FM18 - Who will you manage?

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I usually kick off with a fairly large team just to get to grips with the game and how it works, then test myself with a smaller club or one of the challenges on here.

My Spanish club, Real Betis. Had a good save with them a few years back, and Barca, Real, Atletico, Valencia, Sevilla, and Bilbao are a tough group to overcome if you want to play in Europe. Might also give my other two clubs, Lyon and Liverpool, a try, or find a decent Championship side and build them into an EPL contender.

Can't go for Alty this year until the lower league databases appear seeing as they have dropped out of the Conference North so may just go random in the Beta and take it from there. Mind you I do fancy trying out either the Dutch or Portuguese leagues this time round. 

On 7/10/2017 at 22:57, TheWednesday said:

Probably start a non league journeyman to kick things off, might go with Leyton Orient again. Once all the downloadable content is released probably end up in some obscure country..enjoyed Andorra this year!

Still you can add every league you want through editor...

Celtic - Try and keep the likes of Tierney, Ajer, Ntcham, Roberts and Dembele at the club for as long as possible.  Work towards 10 in a row whilst becoming regulars in Europe after xmas.  Long term, win a European trophy and improve the league/standard of Scottish players overall.  Also want to try and manage one nation from each confederation and compete in every international tournament.  Oh and try and replicate Rodgers unbeatable treble. 

Torino or Sassuolo - Sassuolo have been my go to Italian team for ages but really tempted to give Torino a try this year.  With Inter and AC having cash to splash now it should be pretty fun/competitive.  Will try and limit my squad to Italian/Argentine players outside of players currently at the club.

Koln - Despite their awful form irl they should have a pretty fun squad in FM.  Timo Horn in goals, Heintz and Sorensen at CB with two really promising youngsters as back up (Jorge Mere and Joao Queiros).  Two quality left backs in Jonas Hector and Jannes Horn.  Then the likes of Bittencourt and Jhon Cordoba in attack.

Real Betis - Bit of a rebuilding job to get them ready to compete for CL places.  Doubt I'll keep many of the original players outside of Camarasa and Sanabria so will probably take a few seasons to build a squad that can compete.

RC Lens - First get them promoted then spend years trying to build an all French squad that can compete with PSG.  :D

World journeyman savegame for sure, but I might start one with my Arsenal just to get a grip of the new parts of the game first...

Also would love to do a long term with my local Norwegian team this time around, but I think for the first time in ages they are not playable, so would have to see them get promoted first.

On 10/24/2017 at 18:41, Robioto said:

I've got a few in mind. In recent versions I've just gone with a big Premier League club so I'm going to stay in England (as I always do), but go lower league:

Coventry City - Always like the idea of a big club in the lower leagues. Tempting, but do they actually have any money?

Leeds United - Another fallen giant who have a good squad this season and could be fun forging a way back to the Premier League.

Exeter City - My local team, I literally live 5 minutes from the stadium and watch them about once every 2 months, but in 20 years playing CM/FM I've never had a long term save with them. They've got a decent sqaud this year, could be fun.

Being a big Leeds fan I agree could be fun this year especially with some of the players at our disposal. 

Saiz, Allisoki, Hernandez must all have some very good technical attributes, above the majority in the league I would have thought.

Personally hope that they have increased our attendances significantly, with every game this year being a sell-out to have 23/24k at a game is just not realistic any longer. 

14 hours ago, TheEarl said:

World journeyman savegame for sure, but I might start one with my Arsenal just to get a grip of the new parts of the game first...

Also would love to do a long term with my local Norwegian team this time around, but I think for the first time in ages they are not playable, so would have to see them get promoted first.

Same here bro! I'm all about journeyman saves in countries that aren't England, Italy, France, Spain or Germany. Hell I don't like starting in countries where there's more than 1 or 2 professional clubs, gimme semi-pro & amateur clubs any day!

4 minutes ago, bigmattb28 said:

Same here bro! I'm all about journeyman saves in countries that aren't England, Italy, France, Spain or Germany. Hell I don't like starting in countries where there's more than 1 or 2 professional clubs, gimme semi-pro & amateur clubs any day!

Same for Me :D its always the same starting in the premier league or whatever, i want something new :) 

Arsenal - Favourite team so it's only natural

Leeds/Sheffield United - Either of these two teams will be pretty interesting to see if you can get them back in the big time

West Ham - See if you an establish them as a top 10 team and possibly win a trophy

Schalke - Had some class saves on previous FM's my go to save if I want a foreign adventure 

I tend to run 4/5 Saves for the duration of an FM, usually vastly varying Leagues and countries to keep the interest high.

Something else I do is create manager persona's, for some reason I don't like have my own name and the like in game as I think it's somewhat unrealistic, what I do like is to try and create managers in the mould of the greats.. Sounds daft and a bit roleplay-ish but I prefer this "fantasy" approach.

So far I've got a collection of names as follows..

- Parma: I mean whats not to like here, a club very prominent in my childhood thanks to Channel 4. Much like my club Rangers, a checkered past leads to a chance to rebuild.

- Club Guadalajara: Almost the Mexican Bilbao, very interesting challenge.

- Ajax - Still a hub of talent, it's too fun not try and develop a conveyer of talent while recreate the European Trophy winning side featuring the likes of Seedorf and the amazing Patrick Kluivert.

I've got a few ideas in the pipeline this year, as most of us do just before release :D

My first game is going to be Preston North End. They've got some good young players, and have decent potential as a club so I think it will be a good one to get used to the new features etc.

My 'career' game will be Oxford City. I tried one with Gainsborough Trinity last season which I really enjoyed before my file corrupted, so I'm venturing south this year.

I don't tend to be the teams I follow but Betis look a really exciting prospect on FM this year too.

Other options - I might venture further afield this year and try a save in Mexico or South America as I've never done a save over there before. 

Will start off with one of the bigger teams to get used to the new features etc. First proper save will be with Aberdeen, try and keep that going for as long as possible then likely move onto a Liverpool save at some point.

Also quite like doing smaller Spanish team saves along with a young championship team.

For me, Cardiff City used to be a default but after FM17 and starting a DaFuge challenge, I'm going to go lower leagues again.

Quite like the idea of Newport County this year. Owned by the fans, no money, ground owned by the Welsh Rugby Union and in the shadows of Cardiff, Swansea and Bristol City. They have few decent players in the squad in Joe Day for example that might bring in some cash to help push on.

It'll be a massive project as they really need their own stadium to help push on but that's unlikely to happen for years....

Thinking of approaching things a bit differently than I normally do, and starting out a save as a real-life manager - such as Pochettino at Spurs. Take down his stats, remove him from game and go from there - obviously the game wouldn't recognise me as THE Pochettino but I like realism in my games so I can imagine it's the real him!

Shrewsbury is a possibility, or starting unemployed and taking on first job offered in League One/Two

A PL club for the beta to get a feel for the game.

Then off to League 2 or maybe lower.

Might do a save in Denmark tier 2 or 3 as well.

My best saves in the last 10 FM's: Hereford (dafuge), Djurgården, Banik Ostrava, Poli Timisoara), Zaglebie Lublin, so I am not married to certain countries.

I've not long moved to Shrewsbury so might give them a go at some point. 

But I'll do the usual routine. Liverpool first to get to grips, sacked after 1st season probably. Then I'll do a Cheltenham save and flirt with premier league promotion. 

Then I'll do Shamrock Rovers, and get them to dominate Ireland while struggling to make the CL group stages for about 10 years, but it'll all be worth the struggle the first time we do it when the money comes rolling in 

Going to start the BETA with a save at Hartlepool which may turn into either a one club save or if I get bored a journeyman save.

Also at some point want to do a save with a Norwegian side called Mjolner who have just been promoted to the 3rd division but not sure whether that will be included in the new game - anyone know?

On 24/10/2017 at 18:41, Robioto said:

I've got a few in mind. In recent versions I've just gone with a big Premier League club so I'm going to stay in England (as I always do), but go lower league:

Coventry City - Always like the idea of a big club in the lower leagues. Tempting, but do they actually have any money?

Leeds United - Another fallen giant who have a good squad this season and could be fun forging a way back to the Premier League.

Exeter City - My local team, I literally live 5 minutes from the stadium and watch them about once every 2 months, but in 20 years playing CM/FM I've never had a long term save with them. They've got a decent sqaud this year, could be fun.

Edging towards Leeds United now... Fancy a team with some ability rather than a League 2 team.

Who do people think would be most fun to play in League 1 out of Blackburn, Bradford, Wigan, Portsmouth, Charlton, Blackpool and Wimbledon? As in a big club with good players and decent faclilities, Blackburn could be fun?

I always do bit of a journeyman save.. 
But always start at Shahkter Soligorsk in Belarus, add 10-15 nations across Europe and see where my journey takes me.  
Had some awesome little adventures with Soligorsk, Europa League winners and knocking Juventus out in the CL in the quarters. 

I can't help  but start with Villa. Given the squad, promotion will be easy and rather boring just like in 17. However, looking forward to the challenge of rebuilding the squad and integrating some of the promising academy products once back in the Prem. 

Once I get tired of a Villa save or two I'll go back to the reliable lower league clubs.  I've done a Crewe Alexandra save for the last 6 or 7 years and is always one of my favorite ones. 

This year I did AlbinoLeffe for the first time and it was really challenging. Finances are non-existent and you have to win the Serie C for promotion or finish in the top 10 and enter a 30 team playoff which is super exciting! (took me a few seasons to get out of there) Also a pretty great academy and big stadium which you can start to fill out after some time in Serie B.

I always try out a MLS save as well, usually the local Red Bulls even though the salary cap restrictions and all the rules are nearly incomprehensible (by no fault of SI).

I always throw in a random save or two, either an obscure Scandinavian side or Eastern Europe.

Never tried much in South America, although I do remember a Universidad Catolica save i did maybe 10 years ago.

Probably gonna check out 1860 Munich as well.

Also, if anyone has any recommendations for lower league clubs with decent academies in countries with several levels that would be much appreciated.

Happy Beta-ing!

I'm tempted to be my club, Bury since Lee Clark is doing such a terrible job IRL and we have so many new signings. Having said that, I'm awful at the money side of things in the lower leagues, so I'll probably have the choice narrowed down to jobs that are available IRL and then just press the random button. Took me to Sparta Prague in this years save.

1 hour ago, warpedpolecat said:

Would somebody pick a team for me? first one suggested will be my 1st save. I've got too many ideas for a save, which basically killed fm17 for me lol. Anywhere across Europe will do.

Sparta Prague. Champions League opponents with a Championship budget. Good luck! 

On 27/10/2017 at 01:41, QWERTYOP said:

Sparta Prague. Champions League opponents with a Championship budget. Good luck! 

Cheers man, I missed this and have since started at Hertha, will deffo keep Sparta in mind when this goes pear shaped!

Archived