Should Suarez be banned from football?

jmr

Should he be banned from football?  

171 members have voted

1. 1. Should he be banned from football?

Uruguay are the one's who've suffered the most with this, and they're only going to compound it by making stupid statements and frivolous appeals. They miss their best player for the rest of the WC and whatever qualifying games they have to play next.

Uruguay have deserved to be punished because of the reasons you put after. If they do appeal they should have the international ban extended tbh.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've no sympathy with Uruguay at all, their behaviour since the incident is baffling, how on Earth can they keep going down the road of "it never happened", is Suarez related to Shaggy?

I've no sympathy with Uruguay at all, their behaviour since the incident is baffling, how on Earth can they keep going down the road of "it never happened", is Suarez related to Shaggy?

This is genius, WP IMT.

[video=youtube;2g5Hz17C4is]

I like how he cannot use any FIFA facilities or hotels, wtf. I wonder if he can use his Visa card

It's like prison, put him in the shu

He should be banned but I liked FIFA's statement about this having no place in football as though protecting football is their prime concern as players dive, cheat and get each other in trouble all year round

It's great, isn't it.

They have to ask themselves what is more likely, that Suarez is a bit of a loon and has done something stupid again or there is in fact a global conspiracy out to get him

I like how he cannot use any FIFA facilities or hotels, wtf. I wonder if he can use his Visa card

It's like prison, put him in the shu

He should be banned but I liked FIFA's statement about this having no place in football as though protecting football is their prime concern as players dive, cheat and get each other in trouble all year round

Diving/cheating etc is quite abit different to biting though which has obvious health implications

The thing annoying me about this fiasco is the Liverpool fans piping up with "Liverpool FC are being punished because Suarez is under contract with us".

Ehh, no. Liverpool haven't been punished at all. Your player has. And that's his fault. And yours for signing him.

I can't stick this victim attitude the Liverpool fans have produced.

That's right. I believe EVERY Liverpool fan has expressed their outrage at Suarez' ban, and EVERY Liverpool fan has claimed that once again the world is against them and they have been badly treated. Generalisations are a lazy argumentative tool, at least you could attempt to show some common sense by adding the word "some" in there ffs.

Absolutely and kids joining hands holding a flag saying 'respect' on it before everyone flings themselves to the ground for 90 mins :D

Interesting hearing people like Viera and Henry on the BBC basically saying diving and conning the ref is just part of the game now. Sad but true.

People say footballers are soft when they go down like they were shot after a hand touches their face. They arent soft, they know full well giving that reaction means the ref will probably send the guy off

It was him, I don't think anyone denies that. Surprised nobody has come out with the "he didn't mean to bite him" line yet. Maybe when they start really scraping the barrel?

Interesting hearing people like Viera and Henry on the BBC basically saying diving and conning the ref is just part of the game now. Sad but true.

People say footballers are soft when they go down like they were shot after a hand touches their face. They arent soft, they know full well giving that reaction means the ref will probably send the guy off

A woman at my work said next time he could get punched or worse for biting the wrong person. I replied that the other person would be too busy rolling around on the floor to react like that.

Heard Collymore on the radio earlier who said that Suarez was mentally ill and shouldn't be hounded, but should be punished. That he can't control himself. It's up to himself and his club to manage it.

Just the same way that Howard manages his tourrettes.

I have to feel that this isn't something he can be allowed to manage, as it puts others at risk.

That's right. I believe EVERY Liverpool fan has expressed their outrage at Suarez' ban, and EVERY Liverpool fan has claimed that once again the world is against them and they have been badly treated. Generalisations are a lazy argumentative tool, at least you could attempt to show some common sense by adding the word "some" in there ffs.

I didn't say every Liverpool fan. The 'some' was implied within the post. You know, if you used your head you'd realise that.

But nice job on jumping the gun.

Heard Collymore on the radio earlier who said that Suarez was mentally ill and shouldn't be hounded, but should be punished. That he can't control himself. It's up to himself and his club to manage it.

Just the same way that Howard manages his tourrettes.

I have to feel that this isn't something he can be allowed to manage, as it puts others at risk.

Tourette's doesn't cause you to try to hurt other people.

Tourette's doesn't cause you to try to hurt other people.

No of course not, but it is a mental illness that has to be managed in his sporting life.

I also said he shouldn't be allowed to play with said illness.

I didn't say every Liverpool fan. The 'some' was implied within the post. You know, if you used your head you'd realise that.

But nice job on jumping the gun.

You said "Liverpool fans" which implies you meant all fans. I used my head and didn't see any implication of the word "some" anywhere in your post.

I would also question your argument that "Liverpool haven't been punished at all" because its completely wrong. Liverpool have been punished because our fans can't go to watch a genius footballer play for their team. The club can't sell him for his real value as he has a tarnished reputation, and they aren't likely to win as many games without him as they would with him. This is all because of Luis himself though, and it is entirely his fault that FIFA have been forced into a punishment of this severity, but in amongst the fallout of it all it is absolutely clear that all parties involved have been punished and will suffer the consequences of Luis' punishment.

I feel for Liverpool fans who just want to se their best player play, but now can't because of the ban. I don't feel the same sympathy for the club or Suarez though.

No reason to feel sympathy for the club either, it's a multi million pound organisation that will now have to make a tough decision regarding the actions of their star player.

It isn't as if they won't have a plan on how to deal with this. They'll have a plan of who to replace Suarez with (working on an assumption he may have wanted to leave anyway) if needed and also have a plan in place for if he stays.

Tourette's and penalties :D

Lol vendetta? Blame the idiot who got himself banned instead of making excuses

Plenty of Liverpool fans blaming Suarez completely for this, and rightly so. He has let the club down badly, and the talk of unfair punishment is nonsense. FIFA want to hammer home the message to Luis that if he doesn't clean his act up he could lose the right to play the game he loves, and its clear this ban is a taste of what could happen next time he does it. There simply wasn't any way that FIFA could punish Luis sufficently without causing any colateral damage to Liverpool because if they only issued an international ban he would still be free to play football every day. They were correct to take away the opportunity to do what he loves doing (not biting, playing football!) and hopefully it will be enough to get his head sorted.

FIFA also have to take into account the safety of fellow professionals too - they have a duty of care to all players and a serial offender like Suarez probably needs to be removed from the game for a while as punishment. If they allowed Luis to carry on playing and he bit another professional then I am sure they could be seen to have neglected that duty of care because of his history.

Yeah they could, Alexis Sanchez for starters. No player should be bigger than the club, they should get rid now because the next ban (and there will be one) is going to be very very long.

Think Liverpools problem wouldn't be to replace Suarez of similar ilk i.e world class, but to replace the sheer amount of goals he scores and the space he opens up for other players. Could replace him with Sanchez who is class but he isn't going to score 30+ and Strurridge/Lambert/Aspas etc are not going to fill the void in goals especially if they continued shipping a load in.

Just read a headline "Liverpool considering legal action" and thought to myself they will finally act like a proper club should and sue him or something, much like Chelsea sued Mutu, but no, they are actually considering legal action against FIFA :applause:

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/sport/football/international/article4131509.ece

Think Liverpools problem wouldn't be to replace Suarez of similar ilk i.e world class, but to replace the sheer amount of goals he scores and the space he opens up for other players. Could replace him with Sanchez who is class but he isn't going to score 30+ and Strurridge/Lambert/Aspas etc are not going to fill the void in goals especially if they continued shipping a load in.

Not just Suarez we'll need to replace, we're also needing to replace Gerrard very soon as well. With Ayre in charge of transfers it's going to be a rough couple of years again.

Just read a headline "Liverpool considering legal action" and thought to myself they will finally act like a proper club should and sue him or something, much like Chelsea sued Mutu, but no, they are actually considering legal action against FIFA :applause:

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/sport/football/international/article4131509.ece

It was to be expected, I'd have thought they'd appeal instead, but they might go down a different track. It's called "protecting your interests" as at the end of the day, (as the article says) it was an incident that didn't involve them. He was at a tournament scheduled by FIFA that Liverpool had to release him for, so why should they suffer for it?

Personally I'm hoping Liverpool are doing it just to ensure that Suarez is able to be sold on. He's finished in England.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BrFiiwdIgAAYBfO.jpg:large

This is the article without a paywall as it'll appear on the actual paper tomorrow btw.

It was to be expected, I'd have thought they'd appeal instead, but they might go down a different track. It's called "protecting your interests" as at the end of the day, (as the article says) it was an incident that didn't involve them. He was at a tournament scheduled by FIFA that Liverpool had to release him for, so why should they suffer for it?

Personally I'm hoping Liverpool are doing it just to ensure that Suarez is able to be sold on. He's finished in England.

He already can be sold. They will end up tying themselves in knots for little. If he finished, work on the best possible deal than pointless litigation.

Archived