Those stupid things we do.

I was just playing a game, and my team is playing badly, and it is 0-0 at half time. I try to substitute my right back, who is having a bad game. Thinking I have done this, I confirm and start the second half...... At which point I realise that my substitute RB is in goal. I had made a mistake and did not notice. I do not put a reserve GK on the bench, so I think to myself 'Well that is this game lost'

Turns out I was wrong. We somehow have a great game and win 2-0. Thankfully the opposition have no shots on goal in the second half. I think I may have just used up a season's worth of good luck. It has made me chuckle anyway!

Share other stories where your own stupidity almost cost you, but in the end everything went better than expected.:D

Forgetting to register John Ruddy (GK) for the group stages of the Champions League...

Fortunately, my U21 regen keeper is pretty decent, so I still qualified - and I guess the bonus is that he got 6 extra first team games to develop a bit better.

Putting my CB in goal :thup: Not sure what was worse, the fact that I did it, or that I didn't notice until we were 0-2 down.

Done that more than once. Unfortunately, I can't recall a single time where it actually worked out well for me :rolleyes:

I think I have mentioned in one of my threads here before, that's overlooked to renew Luis Suarez's contract in my Liverpool save and let it run till less than 6 months. Eventually he walked out from me a free man to join PSG! Damn... that has to be the most stupidest thing ever happened in my FM career :o

Wasting all your available cash on a has-been 'big name' whilst managing a lower league club is a trap I've fallen into countless times. Rarely, if ever works. I still do it though...

No idea why that's the case.

I remember buying Yohan Cabaye when he was around 32. Got him for cheap as Newcastle got relegated.

Averaged a rating of 6.70 all season. Vary rarely put in a good performance.

Telling a striker I'm resting him for the foreseeable future due to his form being pants, then me forgetting and selecting him next game, yep that's right he turned in another inept 6.2 performance but thankfully I subbed him at half time and we won :)

If I'm concentrating on the league and I have promising youngsters, I tend to play them in the cups. So I sub all 11 starters out and replace them with promising youngsters. For the next league game, I bring back all the starters. I've lost count how many times I leave the young GK in the starting line-up by accident :(

For some reason that's the only position I forget to check!

If I'm concentrating on the league and I have promising youngsters, I tend to play them in the cups. So I sub all 11 starters out and replace them with promising youngsters. For the next league game, I bring back all the starters. I've lost count how many times I leave the young GK in the starting line-up by accident :(

You are not the only one! I must forget at least 3 times in a season until I get to the line ups page and start swearing at myself.

You are not the only one! I must forget at least 3 times in a season until I get to the line ups page and start swearing at myself.

That's usually where I notice it too but then, of course, it's too late to change it!

I had a run of Sunday-Wednesday-Saturday-Tuesday-etc. etc. etc. games and was having to heavily rotate my squad. My 'keeper had to leave for a youth international right before a game against my biggest rivals for the title so I tried to replace him with my backup but accidentally put my 16-year-old, never-played-a-game, 3-silver-stars-CA striker in goal, with no sub keeper on the bench. Clean sheet, 2-0 win. :cool: Had a little break then and everyone was available for the next game but I don't like to change a winning team if it all possible, so I seriously toyed with leaving the lad in. I didn't but I often wonder how he would have done.

That's usually where I notice it too but then, of course, it's too late to change it!

I did it once before a cup final. Had to make a first minute substitution just to get my first choice keeper back in goal. Even ended up feeling sorry for my young keeper that I replaced...

Also once overlooked the fact that several of my coaches at AC Milan were up for contract renewals - ended up losing many of them and not being able to replace with any that were as good!

I've never played the wrong player in a match - I always spend a minute or two on the squad selection screen, and even leave the confirmation dialog active as it gives me another second or two to consider my selection. I'm too afraid I will make a mistake like the ones listed above.

The "mistakes" I've made are usually just letting a staff member handle something. I currently have two very high potential youth players who a have a transfer arranged - in a year and a half! - because I didn't set the responsibilities correctly. Both players are 4.5* PA and I would be playing the hell out of them, but since I won't be getting full value for them, and they're not likely to progress to full potential in that time, they're just languishing on my youth team.

I also bought a player for a few million in the middle of a season (in Brazil, so this was June or July) who had previously played several games for his club (league and cup). When I tried to play him in my next match, I saw the Ineligible icon. I clicked on it, and it said something like, "This player has already played in more than 7 games for another team in this league." I'd bought and sold many players in the middle of seasons before and never saw this message, so I didn't know what was up. Anyway, there's always the cup! Nope, as he was, of course, cup tied. He spent six or seven months playing in my reserves and didn't complain, but when January rolled around, he suddenly demanded to be starting games or he'd want a transfer. I'm not sure if this was a mistake on my part, as I don't know how you check for eligibility before a transfer, but it still sucked.

This thread is awesome. Keep it going!

I used to manage Tuen Mun in the Hong Kong Division I. In the 3rd year of my management, I signed a Chinese centre-back on a 2-year contract. He went on to put in a series of excellent performances, scoring important goals against big teams and generally defended very well. However, I tried to renew his contract too late in the end and he got snapped up by another team on a free transfer...

I have never repeated that mistake since then. ALWAYS RENEW YOUR BEST PLAYERS CONTRACTS EARLY!

I used to do that also.

Then i started to do certain routine before each match.

I have set up a team selection guideline, so before each match i first let my assistant select the starting lineup. Then i do my own changes and usually end up with the starting line up i want to have. Sometimes i can even start the match without any changes, that's rare though ;)

The stupid thing i do most often is related to staff. I have a staff member i am thinking about replacing. The "contracts are about to expire in x months" message comes in, i accidently renew contract for the not needed guy also.

Ignoring the warnings that half of my staff have contracts expiring because I'm so engrossed in my hunt for Premier and Champions League success. Don't notice until I go to assign my scouts the following season. Easy enough to go get new one's when you're Man Unt, but slightly irritating all the same. Same can apply for a player (Januzaj in this case), and only noticing when another club offers a contract.

I think we've all forgotten to put our first choice GK (or even entire team) back in the team after an early round cup game.

Loaning out the wrong players because you have 2 with the similar surnames? Was really happy to get my 40k a week 3rd choice GK off of my wage bill......until I hadn't :(

"I need a RB in the next transfer window"

*transfer window opens

"Oooh shiny attacking midfielder who's probably not better than the ones I already have."

Don't need to explain what happens next.

Yes, this. You can never have too make AMCs with 15+ attribute rankings in all the right places. You can always pick up a transfer listed Italian right back that'll do the job just fine. :D

I always do the exact same thing!!

G

Exactly this. Maybe on the FM15 Wishlist we should ask for the GK to be highlighted in the brightest and boldest text, maybe with fireworks going off around it.

Allowing my slightly match unfit players to play in U18/U21 games only for me to forget that the First Team is playing the same day and then not having enough players for the squad.

Same here. I'm now more careful and check which games I have coming up, so I have the players available I want/need.

I always clear my entire team selection before every game to avoid this scenario.

I am a serial rage-subber. The amount of times I have subbed someone in the first 25 minutes because the team is playing poorly or has conceded a couple of early goals, only to have it come back and bite me when we get injuries later on, is crazy. But I never learn.

Still trying to play FM14 like the old CM games and getting caught out with simple tactical mistakes.

Sub three players at once and then somebody gets sent off or red carded.

Not reading all the information on screen properly and rushing through the game.

In a previous version of the game I was beating Chelsea with Rangers in the Champions League Semi. My GK got sent off and I had used all my subs so I put Fernando Ricksen in goals, all was going well and in the last minute we were going through on away goals then we won a corner....I had forgotten Fernando was taking them and they broke and scored into an empty net :D

It was a fair few years ago, but I remember for either a beta or demo or something (I'm pretty sure it wasn't the crappy competition), there was a bug that meant ALL players, including the GK were eligible for the set piece selection if you hadn't assigned it (the one that mostly seems to pick the right people anyway). So you could accidentally have a GK taking throw-ins, corners and all sorts!

On an earlier version, accepting a job offer from a club that was already mathematically relegated from the lowest playable division. Sacked after three games.

Done that myself,embarrassing isn't it!

I've just done a stupid thing...painfully sacked by Swansea and me being stubborn I wasn't prepared to drop down to some of the leagues I was offered..league1 and league 2 etc can wait till I want a new challenge. After two years of mind numbing continue continue continue, job interview, failed to get job over and over and it turns out I'm not so good with the new interview feature.

Every bloody interview I was doing over the course of two years I wasn't going to the very end where you choose exit... I was effectively walking out mid interview each time turning my back on the chairman and saying F it I don't want your job!!! Doh!!!

There's two years I won't see again!

I'm forest in the championship now aiming to get them in the prem after two years out!

The game was Hearts-St. Mirren, the 37th round of the SPL. My goalkeeper was injured and I only had one keeper since Alan Combe was dismissed months earlier. The game was hard and I won 2-1 with a goal at 83 '. At 85, however, my goalkeeper was injured and I did not have a reservation. Result, put my defender in goal, which ended up taking a goal from a corner kick after 88.

Done that myself,embarrassing isn't it!

I've just done a stupid thing...painfully sacked by Swansea and me being stubborn I wasn't prepared to drop down to some of the leagues I was offered..league1 and league 2 etc can wait till I want a new challenge. After two years of mind numbing continue continue continue, job interview, failed to get job over and over and it turns out I'm not so good with the new interview feature.

Every bloody interview I was doing over the course of two years I wasn't going to the very end where you choose exit... I was effectively walking out mid interview each time turning my back on the chairman and saying F it I don't want your job!!! Doh!!!

There's two years I won't see again!

I'm forest in the championship now aiming to get them in the prem after two years out!

That's one of the best things I've ever read on here - well done sir :applause:

Although it's nothing too stupid, I occasionally give the wrong speech in a team-talk/individual talk and it's annoying.

My RB recently got a red card and I wanted to tell him that it was unacceptable. I ended up telling him he had a great game. Even more annoying was the fact he reacted well to it.

Archived