Should Suarez be banned from football?

jmr

Should he be banned from football?  

171 members have voted

1. 1. Should he be banned from football?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I doubt many on here are expecting anything other than an international ban

Possibly, it was the more than vocal minority yesterday who were insisting on lifetime global bans. Most sensible people either didn't insist on stupid bans or kept out of it.

Uruguayan hero has been so indulged by his apologists that he is starting to believe that there is a conspiracy against him

Pretty spot on article from Daniel Taylor.

I already know the absolute most he'll get is a years ban from international football meaning he'll be back for the Copa America. I'm just enjoying the Liverpool and Uruguay fans embarrassing themselves at this point.

You're doing a great job of embarrassing yourself as well tbh.

Oh my. :D

Then he hung up and explained what had happened. Suárez was 16, not 15. Nacional were playing Danubio, another local team, and it was absolutely not a head-butt. He was simply protesting about a referee's mistake, and who doesn't do that? Sure, his head hit the referee's face, but not on purpose. "He fell," Chenlo said, "accidentally into the referee."

I do expect around 6 months club and international ban. We will find out today.

I wouldnt expect a club ban. He wasnt banned for international games when he did it for Ajax or Liverpool, so i really cant see FIFA imposing a world wide ban for something that happened in an international game, not something like this anyway.

What I think will happen, pathetic 6 month International Ban at most. What should happen, minimum 6 month World Ban.

Hopefully all his sponsors though, Addidas in particular bomb him off.

His sponsors ditching him could arguably have a far bigger effect on him then getting banned. Never ever going to happen as as if one of his sponsors ditch him someone else will come to replace them who is more concerned about the money they can make then any potential damage to their brand.

Just read this. Embarrassing.

Valdez said Uruguay officials were sent a video of the incident by FIFA, and would respond with footage showing Suarez - a striker for Liverpool and last season's player of the year in England's Premier League - as a victim of Italian aggression.

''When he falls, several substitutes insult him on the ground and some members of Italy's staff even came out of the bench to try to hit him,'' Valdez said, suggesting FIFA could investigate Italy.

Uruguay also will cite Brazil star Neymar getting only a yellow card in a clash with a Croatia player, Valdez said.

Uruguay federation board member Alejandro Balbi, who is Suarez's lawyer, blamed European media reporting.

''This happened because there have been campaigns launched by the media in England and Italy,'' Balbi told Uruguayan radio Sport 890.

Suarez's teammate Diego Lugano agreed.

''The British media has a vendetta against Suarez, and everyone knows that,'' he said. ''It's obvious the vendetta sells newspapers in England, otherwise you wouldn't be here. Uruguay and Italy played yesterday. On Saturday Uruguay plays Colombia, I don't know why there's a British journalist asking about Suarez.''

Lugano said he had seen ''much more violent plays'' than the bite at the World Cup.

''It was a normal taunt in football, and the world press ends up talking about something totally trivial,'' he said.

I think the Uruguayan's response is one of those great case studies on how the media can brainwash the larger public. The common Uruguayan man on the street will have a completely distorted view of these incidents. It p*sses me off to no end. It's so daft it reminds me of North Korean state propaganda.

By the way found this vid on the comments on that Guardian article - so dear mr. Luis not only bites and dives, but also has a great ability to assault people in 50/50 challenges and get away with it. I'm pretty surprised I haven't seen any of these incidents before: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eF4kSWnY2Z8

Fantastically talented player, but surely there'll come a point where these bans accumulate and it's simply not acceptable to have him on the pitch anymore. "Banning him from football" sounds ridiculously over the top, but you really wouldn't fancy ever having to play against this clown for your own safety.

We used to have a thread pretty much dedicated to gifs of Suarez leaving his foot in during challenges :D

Nah, Luis Suarez?

He's never done that in his life, he is the ultimate professional who wouldn't ever do anything bad.

seems surprisingly reasonable tbh, bit of a shame that 1-2 of those months will be when he wouldnt do much anyway, though i assume "Footballing Activity" includes training with his team and stuff, so that means he wouldnt be up to speed till december or something

Does the nine games and four month ban blend into each other? Don't know if that makes sense, but just banning him for four months would have covered his nine games, so why say 'nine games and four months from all football activity'.

Does the nine games and four month ban blend into each other? Don't know if that makes sense, but just banning him for four months would have covered his nine games, so why say 'nine games and four months from all football activity'.

9 internationals, which presumably they wouldn't play before 4 months is up?

I read it as 9 games banned for Uruguay and 4 months from anything at all?

Pretty shocked they banned him from domestic football, really didn't think they'd do that.

Archived