General Commentary/Punditry Moaning Thread

Pukey

Seeing as basically all of despise the pundits and commentators I thought we might as well have a general thread on the subject. Why restrict ourselves to match threads!

So yeah, use this thread discuss how ****ing awful Sam Matterface is amongst other things. What's the worst bit of commentary so far? Why don't we have better pundits? Why can't we preserve Barry Davies and have him commentating until the end of time?

Ally McCoist the only commentator I enjoy, which says a lot about how bad the rest are. Even then I just appreciate his excitement and enthusiasm and watching the games. It comes across really well when watching/listening.

Punditry wise, Alex Scott I know has been very outspoken, which has been great. But I also appreciate her insight and football knowledge.

As I said in one of the match threads, pundit wise a mix of Alex Scott, Keane and Wrighty would be acceptable. Champion and McCoist for one commentary team, then steal John Murray from 5live with probably Neville for another.

Then take Dixon, Hartson, Pougatch, Dublin et all outside, and shoot them

So far on the BBC we've had to listen to Dublin, keown, jenas and Murphy as co-comentators.

Dublin seems like a nice bloke but he's not the best commentator. As for the other three? Qatar can keep them.

Also annoyed by the fact that every tournament the BBC roll out Rio Ferdinand like he's some kind of deity. He can get in the bin aswell

Danny Murphy is terrible, can't remember which channel/station he's on, but truly awful.

Edit - its Talksport which is obviously full of terrible pundits, but he is so dull and never has anything worthwhile to contribute at all.

Edited by Ginger

• Administrators

BBC treating Canada like farmers tonight really annoyed me. Best team in CONCACAF qualifiers, very organised with a number of players playing in top divisions in Europe.

I wasn't surprised that they were competitive but BBC thought they'd roll over. No doubt USA gets the same treatment on Friday too.

22 minutes ago, Lucas said:

BBC treating Canada like farmers tonight really annoyed me. Best team in CONCACAF qualifiers, very organised with a number of players playing in top divisions in Europe.

I wasn't surprised that they were competitive but BBC thought they'd roll over. No doubt USA gets the same treatment on Friday too.

same as Matterface with Japan.  Going on as if they were some plucky no hopers  when they've got to the last 16 is it three times in recent tournaments?  it's just really lazy.  Them beating Germany in my eyes is a slight to moderate surprise, not a major shock. 

Pougatch is the absolute worst though.

Also can't stand Clinton Morrison who 5 live use a lot.   Murphy isn't great but I'd take him over Keown and Hartson, personal taste though, they are much of a muchness.

I get frustrated when we're presented with a panel of all British pundits for games between non British nations.  It's much better when the pundits have at least a link to the countries playing, and preferably a deep knowledge of their players, tactics and background going in to the tournament.  Instead we get generic comments like "we know their forwards are always dangerous" or "they'll be looking to such-and-such (who played/plays in the Premier League) to make a difference".  Basically the level of insight you'd get from a random in the pub.  

Thought McCoist was poor during the Germany Japan game. 

It was the same stuff over and over and thought some of this calls were all over the place. 

Usually enjoy him on Amazon though. 

• Administrators
9 hours ago, pearcey_90 said:

Be the opposite. USA will be hyped to the maxed because of players playing in the Premier League.

Like "why is Aaronson on the bench" sort of hype of ridiculing of the team? That what you mean?

47 minutes ago, Barnzy said:

Laura Woods, warming to her relaxed method of presenting, think she’d be good at telling people bad news 

Her and Kelly Cates are great. 

15 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Like "why is Aaronson on the bench" sort of hype of ridiculing of the team? That what you mean?

Tbf I'm sure some Americans who watch the team regularly were asking about that, but no doubt the pundits here were only asking as he plays in the PL and they've heard of him.

Peter Walton must have the easiest gig going. Would love to know what he makes from ITV.

Speaks about twice a game and spends 20 seconds repeating the same thing every single time and adding zero new insight. Bet he can't believe his luck.

20 minutes ago, Snedhead said:

Peter Walton must have the easiest gig going. Would love to know what he makes from ITV.

Speaks about twice a game and spends 20 seconds repeating the same thing every single time and adding zero new insight. Bet he can't believe his luck.

Turn up. Agree with referee's decision. Get Paid. Go Home. Repeat.

Sam Matterface has been super dreadful. Early in the Argentina SA game he mentioned the name of one of the Saudi Arabia players and said something along the lines of "there's something he can tell his grandchildren - he stopped Lionel Messi from getting to the ball". It was so dismissive and patronising that as soon as he said it I was rooting for SA.

4 minutes ago, Weezer said:

I don’t understand the fascination with McCoist. Sure he’s happy and sounds excited to be there but in terms of intelligent analysis and punditry he’s got nothing. Seems very overrated to me.

He's not a good analyst but what you have to remember is it's poor analysis and enthusiasm vs poor analysis and apathy/boredom. Easy win for Ally.

Edited by EnterUsernameHere

21 hours ago, Lucas said:

20 hours ago, Pukey said:

Tbf I'm sure some Americans who watch the team regularly were asking about that, but no doubt the pundits here were only asking as he plays in the PL and they've heard of him.

Aaronson was a surprising omission because he was one of the best players from qualifying, but if it's between him and Weah, then the latter is an understandable selection. Personally, I'd play both, with Weah up top.

Yes it's like Nevin on 5 live, he sounds enthusiastic about football.

I actually don't mind Danny Murphy that much tbh, he's not great but I can bear him, he offers opinions even if they aren't groundbreaking.

Whereas for Keown or Dublin I don't get why they even bother, just say what you see.

29 minutes ago, EnterUsernameHere said:

He's not a good analyst but what you have to remember is it's poor analysis and enthusiasm vs poor analysis and apathy/boredom. Easy win for Ally.

I actually preferred Lawrenson’s OTT apathy to McCoist’s excitement tbf, but maybe that says more about me :D 

1 minute ago, titchuk said:

Andros Townsend on Poland v Saudi Arabia seems to be enjoying himself, although he did jinx Saudi Arabia by saying they were back in control of the game immediately before Poland went down the other end and scored.

Pretty embarassing that he couldn't concentrate on a match until he'd asked Ronaldo for his shirt.

But he's allright

Edited by The_jagster

6 minutes ago, The_jagster said:

Pretty embarassing that he couldn't concentrate on a match until he'd asked Ronaldo for his shirt.

But he's allright

Yeah that made me laugh, wasn't fully paying attention so no idea what it had to do with Poland v Saudi Arabia.

3 hours ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

Not sure I understand the outrage here tbh. I’ve no problem with countries being deemed to have certain footballing “cultures”. I don’t think it’s disrespectful or racist. Brazilian flamboyance, Italian dark arts, German efficiency, etc, etc. I don’t know enough about Iranian football to know the accuracy of his generalisation but it’s nothing to do with being brown skinned.

His comments on the Guatemalan referee are odd though. 

56 minutes ago, titchuk said:

Andros Townsend on Poland v Saudi Arabia seems to be enjoying himself, although he did jinx Saudi Arabia by saying they were back in control of the game immediately before Poland went down the other end and scored.

Not heard the line "I was bricking it" too many times on a live commentary :D 

Edited by Coulthard's Jaw

5 minutes ago, SouthCoastRed said:

Thank god you said seems

The bar is so low :D 

When you compare him to Gary Neville, who clearly doesn’t watch any football outside of Man Utd, he comes across like Einstein.

Edited by Smallen

On 26/11/2022 at 14:45, Gizmo7 said:

Not sure I understand the outrage here tbh. I’ve no problem with countries being deemed to have certain footballing “cultures”. I don’t think it’s disrespectful or racist. Brazilian flamboyance, Italian dark arts, German efficiency, etc, etc. I don’t know enough about Iranian football to know the accuracy of his generalisation but it’s nothing to do with being brown skinned.

His comments on the Guatemalan referee are odd though. 

I just assumed he was saying that in Guatemala, the referee is used to letting these tackles go as it’s a routine thing in their league, and he experienced this when he had referees from there referee games for USA?

Watching on the screens out here in bars and fan zones it’s all beIN Sports so I have to put up with Keys and Gray in the studio before, during and after games :( 

Welcome break tonight as I’m having a quite one in and watching the last two games on ITV Player though…. :rolleyes: