*Official* Football Manager 2023 Feedback Thread

47 minutes ago, Jack Joyce said:

With the full version of FM23 now available, we thought it might be helpful if we gave you a quick update on our short-term plans for the match engine.

While the current match engine is the same one that featured in the Early Access Beta, this doesn't mean that we’re not working on improvements. In fact, we're currently in the process of taking on board the feedback we received from Beta players and looking to incorporate this in a forthcoming major update. We have however, included some animation tweaks with the aim of improving immersion, which as an example, means you'll be less likely to see keepers making odd looking saves with their feet. 

Making changes to the match engine is a delicate and complex business. Changes that we make often result in unforeseen knock-ons that we need to chase down and fix... and those fixes then often have their own knock-on effects as well. In a recent internal update we had an engine that ‘felt’ really good and played really nicely… except that central defenders were racking up 200+ passes in some matches, which is unrealistically high. As soon as we discovered that we had to 'go back in' to address that issue without, of course, losing the parts we liked.

Although we're happy with the engine in the current game, we’re confident that we can improve on it with the right update, but we need a bit more time to make sure we balance things out. Thanks for all of your feedback so far, it’s been and continues to be incredibly useful.

The Match Team

I can only speak for myself, but I appreciate the communication and clarity. Good news, not so good news either way it just massively helps.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

49 minutes ago, TheArsenal63 said:

Wow, I thought at least one of the game breaking bugs would be fixed, even one. No ME changes, well I guess I will come back in march.

Last year the first major ME patch was in 07/12

So i think it will be around the same time in this year 

Just now, Mantis Toboggan said:

Do I need to create a new save to now play the full game or can I continue to use my savegame from the Beta?

You can continue your saved game from the Beta. If you want the latest database updates however, then you will need to start a new save. 

image.png.5fb7f99dca388f6ba20e4be99c6edd20.png

Random 20th predicted Romanian Liga II team. No inputs other than inserting homemade gegenpress focused tactic from beta=easy win. Hopefully it gets harder but this still feels like dejavu.

When we refer to mean 'match engine', are we referring to the graphical representation of the game or the 'thinking' behind the simulation that produces the match result, taking into account the player's inputs?

Edited by sthptngomad76

13 minutes ago, sthptngomad76 said:

image.png.5fb7f99dca388f6ba20e4be99c6edd20.png

Random 20th predicted Romanian Liga II team. No inputs other than inserting homemade gegenpress focused tactic from beta=easy win. Hopefully it gets harder but this still feels like dejavu.

When we refer to mean 'match engine', are we referring to the graphical representation of the game or the 'thinking' behind the simulation that produces the match result, taking into account the player's inputs?

The match engine is the thinking in the background. The graphics just represent that. 

As for your belief that the game is too easy, well you might want s bigger sample. 😁

Just now, anagain said:

The match engine is the thinking in the background. The graphics just represent that. 

As for your belief that the game is too easy, well you might want s bigger sample. 😁

It’s very early days yet, I agree. But from experience with these tactics in the beta, and FM 21/22, they tended to result in significant overachievement with little influence of my team’s ability.

So hopefully it becomes a bit more of a struggle with a team predicted to finish 20th. However, given there’s been no match engine changes, I doubt it 

1 hour ago, SeaCarrot said:

Why it needs to be so cryptic who knows? What makes SI so special they are unable to post a changelog?

Now we have go scour through bug threads in coming days to hope they've touched something? Unreal. I know FM is a time sink but do you really need to waste our time here as well. The disrespect for customers and their time is monumental. 

1 hour ago, SeaCarrot said:

Another year of fake beta done. Another year without knowing of any critical data fixes or bug fixes that would require a new save because SI is the only developer on the planet that refuses to give patch notes when going from beta to 1.0.  

What does it say at the top of the page ?? A minor update to the match engine, regarding goalkeepers, nothing else. That's your answer !

I'm having trouble opening the game after this update in epic games. Tried to reinstall the game, remove epic game cache and stuff, verify game data, all doesnt work. Is there some issue on epic games side?

Sorry it works now""

Edited by Airenn1

@Neil Brock

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but what you have written here seems to conflict with what was previously posted and I'm hoping you can clarify why there seems to be a change of approach in regards to patch notes, change lists, and communication about bug fixes.

>How will I know that my issue has been addressed or fixed? 

>With every update we release we include a change list, which lists some, but not always all changes and fixes. Whilst we will try to respond to threads informing users when a specific issue has been fixed, in some circumstances we may not be able to. But it is our aim to try and do so, so you have clarity after an update comes out. 

You clearly communicated in the Bug Tracker FAQ that each update receives a change list. I read that as a commitment to the users of this forum that a change list will continue to be used. But now we are being told that it's not being used. It's now unclear how we will receive information about fixes that have already been implemented in the game.

You stated that some threads in the bug tracker will be updated in the coming days, but that seems to be a far less efficient approach. Is each user now expected to scroll through individual threads in the bug tracker to know what has been patched and what has not? That feels like a much less efficient way to communicate this information to players and users of this forum.

Why this change in approach?

Edited by The_Batmantis

Nothing has changed.  The game release earlier today is not an update but is the normal game release, so, similar to previous years, there will not be any release notes or changelist.  Users are pointed to the Bugs forum if they want to check on a specific issues that has been reported and future updates will as normal have a changelist.

15 minutes ago, brawla123 said:

The fact that we’re constantly having to lower expectations for this game is getting sad because the price isn’t lowering. I wasn’t expecting major updates but if the defending and first touch issues weren’t addressed at all, makes me wonder why we still do this Beta thing? The same thing happened last year and will happen next year. Happy release day folks !

Read the first and second posts in the thread and you can perhaps understand how the decisions are arrived at.

4 minutes ago, Rivanov said:

I can't find the Resource Archiver 2023 in Steam. Is it not out yet?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2066760/Football_Manager_2023_Resource_Archiver/ 

It's there but I think they've missed some tags and it's filtered out depending on languages or something. Currently is says it doesn't support English :)) .

5 minutes ago, BuzzR said:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2066760/Football_Manager_2023_Resource_Archiver/ 

It's there but I think they've missed some tags and it's filtered out depending on languages or something. Currently is says it doesn't support English :)) .

Thanks! When I searched for it in the Steam Store I found it and could install it.

/edit: Doesn't work on my M1 Pro Mac. App is damaged.

Edited by Rivanov

5 hours ago, Jack Joyce said:

With the full version of FM23 now available, we thought it might be helpful if we gave you a quick update on our short-term plans for the match engine.

While the current match engine is the same one that featured in the Early Access Beta, this doesn't mean that we’re not working on improvements. In fact, we're currently in the process of taking on board the feedback we received from Beta players and looking to incorporate this in a forthcoming major update. We have however, included some animation tweaks with the aim of improving immersion, which as an example, means you'll be less likely to see keepers making odd looking saves with their feet. 

Making changes to the match engine is a delicate and complex business. Changes that we make often result in unforeseen knock-ons that we need to chase down and fix... and those fixes then often have their own knock-on effects as well. In a recent internal update we had an engine that ‘felt’ really good and played really nicely… except that central defenders were racking up 200+ passes in some matches, which is unrealistically high. As soon as we discovered that we had to 'go back in' to address that issue without, of course, losing the parts we liked.

Although we're happy with the engine in the current game, we’re confident that we can improve on it with the right update, but we need a bit more time to make sure we balance things out. Thanks for all of your feedback so far, it’s been and continues to be incredibly useful.

The Match Team

I do appreciate this, thank you.

I was one ( of many ) who asked for more info regarding plans, statuses and maybe a tinny itsy bitsy roadmap of the fixes/releases etc. and your post is definitely a step forward.

Even if this news wont make people happy, we should appreciate the change in communication. Looking forward to more updates and maybe, who knows, some regular dev diaries. 

And for the devs, I know how big the stress is on release day: you did a good job. Another cycle has pasted. You should be proud.

Thank you. 

8 minutes ago, Rivanov said:

Thanks! When I searched for it in the Steam Store I found it and could install it.

I've installed it and it launches - on Windows to be fair. Sorry to hear that.

Edited by BuzzR
spelling

and year 3 the Beta feedback about competition structure did not make it into the game,

not arguing about if a player should have heading 20 vs 10, but a real structure that i have addressed on day one of the Beta.

But no, we get a copy of the previous years with some added players and a ring around the finger of your avatar.

I know the reply: other priorities, have been hearing them every year after buying the Beta.

Very disappointed and after years and hours of playing this happy customer is done.

7 minutes ago, Rivanov said:

This has been reported and I have found a workaround which may help in the short term:

1. Open Editor -> acknowledge failed opening -> validate local files -> Open MacOS Settings -> Privacy and Security -> Under security is an option to allow it access -> Authenticate -> click Open

7 minutes ago, soablacksmith said:

Still can't remove my earring :D

So do I hope for a fix in next major patch? or do I miss something?

You did - and I did too for the last few weeks. Turns out you have two ears - and two hands. You have to remove the bling from both of them!

Can appreciate waiting for the ME update, it's my only real gripe with the game though at times so will stick out like a sore thumb

As for no changelist - really poor, it's 2022 not 2015

Edit: I know there'll be a changelist with the next update as usual, but I think for the future there needs to be a way to try and streamline the gap between the two updates and start evolving into the modern world of gaming

Edited by Ryanonandon

13 minutes ago, zzkeg27 said:

There is a need to improve the defender's stupid behavior and response to long kicks in the ME of FM2023. It is very worrisome that ME has not been changed in these problems that everyone knows.

I can understand when defender misses a challenge for the ball in the air or loses it but when they simply stop running for it is crazy.

54 minutes ago, FrazT said:

This has been reported and I have found a workaround which may help in the short term:

1. Open Editor -> acknowledge failed opening -> validate local files -> Open MacOS Settings -> Privacy and Security -> Under security is an option to allow it access -> Authenticate -> click Open

Thanks mate! This worked.

22 minutes ago, zzkeg27 said:

There is a need to improve the defender's stupid behavior and response to long kicks in the ME of FM2023. It is very worrisome that ME has not been changed in these problems that everyone knows.

https://community.sigames.com/bugtracker/football-manager-2023-bugs-tracker/753_match-engine-ai-and-tactics/match-engine-plans-post-full-launch-of-fm23-r11613/

Just now, DMaster2 said:

Just leaving my 2 cents...

FM 20 ingame editor -> 4,49€

FM21 ingame editor -> 5,49€

FM22 ingame editor -> 7,79€

FM23 ingame editor -> 8,99€

The greed is real...

Have you literally copy pasted that thing?

Has anyone managing in Scotland had any issues moving players to youth teams? It seems I have an U18 team, I can make players available to play for them, but I can't move players up and down between the squads. It means everyone is just dumped into my first team, including players who are 15/16 and a mile away from playing any part for the senior team at this stage

image.thumb.png.156b1277d52f8aaea210246157217ba8.pngimage.thumb.png.a9cb52238d4c5a9398fc36adfaa37a1e.png