*Official* Football Manager 2023 Feedback Thread

4 hours ago, ajw10 said:

So I've played some games on this update for the first time (and the game itself for the first time in about 3 months)

It's an improvement, but not a big enough one to justify the wait for it. The ME just doesn't do it for me, animation issues like players standing still waiting to be tackled and the awful high ball animation when a shot is blocked gets boring and frustrating really quick

Also the match ratings have been broken for years. So frustrating to see this ignored when it's such an important part of the game

a few more annoyances.

Too many underhit passes from techinical players.

Shots that are off target seem to always go over the bar, not wide.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, ajw10 said:

So I've played some games on this update for the first time (and the game itself for the first time in about 3 months)

It's an improvement, but not a big enough one to justify the wait for it. The ME just doesn't do it for me, animation issues like players standing still waiting to be tackled and the awful high ball animation when a shot is blocked gets boring and frustrating really quick

Also the match ratings have been broken for years. So frustrating to see this ignored when it's such an important part of the game

The fetishisation of the annual update is ridiculous. It will only ever make marginal gains and rarely justifies the wait. The same has happened this year I agree. But what can they really do in 3 months anyway. I actually quite like 23 and the ME/ graphics. Such improvements after the disaster years post 17. 
but considering I play Touch for effectively £60 a year it should be bloody brilliant. Like 17 was. And it really really isn’t. 

Edited by SimonHoddle

since the update:

goalkeepers making way more mistakes

too many 1 on 1 shots are chips, seeing like 1-3 a game

a lot more goals ruled out for offside

defenders seem less error prone, but their ratings are much worse somehow

tactic is still dominant pre and post patch, my team are still punching well above my perceived opinion of them

passing seems nicer overall

edit:

and for the record I am also experiencing more injuries than previous. particularly non-contact injuries, like twisted ankles and pull thighs etc. that being said, I did think more injuries were needed

Edited by Sheep

One thing that comes to mind in regard to realism is that SI handles club finances way to lenient and not based on reality.

For example is Hertha Berlin in the 1.Bundesliga currently in a deep debt hole and endangered to make it not through the licensing phase for the next season especially if they relegate - then it could be a free fall into a lower league below D3.

Yet in the game Hertha Berlin is depicted as a rich club with not financial troubles...

There are very few clubs in germany that are not debt ridden and i gets worse in regard to liquidity the lower the league you get.

Clubs like Schalke 04 and VFB Stuttghart come to mind they are also depicted way to healthy financially, the HSV in 2.Bundesliga is a financial disaster.

So finances are really not based on reality in this game but on a fantasy scenario.

Can not say anything about the gameplay after the latest update, i wont play until the mods are all up and running.

Edited by Etebaer

On 06/03/2023 at 09:39, Mr U Rosler said:

In terms of the Match Engine, coming straight into the final version from FM22 its far, far better. 

Much more frequent turn over of possession, some effective pressing, nice central play with through balls and varied play on the wings. 

It's starting to resemble 'real' football. 

Star players seem to stand out a bit more. 

I'm impressed. 

Very much agree, a real significant improvement from the last patch especially which I struggled to enjoy playing with. And yes, the game's feeling a bit more real now with a degree of unpredictability when watching the games which is fantastic. It's not perfect but the strides taken are great. Really good job and I hope this continues to develop this way going forwards going into next year's game.

Edited by BJT

22 saat önce, Fëanáro Míriel said:

I don't really have an issue with injuries. My problem is hitting the posts too much, we have hit the top post 28 times in 8 league games and hit a post 52 times in total. thats 6-7 times a game thats too high no ? If we take 10 shots a game inside the box 4 of them comes of a post, 5 of them gets blocked and we sky the other 1. It feels like the keepers are only there to collect the high balls that defenders deflected. I like everything else so far its just the shooting thats annoying me rn.

I take this back lol I advanced 2 months and we have 7 injured with 3 of them out for at least 3 months... and Im pretty sure none of them happened in a game.

21 hours ago, fmhaha said:

"So today we are doing a team bonding session and a match preparation talk where we talk about tactics and how we want to play"

Star players breaks his spine

Perhaps he fell from his chair.

2 hours ago, Rob 396 said:

Managing in Scotland and just noticed that it's March 2025, but no league football in England has been scheduled - anyone had this before?

Yes, i had this issue in my save where no schedule was made for the upcoming season.. Unfortunately i didn't have a previous save..

Player promises needs some refinement. I have Leao in my team. I don’t remember when but he was promised to play as an IW on the left wing.

For about 80% he has played exactly that and the rest as a Inside Fwd.

He plays every game, scores and assists.

Now he is unhappy because I haven’t kept my promise.

I highly doubt players IRL say to a coach, play me as a mezzala in central midfield, on the left side otherwise I’ll get upset.

Now he wants to leave. Need some balance with this feature 

38 minutes ago, andu1 said:

Yes, i had this issue in my save where no schedule was made for the upcoming season.. Unfortunately i didn't have a previous save..

Luckily it kicked back in the next year in 2026 .. there's just an awkward season blank domestically now hah - luckily the country I was managing in was unaffected!

2 hours ago, MrBigT said:

Player promises needs some refinement. I have Leao in my team. I don’t remember when but he was promised to play as an IW on the left wing.

I highly doubt players IRL say to a coach, play me as a mezzala in central midfield, on the left side otherwise I’ll get upset.

Really agree with that... I'd understand if the player wanted to play in central midfield, but I'd use him as RB or LB. But to make such a fuss about playing in a different role in the same position is too much.

So far i find the match engine after the update very entertaining. I am in 24/25 season with Sevilla, is currently no.1 in La Liga and just finished 1st in the Europe League initial stage with a goal difference of +34 goals from 8 matches (!). The huge annoyance from too easy balls over the top and top defenders just backtracking seems gone (i did however already invest in better CD's on the previous patch which solved part of the problems). Personally i like that the game gives me that sort of entertainment even though it might be a bit "too easy" for some. Its a game, and for me winning streaks are more entertaining than loosing streaks :-)

ME aside, i also find that the rest of FM is filled up with inconsistencies, e.g. players overreacting, going crazy based on well-meaning positive feedback, team meatings which are basically "close-your-eyes-and-hope-for-the-best". Its like navigating a system of complex, ill-configured rule sets where you try to guess your way through the "maze".

Edited by molsen

Anyone with the last update finds out that it's impossible to sign a newgen player under 18 y/o ?? They won't even want to discuss terms, every single time

BUT as soon as they turn 18, they will discuss terms, really strange

I'm playing with a champions league club etc

8 minutes ago, nico_france said:

Anyone with the last update finds out that it's impossible to sign a newgen player under 18 y/o ?? They won't even want to discuss terms, every single time

BUT as soon as they turn 18, they will discuss terms, really strange

I'm playing with a champions league club etc

12 hours ago, MrBigT said:

It is a play style...Although, the amount of complaints from a tactic that allows creative freedom should be less than a tactic that doesn't...That's the refinement right there.

Edited by Mars_Blackmon

3 hours ago, stevemc said:

Undoubtedly, this game feels more polished now since the update, however, I feel this level of "polish" is how the game should be presented with when released in November, it's not perfect, but it's what I'd expect for £35 at release, not March - with the further March update being the cherry on the top of the cake - not a mop-up session opportunity to fix issues from launch.

Having said that, I still feel FM23 lacks that cherry though - and I don't feel a huge difference in progression between FM22 and FM23, infact it feels like it's floated for a few iterations now - although I love the UEFA licenses this year, brilliant addition!

It's still got issues and bugs, no point going over them as they've been mentioned countless times in here by many users - but FM24 really needs to step up and drive forward, the community has provided so much in regards to feedback, bugs, issues etc that they need to be addressed as much as closely as possible to tighten the game experience up under the hood. Plus, there's so much to go after in terms of improvements; AI squad building, newgens, further licenses, UX/UI, graphical, match engine, presentation/design, stadiums, skin, actual legit features... the list goes on - whilst people have been screaming out for features like International Management and Set Piece overhaul for years.

Overall, in terms of how good FM23 is, it's progression from FM22 and the delivery of it from beginning to end, probably sits somewhere between a 6-7 out of 10 for me this year.

There is progress but it's slow.

Match engine animation is better, and the balance of play better. Really good work.

But other things are neglected.

Immersion, improving the interactions, the UI for interactions, how you look after your players off the pitch, the little stories players get up to off the pitch that we read about in the newspapers, the culture of football...

All these things are sorely lacking...

You may say these don't matter... but actually moral and happiness amd team cohesion is a really important part of a game. Teams go on winning runs if these things are done well, and they get stuck in ruts if they're not done well, even if you have good tactics and players.

So novel and imaginative ways of boosting these things could be implemented with stories and interaction.

But will they do it? pfffff

Repetitive boring press conferences with awful questions and answers are just not on. Its not good enough. The narrative of the press conference, the UI, all of it should be upgraded and invested with some imagination, drama, and role-play.

Same for player interactions. 

Same for how youth players develop. There should be more of a personal connection and social interactions, more stories and management of these players to nurture their growth (boosting their attributes), get the imagination going, its a video game, they're supposed to be dramatic like movies.

5 hours ago, 2feet said:

Repetitive boring press conferences with awful questions and answers are just not on. Its not good enough. The narrative of the press conference, the UI, all of it should be upgraded and invested with some imagination, drama, and role-play.

Same for player interactions. 

Can really recommend leaving press conferences to e.g. your sports director or assistant. You save a whole bunch of tedious clicks that doesn't make much difference in the game anyway. Im 3 years into my game, and i haven't seen any negative consequence from simply letting my sports director handling it. This however also speaks for the state of FM these days: overloaded with nitty-gritty, time consuming 'features' that doesn't make a difference.

Oeh, how game cant make a logical thing work.

I have been promoted to Sky Bet League 2 it is 31st May, the promotion was already done before the league finish in April. I have loan player with me whos contract is ending.  Now trying to sing him up, he says he wont start contract talks before  we have achieved promotion to Sky Bet League 2....

So reading into this there is set configuration in the game that at some point will be refreshed to players to make their decisions. It is not logically done at the time when I am interacting with them. Why....? When i start contract negotiation with player I would assume the GAME would see the  current clubs state and give info to the player for contract talk, not bring him to the table when having dated info...

Anyway... Anyone know the date when my promotion will be let known to players and I can start sing up people?

Edited by saihtam

13 hours ago, stevemc said:

Undoubtedly, this game feels more polished now since the update, however, I feel this level of "polish" is how the game should be presented with when released in November, it's not perfect, but it's what I'd expect for £35 at release, not March - with the further March update being the cherry on the top of the cake - not a mop-up session opportunity to fix issues from launch.

Having said that, I still feel FM23 lacks that cherry though - and I don't feel a huge difference in progression between FM22 and FM23, infact it feels like it's floated for a few iterations now - although I love the UEFA licenses this year, brilliant addition!

It's still got issues and bugs, no point going over them as they've been mentioned countless times in here by many users - but FM24 really needs to step up and drive forward, the community has provided so much in regards to feedback, bugs, issues etc that they need to be addressed as much as closely as possible to tighten the game experience up under the hood. Plus, there's so much to go after in terms of improvements; AI squad building, newgens, further licenses, UX/UI, graphical, match engine, presentation/design, stadiums, skin, actual legit features... the list goes on - whilst people have been screaming out for features like International Management and Set Piece overhaul for years.

Overall, in terms of how good FM23 is, it's progression from FM22 and the delivery of it from beginning to end, probably sits somewhere between a 6-7 out of 10 for me this year.

"but FM24 really needs to step up and drive forward, the community has provided so much in regards to feedback, bugs, issues etc that they need to be addressed as much as closely as possible to tighten the game experience up under the hood." Every year there is a comment like this, looking to the bright side, especially that first part (fm24 really needs to step up) is so i feel like off, I dont want to take anything away from your comment because i agree with all of it but that part just never happens, for the last few years at least. The game is not stepping up, useless "new" things, while the bugs from past years keep getting on and on with even deeper holes that at the start when they first appeared. Just looking at the last years, fm24 probably wont really step up and similar comment to yours will again happen after the winter patch next year, only the numbers would be different (fm25 really needs to step up...etc.). Thats my take on it.

2 hours ago, molsen said:

Im affraid that is only when the new season is started then, believe its around 1st of July (?)

So this basically fuuus off lower team management does it not? I get promotion but i need to wait until the mid summer, wasting full month so game could finally tell itself that hey this club is now officially promoted and thus these players wants to join you.

Am 7.3.2023 um 15:52 schrieb jmeast:

I have missed around 9 penalties this season (not even half way through yet)  which I find so unrealistic! It's just not me, but the AI are missing quite a few too.. it has been like this since the release!? It's never been this bad in previous FM's!

May I ask, if it's only the amount of missed penalties that is quite high or if it's also the number of penalties in general?

When the New Update has been announced I started a new save. I used the database 23.0 (if this is the correct name) not the new Database 23.3. (where the winter transfers are included).

Since then I have at least one penalty in each of my games. Sometimes even more.

Has anyone had success with a Target Man type striker in a top league since the patch? My first season at PSV Luuk De Jong was so ineffective I ended up benching him for the second half of the season. He only got 6 goals and I don't think any of them were headers. I experimented with different instructions (Float crosses, cross more often, cross into the centre or to target man etc) to no avail. Seemed a lot of headers off target from set pieces or open play. The best I saw was a header saved and another player got a tap in.

1 hour ago, jpe said:

Has anyone had success with a Target Man type striker in a top league since the patch? My first season at PSV Luuk De Jong was so ineffective I ended up benching him for the second half of the season. He only got 6 goals and I don't think any of them were headers. I experimented with different instructions (Float crosses, cross more often, cross into the centre or to target man etc) to no avail. Seemed a lot of headers off target from set pieces or open play. The best I saw was a header saved and another player got a tap in.

I play 442 get it out wide and hit early crosses and my Target Man is doing pretty well. I don't do anything fancy such as float crosses or aim for X, I literally have cross more often and hit early crosses with my full backs overlapping as well. 

17 hours ago, stevemc said:

This a very good and on point summarization of the current state of the franchise in general and FM23 in particular. 

The new features are really forgettable, adding to a long list of half baked modules that the game drags along edition to edition - never fully connected, never fully integrated or completed. And never touched again from an iteration to another. ( I don't think UEFA licenses are a new feature. ) 

So we can say we only have an improved match engine that took 5 month from the launch to be corrected, polished - and now adding new issues. :onmehead:

Since yesterday i m in a online game and we have a versus game, we tried six times and the game disconnect him always during the match , any idea? graphic card update?

Many thanks

Edited by ostkiz

Is it possible that the game doesn't know offside rules?

Striker is in offside position as ball is played to him but doesn't go after the ball, opposition goal keeper comes out passes the ball to his defender, the defender tries a pass to the other defender which my striker intercepts, the goal is then checked for offside. Of course, with the scene of the pass that my striker didn't even get to. :idiot:

5 horas atrás, BuzzR disse:

Headers numbers are enormous:

spacer.png

spacer.png

I think the hole match gameplay is little bit off.. a lot of long kicks by goalkeepers and by defenders.

The options pool is pretty limited and the ball is kicked forward too often. The heading stats are an effect of lack of diversity and options in build up play.

Also it's becoming clear that those stupid balls over the top are still a thing - it's happening too often and it's really silly. I'm talking about that ball that falls 1m behind the defender, when he jumps a little missing the header leaving the striker with an open run to 1v1 with the keeper, no other defenders helping , no preventive positioning for the header - nothing.

I would really like someone from SI just explain it to us how is this still a a thing, after all this time.  It's not bad animation, it's not bad representation - it's working as intended ( badly ! ) - it's a stupid attributes check that is completely unrealistic. This is not a long ball played in space behind the defensive live .. it's a ball that should fall on the defender/ attacker head but somehow it's computed to be a missed header. Ok could happen very rarely but the defender has some kind of chance to recover. 

Also what's with the strikers ratings since the update? It's the same mess like the FBs and DMs 2 editions ago.

They ignore this since FM22. It's a clear problem with decision making by players who are only limited to long balls. There is no attempt at carrying and dribbling, different body movement for trying to intercept the ball, cuts inside, etc.

On 09/03/2023 at 14:41, molsen said:

ME aside, i also find that the rest of FM is filled up with inconsistencies, e.g. players overreacting, going crazy based on well-meaning positive feedback, team meatings which are basically "close-your-eyes-and-hope-for-the-best". Its like navigating a system of complex, ill-configured rule sets where you try to guess your way through the "maze".

This kind of B.S. when you praise the form of your player with the highest 5 match average rating of the entire team...

Udklip.JPG

Edited by molsen

14 hours ago, BuzzR said:

Headers numbers are enormous:

spacer.png

spacer.png

I think the hole match gameplay is little bit off.. a lot of long kicks by goalkeepers and by defenders.

The options pool is pretty limited and the ball is kicked forward too often. The heading stats are an effect of lack of diversity and options in build up play.

Also it's becoming clear that those stupid balls over the top are still a thing - it's happening too often and it's really silly. I'm talking about that ball that falls 1m behind the defender, when he jumps a little missing the header leaving the striker with an open run to 1v1 with the keeper, no other defenders helping , no preventive positioning for the header - nothing.

I would really like someone from SI just explain it to us how is this still a a thing, after all this time.  It's not bad animation, it's not bad representation - it's working as intended ( badly ! ) - it's a stupid attributes check that is completely unrealistic. This is not a long ball played in space behind the defensive live .. it's a ball that should fall on the defender/ attacker head but somehow it's computed to be a missed header. Ok could happen very rarely but the defender has some kind of chance to recover. 

Also what's with the strikers ratings since the update? It's the same mess like the FBs and DMs 2 editions ago.

The headers and long balls started to become a problem when presets were introduced and gegenpress became an issue, or how I say it: overpowered. This was around release FM 19 or FM 20. For some reason, your team and AI favoured long balls to attackers. I think FM 23 is better because it was way worse back then. People would also make tactics with 3 advanced forwards upfront to give them the benefits of long balls over the top. Which is still a issue by the way, as roles like poacher or false nine never work.

Just remove gegenpress in general by deleting the two options for defensive lines. Just give one option for the backline. Because the AI tends to give long balls when they're pressured by an attacker. Problem solved. :)

Edited by Sanel

54 minutes ago, Sanel said:

Just remove gegenpress in general by deleting the two options for defensive lines. Just give one option for the backline. Because the AI tends to give long balls when they're pressured by an attacker. Problem solved. :)

Dont agree with this at all, the two defensive line options are what gives us the subtlety to setup various kinds of blocks and also compress the pitch. It also shows the setup in a very logical way.

21 minutes ago, dunk105 said:

Dont agree with this at all, the two defensive line options are what gives us the subtlety to setup various kinds of blocks and also compress the pitch. It also shows the setup in a very logical way.

Variety in what? No one plays a mid or low block. And if you do, you're handicapping yourself.

Am I the only one having problems with their strikers? They always play with low ratings. Before update, Rafa Mir playing with high rating like 7.30, 7.40. And he's scoring a lot of goals. He was the top scorer in Europe for two seasons. After update, he's playing bad and he always playing with low ratings like 6.30, 6.00. I think update broke something. Maybe aerials? Too many off target shoots is another problem for me. Am i alone?

5 hours ago, molsen said:

This kind of B.S. when you praise the form of your player with the highest 5 match average rating of the entire team...

Udklip.JPG

I find with the player interactions that the lack of guidance or documentation is the problem and makes the system look illogical when it's okay once you know how it works.

For example, he might be the best performing player in the team, but if his average rating is 7 and he has a professional personality he might have higher expectations and think he is just playing okay and that your praise is just bullshitting him.

Same with criticising players for a match performance. They have broken it up into aspects of a performance (tackling, crossing, shooting) so you have to check their stats beforehand and pick the right option.

Same with fines, you can fine players for poor performance but you need to find the line where a player won't kick off, which is usually not fining them two weeks wages. You can even warn players in the youth team who played badly and they actually respond, but fining them anything they will kick off.

Not to say it's perfect, and some players will always kick off regardless.

Just to preface this post, I play the same way every year, pick my favourite team and turn them into world dominators, countless trophies, new stadium, the best coaches and players and prospects just in time for the next release. Usually after about 20 seasons I can achieve that, or at least the beginning of that knowing from that point its domination. That's just me, the game is a release and a fantasy that I work to get to that point and enjoy the spoils.

This year is becoming a real chore and unobtainable brick wall.

20 season in and I feel like I haven't progressed from about 5 seasons in. Won FA Cup in first season, haven't won it since (countless away draws against the top teams never helps), 4 premier league wins, 2 carabao cups, 1 champs league. That's it. Sounds OK, but I'm about 40 trophies down as I would be on this point on the last 10 years of playing.

5 star prospects turn into 4 star ones, I've had 1 5 star player in 20 seasons. It's taken me 20 years to get a 4.5 star striker and yet haaland at 38 is still scoring 60 goals a season so I can rarely catch man City. I'm just waiting for him to retire at this point. Wheres the fun in that?

Signing youth early has been changed forever and that has affected me badly but its now less likely they turn into superstars. I don't really want to be buying £100m players for every position either.

I've powered through this year to try and break out the other side, but that first golden generation you put together in the first 10 years is now all pushing 30 having achieved not much and I don't see too much coming through thats going to change it. 

Frustration is all I've had on the whole. At least haaland can't go on too much longer, can he?

Edited by Winto

2 hours ago, Dotsworthy said:

I find with the player interactions that the lack of guidance or documentation is the problem and makes the system look illogical when it's okay once you know how it works.

There shouldn't need to be a system of 'knowing how it works' though...should there?  This is no different to team talks.