Football Manager 2017 Features Video

10 minutes ago, andu1 said:

If it makes the game more challenging , thumbs up from me.

In addition to that, I am hoping that the AI's squad building abilities have improved a lot. That would be even more important in making the game more challenging.

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My thoughts on the Brexit addition:

1. In the article Miles says no computer game [I  assume he means football simulation] has predicted the future. Not true - FM16 does. It predicts that the 2022 World Cup will be moved from Qatar. That kind of prediction doesn't hurt the game in any way.

2. This Brexit option is very different. Given the raft of current unknowns, what the game throws up will very likely be far different from what actually happens. There's every chance that a gamer puts hundreds of hours into a campaign only to find it ruined by a nasty Brexit outcome that is randomly generated. A few versions ago SI went overboard in introducing the board takeover and many poor saps who were doing perfectly fine suddenly found their game ruined by a new board sacking them. I think this is going to be a similar experience. At the very least there ought to be an no-Brexit option in preferences or, as others have suggested, a way of choosing which Brexit option to go with, with perhaps the actual timing being randomly generated. 

SI didn't predict the 2022 WC being moved from Qatar. They chose to pretend the WC was going to be moved for coding simplicity. A decision that made sense and had very little bearing on the Brexit issue.

Will be interesting to see how 2022 WC will be handled now that a move seems less likely than when coding the previous game (but still not entirely impossible)

14 minutes ago, phnompenhandy said:

1. In the article Miles says no computer game [I  assume he means football simulation] has predicted the future. Not true - FM16 does. It predicts that the 2022 World Cup will be moved from Qatar. That kind of prediction doesn't hurt the game in any way.

2. This Brexit option is very different. Given the raft of current unknowns, what the game throws up will very likely be far different from what actually happens. There's every chance that a gamer puts hundreds of hours into a campaign only to find it ruined by a nasty Brexit outcome that is randomly generated. A few versions ago SI went overboard in introducing the board takeover and many poor saps who were doing perfectly fine suddenly found their game ruined by a new board sacking them. I think this is going to be a similar experience. At the very least there ought to be an no-Brexit option in preferences or, as others have suggested, a way of choosing which Brexit option to go with, with perhaps the actual timing being randomly generated. 

While I like this addition to the game, I certainly agree with your points. Of course, in real life it's also an uncertainty what will happen in Great Britain - but Football Manager is a game. For many people a certain outcome can be a definite game-breaker. Or what if you are hoping for your BPL game to become a challenge because of a hard Brexit but it doesn't happen? You would have played for years to be left disappointed.

Oh, and seeing you again after your FM in Asia thread from yesterday, Andy, given that you live in Cambodia, do you have a lot of knowledge about Cambodian football? It would be amazing to see a Cambodian database! But, of course, I would understand if you don't feel like making the effort because it would take quite some time I guess.

(and did you find a way to buy the game)

1 minute ago, Jason the Yank said:

Mind you, "matter of hours" means it could still be close to dinner time in the UK. :D

Yup.

At 7.21pm (UK time) last night Miles said the process (of getting the Beta started) will take "24 hours or so".

The Nations League is a better comparison with the Brexit scenario: a significant change to competition rules added a few years into the future because SI felt pretty confident it was going to happen.

Although with the Nations League they did at least have an approved format to work with. Can't imagine that it's ever generated too many "it was so much better when it was just international friendlies, the AI's handling of the situation is dreadful and it's completely ruined my experience of club management" posts either...

Not exactly true.  I imagine Miles is saying that no simulation accurately predicts the future.  As in something happens in game, then it happens in real life.  There's no saying what will happen in 2022, if it does happen like that it won't be predicting the future, it'll just be luck.

As for point 2, mostly how I'm thinking.  I can see this being the massive hot button issue this year.

4 minutes ago, enigmatic said:

The Nations League is a better comparison with the Brexit scenario: a significant change to competition rules added a few years into the future because SI felt pretty confident it was going to happen.

Although with the Nations League they did at least have an approved format to work with. Can't imagine that it's ever generated too many "it was so much better when it was just international friendlies, the AI's handling of the situation is dreadful and it's completely ruined my experience of club management" posts either...

There's no way they're comparable.  The Nations League, like you say, had a pretty well-formed format to work with.  There's nothing like that with this.  

1 hour ago, martplfc1 said:

Seems like you're cutting your nose off to spite your face there Tony.

FM has always had scenarios which are miles away from real life, just manage a team in Europe if you hate the idea so much and it happens in your game.

I don't expect it will impact U.K. managers.

Maybe you have a point there, but I usually buy the game every two years anyway and it likes FM17 is evolution and not revolution (rightly so) I am more than likely to be looking at FM18

1 hour ago, Yuedi said:

Oh, and seeing you again after your FM in Asia thread from yesterday, Andy, given that you live in Cambodia, do you have a lot of knowledge about Cambodian football? It would be amazing to see a Cambodian database! But, of course, I would understand if you don't feel like making the effort because it would take quite some time I guess.

Hi mate, no I don't really follow Cambodian football, apart from watching us beat mighty Laos 2-1 on Saturday! The FM2016 database actually has 50 Cambodian teams, including the ten teams in the C-League. Some of them have full, correct squads, fairly rated, so someone's done a decent job there even if half of the 50 teams have a rep of 1.  I've adapted a fantasy 23-level league to include the Cambodian teams in the lower reaches, using the editor to give those 1 rep sides reps of 50-100. Keeps me happy. The FM2017 database will probably be even fuller, so I reckon you could easily create the Metfone C-League in the editor from what the game gives you.

Wow. I am blown away and so excited for this version...

(insert sarcasm smiley) 

Look I love FM and I really like the team behind the game and respect everything they have done in creating such a magnificent experience. But after all the hush hush I was expecting something more than this. To me this looks like little more than a patch. A very expensive patch. 

There are a ton of things that could be improved within the game. The endless tedious uninteresting new stories, the millions of unnecessary clicks needed to just get through the game, the way tactics are created, visualised and communicated to the user. The fundamentals of the game could improved, I think everyone can see that all thats happening is that they are building on previous versions each year without thinking about how they could actually make a better game. 

Honestly the last thing I want is more new stories, more journalists. I don't give a fig about player animations because I have it on 2D classic most of the time to really see my tactics play out. These are all nice to haves, but this version is just one big 'nice to have'. And so since its unnecessary for me to own it.. I'll pass until next year.

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, johnnyyakuza78 said:

(insert sarcasm smiley) 

Look I love FM and I really like the team behind the game and respect everything they have done in creating such a magnificent experience. But after all the hush hush I was expecting something more than this. To me this looks like little more than a patch. A very expensive patch. 

There are a ton of things that could be improved within the game. The endless tedious uninteresting new stories, the millions of unnecessary clicks needed to just get through the game, the way tactics are created, visualised and communicated to the user. The fundamentals of the game could improved, I think everyone can see that all thats happening is that they are building on previous versions each year without thinking about how they could actually make a better game. 

Honestly the last thing I want is more new stories, more journalists. I don't give a fig about player animations because I have it on 2D classic most of the time to really see my tactics play out. These are all nice to haves, but this version is just one big 'nice to have'. And so since its unnecessary for me to own it.. I'll pass until next year.

Feel free to use the 'feature request' forum for any ideas you think the game badly needs as opposed to the things that have gone in this year - https://community.sigames.com/forum/353-football-manager-feature-requests/

Thanks. 

1 minute ago, johnnyyakuza78 said:

Please do use the Suggestions forum about all of these things that could be improved in the game.  SI read and take note of that forum, especially if suggestions are made constructively, as detailed and thought through as possible, and without sarcasm or accusing SI of not thinking about how they could actually make a better game.

Or you could just have a bit of a moan and have a mod tell you to use the Suggestions forum and be constructive.

7 hours ago, CaptainBanana said:

It won't, EA got the exclusive licence. You won't find jleague anywhere but Fifa games.

But i made j1 league for FM 17 already, it's almost ready, just need to add player's history.

Hide contents

Q9hoWRq.png

Excellent stuff, it also frustrates me how limited it is even to put the Japanese team and J-League in though you can't even put histories in can you?

9 minutes ago, johnnyyakuza78 said:

(insert sarcasm smiley) 

this is what makes 'pre-release' annoying for me.  How you can judge something thats not out yet is baffling.  endless new stories are part of football, testing tactics and roles are part of football, plenty of people enjoy 3d, plenty don't - how would you make a better game?

1 minute ago, herne79 said:

Please do use the Suggestions forum about all of these things that could be improved in the game.  SI read and take note of that forum, especially if suggestions are made constructively, as detailed and thought through as possible, and without sarcasm or accusing SI of not thinking about how they could actually make a better game.

Or you could just have a bit of a moan and have a mod tell you to use the Suggestions forum and be constructive.

Thanks, I hadn't really felt the need to even talk about it before this version, so I might do that, although I can't say I am advanced enough at the game to really give amazing suggestions.

However I do think there is an industry wide problem within gaming, so I cannot see any huge changes being made. The temptation for many companies is not to 'start from scratch' and examine the basics of the game, but instead to do touch ups here and there, repackage what they have and resell it. Doing anything else is expensive and prohibitive. I'm the sort of guy who ends up playing the same 5 games over decades, just getting the latest versions.. so I'm hardly helping, but I see the same code and structure over and over in all of those games. I think it wrecks innovation.

13 minutes ago, Anaconda Vice said:

Does anyone actually know that tactics have not been touched upon?

Miles said in the video there was plenty of stuff for us to find out for ourselves. Hopefully a few new instructions or roles maybe.

I suspect anything that major would have been mentioned in great detail.

1 minute ago, Welshace said:

In what sense ?

The talk was that there were issues with the licence (hence Flamengo becoming Flemish in a patch last version), while I've heard since that the game will not be available in Brazil. I'm just wondering if that's affected the Brazilian League being in FM17. 

10 hours ago, CaptainBanana said:

It won't, EA got the exclusive licence. You won't find jleague anywhere but Fifa games.

But i made j1 league for FM 17 already, it's almost ready, just need to add player's history.

Reveal hidden contents

Q9hoWRq.png

Thanks a lot for that!

Archived