Supporting a team because of Football Manager

have you ever fallen in love with a team in real life because of football manager, having managed them in the game? or at least had some sort of sentimental attachment to that team?

I assume this will be a bigger affect for teams not in your own country - Im not suggesting anyone would switch allegiances from their local team for example.

For instance in my most recent starting unemployed career I spent a great deal of time managing Stoke City, and now I support them in the BPL in real life. Similarly with Lincoln City and Sevilla.

In the same save I had a terrible time managing Wigan, so now I kind of resent them in real life.

Had a soft spot for Sunderland since FM13, had an absolutely insane save with them - went three league seasons undefeated, won the CL four times in a row, brilliant fun. I've been wanting to get a Sunderland shirt but as a diehard Spurs supporter, it would just seem weird.

I've got a soft spot for Volendam, Palermo and Ternana as a result of FM saves. When I'm not managing Forest or Roma (the two teams I follow closely in real life), I tend to pick teams with unusual coloured shirts, hence the clubs chosen above.

I've always had a soft spot for Scottish football (don't know why, I'm American and no known Scottish blood in me), and in FM'13 I brought up Bonnyrigg Rose Athletic from the Scottish Junior leagues to the SPL (using a expanded Scottish database that allowed promotion). Played 17 seasons, eventually found one of their jerseys on eBay from a seller in Poland, still wear it proudly on occasion (although it makes me look like "Where's Waldo?") This year, I've put in 18 seasons (and counting) and almost 1,800 hours with Stirling Albion. When I pick a dance partner, I dance with her until the end (which is kind of creepy when you consider that the dance partner is actually a squad of sweaty lads in short pants.)

Emelec of Ecuador, I had a great save with them, leading them to the semi-finals of the Copa Libertadores.

Other teams that I really like because of the FM are the FC Olympique 13, of Gibraltar, and AS Vairao, from Tahiti.

Cirencester and Woking, I think it's impossible not to fall in love with a team once you bring it from a very low british division till CL. I'll probably try again with them this year, after the first traditional save with SS Lazio, the team I love in real life, which helps me tune my tactics when a new edition comes out.

I've always had a soft spot for Scottish football (don't know why, I'm American and no known Scottish blood in me), and in FM'13 I brought up Bonnyrigg Rose Athletic from the Scottish Junior leagues to the SPL (using a expanded Scottish database that allowed promotion). Played 17 seasons, eventually found one of their jerseys on eBay from a seller in Poland, still wear it proudly on occasion (although it makes me look like "Where's Waldo?") This year, I've put in 18 seasons (and counting) and almost 1,800 hours with Stirling Albion. When I pick a dance partner, I dance with her until the end (which is kind of creepy when you consider that the dance partner is actually a squad of sweaty lads in short pants.)

I also became a fan of Stirling Albion because of a save on FM13. Thing is, living in Argentina I can't do much to support them.

Schalke :)

Had a great career game, where I started unemployed, and made them a global force.

I left due to lofty ambitions, and immediately regretted my decision, but as a career game, I had the rule to keep every decision.

Since then Schalke have been my team in the Bundesliga. Have a shirt, watch their games, and have a huge desire to go to a actual game in their stadium.

Also Gateshead from a dafuge challenge back in the day - been to 2 games of theirs now.

I don't exactly have a team yet but since the Mls was added in 2005 I have been a fan, I am looking into finally choosing a team after these 9 years as I am going next Sunday to the states and will be looking into finally choosing a team.

Even though i'm a Liverpool fan, i developed sympathy for Tottenham and Newcastle because of FM, also for Aston Villa, where in one save i won the title while having only english players in my team, had a fantastic 4 upfront composed of Milner-Young-Bent-Agbonlahor, and a strong central midfield pairing with Barry and Huddlestone :) Happy old times.

Bilbao, Espanyol, Red Star Paris, AS Saint Etienne, Red Bull Salzburg, Red Bull Leipzig, Roma are all clubs I have a soft spot for because of FM.

Sassuolo because of Fifa, and Valladolid because of PES too.

There are probably more, but I can't think of them off hand.

I not long started my epic save on FM13 and decided that not only would I start "unemployed", I would follow any club in real life that I joined on FM13 and would buy a home shirt of theirs. I'm coming to the end of my 2nd season, still with my first club which is Lincoln and I'm not only following them in real life, but bought a match issue home shirt from 2010 with COA, number 16 Shane Clarke who liked the photo of the shirt I posted on Instagram. I've since bought Shane Clarke for my team on FM for £22K and posted the screenshot on Instagram again and he commented saying it'd be the worst £22K I ever spent. As much as I'd like to tell him he's doing great for me, he might actually be right! LMAO!

I not long started my epic save on FM13 and decided that not only would I start "unemployed", I would follow any club in real life that I joined on FM13 and would buy a home shirt of theirs. I'm coming to the end of my 2nd season, still with my first club which is Lincoln and I'm not only following them in real life, but bought a match issue home shirt from 2010 with COA, number 16 Shane Clarke who liked the photo of the shirt I posted on Instagram. I've since bought Shane Clarke for my team on FM for £22K and posted the screenshot on Instagram again and he commented saying it'd be the worst £22K I ever spent. As much as I'd like to tell him he's doing great for me, he might actually be right! LMAO!

Thats amazing, I also started with Lincoln in Fm13 - I think in my next game Im going to do a similar thing as you did and buy a shirt and Ill become a member!

A big yes from me, I live in the Weald of Kent with no recognizable local clubs but have always been mad on football, I chose Wolves as a lad playing CM01/02 simply on the basis of the badge and colour and having spent some 30 seasons as manager fell in love and now attend around 10 games a season and am a mad supporter :)

Not sure about supporting these teams, but I follow Queens Park on Twitter because of my FM14 save.

Also Heidenheim of the German 2 Bundesliga, after reading Football Manager Stole My Life and Pristina of the Kosovo Superliga after creating my Kosovo to Level 3 database on FM14.

CM97/98; Having played and won every thing I could with the team I supported at the time (and still support, to an extent), Man United (it was because of Solskjær, Johnsen, Berg and Nevland of course, not because they were world beaters or something stupid like that! :cool:) I decided I needed a challenge, and decided to play with a team from the lowest division. Indecisive as I am I couldn't decide which team to pick and just went for the first team from that division in the alphabetical list of teams to play with.

It was Barnet.

Since then I've taken them to Premier league and beyond on CM4, FM06, FM07, FM08, FM09, FM10 and FM11, I've followed almost every Barnet-match since 2000, first via teletext, and most recent via twitter, radio and streams. I've got two Barnet-shirts hanging on the wall in my living-room, one of them being a limited edition-shirt, of which "only" 2013 exists. These days Barnet is the only team that got my full attention, I keep an eye on Man Udts results, but thats all. Domestic football here in Norway I couldn't give a rat's ass about.

To complete the circle back to CM9798, the first, and so far only, time I went to see Barnet live, in 2012, I got to meet Scott McGleish and Giuliano Grazioli. Who you may ask? They were imo two of the biggest stars in the 3rd div on CM97/98. Scott played for Barnet in 97, and Graz played for my main rivals Petersborough. They always ended up in "Premier Division", on my most recent save McGleish ended up in Man United and Graz in Liverpool. In real life Scott played for Barnet between 1999 and 2001, and Graz played for us between 2003 and 2008 (and were the main reason we got promoted from the Conference in '05. What were the odds for that those two, 15 years after CM9798 would've returned to Barnet, Graz as ass.man and Scott on loan, merely a month before my first visit to the club? :D

In my current Journeyman save, I took Wrexham from wallowing in the Skrill Premier for years up to the Championship. I was then offered the West Ham job and took it, and things didn't work out there. I'm now back in the Championship with Bradford City, but it doesn't feel the same as when I managed my Wrexham side. :( I miss them, and I now check their results every weekend in real life.

A big yes from me, I live in the Weald of Kent with no recognizable local clubs but have always been mad on football, I chose Wolves as a lad playing CM01/02 simply on the basis of the badge and colour and having spent some 30 seasons as manager fell in love and now attend around 10 games a season and am a mad supporter :)

I also live in that area and identified Tonbridge Angels as 'my team'. Took them to Premier League & Champions League glory only to watch them get relegated IRL back to Ryman premier.

Think that means I wont be able to play them in FM15 :(

Helmond Sport from FM12. Started a game with sunday league rep and they were the only ones who would take me on. 6 seasons later, having taken them to the Eredivise title, I was a club legend and developed a love for the club and turned down many other jobs offers.

Also from last season, I played on an edited Malta save and enjoyed a long spell with Senglea Athletic.

That's the power of FM, creating adoration for clubs and players that in reality you don't have any connection to.

Thats amazing, I also started with Lincoln in Fm13 - I think in my next game Im going to do a similar thing as you did and buy a shirt and Ill become a member!

That's something that could get very interesting and entertaining to read about. It could be worth it for a good laugh to join a club on FM and follow as many of the players as you can find in real life on Twitter/Instagram :p . My Lincoln match issue shirt from the 2010-11 League 2 season is even better now as I've just won promotion back to League 2 by winning the Conference on the final day after being some 11/12 pts off the leaders down in 10th with 15 games left. I can't wait to tell the now Tamworth player Shane Clarke he'll be playing in the Football League again.... on my FM save! haha (I think I will politely forget that he might only get to play for the reserves though! LOL)

Being from Germany and having started playing CM at a time when the Premier League was by no means the place to be and not on TV at all, I developed a soft spot for all teams which I played regularly on CM, even though irl they'd be an odd match I'd guess...

That is... Newcastle, Wolves and WBA.

Stemming from even earlier, that is Football Manager 2 (on the Commodore 64) I like Darlington which I took over just for the name. :)

Not support as such but look out for their results and watch a game if it doesn't conflict with Cardiff.

Those sides are, Borussia Monchengladbach, Hearts, Southampton and Athletic Bilbao. I've had some incredibly enjoyable saves with those sides which went on for a few years so I always look out for them.

Definitely Atletico Madrid has swerved my bias in Spanish football after moving to them in my FM12 save after a year with Sunderland. Stayed for 16 seasons IIRC and won the league like 8 times and won the Champions League twice. Since then, I've always rooted for them.

I follow Blyth Spartans on Facebook to see how they are in real life. I led them to premier league title and had some players who are still playing there up untill League Two. Funny to see how they look IRL :D

I'd like the team before this but playing CM/FM cemented my love for the Brazilian team Internacional. Since then I ran a popular English blog about the club, featured several times in the official club magazine, their local press, help re-write English sections of their website and got given a signed shirt by the entire squad. I also briefly wrote a blog on day a week from my perspective on a famous Brazilian website called Globo.

I'm actually yet to visit there but know quite a lot about the culture of the region of Brazil where Internacional are from and visiting is most definitely on my bucket list.

Paris FC of the Championnat National might be a club that I have decided to support after playing the game. I always do a save with them every year and go pretty far. Plus I love how they are the anti-PSG and hope they get promoted to the top someday.

I also live in that area and identified Tonbridge Angels as 'my team'. Took them to Premier League & Champions League glory only to watch them get relegated IRL back to Ryman premier.

Think that means I wont be able to play them in FM15 :(

Quite the opposite I think a dafuge challenge will be in order for you, have played as Angels (and Hastings) using this challenge and method, just go on hols for a year and save up the day before the new clubs get promoted into the Skrill South and reload until the mighty Angels appear!!

Archived