England V Tunisia 1900 BST BBC1

decapitated

• Replies 863
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, themadsheep2001 said:

He obviously thought the person behind had a better shot. Really weird thing to be annoyed about. 

More annoying is the fact that Lingard must have called for it then acted surprised when he got it.

10 minutes ago, warlock said:

Yeah, I get that. But a good manager will play the game - and the team - in front of you, not the textbook.

I do see what you're saying but it was clear he wasn't going to spend years drilling a formation and then just change it first game, the players would have probably been a tad confused. I get the feeling had we drawn with a standard approach and formation there would be a lot of talk about identity's and philosophies as there has been in previous years. 

If it fails miserably then fine but im actually quite glad we've got a clear idea and setup, aslong as we've also got backups for when it clearly isnt working.

1 minute ago, G-Man11 said:

Not really all that worse looking than today's set of fixtures?

Egypt-Russia should be entertaining since Egypt has to win.

Japan is pretty bad, imo and Colombia should take care of them, even though they're not on the level they should be.

Poland-Senegal could be a great game, Senegal is by far the best African team with deadly trio upfront.

Just now, Baptista_8 said:

I'm English and I did laugh at that. We've just snuck past Tunisia ffs.

In fairness, a bunch of the "big" teams have struggled in the opening games. Argentina being held by Iceland was a big surprise, same with the Swiss and Brazil.

1 minute ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Egypt-Russia should be entertaining since Egypt has to win.

Japan is pretty bad, imo and Colombia should take care of them, even though they're not on the level they should be.

Poland-Senegal could be a great game, Senegal is by far the best African team with deadly trio upfront.

Sheesh more anti-Asian stuff

2 minutes ago, Marc Albrighton said:

I do see what you're saying but it was clear he wasn't going to spend years drilling a formation and then just change it first game... If it fails miserably then fine but im actually quite glad we've got a clear idea and setup

Oh yes, me too. Especially as it's a setup that's working so far. Unlike some previous England managers we could mention...

1 minute ago, Heartwork said:

In fairness, a bunch of the "big" teams have struggled in the opening games. Argentina being held by Iceland was a big surprise, same with the Swiss and Brazil.

Both Iceland and Switzerland are a hell of a lot better than Tunisia.

3 minutes ago, Baptista_8 said:

I'm English and I did laugh at that. We've just snuck past Tunisia ffs.

But we dug in against a team who defended for pretty much most of the game and came away with a win. 

4 minutes ago, RTHerringbone said:

Tomorrow seems like a bit of a come down.

Screen Shot 2018-06-18 at 21.17.54.png

Looks alright, Group H interesting since they'll probably all think they have a reasonable chance of going through, Russia game also interesting to get an idea of how good they actually are, whether Salah plays, plus Russia could qualify for the knockouts.

1 minute ago, daylight said:

Both Iceland and Switzerland are a hell of a lot better than Tunisia.

Yeah, though you could argue that Brazil and Argentina are a hell of a lot better than England. Still expecting to see tabloid journos hastily dismantling their crucifixes for Kyle Walker and switching to WE'RE GONNA WIN THE WORLD CUP tomorrow.

10 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

He obviously thought the person behind had a better shot. Really weird thing to be annoyed about. 

He had a clear shot in the box :D

He chose to dummy it. What don't you understand? It was a bizarre decision. 

Utterly bizzare! 

11 minutes ago, G-Man11 said:

Not really all that worse looking than today's set of fixtures?

10 minutes ago, EnterUsernameHere said:

I think the look like a great set personally. Got a lot of big players I'm interested to see.

4 minutes ago, afced7 said:

Looks alright, Group H interesting since they'll probably all think they have a reasonable chance of going through, Russia game also interesting to get an idea of how good they actually are, whether Salah plays, plus Russia could qualify for the knockouts.

Aside from Colombia, it's all a bit "meh" for me, but that's the joy of the World Cup.

FWIW I expect Russia to end the Egyptian story, Colombia to stroll past Japan and Poland to nick a win against Senegal.

So we'll get the opposite.

4 minutes ago, RTHerringbone said:

Aside from Colombia, it's all a bit "meh" for me, but that's the joy of the World Cup.

FWIW I expect Russia to end the Egyptian story, Colombia to stroll past Japan and Poland to nick a win against Senegal.

So we'll get the opposite.

I think Senegal will surprise a lot of people. They look like Africa's best chance in years to finally do well in a world cup. Mané hat trick 

Well if you could encapsulate England's last few tournament performances in a match that would be it. Domination against a weak opponent to very little avail, stupid penalty conceded, struggle to score against weak opponent, just about enough reason to object to the referee, abject tempo failure and then the late goal to keep the hope alive (because it's the hope that really hurts you)

In between, you had to wonder whether having one of the world's most dangerous attacking fullbacks as a **** centre back was an experiment due to come to an end, especially when it was Maguire that actually realised he could step forward into midfield. Overall I thought the Southgate setup worked OK, but their confidence is fragile

15 minutes ago, Bliss Seeker said:

Utterly bizzare! 

Because he got a call from the man behind. You're taught to leave to the man behind because he can see you and you can see behind you. It's really simple, and you're the only one weirdly fixated on it. There's nothing bizarre about ir

18 minutes ago, Bliss Seeker said:

Utterly bizzare! 

Watch the replay of it again.

He goes nuts that he got the shout when he realises that he had the better chance. 

He trusted the shout, not his fault at all.

2 minutes ago, daylight said:

Watch the replay of it again.

He goes nuts that he got the shout when he realises that he had the better chance. 

He trusted the shout, not his fault at all.

Exactly. You trust the call of the person behind you. Lingard got it wrong 

Enjoying the "ENGLAND MUST DO BETTER" as though a whole boat load of top nations haven't just had very average performances.

First half was very good, created plenty of chances. Finish those and we cruise. The tempo definitely dropped second half but even then there was changes to try and give us the upperhand such as the pushing forward of the CBs. RLC should have come on a bit sooner but other than that I don't have a massive issue with the way the game was managed. Tunisia clearly changed as well to play for the draw after half time which makes things difficult and it wasn't like Iceland where it was just "lol throw strikers on and hope for the best"

And then this is ignoring the absolutely appalling VAR not giving us at least 2 blatant penalties. Second half should have been better but we've only got Panama to go who'll play that way against us and they don't seem as competent as Tunisia.

Whatever, I'd expect Rashford to hit that despite a call. Its his job to smack to the ball towards goal, especially when he was that free with the game tied. 

Don't matter now obviously, but the blame's on the person making the decision not to shoot and showboat with a trick, not the one making a call. 

He completely right to have a barmy at Lingard though. Stupid call. 

I really don't get some of the people in here who are so downbeat. First off, we know where we are as a team - we know that we're not going all the way, and 3 points against a properly tricky Tunisia team IS massive for getting out of the group. Tunisia came into the game on the back of some decent results and were always the 'banana skin' for want of a better term. It was always going to be this sort of annoying game, it would have been for most of the top sides too! Why should it be any different for us?

Secondly, we shouldn't put down the performance. If you add up the 2 goals, the Lingard volley, Lingard hitting the post, Stones spooning the chance on the turn, Rashford's dummy, and then 2 penalty shouts, that's 8 decent chances. Throw into the mix the fact that it was a debatable penalty to give away, and it shows up to be a good performance. On another day we win that 4-0.

Obviously there are improvements to be made, and we won't get away with it against top teams, but ffs, there are more positives than negatives out of that performance imo. We need to be better with finishing, we went missing for a period in the second half, and we need to tighten up at the back. But barely any team has played so far this World Cup without a few improvements necessary.

5 minutes ago, Robbie.Knox said:

I really don't get some of the people in here who are so downbeat. First off, we know where we are as a team - we know that we're not going all the way, and 3 points against a properly tricky Tunisia team IS massive for getting out of the group. Tunisia came into the game on the back of some decent results and were always the 'banana skin' for want of a better term. It was always going to be this sort of annoying game, it would have been for most of the top sides too! Why should it be any different for us?

Secondly, we shouldn't put down the performance. If you add up the 2 goals, the Lingard volley, Lingard hitting the post, Stones spooning the chance on the turn, Rashford's dummy, and then 2 penalty shouts, that's 8 decent chances. Throw into the mix the fact that it was a debatable penalty to give away, and it shows up to be a good performance. On another day we win that 4-0.

Obviously there are improvements to be made, and we won't get away with it against top teams, but ffs, there are more positives than negatives out of that performance imo. We need to be better with finishing, we went missing for a period in the second half, and we need to tighten up at the back. But barely any team has played so far this World Cup without a few improvements necessary.

Very good post. Room for improvement of course, but baffled by some who seem to suggest we got lucky. We were clearly the better team against a solid team that have caused other good teams problems (albeit in friendlies) The first half was probably one of the most impressive of the tournament from one of the bigger teams. Second half could have been better but once Southgate made changes you could see the impact and we started creating again, just half chances though rather than anything clear. 

I'm intrigued with how Belgium do against them, as based off today I don't think they'll do that much better. 

There's a lot more positives than negatives from this, while of course it needs to be looked at and see where we can improve.  

12 minutes ago, Robbie.Knox said:

Good post.

Yer still pish!

I really don't know why threads like this bring the worst out of people on here. Some really bitter people around who are so obsessed with putting the boot into anything even relating to England that they just come out with some complete ********. And I don't mean daylight. It's fine coming in with 'banter' (really hate that word) but some of the comments from some users are just stupid.

Were England great tonight? No. For the first 30 mins we had spells where we looked dangerous and on another night could've been 4-1 going into half-time. Second-half lacked the same tempo. Whether it was because Tunisia tightened up as they had something to hold onto or we tired too much and ran out of ideas - I don't know. It was sluggish and we got back into the usual pointless passing possession that I hate. We're not Spain / Barcelona so stop trying to play in a way that doesn't suit us. We need a fast tempo even if it's a bit more direct at times. 

At the end of the day we got the result we needed. A win tonight means that a win against Panama probably puts us through. There is plenty of improvements to be made but hopefully an extended period of time together will help us work on our problems. At least we feel like a team and that's a big positive.

Archived