England V Tunisia 1900 BST BBC1

decapitated

1 hour ago, themadsheep2001 said:

He didn't make himself open for space. His off the ball movement was really poor. Can't be a option if you don't make yourself one

When the Roman legions marched they had light infantry and cavalry but the strength was their legionary cohorts. Despite the faster movement of the light troops and horse, they would amble along as a screen, not charge ahead of, for the main bulk.

If Kane is our best finisher and primary goal scorer... the wise move is to let him find space, not rampage forward then point and say he isn't there.

• Replies 863
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, westy8chimp said:

When the Roman legions marched they had light infantry and cavalry but the strength was their legionary cohorts. Despite the faster movement of the light troops and horse, they would amble along as a screen, not charge ahead of, for the main bulk.

If Kane is our best finisher and primary goal scorer... the wise move is to let him find space, not rampage forward then point and say he isn't there.

I'll ignore the analogy and get to the point, he has to actually move his body to find space. He doesnt need to be that deep when at high tempo, and at low temop, he needs to be pulling into the channels, either to lay the ball off, or get on the half turn to shoot. The last thing England should do is become one dimensional in their attack, but he isn't pulling his weight off the ball. Ronaldo, for example might be relatively lazy but even he as a focal point made more off the ball runs in one half against Spain, than Kane did all game against Tunisia. Our biggest threat is our speed. Slowing down for Kane makes no sense.

Disagree... Kane is our goals... Sterling and lingard looked good and are hoodwinking you... They are not gona get as many goals playing to their strength as we would playing to kanes. Cant rely on set pieces to win a world cup

3 minutes ago, westy8chimp said:

Disagree... Kane is our goals... Sterling and lingard looked good and are hoodwinking you... They are not gona get as many goals playing to their strength as we would playing to kanes. Cant rely on set pieces to win a world cup

We did this before with Rooney, and got precisely nowhere. Rather play to the teams strengths

I think we should be getting to the Quarter Finals just based on who our prospective Last 16 opponents are, and if we go no further I'll take that as a good result. Back to where we normally end up. Any further than QFs will be a bonus.

14 hours ago, themadsheep2001 said:

We did this before with Rooney, and got precisely nowhere. Rather play to the teams strengths

Except Kane's already massively outperforming Rooney at World Cups, so it's not really comparable.

To me this system seems to work OK, certainly no need to change it much because a dirty, scrappy team almost managed to bundle an undeserved draw.

14 hours ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Also this idea we're not playing to his strengths is nonsense. For Spurs, he frequently moves to the wide channels, to link with the wide player and forward midfield runner, or peels off centrally. He didn't to any of that

I agree with your earlier point that we can't become too one dimensional... but Monday night didn't exactly seem like 2 succinct plans... more like 1 disjointed plan.

The difference at Spurs, we are basically replacing Eriksen and Dembele with Lingard and Sterling... not the same at all. I'm saying if we want best out of Kane we should go for a closer fit of players around him... maybe RLC is the answer.

1 hour ago, m_fenton said:

Except Kane's already massively outperforming Rooney at World Cups, so it's not really comparable.

To me this system seems to work OK, certainly no need to change it much because a dirty, scrappy team almost managed to bundle an undeserved draw.

He's got two goals yes, but his actual movement is really poor at the moment and it will be a hindrance against sides who a better than Tunisia. And it's not like he isn't capable of the kind of movement the side needs. 

33 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

He's got two goals yes, but his actual movement is really poor at the moment and it will be a hindrance against sides who a better than Tunisia. And it's not like he isn't capable of the kind of movement the side needs. 

Not sure you can really read that much into his game after one match.

Archived