Football Manager 2017 Features Video

Brilliant that they've put Brexit in. I was really against it happening but now it has to be featured in the game.

Great that there are different scenarios too so it's not the same every time. Can't say I'd enjoy applying for work permits for European players but I'd much rather it simulate real life more closely.

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This Brexit stuff is utter nonsense.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/10/18/brexit-is-simulated-in-football-manager-2017-and-its-going-to-ma/

Edit : At least make it a toggle and or remove fantasy situations like Scotland leaving the UK and getting to stay a part of the EU or even more laughable - a referendum in NI. People are going to be really ****** off if a save gets ruined de to the randomness of what in game Brexit turns out to be.

4 minutes ago, treble_yell_:-) said:

Agreed. From that article:  “If people think the outcome is bleak,” he [Jacobson] shrugs, “this is what I believe could happen.” So it's all based on his "belief"?

Looks like politically-motivated drivel.

2 minutes ago, Powermonger said:

Sooooo....is there going to be any other features announced before BETA hits or is the BREXIT feature the last one?

There are still tons of new features to explore in the Beta.

The Beta came out on this day in 2012 too. I know because I had a date scheduled that night and... I ditched the Beta. Four years on and we're still together but luckily for me she's at her mother's tonight so no anniversary duties and full on Betalicious goodness. I'm owed that one I think.

14 minutes ago, Matshit said:

It's cool and all, but it sort of annoys me how much more in depth Football Manager goes when it is the English game that is influenced.

Don't you think that these situations would have an impact on the whole football world?

Great addition, SI. I really love this feature, didn't even think about of this before. Hands down.

1 minute ago, Wavelberry said:

The Beta came out on this day in 2012 too. I know because I had a date scheduled that night and... I ditched the Beta. Four years on and we're still together but luckily for me she's at her mother's tonight so no anniversary duties and full on Betalicious goodness. I'm owed that one I think.

So you still have the FM12 BETA and you sent it back to SI for the night so you can two time with the FM16 beta?! You dog you! ;)

28 minutes ago, fabioke said:

I would prefer that we could choose the outcome ourselves when loading the game.

It would be a very, very good idea to have this as a configurable option, much like the option to disable first window transfer budgets, for people that wanted to try it with a particular option.

That's as much for people who think a particular option represents a more interesting challenge as for those worried it might ruin their game or convinced a particular scenario is the most likely one.

Just now, enigmatic said:

It would be a very, very good idea to have this as a configurable option, much like the option to disable first window transfer budgets, for people that wanted to try it with a particular option.

That's as much for people who think a particular option represents a more interesting challenge as for those worried it might ruin their game or convinced a particular scenario is the most likely one.

I'm someone who enjoys a challenge and would never ever use an optional feature, but agree that FM is in many peoples' eyes an entertainment product and some for of optional tickbox for this feature does seem wise

Yeah I like the random factor in games like this, its what brings the world alive. But I also feel that a on/off toggle might be needed - idk, I rarely manage in England , but I don't want the AI to be handicapped or knackered by a 'fantasy scenario' at random. I suppose its how it all boils down in game as to how the AI is structured to deal with it....and not have a bunch of foreigners wasting away or bought in only to be sold on the cheap to get round this situation.

For me the fact that Brexit is in the game makes it worth buying,

No-one knows what is going to happen and football managers are having to plan for all possible eventualities.  So why shouldn't we when playing a game that is meant to simulate real life challenges of a football manager.

You may not think outcome X or outcome Y would ever happen but then some of us did not expect the vote to ever go the way it has.  So I think it is great that Miles and the team have chosen to simulate the various possible outcomes, including the possibility of another Scottish referendum which we know the SNP are already considering.  It cannot have been easy given the timescales for them to implement all the possibilities and I take my hat of to them for doing so.

I can see why some would like a configurable option and that's a good idea but like Per Annum it is not an option I would use.

38 minutes ago, fabioke said:

I would prefer that we could choose the outcome ourselves when loading the game.

If you really wanted to do that, I suspect you could just re-load at that point in the game until you've got the "outcome" that you want.

But for me, the uncertainty is key here - hopefully lots of tantalizing and anxiety inducing build-up in the news feeds / social media feeds as well in the game.

10 minutes ago, Yuedi said:

Don't you think that these situations would have an impact on the whole football world?

Great addition, SI. I really love this feature, didn't even think about of this before. Hands down.

Absolutely. But the game now went from "The World will be pretty much in a status quo for the next X years (depending on how long you play)" to "only change will be this single thing that is happening in the UK right now". I could probably find hundreds of similar stories from all over the world, about big political/economical changes to a country that was not done nearly as detailed in the game.

Wonder what i will feel like if i get the hard Brexit, as that will have a permanent effect on my game.
Love the uncertainty about it. Do understand if people want it to be something you can toggle on or off though. Would probably be a good idea to have it.

5 minutes ago, Lord Rowell said:

If you really wanted to do that, I suspect you could just re-load at that point in the game until you've got the "outcome" that you want.

But for me, the uncertainty is key here - hopefully lots of tantalizing and anxiety inducing build-up in the news feeds / social media feeds as well in the game.

I imagine what outcome you get will be something hardcoded at the start of the save, not something you can just reload to get a different outcome everytime.

As the article states @Walshieboy750 it will be various random outcome based on any number of things, but the randomness will still be there, so I imagine saving and loading would do it... however, given the article also explains brexit can happen anywhere from 2 years in to 7 years (?) I don't imagine it will be as easy as reloading the same way as some do for say, youth intakes.

Fantastic option. As a remoaner I am well happy that Miles has introduced this, a brave and laudable addition. Might wake a few people up to the reality of what a hard brexit will mean for the UK. Will make the game that much more interesting.

Presumably those players already in the UK will have a reserved right. Though there is no guarantee on that currently re EU citzens, pending the outsome of talks with the EU on how we treat current EU/UK immigrates e.g. UK citizens in Spain. EU citizens in the UK.

As someone who voted to leave the European Union (apologies, Remainians), I can't adequately describe to you how excited I am that Brexit - hard, soft, or whatever - is in FM17. I'm sure that Nicola Sturgeon will be delighted that Scoxit (Scottish independence from the UK) is a possibility as well. :D Sports Interactive really have thought of all the possible Brexit scenarios, haven't they?

I'm really looking forward to possibly managing in a Premier League where British players are in the majority again. That should be a very exciting challenge.

• Administrators
15 hours ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

I notice from the analytics that 76 people are currently playing the game, presumably all the alpha testers. It's so close you can almost taste it...

Where can you see this Dave? 

5 minutes ago, Neil Brock said:

Yeah those things aren't always as accurate as they appear to be, but good to know it was somewhere like that rather than officially and directly through Steam. 

http://steamcharts.com/app/482730

Well, that site takes data directly through steam and their stats.
So, yeah, it's out there in the plain sight.

Edit: They're based in Seattle, 8h behind CET and 7 behind you guys in the UK.
Updates roll out between 3 and 6pm their time. Steam also goes down for maintenence every Tuesday.

36 minutes ago, Welshace said:

As the article states @Walshieboy750 it will be various random outcome based on any number of things, but the randomness will still be there, so I imagine saving and loading would do it... however, given the article also explains brexit can happen anywhere from 2 years in to 7 years (?) I don't imagine it will be as easy as reloading the same way as some do for say, youth intakes.

Far too random in my view, it is going to be at least 2019 before we know what the implications of Brexit are and I believe that SI should have left well alone until then. You are going to be playing games with scenarios that simply don't happen in real life moving the game further away from reality.  I may well stick to FM16 until FM20 when we will have a clearer idea on how Brexit will affect football

Seems like you're cutting your nose off to spite your face there Tony.

FM has always had scenarios which are miles away from real life, just manage a team in Europe if you hate the idea so much and it happens in your game.

I don't expect it will impact U.K. managers.

3 minutes ago, ottey_swe said:

Predicted league finish and match odds will now be updated during the season if I'm correct?

Not much has been said about that but I think its an important change.

With it being more dynamic it will have an effect on how other teams set up to face you and might end the cycle that some users find themselves in of long unbeaten runs followed by long runs without a win.

3 minutes ago, Cougar2010 said:

Not much has been said about that but I think its an important change.

With it being more dynamic it will have an effect on how other teams set up to face you and might end the cycle that some users find themselves in of long unbeaten runs followed by long runs without a win.

If it makes the game more challenging , thumbs up from me.

Archived