QF build up topic, other 3 matches

GunmaN1905

Who wins?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. 1

2. 2. 2

3. 3. 3

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/12/22 at 13:30

Since there's a topic for England already, we need one to talk about other QFs.

On paper, two matches have heavy favorites.

Croatia and Morocco obviously have quality, but are both slow and toothless upfront, while Brazil and Portugal have ridiculously stacked squads and are getting better with each match.

Brazil's only concern are injuries and pressure. Croatia met the expectations and everything past QF is a bonus. Toothless up front, but still have players who can create a goal out of nothing and midfield that can control the game for some periods of time. Still, I'd say 80-20% Brazil.

Morocco has quality, but will probably create even less than Croatia against Brazil. Still, they have more pace for counter-attacks. But quality is overwhelmingly in Portugal's favor and they should really make the most out of this opportunity. About the same odds, 80-20%.

Now in the third game Argentina seems to be the favorite, but I think we've got the biggest coaching mismatch in the QFs. LvG is by far the best coach in the tournament and while Netherlands squad lacks quality and isn't great to watch, they're set up well and defense looks solid.

On the other hand, Argentina started playing better, but let's face it, they won against three joke teams that were not a threat. And still, they would've went to ET against Australia if not for Martinez's great save after other Martinez bottled a handful of chances. Pressure can play a massive role here, but Messi is stepping up. They kind of look pedestrian when he's not involved, a massive drop off in quality of play compared to their matches over previous years. Scaloni is still trying to find the best setup and that's never a good thing. I'd say 60-40% Argentina, but only because of Messi. They could easily crumble under pressure.

Argentina, Brazil, Portugal.

Argentina have more quality than Holland have faced so far and I don't think they've got enough to make the difference the other way.

Morocco aren't very good. Another low quality outfit.

Other one is relatively straightforward imo. 

26 minutes ago, Astafjevs said:

Morocco aren't very good. Another low quality outfit.

Compared to whom? Certainly not gonna win it, but they're in the QF of the world cup after just beating Spain. Get off your high horse.

Argentina will win by multiple goals, they are clearly the better team.

Brazil will win comfortably, their attack will be the difference

Morocco will do a lot better than Switzerland but Portugal will still win. This is the weakest QF by quite a margin.

That Portugal looks like making the semifinals but one of France or England will miss out is a bit of joke. They both are clearly superior teams to Portugal.

I feel like we've got more potential winners left then normal in these quarters. And it's a strong final 8. Last WC France felt inevitable. And they still are strong but instead of Belguim and Croatia waiting for them, they have a revitalised Ronaldo-less Portugal and a super strong Brazil or GOAT led Argentina potentially in a final. And that'd assuming they get past possibly the strongest England squad in decades. And the Dutch on the other side, while not shown too much so far, have a great experienced manager  have been in great form going into WC and have the tools to beat anyone.

I expect Brazil to go through, but we're not S.Korea. We have enough quality, experience and general self-belief to make it really hard fot them. Most of our players play at the highest of stages, some of them played the WC final and regularly play CL finals, etc. If Brazil walks over us, fair play. They're the first favourite of the competition then IMO.

Not convinced by Argentina at all. Had them as favourites before the competition, but what they're showing isn't convincing. Netherlands isn't convincing either, but I think they can take the win here. for some reason. But it'sa 50-50 tie.

Morocco are tough as nails. Conceded only once, barely, and as shown they're mentally strong. Most of their players are experienced European-born professionals, some of them playing at the likes of PSG and Bayern. Really like last night's Portugal, but not expecting this to be a walkover. Still, Portugal should win. 

I think Holland will do a job on Argentina, I've actually enjoyed watching them play (seem to be in a minority here!) and think they're better than people think. Depay was looking lively last game, Gakpo is on it and could've had a few chances if the final ball to him had have been better, and it's probably time for De Jong to step up. And then they have a solid backline.

I don’t think Argentina are that good, can’t keep relying on Messi to produce some magic. Holland aren’t brilliant but I think they’ll be savvy enough to get past Argentina.

The other games to go as expected.

1 hour ago, Confused Clarity said:

With this final 8, would anybody else enjoy seeing an Argentina Vs Portugal final, with Cristiano Ronaldo benched and crying as Messi puts on a masterclass?

or Ramos/Leao lead Portugal to glory and Ronaldo does a John Terry at the end :D

Much as I enjoy the trust in Oranje, I think we really are the underdogs. We have a chance (judging by Argentina's matches so far, they will not try and overrun our wings, which are the main weakness of our tactics as we don't have world class wingers, to put it mildly) but c'mon, this is Argentina. 

In Louis we trust 

image.png.d6c49827adb74188932f41b6bb337862.png

and we will have to take courage out of 2014, when we managed to keep Messi c.s. from scoring with a defense consisting of people like Ron Vlaar and Bruno Martins Indi. 

But overall, I think Argentina are the clear favourites.

Bit on the edge on Argentina - Netherlands. Messi and pals were unimpressive in first two games but they've improved since then. They control the ball and the flow really well.

On other side, few decent players and a mad genius on Oranje's bench. Said it before, I refuse to underestimate the mad bastard. He's unpredictable, could lead them all the way. Argentina will be their greatest test to date in Qatar.

Portugal and Brazil should, should make quick work of Croatia and Morocco. Both sides seems spent, mentally and physically exhausted while the favorites has had their rest. I don't expect any surprises there.

Brazil, Netherlands, Morocco. 

Croatia's midfield gives them a chance, but unless they score on an early set piece, and Brazil crumble under the pressure, it just seems like Brazil have too much quality.

Messi gives Argentina more than a puncher's chance, but their midfield has been nonexistent, and the Netherlands have looked opportunistic on the counter. 

Morocco. If they frustrate Portugal, even half as much as they did Spain, someone will get sent off. A Portuguese meltdown in the World Cup is on par with a PSG meltdown in UCL. 

Edited by XuluBak

Portugal obviously the new favorite after last night, but..... if they fail Ronaldo will have been the reason. A bigger ego than his whole nation and his family is quite good at it as well.

Argentina, Brazil and Portugal for me.

The Dutch need to cleanly demolish Argentina which they are not capable of. In a tight game, the refs will give all 50-50s to Argentina because of Messi. Expect him to either turn on some magic or get an undeserved penalty to break the Dutch.

Morocco will concede early against Portugal which will ruin their Spain 2.0 strategy and then Portugal will run through them.

Brazil will beat Croatia. Those legs are gone and unless something unexpected like a red card happens,  this will be quite routine.

2 hours ago, Icondacarver said:

Argentina, Brazil and Portugal for me.

The Dutch need to cleanly demolish Argentina which they are not capable of. In a tight game, the refs will give all 50-50s to Argentina because of Messi. Expect him to either turn on some magic or get an undeserved penalty to break the Dutch.

Morocco will concede early against Portugal which will ruin their Spain 2.0 strategy and then Portugal will run through them.

Brazil will beat Croatia. Those legs are gone and unless something unexpected like a red card happens,  this will be quite routine.

I think exactly this as well. Clearly put, concise, top marks 👉👉👉

9 hours ago, DJ said:

Much as I enjoy the trust in Oranje, I think we really are the underdogs. We have a chance (judging by Argentina's matches so far, they will not try and overrun our wings, which are the main weakness of our tactics as we don't have world class wingers, to put it mildly) but c'mon, this is Argentina. 

In Louis we trust 

image.png.d6c49827adb74188932f41b6bb337862.png

and we will have to take courage out of 2014, when we managed to keep Messi c.s. from scoring with a defense consisting of people like Ron Vlaar and Bruno Martins Indi. 

But overall, I think Argentina are the clear favourites.

I love Messi and Argentina as a bit of a footballing ethos...but you definitely have a chance and I would love to see you get through. Will be tough, but I think it will be close.

• Administrators

Went for Brazil, Argentina and Morocco but Argentina's game is the closest to call for me. 

Either winner there is a nice narrative (Messi vs LVG's last tournament). 

I've gone for Morocco for selfish reasons, Portugal have more than enough to turn them inside out, but I love an underdog.

Morocco are good at making the game into a scrap, but they don't have much of a counter-attacking threat. That's not their fault, but it means that I don't see how they can keep up the run of shocks. Whereas the Dutch are quite boring, and only have a few really good players, but they do offer a threat on the counter and that is probably the match I most want to watch. I think Croatia will be a rerun of the Switzerland-Brazil game, it's a shame Croatia haven't got some fairly poor but pacy forward to at least keep their defence honest.

We have Oršić. Can play a striker, really quick, great finisher and long distance shooter, scored (hat tricks) on big occasions, ... And he's totally dismissed by Dalić. He'd rather play Lovren up front. 

Voted for the more favoured options for now. Brazil have a very good squad and while a pacey forward could do some damage, Croatia don't have one. Not as a starter anyway.

The second one is tough to call. Netherlands have done well on the counter and Van Dijk looks back to his best again. If Alvarez or Lautaro score with their chances, Argentina should win.

Portugal have an excellent team and even with Amrabat looking like the best DM in the world, they should have enough to beat Morocco. They won't be as open as the Swiss were but if there's any tiredness, Portugal should be able to take advantage. As long as Santos doesn't restrict them from playing as they are capable of.

3 hours ago, Heartwork said:

Looking forward to Morocco winning and being undisputed Kings of Iberia.

Brazil can become kings of Yugoslavia as Brazil beat Serbia and Switzerland (they have Kosovar players!) in the group stage and should beat Croatia tomorrow.

26 minutes ago, PMLF said:

Brazil can become kings of Yugoslavia as Brazil beat Serbia and Switzerland (they have Kosovar players!) in the group stage and should beat Croatia tomorrow.

Brazil aren't in the Balkans though. Morocco are at least considered by some to be part of the Iberian region

11 minutes ago, Weezer said:

Whenever LVG starts talking you never know where it’s going to go. The end of the statement never seems to match up with the beginning.

• Together with Brazil, Argentina is the country we faced the most during World Cups, did you know that?

Van Gaal: "We are beating Argentina and then we will face Brazil again so this doesn't matter."

I'm voting for the 3 favourites here (ARG, BRA, POR) because I think the slight surprise is happening in the other match with England going through...

Everyone is saying Netherlands-Argentina is really tough for the Argentines and I agree, specially as they have had zero width in this competition and the Netherlands stack up the center of the pitch, but I think Argentina have been increasingly creative and somehow finding space to dismount the opposition... and the Netherlands have conceded quite a lot of chances against Ecuador and the USA.. They might have Van Dijk and a few other accomplished centerbacks but I really don't trust them to not concede.

Brazil should be too strong for Croatia, and in our match I think we won't smash them like we did over the Swiss, but Morocco as surprising as they've been, and genuinely competitive, have also rode their luck a tiny little bit... look at their xG in the match vs Belgium for example.. at the moment we seem to attack with more intent than Spain and I think we'll eventually score rather than be happy to just pass it around and wait it out for goals to arrive out of the sky.

2 minutes ago, PMLF said:

That Brazil would lose due to having no goalkeeper… :( 

That Brazil team is so talented you'd think they'd just outscore the opposition regardless.

However, Croatia have Davor Suker, who could lob from distance even Peter Schmeichel... imagine him vs an empty net.

I think both Brazil and Portugal are in for a surprise, or at least I hope so, especially as they won their games relatively easy, they might go into this one with too much confidence, hope Morocco and Croatia give them a run for their money and give a good account of themselves, alone that can lead to a surprise win for them.

I'm surprised how unfancied Netherlands are, they've controlled games better than the Argies and are less reliant on moments and I don't see how the Argies keep a clean either.

It'll probably end Netherlands 1-2 Messi but if Messi is kept out in those moments when he senses something special then Netherlands in all likelihood win this.

7 hours ago, Goldy said:

I think both Brazil and Portugal are in for a surprise, or at least I hope so, especially as they won their games relatively easy, they might go into this one with too much confidence, hope Morocco and Croatia give them a run for their money and give a good account of themselves, alone that can lead to a surprise win for them.

Morocco to follow :D Get in Croatia, lovely, had a plan and it worked out.