*Official* Football Manager 2023 Feedback Thread

1 minute ago, styluz05 said:

For me it would have been good for SI to have released some explanation around the ME changes for FM23 the game does play very differently. Would have been helpful for us the consumers to understand. 

If you read the notes at the start they said NO ME changes from beta and then explained their reasons why

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, wazup said:

I think the main issue SI are having is a communications issue. Reading this reply and others.

Do any other games provide road maps for their customers?

I don't care about what other games do or don't do. I know all games have bugs, all games have issues with comms - SI isn't unique here.

I can tell you what the main issue is - a yearly release cycle with publisher pressure and a mandate to ensure that there is at least enough features in play to justify a new full-price release. This need trumps any other, and as such resource gets allocated accordingly. I understand business, and I don't have expectations of perfection.

But after 4 years of the same issue persisting (or even more, it's just when I started logging it) I'd expect some movement. And as a vaguely technical person myself, I don't quite see where the problem lies (certainly not with my specific issue of the staff numbers) and while I know that making a code change would have several cycles of feedback and review and such, a minor revision in logic when the game determines what the 'max' number of staff should be at the beginning of a save is NOT a full module rewrite nor should it be unaddressed for 4 years - leaving it as such whilst continuing to add features that don't really add value just leaves a very sour taste in my opinion.

2 minutes ago, Meraklija Vujevic said:

testing live now on stream and defending is still disaster

balls over defenders are  are disaster

I really don't know what SI was doing last 6 months

curent match engine  is unplayable

Nothing's changed on the Match Engine front, so if you found defending a disaster before yesterday, it still will be 

Well done on another release, this video helped me understand the defender behaviour and other eccentric things in the engine. I don't really have any problems at the moment with the match engine personally.

3 minutes ago, MrPompey said:

If you read the notes at the start they said NO ME changes from beta and then explained their reasons why

This must be the first time ever they haven't made ME changes from Beta to Full release, their reasoning doesn't make much sense and seems like a façade, the line "dont want to break things by fixing thing" isn't the mentality they should have considering the amount of major issues they have with defending for example, something that was a headline feature lest we forget...

What is the best and most recent FM22 update?

this is very disappointing, for years now it seems as if the game isnt the full article  until march when the season it represents is almost done. 22 for me ended up a very good game, i wasnt expecting much when i seen the headline features for 23 but this is ridiculous. 
Squad planner is a bugged and tarted up version of squad depth

the fact international management isnt touched ay all yet again especially in a world cup year is a slap in the face

If the match engine isnt ready for release without obvious bugs or the game in general not ready for release without a lot of bugs any year then delay it until its right or release a data update for the previous years game at a reduced cost

1 minute ago, nunch98 said:

Well done on another release, this video helped me understand the defender behaviour and other eccentric things in the engine. I don't really have any problems at the moment with the match engine personally.

I'll have to check this out! Hopefully some communication and explanation will help... who knew :lol:

29 minutes ago, DarJ said:

doesn't that tell you that it was not as easy issue to fix. I find it funny when people say the developers don't care about the game, I'm sure every game studio would love to release a perfect game at lunch but that's not possible.

if there is a certain bug in the game that needs fixing and it takes 2 years to fix, complaining about it won't get it fixed any quicker 

The problem is there are hardly any fixes.. I don't think it's funny that people are used as testers then they find out the time they spent reporting what they found both in UI and M.E have not been touched and then they are not even given the courtesy of being informed if their reports were addressed or not in final release.

You may think it's a herculean effort on the part of an multi million gaming company to issue release update notes of anything they've done different from the beta version, but many other people rightly don't feel the same way.

5 minutes ago, theinfamousmielie said:

I don't care about what other games do or don't do. I know all games have bugs, all games have issues with comms - SI isn't unique here.

I can tell you what the main issue is - a yearly release cycle with publisher pressure and a mandate to ensure that there is at least enough features in play to justify a new full-price release. This need trumps any other, and as such resource gets allocated accordingly. I understand business, and I don't have expectations of perfection.

But after 4 years of the same issue persisting (or even more, it's just when I started logging it) I'd expect some movement. And as a vaguely technical person myself, I don't quite see where the problem lies (certainly not with my specific issue of the staff numbers) and while I know that making a code change would have several cycles of feedback and review and such, a minor revision in logic when the game determines what the 'max' number of staff should be at the beginning of a save is NOT a full module rewrite nor should it be unaddressed for 4 years - leaving it as such whilst continuing to add features that don't really add value just leaves a very sour taste in my opinion.

International management hasn’t been improved in 15 years! Beat that! 

2 minutes ago, BrightLad5 said:

This must be the first time ever they haven't made ME changes from Beta to Full release, their reasoning doesn't make much sense and seems like a façade, the line "dont want to break things by fixing thing" isn't the mentality they should have considering the amount of major issues they have with defending for example, something that was a headline feature lest we forget...

This would set a very bad precedent. In the officially released version, it is necessary to change the ME.

I haven't bought the game but as a Software Developer myself, I think I understand what SI mean when they say that this is the release there's no changelog.

This is just my theory but in general, a period of time between the not final version released to public and the final version determined by SI is where you'll find the changelog.

In other words, the changelog is essentially the list of changes made from when the game was announced to go into beta to the time when it got released.

Edited by saiyaman

3 minutes ago, TheAwesomeGem said:

The main stable release of FM 2023 will be after December. This still plays like BETA with tons of issues with some game-breaking issue.

I think ME's defensive problems are urgent, but waiting until December is too harsh.

Edited by zzkeg27

Just now, saiyaman said:

I haven't bought the game but as a Software Developer myself, I think I understand what SI mean when they say that this is the release there's no changelog.

This is just my theory but in general, that's how you see things when it comes to Software. A period of time between the not final version released to public and the final version determined by SI is where you'll find the changelog.

In other words, the changelog is essentially the list of changes made from when the game was announced to go into beta to the time when it got released.

That's one way of looking at it (and obviously where SI are coming from), but there's also the point that the beta is public - that makes equivalent to a UAT release in the commercial world. Certainly in the environment I work in any findings in UAT are classified as day 0 fixes or scheduled for later remediation, but all notified to the users.  The other key thing that always seems to be missing from SI's approach is the idea that time unresolved should automatically escalate priority.

But that's as much as I'll say here.  I have some issues with the ME, but nothing I can't get round via tactics, so I feel I can enjoy FM23 for now.

I

1 minute ago, potbellypigs said:

Not much positivity flowing from these first few pages...

Same as always.

But in the interests of positivity, I'm very happy with FM23 - love the ME, my defenders aren't broken, squad planner and scouting focus could do with some work but they're fine for the way I play the game, and I actually like press conferences and player interactions as a bit of a challenge. I have no doubt I'll clock up another 1,000-plus hours in this year's game.

Just now, rp1966 said:

That's one way of looking at it (and obviously where SI are coming from), but there's also the point that the beta is public - that makes equivalent to a UAT release in the commercial world. Certainly in the environment I work in any findings in UAT are classified as day 0 fixes or scheduled for later remediation, but all notified to the users.  The other key thing that always seems to be missing from SI's approach is the idea that time unresolved should automatically escalate priority.

But that's as much as I'll say here.  I have some issues with the ME, but nothing I can't get round via tactics, so I feel I can enjoy FM23 for now.

I

Yeah I have no idea about SI's processes but they obviously felt this was ready for release otherwise they wouldn't have marked it as ready.

5 minutes ago, rp1966 said:

I

A defender who is deprived of the ball while dribbling, a central defender who allows a central breakthrough as it is, and a defense that cannot respond to a long kick can never be solved by tactics. 

Edited by zzkeg27

Does anybody knows if the newgen creation was fixed? 
In my beta save, managing RC Lens (Ligue 1), a 15 years old left back poped out with enough skills to play in the first team at 15... 
I had to wait for him to be 16 but he was already listed one of the top full backs in the league... 

Edited by Stookie

58 minutes ago, Hibs1875 said:

Where can you report name issues? Joao balde of hibs is called John Balde on game 🤣

No need, i've spotted it here :lol:. It's what he's been known as in the database, since his creation at Rangers. Rangers referred to him as "John." It was also what he went by on social media, though now he's changed it to "Joao Balde  (John Balde)"

But you're right, he probably shouldn't have it set as a 'common name' now. Ta. 

Edited by Giro

Just now, zzkeg27 said:

A defender who is deprived of the ball while dribbling, a central defender who allows a central breakthrough as it is, and a defense that cannot respond to a long kick can never be solved by tactics.

Okay I could be wrong and I'll be clear: I'm not defending anything about the new game.

Have you tried the following:

* Setting Dribble Less, Changing pass instructions to Take Lower Risks for the defender who dribbles or even Shorter passing or the option Play Safer

* Setting the Central Defender as Cover or just a slightly lower defensive line to keep any one dribbling central surrounded

19 minutes ago, saiyaman said:

Okay I could be wrong and I'll be clear: I'm not defending anything about the new game.

Have you tried the following:

* Setting Dribble Less, Changing pass instructions to Take Lower Risks for the defender who dribbles or even Shorter passing or the option Play Safer

* Setting the Central Defender as Cover or just a slightly lower defensive line to keep any one dribbling central surrounded

I have already tried to change the directive and change the role. But this can never be solved because it is a problem for the ME.

Edited by zzkeg27

6 hours ago, soablacksmith said:

Still can't remove my earring :D

So do I hope for a fix in next major patch? or do I miss something?

I have a workaround for this - just keep clicking randomise accessories until the earring is removed. You can then update the watches/rings as needed. 

Just now, zzkeg27 said:

I have already tried to change the directive and change the role. But this can never be solved because it is a problem for the ME.

Alright fair enough. Usually it can be solved through tactics. Creating a good tactic is half of the game. The other half is adapting to the match events. The person dribbling through could be having a good game or your defender's morale is low leading him to make more mistakes if his Composure, Concentration, Decisions and Determination are low. He might be feeling overwhelmed after this one guy beat him again and again so surrounding him with his defenders would be a better thing.

If you still feel there's a bug then yea fair play. Let's wait for SI to fix it.

1 minute ago, saiyaman said:

Alright fair enough. Usually it can be solved through tactics. Creating a good tactic is half of the game. The other half is adapting to the match events. The person dribbling through could be having a good game or your defender's morale is low leading him to make more mistakes if his Composure, Concentration, Decisions and Determination are low. He might be feeling overwhelmed after this one guy beat him again and again so surrounding him with his defenders would be a better thing.

If you still feel there's a bug then yea fair play. Let's wait for SI to fix it.

It's something that many people are already giving feedback on. So I think SI should solve it quickly by changing the match engine.

The problem of ME can never be solved by tactics unless SI changes it.

You'll sympathize with this problem if you look at other people's bug trackers or beta feedback threads.

2 hours ago, Tfunk said:

Really poor from SI we pay to test this game for them and provide feedback, we do our part and this is how we get treated in return. reminds me of last year when inside forwards were broken and not working as intended from the beta, we reported and they weren't fixed until the last major patch of the game. Along with the editor price going up for the exact same service???

Have you used the in game editor? Several features have been added, so it is not the exact same service anymore.

2 minutes ago, zzkeg27 said:

It's something that many people are already giving feedback on. So I think SI should solve it quickly by changing the match engine.

The problem of ME can never be solved by tactics unless SI changes it.

You'll sympathize with this problem if you look at other people's bug trackers or beta feedback threads.

Yes you're right it does seem to be a rather open issue

1 minute ago, themadsheep2001 said:

I think you can certainly tweak some defensive issues in the ME, but honestly can't say I see as much as others do, particularly the ball over the top. 

My biggest concern is that SI will nerf ball playing defenders when you set them to dribble more (looking at you @Jack Joyce leave them alone :D )

I do see flashy ball playing defenders and yea they have an impact in buildup but I guess it's rare, I've seen them contribute to losing possession and a counter attack a lot more when they tend to become overconfident and take a sort of CM position leaving their midfielder to pick up the slack. Maybe if they do nerf them it will be more realistic xD

Just now, saiyaman said:

I do see flashy ball playing defenders and yea they have an impact in buildup but I guess it's rare, I've seen them contribute to losing possession and a counter attack a lot more when they tend to become overconfident and take a sort of CM position leaving their midfielder to pick up the slack. Maybe if they do nerf them it will be more realistic xD

If you have a good dribbling one they are very effective. Risky though, but seen some wonderful slide passes from them. Personally I don't want the ME overly tweaked and we end up with something sterile. Football is full of variation, mistakes and chaos. 

49 minuti fa, TheAwesomeGem ha scritto:

Long Term save is still broken because AI Managers still refuse to play Youth over 30 years old players. So disappointing.

Serie A says hello. Italian clubs have been doing it for years IRL, helping the league’s decline

Edited by Raymond85

5 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

I'm absolutely delighted with the match engine this year, for me it's the best there's ever been. A few minor issues with defensive positioning, but as always, until that gets fixed, I just build that into the narrative of my save. 

I wasn't overly impressed with FM22 - For the first time in a long while, I thought the previous edition was better, but this game improves on FM22 in almost every way. 

I get not everyone will see it that way, but for me, it's the best game in the series at this point. Great work. 

I think the match engine of this series has improved compared to the previous series. However, it is a pity that many of these advantages seem to have disappeared due to the problem of defense.

So it was especially disappointing that SI didn't change ME during this official release.

Edited by zzkeg27

11 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

If you have a good dribbling one they are very effective. Risky though, but seen some wonderful slide passes from them. Personally I don't want the ME overly tweaked and we end up with something sterile. Football is full of variation, mistakes and chaos. 

I don't want that either, but having your defensive line just stand in place, or even worse, run in the wrong direction, while the ball goes through them is insane. Not to mention IWs/IFs who are afraid to dribble inside, and instead just run to the byline and then look to cross/pass the ball with their stronger foot - a pattern that keeps repeating, and is honestly annoying seeing the exact same thing play out each time.

Edit: And these things have been reported numerous times, with examples in the bug tracker. 

Edited by (sic)

6 minutes ago, (sic) said:

Not to mention IWs/IFs who are afraid to dribble inside, and instead just run to the byline and then look to cross/pass the ball with their stronger foot

Throughout my beta save, my IF ans IW's behaved excatly as I'd expect them to, much to my surprise as it's the first edition of the game where that has happened consistently for me. 

4 minutes ago, (sic) said:

I don't want that either, but having your defensive line just stand in place, or even worse, run in the wrong direction, while the ball goes through them is insane. Not to mention IWs/IFs who are afraid to dribble inside, and instead just run to the byline and then look to cross/pass the ball with their stronger foot - a pattern that keeps repeating, and is honestly annoying seeing the exact same thing play out each time.

Edit: And these things have been reported numerous times, with examples in the bug tracker. 

Can't say I see them do it too often to be horrendous. The game needs some mistakes. Some I've reported as buggy, but we also need players making errors. Same with IFs/IWs, I've reported some examples, but also still find them dribbling really well at times. The last report I sent to Jack from a match had 3 bad examples and 6 good examples from the same player. I want them still making bad decisions tbh, but perhaps tweaking the balance slightly 

2 hours ago, 2calvin said:

MIles is laughing at you. "worst release" "trust lost" "very poor" and in the next breath "i'll still play" "i love it and always will"

if you feel that strongly and want them to take notice try not buying the game instead of writing a forum post that miles will never read?

Just because you love playing something doesn't mean it can't be criticised you melon. This game needs to be held to a higher standard. It annoys me because I know how much better the game could work/be if these problems with development (ME, UI etc) didn't exist. Alot of people won't criticise this game enough or at all because it's their favourite one or are on SIs good books, I will because it's what's right. This release is way below the standard and is incredibly ill prepared. Getting a Beta 2.0 on release is ridiculous. And this is an SI direct feedback thread, where else do you want me to post my thoughts? Do you want me to mail them to Miles' door or email them straight to him? 

Edited by Eoin Maguire

3 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Can't say I see them do it too often to be horrendous. The game needs some mistakes. Some I've reported as buggy, but we also need players making errors. Same with IFs/IWs, I've reported some examples, but also still find them dribbling really well at times. The last report I sent to Jack from a match had 3 bad examples and 6 good examples from the same player. I want them still making bad decisions tbh, but perhaps tweaking the balance slightly 

I agree. A small mistake is necessary. But now I think there are many defensive mistakes. Especially, I think it's a bug that doesn't respond to long kicks. I think we need to adjust it as you said.

Edited by zzkeg27

56 minutes ago, nunch98 said:

Important video indeed. :applause:

Personally, I would have liked specific situations addressed such as Forwards never trying to dribble the GK, including the GK making a penalty in those situations. 

another year another dissapointment.

it seems we pay full price every year for the same game + new bugs.

in the recent years the game was always unplayable on its launch form. no changes or changelist from beta to full release so why u even bother to release beta? i think SI think we (the customers) are the QA team..

i appriciate SI for communication and assume they will fix all the bugs during the year, but common guys we expect for more.

5 minutes ago, pedrosantos said:

Important video indeed. :applause:

Personally, I would have liked specific situations addressed such as Forwards never trying to dribble the GK, including the GK making a penalty in those situations. 

Do people realize this video is from the last year, and 2 game versions ago (FM21)?

Edited by (sic)