarist said:

There has only been one genuine occasion the game was unplayable at launch, that was back in FM09 when the DRM servers got DDOS'd and no-one could activate the game. Let's stop throwing hyperbole around and stick to facts. The game is more than playable at the moment. Yes it has it's issues but there's nothing gamebreaking like you claim.

Maybe unplayable its an overstatement. but i think game-breaking bugs its individual point of view. and it seems that im not the only one that leaves the game for now and waiting for future update fix.

in last years realeses i started to play several month after release ,after fix, because i suffered from the bugs.

im sure SI will not ignore and will fix these bugs. but im prefer they will release stable new game per 2-3 years other than yearly game thats feels the same as last version but with new annoying bugs.

Edited by Style

2 minutes ago, Style said:

Maybe unplayable its an overstatement. but i think game-breaking bugs its individual point of view. and it seems that im not the only one that leaves the game for now and waiting for future update fix.

in last years realeses i started to play several month after release ,after fix, because i suffered from the bugs.

im sure SI will not ignore and will fix these bugs. but im rather they will release stable new game per 2-3 years other than yearly game thats feels the same as last version but with new annoying bugs.

The ME feels 100% different. Lets be honest, not many aspects of the game changes at this point because outside international management and maybe set pieces, what can they really do differently that would mean better? I still think this ME is better than anything FM22 produced. There may be some unknown (to me) issues that impact longer saves but this is definitely the best release day version ever. 

1 minute ago, limey150781 said:

Lets be honest, not many aspects of the game changes at this point because outside international management and maybe set pieces, what can they really do differently that would mean better? 

Yet they still release a “new” game every year. If there is nothing new to add like you say (apart from those features you mention, that they neglected again this year) the how can they justify selling FM22 again as a new game? You’ve hit the nail on the head

8 minutes ago, BrightLad5 said:

Yet they still release a “new” game every year. If there is nothing new to add like you say (apart from those features you mention, that they neglected again this year) the how can they justify selling FM22 again as a new game? You’ve hit the nail on the head

Well not really, as I feel a brand new ME warrants a new release along with the obvious date updates...

3 hours ago, SC00P0NE said:

I did play half a season with barcelona during beta, and I didn't see any of those reported ME issues, like bad defending, some users seem to be up in arms about. Maybe mental attributes are even more important now in ME, so you see the alleged ridiculous stuff in defence more often especially in lower league matches where the average of attribute points is obviously lower?

I am certainly surprised by @(sic)'s video earlier, didn't see such things at all, and I play every single game on comprehensive highlights.. Players running away from the ball all the time is, however, obviously a bit too much to not complain about it..

So is the impact of mental attributes a bit too extreme in lower leagues perhaps, at least, as far as watching ME is concerned?..

Its an interesting situation. There are going to be people who encounter bugs and others who don't. It doesn't meant that there are no bugs. Each user case could be different. Someone may have a player with a specific trait that is causing a specific chain of events to happen when that trait could be kicking in. Or perhaps a player could have accidentally left a man marking instruction on and continued without realising it was embedded in their tactic. Or it could be the confluence of factors that arise from the design of a specific tactic.

There could be a 100 reasons why someone may see one bug and another might not, and its always a best idea to give a detailed pkm. And this is where things get challenging - keeping emotions out of the bug report, eg, doing a simple one like "look at the goal with a laughing emoji".  All it takes to help sometimes is more than a pkm. I know they say stick in a pkm, but a pkm is sometimes not enough. Its a good idea to attach your tactic or your save. 

And while I do understand the frustrations many have, consider the fact that those pouring through bug reports have been doing it for months. After a while anyone can get jaded. And yes the impact of attributes and player conditioning seems to be quite a factor this season. 

I have long term saves in FM20,21 and 22 but i enjoy FM 23 the most for it's ME... Much more unpredictable than it was in the previous versions.

That being said.. the visual difference is minimal between versions so i can understand why people say this is FM22.5.

35 minutes ago, limey150781 said:

The game is? Because it really, really isn't unless you're playing it for less than say 30 hours. Value for money wise you won't find a better game in existence. 

Yeah, have to say, I refunded and then caved and bought it again, because there's over 1000hrs a year on this (mostly) since it moved to Steam in 2009 and that's a lot of value and enjoyment given I don't get a lot of free time and tend to play this while commuting, fathering, working and occasionally free.

I dare say it was at least 1500hrs in the disc days too.

It's hard to knock it for value because it's so easily played on a laptop unlike anything else and it can be played in the background as it were as opposed to lots of other games which require live play online or my desktop GPU for RTS type stuff.

29 minutes ago, limey150781 said:

Well not really, as I feel a brand new ME warrants a new release along with the obvious date updates...

But both these things can just be implemented into the existing game, like they are around the Winter Update and ME Patches. 

Been playing this years version for literally five minutes and have found the following things that should have been taken a critical look at in the year passed... If it turns out B-team coaching staff that you hire yourself is still bugged as it was in 2020 then I don't know what to think:

7293896_fm232.thumb.png.3f8fbac4a45821a89846549d9b5af8f7.png

Why is this "units" screen still in the game? The game doesn't tell me what it's good for, other than in the fringe case I want to train a player in a new position I can move them around. Why doesn't it just do that automatically when you start to train a new position? And nowhere does it say why I should put U19 players in there. No mention of the benefits it does or why it's important. Just remove this whole screen as it seems it has no real purpose and it's cluttering the place up...

2099038065_fm233.thumb.png.1cc55be54472559e51a6b2f6f199c314.png

The training screen doesn't mention the name of the player where the arrow points to. I have to read the small text in order to find the name. Not very intuitive and seems like something someone forgot about.

1280726206_fm234.png.4c8073f0f5c323d4b861ef445ef53327.png'

Why does the computer suggest that my only GK coach is a worse choice for both categories and instead chooses an ass man with no real knowledge of training this position to do it all alone?

820820714_fm231.thumb.png.907de32bd9c81729a760b61b9cd98948.png

The bottom of the screen cuts off.

The new squad planner looks more uninviting than my mother-in-law. I can't even fathom how I am supposed to use this with any sort of purpose... Such a strange addition.

Edited by Rayban_DK

5 minutes ago, Rayban_DK said:

The new squad planner looks more uninviting than my mother-in-law. I can't even fathom how I am supposed to use this with any sort of purpose... Such a strange addition.

I really like it (the squad planner that is, I couldn't comment on your mother-in-law).

1 hour ago, limey150781 said:

The game is? Because it really, really isn't unless you're playing it for less than say 30 hours. Value for money wise you won't find a better game in existence. 

And the average playtime solely for during the 2 week beta period was 62 hours per person, which even if you bought it at £30 is still around 50p an hour, which is a bargain.

1 hour ago, superman041 said:

What do you like about the press conferences?

It's another tool to manage my players - boost morale or warn against complacency. Adds to the sense of realism and immersion. Your mileage may, of course, vary.

2 minutes ago, JordanMilly said:

And the average playtime solely for during the 2 week beta period was 62 hours per person, which even if you bought it at £30 is still around 50p an hour, which is a bargain.

I think the issue is, people play it using 80% of their imagination.... It's the 20% of the game, which 10% is buggy, that akes you out of the world you've created.

The cost isn't the issue... It's the false promises. Last couple weeks all I heard was, wait until full release is out! It's out! It's still the same! 

I think SI have hit the wall with what they can do to this current match engine. It must be a mess of old code and new code. They most likely have to rip out the guts again and start from scratch. I beta test a game called Project Zomboid for over 6 years... They've rebuilt that game at least twice (graphics, physics etc) because they admitted the old code was holding them back and there was too much plastering over the cracks.

I hope SI are doing this in the background 

1 minute ago, DarJ said:

Well, it’s their because for general training to work, you need players in units.

We didn't need it before they implemented it. What changed so much that we now need it for training to even work? And why even let us bother with it if it's just GK/defense/offense. Any idiot can see that a DC shouldn't train in the offense side if we work with only those three units. If we had a counter-attack unit or something more adjustable then I could understand it more.

Edited by Rayban_DK

57 minutes ago, Rashidi said:

Its an interesting situation. There are going to be people who encounter bugs and others who don't. It doesn't meant that there are no bugs. Each user case could be different. Someone may have a player with a specific trait that is causing a specific chain of events to happen when that trait could be kicking in. Or perhaps a player could have accidentally left a man marking instruction on and continued without realising it was embedded in their tactic. Or it could be the confluence of factors that arise from the design of a specific tactic.

There could be a 100 reasons why someone may see one bug and another might not, and its always a best idea to give a detailed pkm. And this is where things get challenging - keeping emotions out of the bug report. Or just doing a simple one like "look at the goal with a laughing emoji".  All it takes is sometimes something more than a pkm. I know they say stick in a pkm, but a pkm is sometimes not enough. Its a good idea to attach your tactic or your save. 

And while I do understand the frustrations many have, consider the fact that those pouring through bug reports have been doing it for months. After a while anyone can get jaded. And yes the impact of attributes and player conditioning seems to be quite a factor this season. 

I don't think we can dilute "defender running away from the ball " through 100 things that could happen.. 

This player behavior should be a hard stop. Something is definitely wrong with the decision making of that module - and it should have been spotted. It's not a matter of interpretation - maybe he's tired, maybe he's low on morale - he is running away from the ball !

How has this not been seen? I've spotted this 2nd or 3rd match into the beta.. not even "playing" the beta, just clicking through to get to some panels for skinning ( placed the bug report like many others, and I was certain this would be fixed as it was just blatant).

Or if it had been seen - then we are correct to ask how can this be shipped like this ? because there are post here from SI that state that the match engine was locked some time ago and that they were happy with the state of the match engine .. 

What should we understand from all this ? Either they did not spot an issue it took us 2 matches.. or they spotted it and decided it's ok. Either way - it's bad.

There should be some acknowledgement, there should be some kind of day one fixing. It cannot be discussed with serenity - " will talk about it at the patch before Christmas".

I do feel for the devs, I do feel for their stress and do think it's not on them because they know how their product is working - I think the management pushed for the release when it wasn't ready. 

I am saying this without frustration or any harsh feelings, I am just trying to point out that things just cannot be like this.

Edited by BuzzR
spelling.

As my physical FM23 copy is currently delayed due to Amazon issues, may I ask you if on 2D (only mod I care about since 2006) the popups still cover the pitch even if the ball is played there? Every year I damn hope someone'd realize to maybe make it transparent or to just show the same popup in another part of the pitch where there is nothing going on..!

7 minutes ago, DarJ said:

It's a neat guide, but why is nothing about units mentioned in-game? Are we expected to find unofficial guides to make sense of this aspect? And even after reading the guide I fail to see why the unit screen is there. I am playing the 2020 version and have yet to find a reason to meddle with it and I train players in new positions pretty often to make players more versatile.

EDIT: And never have a coach suggested I put a player training for a new position in a new unit.

Edited by Rayban_DK

1 ora fa, limey150781 ha scritto:

I'm talking about the ingame editor...

12 minutes ago, Rayban_DK said:

It's a neat guide, but why is nothing about units mentioned in-game? Are we expected to find unofficial guides to make sense of this aspect? And even after reading the guide I fail to see why the unit screen is there. I am playing the 2020 version and have yet to find a reason to meddle with it and I train players in new positions pretty often to make players more versatile.

EDIT: And never have a coach suggested I put a player training for a new position in a new unit.

Training changed, from groups with sliders for att/def/setP etc back to the days of ole CM where you set up specific training for each session. Just isn't called 5-a-side or Run around the lake anymore.

These sessions have different impact on the units, "Defending wide" lets defenders defend, while the attacking unit trains wide attacking attributes. In the description of each specific training it tells you what effect it has on GK, Def and Att training units.

If you use a BWM as a BBM in your tactic you may want him in the Def Unit instead of Attack, so he trains more on the defending side of the game even though he is playing as a BBM right now.

I have to say, even as someone who doesn't generally buy the in game editor, the decision to increase the price is flat out absurd. How much extra revenue is that really going to bring in. I mean, really?

Edited by HighFlyingDwarf

9 minutes ago, greenz81 said:

Its true... ive been lurking these forums since 2003 and never seen such backlash on release day. The frustration is, people were advised to use bug tracker... they did... nothing happened!

I seem to remember a certain degree of discontent here around these times last year because of Over the top balls "rendering the game unplayable".
2 years ago it was the blocked crosses and "set piece manager 2021" remarks that was getting the thumbs up..

Only thing I see that's really changed this year is the emphasis on what youtube gamers think of the game being used as an end all-argument.

15 minutes ago, greenz81 said:

Its true... ive been lurking these forums since 2003 and never seen such backlash on release day. The frustration is, people were advised to use bug tracker... they did... nothing happened!

Same, i am still pissed that my feedback about the wrong teams in the CL youth qual. path and the use of the BG U19 Elite league (that one does not exist) is just ignored in the release.

For me this is simple objective data, not me asking to make a player better or something.

Playing with my favorite Slavia Sofia is now not fun, as the youth competition s wrong and does not play in de CL, where it should, and i have addressed both on the first day of the Beta.

After playing over around a 1.000 hours per game every year don't want to start now, for me it is over and this happy customer for many years will not move to 2024 and won't play 2023,

Edited by Dropveter

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

I had wide players working perfectly with Santos, then tried the same tactics with lesser players and it didnt work.

Definitely feels like the better the player the better the output, to me, which i kind of like.

I've gone the opposite way.  My tactic was OK with Zurich for my beta save.  Now I'm playing as West Ham with much better players it's looking really nice. I need more matches to be sure of my opinion, but at the moment it definitely looks like quality of player is making a bigger difference than previous years.  I haven't played using any team at a really low level yet, though, so I don't how play might look with really lousy players like those from an amateur league.

Edited by rp1966

37 minutes ago, Dropveter said:

Same, i am still pissed that my feedback about the wrong teams in the CL youth qual. path and the use of the BG U19 Elite league (that one does not exist) is just ignored in the release.

For me this is simple objective data, not me asking to make a player better or something.

Playing with my favorite Slavia Sofia is now not fun, as the youth competition s wrong and does not play in de CL, where it should, and i have addressed both on the first day of the Beta.

After playing over around a 1.000 hours per game every year don't want to start now, for me it is over and this happy customer for many years will not move to 2024 and won't play 2023,

You realise, and I'm not entirely happy with the game myself, that not everything raised is fixed on release day but rather in a forthcoming patch? I mean, it seems theres a lot to fix, and while I don't want to trigger the 'unpaid bugtesters brigade', it probably wasn't all integrated into whatever changes were made today.

Just a quick one.. enjoying the game so far.. only small bugbear was I like to be a legend of the club as my manager so for West ham I chose Julian dicks 

The game kept telling me I couldn't use the word dicks in the name..I understand not allowing Curse words etc but this was a real man's name.  I tried all of thy following to no avail

Julian dicks

Julian d'icks 

Julian d1cks

Julian dlcks

Eventually had to settle to calling him Julian dix

49 minutes ago, zindrinho said:

I seem to remember a certain degree of discontent here around these times last year because of Over the top balls "rendering the game unplayable".
2 years ago it was the blocked crosses and "set piece manager 2021" remarks that was getting the thumbs up..

Only thing I see that's really changed this year is the emphasis on what youtube gamers think of the game being used as an end all-argument.

Not true. The general consensus last year was that the ME was heaps better compared to FM21.

There is so much stuff lacking and broken this year, and nothing of it is adressed on release day. Then why bother with a beta? It's actually disrespectful to keep suggesting to spend our time adressing the issues in the bug tracker, just to be completely ignored.

30 minutes ago, marley said:

Just a quick one.. enjoying the game so far.. only small bugbear was I like to be a legend of the club as my manager so for West ham I chose Julian dicks 

The game kept telling me I couldn't use the word dicks in the name..I understand not allowing Curse words etc but this was a real man's name.  I tried all of thy following to no avail

Julian dicks

Julian d'icks 

Julian d1cks

Julian dlcks

Eventually had to settle to calling him Julian dix

Ah, the joy of really stupid profanity filters ... that's funny :)

EDIT to add: More ironic is the fact that Julian Dicks is listed in the clubs icons (as he should be), so it must be a filter on the manager name dialogue.  

Edited by rp1966