*Official* Football Manager 2023 Feedback Thread

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Jack Joyce said:

With the full version of FM23 now available, we thought it might be helpful if we gave you a quick update on our short-term plans for the match engine.

While the current match engine is the same one that featured in the Early Access Beta, this doesn't mean that we’re not working on improvements. In fact, we're currently in the process of taking on board the feedback we received from Beta players and looking to incorporate this a forthcoming major update. We have however, included some animation tweaks with the aim of improving immersion, which as an example, means you'll be less likely to see keepers making odd looking saves with their feet. 

Making changes to the match engine is a delicate and complex business. Changes that we make often result in unforeseen knock-ons that we need to chase down and fix... and those fixes then often have their own knock-on effects as well. In a recent internal update we had an engine that ‘felt’ really good and played really nicely… except that central defenders were racking up 200+ passes in some matches, which is unrealistically high. As soon as we discovered that we had to 'go back in' to address that issue without, of course, losing the parts we liked.

Although we're happy with the engine in the current game, we’re confident that we can improve on it with the right update, but we need a bit more time to make sure we balance things out. Thanks for all of your feedback so far, it’s been and continues to be incredibly useful.

The Match Team

You may or may not be able to answer this, but when you say Major Update are you talking about the Christmas update or sometime before that generally speaking?

• Administrators
1 minute ago, SeaCarrot said:

Another year of fake beta done. Another year without knowing of any critical data fixes or bug fixes that would require a new save because SI is the only developer on the planet that refuses to give patch notes when going from beta to 1.0.  

As we say in the opening post here, over the next couple of days we'll be updating threads via the bug tracker to indicate which raised issues have been resolved. 

2 minutes ago, SeaCarrot said:

Another year of fake beta done. Another year without knowing of any critical data fixes or bug fixes that would require a new save because SI is the only developer on the planet that refuses to give patch notes when going from beta to 1.0.  

Yeah, I refunded because something that has been "off" for a while clearly wasn't getting any attention this year either.

But who knows, maybe they did fix it!

15 minutes ago, Jack Joyce said:

With the full version of FM23 now available, we thought it might be helpful if we gave you a quick update on our short-term plans for the match engine.

While the current match engine is the same one that featured in the Early Access Beta, this doesn't mean that we’re not working on improvements. In fact, we're currently in the process of taking on board the feedback we received from Beta players and looking to incorporate this a forthcoming major update. We have however, included some animation tweaks with the aim of improving immersion, which as an example, means you'll be less likely to see keepers making odd looking saves with their feet. 

Making changes to the match engine is a delicate and complex business. Changes that we make often result in unforeseen knock-ons that we need to chase down and fix... and those fixes then often have their own knock-on effects as well. In a recent internal update we had an engine that ‘felt’ really good and played really nicely… except that central defenders were racking up 200+ passes in some matches, which is unrealistically high. As soon as we discovered that we had to 'go back in' to address that issue without, of course, losing the parts we liked.

Although we're happy with the engine in the current game, we’re confident that we can improve on it with the right update, but we need a bit more time to make sure we balance things out. Thanks for all of your feedback so far, it’s been and continues to be incredibly useful.

The Match Team

Ahh mate… goodnight ☹️😔

15 minutes ago, Jack Joyce said:

The Match Team

Are you going to stick to your regular 2 update cycle per edition, and are we expecting the next update in march as usual?

I was having a look back through my post history the other day to check on the response to my posts regarding a few bugs in FM23 to discover I've only really posted here in recent years in a critical manner. I've felt there's been a lot of features added over the years at the expense of resolving some pretty key issues which have affected my love of the game and the immersion levels.

I just want to thank the team at SI for the ME improvements, animation work and the scouting in FM23. The ME and the scouting in particular have been major issues for me in recent years. I still think there's improvements to be made on scouting and data on non-playable leagues but gone are the days of having to scout the same player 3/4 times to get no progress.

So in amongst some unjust criticism over the lack of features, you've made a few of us very happy. I can't wait to get stuck in. Thanks again 

• Administrators
1 minute ago, TheArsenal63 said:

Are you going to stick to your regular 2 update cycle per edition, and are we expecting the next update in march as usual?

We released six major and minor updates last year, seven if you include the one during the Early Access Beta phase. 

2 minutes ago, TheArsenal63 said:

It's usually 3 updates (depending on issues) and the next one has never been only in March. Not sure why you've made that up tbh 

Why it needs to be so cryptic who knows? What makes SI so special they are unable to post a changelog?

Now we have go scour through bug threads in coming days to hope they've touched something? Unreal. I know FM is a time sink but do you really need to waste our time here as well. The disrespect for customers and their time is monumental. 

7 minutes ago, SeaCarrot said:

This is so so wrong. 🥱🫣

• SI Staff
2 minutes ago, TheArsenal63 said:

We're currently working towards an update before Christmas, we'll be updating before March.

2 minutes ago, akkm said:

Boom...hi Jack,

Even though lots will have wanted an update on launch I really feel that's the type of communication which people have been asking for so thanks for being transparent and giving us an insight into what's been going on behind the scenes...that's helpful. It makes sense what you say re getting things right before releasing an update

Well done

Communication is really important - even if its not always the news people want to hear. But believe me, everyone on the team is working hard on improvements and has been throughout the beta period and hopefully you'll see that work soon!

1 minute ago, themadsheep2001 said:

It's usually 3 updates (depending on issues) and the next one has never been only in March. Not sure why you've made that up tbh 

I haven't made anything up (why would I, that's such an odd thing to accuse me of), from memory (and I've been playing this game for a while), there's usually an update on release for the ME, then any major bugs get addressed in march. I might be misremembering but this happened on FM20.

I'm pretty sure your last ME update has always been along with the winter update. And on some versions (depending on severity) it's always been march.

6 minutes ago, Jack Joyce said:

We're currently working towards an update before Christmas, we'll be updating before March.

Communication is really important - even if its not always the news people want to hear. But believe me, everyone on the team is working hard on improvements and has been throughout the beta period and hopefully you'll see that work soon!

That's all I wanted to know, thanks for letting us know. I'll come back when those updates are in.

Just now, TheArsenal63 said:

I haven't made anything up (why would I, that's such an odd thing to accuse me of), from memory (and I've been playing this game for a while), there's usually an update on release for the ME, then any major bugs get addressed in march. I might be misremembering but this happened on FM20.

I'm pretty sure your last ME update has always been along with the winter update. And on some versions (depending on severity) it's always been march.

You're misremembering, as that typically isn't the cycle. In fact last the year the first ME update (post release, as there was one on release) dropped early December. 

31 minutes ago, Jack Joyce said:

While the current match engine is the same one that featured in the Early Access Beta, this doesn't mean that we’re not working on improvements. In fact, we're currently in the process of taking on board the feedback we received from Beta players and looking to incorporate this in a forthcoming major update. We have however, included some animation tweaks with the aim of improving immersion, which as an example, means you'll be less likely to see keepers making odd looking saves with their feet. 

The Match Team

Does one of the animation tweaks include fixing defenders standing still, waiting to be pressed?

Edited by ajw10

6 minutes ago, TheArsenal63 said:

Is there not one usually just before the festive period?

1 minute ago, themadsheep2001 said:

You're misremembering, as that typically isn't the cycle. In fact last the year the first ME update (post release, as there was one on release) dropped early December. 

I might be , but I could have sworn  FM20, possibly 19 and 21. I'd have to look back, but there was solid 2 versions where there was major issues with the ME that wasn't resolve until march. It was more of surprise than the norm when we got an ME update before march to fix the major issues reported in the bug tracker

It's fine now anyway since Jack has confirmed there will be one before Christmas.

well it is disappointing not having changes on the match engine on release but i understand that they probably tried to address some of the problems reported but i have to agree with them, if the end product was not good enough after implementing some changes is better to push those changes for a few days (hopefully) and release an update with something more polished.

any change on the match engine is like trying to balance a spider web, u move one side and the whole web changes, i rather wait than have some fixes but with new annoying bugs.

at the same time am not saying that after they update the match engine everything is going to be perfect, probably am going to be reporting bugs as i have done before but i appreciate the position they took on holding the changes on the match engine because they didnt like the state of it.

Edited by kertiek

Just now, Mcfc1894 said:

player values have bugged since the update 

Screenshot (138).png

Screenshot (139).png

This was in the beta for those two players right at the start of a save too. Weirdly seems to correct to something more realistic after a couple of weeks iirc

27 minutes ago, SeaCarrot said:

Feel free to name a single developer that creates a 'beta' for 'bug finding' and then posts ZERO information about any that were fixed or addressed in release. But you'll have a hard time. 

Drop the Beta terminology and call it pre order early access only and the complaint will leave. As that's what it really is. 

They have external testers, that “plays” the game even before the beta comes out and addresses a lot of the bugs in game. Name one company that releases a perfect game on 1st release, then name another company that then releases a fix soon after. You can’t.