Football Manager Early Access Beta *Official* Feedback Thread - 18.0.3

Message added by Neil Brock

If you have constructive feedback please post it in this thread.

If you have something you think is wrong or a bug, please raise it in the relevant section of the bugs forum

https://community.sigames.com/forum/563-football-manager-2018-early-access-beta-bugs-forum/

This will be the surest way anything that you notice or that bothers you can be addressed. Thanks.

Enjoying the game so far my only thing would be during the matches (not sure if this is a bug or not so would be nice if someone could clarify) is when the match sounds completely stop when there is no highlight, and when you have a sudden stop then an almost immediate start it is quite unpleasant. 

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators
31 minutes ago, louissiscool said:

Enjoying the game so far my only thing would be during the matches (not sure if this is a bug or not so would be nice if someone could clarify) is when the match sounds completely stop when there is no highlight, and when you have a sudden stop then an almost immediate start it is quite unpleasant. 

Yeah it's an issue we're aware of and looking into. Thanks. 

Despite my earlier optimism, having now played through nearly two seasons, the jury is out.  It is probably just me, but I am really struggling to find a tactic that works and I have never had this issue before.  Also, my players are constantly disinterested in me due to my low reputation.  I started unemployed, Sunday League rep, no qualifications, so had to earn my job in the sixth tier.  Yet I am rated as Very Poor by the players (only been at this club for three games due to being sacked earlier by last club).

Like I said, this could just be me though.

Some feedback - The new scouting tool doesn't really work for me.  Why are the scouting reports I ask for not sent to my inbox?  I have to manually find them in the Scouting tab.

• SI Staff
On 28/10/2017 at 11:08, Welbeck19 said:

I noticed the corner thing as well but as soon as I set up my own corner routines they work well, the players default to go forward, when you change them to attack far Post, attack from deep etc it makes a massive difference! 

Lack of Variation for Attacking Corners was on the known issues list and it was only for Human Managers.

Nice to read that Welbeck19 done the best thing in this situation and created his own instead of using the defaults. The defaults will be changed, however this is the best way to enjoy attacking corners at this time, time to get creative guys ;) 

Just now, stevemc said:

Sorry, does anyone have an answer to this? Thanks...

You will be able to change it in the section where you change the camera view. There's a tick box there, but it's not working at the moment. It's a known issue though, so should be fixed for release. 

Just now, Dagenham_Dave said:

You will be able to change it in the section where you change the camera view. There's a tick box there, but it's not working at the moment. It's a known issue though, so should be fixed for release. 

Ahh that makes sense, I did try that and nothing happened. Thanks for clearing that up :thup:

Overall I am really impressed with the 2018 edition.  Big steps forward all over the place.  All of my complaints have to do with UI adjustments.  I'll list them in order from most to least impactful.

1. Please return the ability to edit search to the results screen, having to click the edit search, change a search and then close that window to see the updated results is infuriating.  I spend a lot of time looking for players via attribute search and then lowering the required attributes until players start to show up.  This has greatly affected finding players and staff.

2. The tactics tab on the in match screen is useless, make it the full featured tactics screen from the right hand side button of that screen where I get the full pre game tactics display.

3. Scouting list entries are too tall, so not enough fit on a page.  Either turn the grid sideways or shrink it, it's too hard to take in that information at a glance.

4.  On the tactics (out of match) screen, it is difficult to know which part of the button I'm about to press.  They are so small and there's no highlight or anything to let me know if I'm picking the player or the role or what, just a little feedback element would be very helpful.

21 minutes ago, JorshRod said:

Overall I am really impressed with the 2018 edition.  Big steps forward all over the place.  All of my complaints have to do with UI adjustments. 

I'm coming around to pretty much feel the same. Many aspects are much better, it just doesn't feel well enough presented. Some of that I'm sure will be mere unfamiliarity, some of it actual unintuitiveness .

It keeps freezing on me during match days at either half or full time, so I'm probably going to take a break until the release day patch fixes some things since I don't want to have to keep reloading to play games I've already played. Though it is the buggiest Beta version I've seen in a while.

Is there a way to turn off the title music? If I have to listen to one song over and over for a year I'm going to throw the laptop out the window. It even plays when I go into the preferences screen. If I want music, I'll play my own.

The set piece taker screen is waaaaaaay too cluttered. It is hard to accurately drop people into the order you want. Think you need to start separating them into separate screens like you have for penalty takers.

I'm not a fan of extra match animations. It already takes a lot of time to do things in the game, so I'm against any unnecessary thing that works against the game being streamlined.

Also don't like the greyed out numbers when negotiating. That is a universal colour for "can't change" in gaming. Not a fan of all player names being CAPsed.

Haven't played around too much otherwise since the match freezes kind of halted me a bit. The dynamic system seems cool but I haven't seen it in action too much, and I do like how the tactic screen now highlights weak areas of your formation. I prefer the match day screen from FM17 though. It was a lot more customisable. I'd rather have all that space where it shows the body languages of the two teams showing something else. Instead it seems I can only customise the tiny middle boxes.

The latest scores also seems to lag way behind the actual match score if I have that screen up.

I have a few other issues but it seems other people have raised them already.

Edited by Cannibal

I've posted already about how poor the intelligence of players in the game is and how counter attacks are often wasted. Two screen shots below sum up just how appalling of a state the ME is in right now. Last year was a poor fm imo but this year i'm struggling to play it at all. 

20171029170045_1.jpg

20171029170114_1.jpg

On 10/28/2017 at 08:49, Mr U Rosler said:

I'm pretty sure they're is a great game here, however the UI is currently so bad I can't find it.

By this stage the UI should be nailed down, a slick interface that does not lurch from release to release.

In its current state the game is a user unfriendly mess.

If this was a demo there is no way i'd buy it.

It is a beta however so i'm looking forward to major improvements on release.

It pains me to say this.

You are completely right.

Why can't they define interface guidelines and keep to them?

These constant fiddling with the interface means that every year we have to readjust.

And as a software developer I can assure you in most guidelines for interface development this is usually one of the worst scenarios.

Edited by Hansaplast

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, RobertPage said:

I've posted already about how poor the intelligence of players in the game is and how counter attacks are often wasted. Two screen shots below sum up just how appalling of a state the ME is in right now. Last year was a poor fm imo but this year i'm struggling to play it at all. 

20171029170045_1.jpg

20171029170114_1.jpg

If you could please raise this issue with a pkm in our match engine forums the team can investigate. Thanks. 

• SI Staff
4 hours ago, corneille said:

My biggest gripe is scouting. I have no idea how anything works anymore.

1. What is the data analyst report? Why doesn't it contain more information?

2. Can scouts be assigned to a region and a competition? Or even multiple competitions at once

3. How long does it take to produce a scout report?

4. Where can I view pending scout reports?

I like the idea of having a dedicated section for scouting but it seems a bit sloppy atm. Too many changes made for no real reason

1. Data analyst report will give the user statistical information on a players performance throughout the season. So will tell the user about the most positive/negative stats for the player. For example an analyst may come and tell you of a player in France who has the highest interceptions in Ligue 1 which may interest the user to go on to scout the player. The user can also ask a Data Analyst to get a report on a player, so the user can see how their statistical information compares to a positive scout report they have received on a player. It is designed to give the user a better overall picture of the player to help when making a decision to make a transfer offer or not. 

The further the season goes on the more information is provided on the analyst report. So after two games of the season not much info will be on hand, however as the season progresses you will see analyst reports provide more info. 

2. User can assign scouts to region, competitions, nations etc via the Create Assignment Dialog. There will be a 'Scope' option in the top right hand corner where the user can choose these from. A scout can't do multiple competition, nation, region assignments at the same time. The user will be able to create an assignment for the scout to start after the completion of their current assignment though. This can be seen on the Scouting -> Assignments page. There will be Previous Assignment, Current Assignment and Next Assignment columns. 

3. Not 100% sure what you mean by this? The user can set the length of time or matches on scout reports on players. On assignments to comps, nations etc then the user can set a period of time. 

4. Individual scout reports on players that are pending can be seen on the Scouting -> Assignments -> Players page. 

Cheers,

Ben

5 hours ago, treble_yell_:-) said:

Asking again cause out was late last time -

How do you stop the  game landing on social ?

In 17 you could make it so it always landed on your inbox rather than the social page.  I can't find the setting in 18 and its driving me nuts. 

Preferences > Interface > Screen Flow > Untick 'Visit News Screen Automatically"

Only just downloaded and not got very far at all yet but a few things have immediately leapt out at me:

• The design a manager feature is as badly implemented as last year. I just want to stick a silly photo in of me and not bother with the process of designing myself. Anyone of 5 feet 10 over eleven stone has a paunch like someone with a horrific disease
  • How do I look at the team and players before I choose? Presumably there somewhere but I couldn't immediately find it

• When you hover over the ‘i’ on a player the fade to black for the background is needlessly off-putting

• On the search player/staff screen you now click on new search or edit search. Once you go back to the screen showing the results and you can no longer see what you have chosen or edit your choices on the result screen itself. Previously, for example, you would see your search parameters and the results below. You could then change them without clicking on to another screen. Hugely irritating

2 hours ago, Nic Madden said:

Lack of Variation for Attacking Corners was on the known issues list and it was only for Human Managers.

Nice to read that Welbeck19 done the best thing in this situation and created his own instead of using the defaults. The defaults will be changed, however this is the best way to enjoy attacking corners at this time, time to get creative guys ;) 

Corners and free kicks were so frustrating the previous FM but I have to admit it's great in FM18. The players are really picking up the instructions.

Further observations

Far too many replica shirts in the crowd,

picnic tables look out of place

I've seen one corner floodlight pylon behind another

It's like the graphic artists who draw the stadiums have never been to one.

On the positive side I think the weather looks better

• SI Staff
On 10/27/2017 at 22:06, sammiller14 said:

For reference, it's this screen I don't like:

6f5e343db49233057de64305eebf60c1.png

Someone may already have got back to you on this, but there is an option in match settings called 'Show match info between highlights'. If you untick this option, this pop-up doesn't show and any widgets you've put on the pitch show instead, so you can customise it how you like.

27 minutes ago, Ben Kenney said:

1. Data analyst report will give the user statistical information on a players performance throughout the season. So will tell the user about the most positive/negative stats for the player. For example an analyst may come and tell you of a player in France who has the highest interceptions in Ligue 1 which may interest the user to go on to scout the player. The user can also ask a Data Analyst to get a report on a player, so the user can see how their statistical information compares to a positive scout report they have received on a player. It is designed to give the user a better overall picture of the player to help when making a decision to make a transfer offer or not. 

The further the season goes on the more information is provided on the analyst report. So after two games of the season not much info will be on hand, however as the season progresses you will see analyst reports provide more info. 

2. User can assign scouts to region, competitions, nations etc via the Create Assignment Dialog. There will be a 'Scope' option in the top right hand corner where the user can choose these from. A scout can't do multiple competition, nation, region assignments at the same time. The user will be able to create an assignment for the scout to start after the completion of their current assignment though. This can be seen on the Scouting -> Assignments page. There will be Previous Assignment, Current Assignment and Next Assignment columns. 

3. Not 100% sure what you mean by this? The user can set the length of time or matches on scout reports on players. On assignments to comps, nations etc then the user can set a period of time. 

4. Individual scout reports on players that are pending can be seen on the Scouting -> Assignments -> Players page. 

Cheers,

Ben

Thanks for the response Ben.

1. Understood, I haven't been using DA's to their full potential in this case.

2. What's the reason for removing the ability for concurrent assignments? Being able to have one youth scout who scout the under23's and u18's was a real benefit... Now i need a scout for each. This will really limit LLM.

3. In FM17, if i requested a scout report for a player i'd receive one the next day or so. Seems to take a lot longer in FM18.

4. Thanks!

32 minutes ago, Ben Kenney said:

Hi Ben,

If I have a scout on an on-going assignment, like scouting the Premier League, will they not be able to scout other competitions at the same time, like the u20 south american cup?

What if the competition is at a different time i.e. premier league ends in May and World Cup starts in June and ends in July, will the scout be able to do both of those?

Thanks

Just had an inbox item stating my striker is no nearer to scoring his first goal for the club and it seems to be affecting his confidence - this would be fine if it hadn't come up after his debut as a second half sub.

So he scored twice in the next match which apparently ended his goal drought - that part is in context as it refers back to his time at another club last season.

Edited by Swindon69

2 hours ago, DazRTaylor said:

Despite my earlier optimism, having now played through nearly two seasons, the jury is out.  It is probably just me, but I am really struggling to find a tactic that works and I have never had this issue before.  Also, my players are constantly disinterested in me due to my low reputation.  I started unemployed, Sunday League rep, no qualifications, so had to earn my job in the sixth tier.  Yet I am rated as Very Poor by the players (only been at this club for three games due to being sacked earlier by last club).

Like I said, this could just be me though.

Some feedback - The new scouting tool doesn't really work for me.  Why are the scouting reports I ask for not sent to my inbox?  I have to manually find them in the Scouting tab.

4141, 442, 4411 are all golden non league. Not tried them anywhere else. 👍

22 minutes ago, CapAtom said:

Only just downloaded and not got very far at all yet but a few things have immediately leapt out at me:

• The design a manager feature is as badly implemented as last year. I just want to stick a silly photo in of me and not bother with the process of designing myself. Anyone of 5 feet 10 over eleven stone has a paunch like someone with a horrific disease

• On the search player/staff screen you now click on new search or edit search. Once you go back to the screen showing the results and you can no longer see what you have chosen or edit your choices on the result screen itself. Previously, for example, you would see your search parameters and the results below. You could then change them without clicking on to another screen. Hugely irritating

Haha this is so true.

I'm 5'10" and 200lbs irl  , fit as hell and have a good physique , yet in the game I look like a rather oddly shaped Mr Blooby unless I drop it down to 160ish lbs. Ronaldo irl weighs 10 lbs than me yet my avatar would look more like Razer Ruddock.

I also agree on the filters aspect during player or staff search. Seems to be the theme of this years UI is adding complexity ( and more click) where they really weren't needed.

Edited by treble_yell_:-)

Player traits appear to be having a large bearing on player behaviour.

Vanarama_National_League_North_Stats_Pla

Jason_Oswell_Overview_Profile.png

Jason has the 'likes to beat offside trap' trait, despite being played as DLF/Support all season he clearly can't help himself and has been constantly caught offside.

Looks like we'll need to keep a close eye on player traits and seriously consider how they will impact our overall tactic. (which is fine)

21 hours ago, treble_yell_:-) said:

Side note , can anyone remember how to stop the game landing on the social feed ( ie always got o inbox rather than social) I can't remember how I did it in 17 and it's driving me nuts.

You can turn it off from the Preferences -> Interface -> Screen Flow page.

I like the new scouting system, definitely an indispensable improvement, but maybe a simple message in the inbox that informs us to check the scouting page to see the new results incoming would be highly appreciated.

And... any chances to see the capital letters removed at the dayone? I don't like using third party skins and always appreciate the base graphic, but that's absolutely disturbing and unaesthetic.

On to a match now and the half time changing of tactics is a chore. The tactics screen with the pitch and player positions and the list of players and the roles they can play is available but you have to click on tactics and then find and click on the tiny tactics box (top rightish with a square and three dots) to get to it. This should be the default screen as it is the only one with all the info you need on it, other wise the info you want is split in two. An odd choice.

Also, whereas previously the pre-match went through set up, opposition, team talk etc now setting up opposition instructions seems to be something I have to go and find. Maybe I'm wrong, it is only my first match and perhaps I skipped something but that was how it seemed. Again, an odd choice.

Edited by CapAtom
Leftish instead of rightish

A quick note about "Bug Reports" being raised in the Match Engine section - relatively few are supported with the level of detail required to enable SI to actually investigate. I've no doubt been infuriating people by asking for .pkm files to be added showing potential bugs, but those are the same things that Mods and the QA staff will request anyway.

SI can't investigate anecdotal statements, so it's a key part of the Beta process for any bug report to be supported with appropriate evidence. There are plenty of links in that section of the forum to show how to write and support bug reports, but I'll reiterate them here:

Cheers :thup:

40 minutes ago, Mr U Rosler said:

Player traits appear to be having a large bearing on player behaviour.

<snip images>

Jason has the 'likes to beat offside trap' trait, despite being played as DLF/Support all season he clearly can't help himself and has been constantly caught offside.

Looks like we'll need to keep a close eye on player traits and seriously consider how they will impact our overall tactic. (which is fine)

I flagged the silly number of offsides for players with the beats offside trap PPM in FM17 - interesting to see more stat's relating to that PPM (which I hate) in FM18.

When I ask my scout to put together a scouting report on X team, I am not getting a list of potential loans.

What am I doing wrong? btw when I ask the scout to prepare the report on the team, it mentions in the popup that they will also provide  a list of suitable loanees.

Guest El Payaso

I haven't yet managed a single competitive match on this newest iteration but will still comment a little bit about the match engine:

As I requested there now seem to be more of those long range through balls from the more creative players and for example my DLP is putting in some beauties and by that creating good breaks as I wish tactically. Much better and I hope that this 'feature' is here to stay as for me the term 'creativity' or 'vision' has been almost completely missing from the game. 

Sadly though the defending seems to be quite a bit the same based on highlights. Centre backs still do not aggressively step out of the defensive line to close down the striker and this at times makes the support role with a striker too dominating. Also what I see a lot with defenders (still) is full backs totally falling asleep in slow build-ups which allows the winger or overlapping full back to escape and the other full back falling asleep at far post and this leads to both lots of free crosses and easy tap ins from the far post. The defenders in general should be more of experts inside the penalty area and dominating especially against the wide attacking players but that doesn't seem to be the case.

In terms of midfield the lack of pressure on the ball carrier especially with more than one player again seems to lead to the fact that the playmakers are seeing far too much of the ball. Again cannot stress enough that SI most definitely should make strikers defend instead of letting them loaf around and by that also nullifying lot of the CB roles as they cannot take part to the build ups. I simply do not understand why they do not consider doing this and see how it goes. 

The midfield and the penalty area simply require more aggression and better marking and by that the effectivity of slow tempo approaches would drop.

1.thumb.jpg.c96c3e5cce394fa63278279134a980fd.jpg2.thumb.jpg.a443a4ef03a35c92fc78aac525014abd.jpg

This is a really good example of what annoys me. In the SC one you can clearly notice that Lemos is in ideal position to deal with this but what he does after the cross comes in is that he starts walking wrong direction while the striker (who isn't a good penalty area player) makes really active movement to connect with the ball and scores with ease. Both the goalkeeper and Lemos are really poor in this example and both of them should be clearly better penalty area players than the striker Berisha. This is even more common with full backs who especially on FM 2017 regularly just walked away from the ball at far post to allow easy goals for wide players. 

And all this is not said so that I think that the engine is poor or anything. I haven't clocked enough hours to totally judge it but the early signs for me are that it is of course better than the engine was in FM 2017, just with wide players shifting to middle guarantees it. But in general I don't see the ME being able to take steps forward if they do not make defensive positioning more realistic and teams defend as a team.

On 28 October 2017 at 10:04, Cougar2010 said:

You now have a scouting budget as well (Shown at the top in the scouting centre) which money is taken out of monthly.  If you run out of money in the scouting budget it defaults to what you can afford which would be nothing.

I notice the scouting packages are paid for monthly, but is the scouting budget an annual or monthly one? So, if the desired surrounding leagues package is £2,700 and the budget is £2,900, does this pay for one month of access to more players (annual budget) or would it allow access for the whole season (monthly budget)?

Cheers,

TE

1 minute ago, The Enforcer said:

I notice the scouting packages are paid for monthly, but is the scouting budget an annual or monthly one? So, if the desired surrounding leagues package is £2,700 and the budget is £2,900, does this pay for one month of access to more players (annual budget) or would it allow access for the whole season (monthly budget)?

Cheers,

TE

The budget is annual so you would get one month then run out.

At that stage I can only guess what happens, package drops to nothing? No players shown on player search? perhaps.