Football Manager 2017 Features Video

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the 64-bit addition.  I'm not a computer expert, but I'm hoping that will improve performance on my 16gb RAM PC, not that it's bad at the moment to be fair.

I do have concerns around the social media feature.  I admit I'm not a fan of it in real life for reasons which I won't go into here, but I also remember the last time the inbox was split from more general news.  I think I thought it'd be a good idea because it'd remove some clutter from the inbox, but what actually happened was that I wasn't informed at all on what was happening elsewhere in the world, as I ended up looking at the news screen rarely.  That immersion was lost.

At the moment I don't necessarily look at the news stories coming into my inbox in-depth, but I can scan over it and learn enough without it being a burden.  I don't think I'm going to be thinking to look at a new screen all the time, and so that immersion will be lost again.  Perhaps I'm lazy, but I recall this being a common complaint at the time when it happened before.

The rest seems fine however and hopefully the match engine issues are ironed out.

31 minutes ago, Chris21 said:

Midnight tonight then?

Miles said not the weekend so got to have faith it's 00:01 tonight :lol:

And he might be in a good mood after Watford won this afternoon.

Or, it might just be released when it's ready...

4 minutes ago, Kuldaniss said:

I think expecting it around next weekend should be more realistic

Civ VI is out on Friday 21st October.

So, depending on how much "testing" they want people to do they might bear that in mind, if I'm right insofar as a lot of FM players also play Civ (I could be wrong though).

My thinking would therefore be a few days before, or a few days after that date.

1 hour ago, Altair said:

Good news the 64 bit. I have 16GB RAM + SSD now. Hopefully it will be fast enough.

I have 8GB RAM + SSD, and FM16 is more than fast enough already - with all the leagues loaded and a large database. Can't wait for 64-bit FM17 :)

54 minutes ago, Mikke said:

I have 8GB RAM + SSD, and FM16 is more than fast enough already - with all the leagues loaded and a large database. Can't wait for 64-bit FM17 :)

Does SSD realy make a great difference? I have it, but I have FM 16 installed on HDD. 

4 minutes ago, Pompey1978 said:

Presumably saving and loading would be improved too, which is important in saves spanning many seasons.

In previous versions due to the way saves were compressed etc, this wasn't really the case, and any improvement was minimal during saving.

2 hours ago, Altair said:

Good news the 64 bit. I have 16GB RAM + SSD now. Hopefully it will be fast enough.

I have 16GB ram and an i7. I load every league on large DB and it still runs fast 15 yrs or so into a save on 32bit version

If your processor is one of the i5 or i7's for example, along with your ram, you will notice a speed increase. 

4 hours ago, Kuldaniss said:

I think expecting it around next weekend should be more realistic

The wording they used was 'at least two weeks before release' which is a significant change from 'around two weeks before release' as was used for previous versions.

Two weeks before release would be this Friday so based on that I am expecting Tuesday or Wednesday. 

19 minutes ago, pedrosantos said:

For those people who have bought FM17 with acess to the beta version, will this beta version be released full translated, partial translated or in english ?

It's like the full game with all languages included.

1 hour ago, ism-scfc said:

The wording they used was 'at least two weeks before release' which is a significant change from 'around two weeks before release' as was used for previous versions.

I don't think that's significant at all. I think you're clutching there. Even THEY don't know when the Beta will be released at this point. They release it when it's ready to be released.

1 minute ago, QWERTYOP said:

I don't think that's significant at all. I think you're clutching there. Even THEY don't know when the Beta will be released at this point. They release it when it's ready to be released.

Ok. I'm not moaning, it's out when it's out. But I just think SI are very careful about how they word things so there is something in that I reckon

Just now, Jakelcfc84 said:

Did anyone notice at 14:49 it says: Starting job: Start games as club manager. Do you think there is the option to take on different roles at clubs? e.g. under 21s manager

Considering Miles has said several times that they are definitely not including the ability to manage youth teams, no.

On 13/10/2016 at 22:21, KUBI said:

Just some part of male anatomy and a way to punish someone. :)

It means a way to punish someone if you are a 19th century military man. For everyone else, it means the state of the part of male anatomy you mentionned when you are emotionaly in good mood :)

9 hours ago, ism-scfc said:

Two weeks before release would be this Friday so based on that I am expecting Tuesday or Wednesday. 

I know that in previous years they said " around two weeks before release" but as I recall, the process is something like this : when Miles is happy with the current build he sends it to Sega for their OK and then he just waits, thus why a couple of times he said that he really doesn't know when the beta is released because Sega need to sign their approval.

As for the fact that CIV 6 is being launched on Friday, as far as I know when SI release the Beta they`re looking for numbers mostly. Like numbers of crosses scored per season, own goals in a season, red cards etc and they use that data. I don't think they care that much about CIV6 launch, but I may be wrong here. I'm not trying to destroy any hope, I remember last year thinking the same way and I was surprised it was released on a Wednesday night or something like that, so we'll just have to wait and see 

43 minutes ago, Kuldaniss said:

I remember last year thinking the same way and I was surprised it was released on a Wednesday night or something like that, so we'll just have to wait and see 

Last year beta was release on wednesday 28 october around 16h30 british time.

The game release was on 13 november, 16 days later.

FM15 beta was release on 23 october, the release was on 7 november, 15 days later.

14 minutes ago, Wizard boy said:

What's the maximum ram this will take? At the moment I think I've got 8gb but can get more but no point if it only goes up to a certain number. 

64-bit has only a theoretical limit I think. Something along the lines of 8 million terrabyte if I recall correct.

9 hours ago, KUBI said:

It's like the full game with all languages included.

Thank you for clarifying Kubi. I was asking because there's been some buzz that translations aren't ready until the 24 or 25th (at least the portuguese), so the Beta version would be released in english or half english / half portuguese.

2 hours ago, XaW said:

64-bit has only a theoretical limit I think. Something along the lines of 8 million terrabyte if I recall correct.

18 Exabytes to be precise, however you won't find many  consumer level Motherboards that accept more than 64Gb, at this stage i think only the Intel X99 chipset will take 128GB. But I'm not entirely up to date on my research.

Given the game was previously 32bit, and i'm unsure if FM16 was large address aware, it previously could only use 2GB. So anyone with 3GB or more should theoretically see an improvement in performance if they run 64bit OS.

2 hours ago, Wizard boy said:

What's the maximum ram this will take? At the moment I think I've got 8gb but can get more but no point if it only goes up to a certain number. 

I guess they will post system requirements in the coming days. As for RAM, it will use as much as it's programmed to use. The only certain fact is that since it's a 64 bit exe it will use more than 4 GB if needed.

33 minutes ago, andu1 said:

I guess they will post system requirements in the coming days. As for RAM, it will use as much as it's programmed to use. The only certain fact is that since it's a 64 bit exe it will use more than 4 GB if needed.

I have 8gb. Just want to know if there will be any difference if I put 16 in. If not then I might as well leave as it is.

2 minutes ago, Wizard boy said:

I have 8gb. Just want to know if there will be any difference if I put 16 in. If not then I might as well leave as it is.

It's highly unlikely. Given I have 16GB and the most I've ever seen a game use is about 7. Your PC will 'use' everything that is given to it, but whether it makes a measurable performance difference is the question, in intensive games you might see a 1-5FPS difference but since FM isn't measured in frametimes but instead by loading times, I think it will be immeasurable.

I'd recommend sticking to 8GB if your only deciding factor is FM, wait til release, measure RAM usage and wait and see. None of us plebs actually know how FM will utilize the extra RAM yet. I'll tell you when the Beta is out!

What's happening with the U21/23 teams in the Football league trophy is that in, or is there an option to participate as a lot of the top clubs declined and as a wolves fan we got to enter instead as we are category one, Is it in game? As will be useful to be able to use the youngsters :)

5 minutes ago, Jonfun1980 said:

So will we be able to run all the leagues at a quick pace now? With i7 16gb?

#64bit

This does also depend on how many leagues/divisions you are running in full detail. Generating the match reports is what takes most of the resources of your computer/RAM.

2 hours ago, SeaCarrot said:

18 Exabytes to be precise, however you won't find many  consumer level Motherboards that accept more than 64Gb, at this stage i think only the Intel X99 chipset will take 128GB. But I'm not entirely up to date on my research.

Given the game was previously 32bit, and i'm unsure if FM16 was large address aware, it previously could only use 2GB. So anyone with 3GB or more should theoretically see an improvement in performance if they run 64bit OS.

Yeah, couldn't remember the exact number, but I'm safely in the ball park of "No one have this on their computer in order to play FM".

21 minutes ago, BoxToBox said:

You'd probably get by with the 4 million, to be honest.

I would think so, yes. My poor 16 gb would be enough for me at the moment though.

I'm quite happy with a lot of the stuff that's been announced, and eagerly anticipating the other announcements Miles alluded to.

Even the stuff about AI managers for the fantasy draft will probably mean I dip into that this year.

Cue the excruciating wait for the Beta...

All seems OK, nothing that really excites me though (except the 64bit, finally means my PC will be fully utilsed when playing FM). Still looking forward to playing it though, beta this weekend would be good as I'm completely free all weekend.

My only worries are if the social media thing will actually add anything or will be just more fluff to irritate me when going about my everyday business, Facebook and Twiter annoy me enough IRL. I'm also a little concerned about the transfers dragging on/being more fleshed out etc. I know it will be more realistic, I just hope signing players doesn't become a chore.

Not fussed about the lack of added tactics, what's there already is more than enough for me. I still get confused by the tactics despite playing every year since CM3.

Archived