*Official* Football Manager 2023 Early Access Beta Feedback Thread

Really like what I've seen about the ME changes regarding everything not being so clean. Apart from the stuff in the videos its nice to see the following:

More varied break down of crossing opportunities- basically not just blocked crosses all the time.

Keepers getting fingers to the ball but it still going in.

Just off passes.

Keepers not holding shots as much.

Deflections seem more realistic, and like failed crosses blocked shots are more varied.

Only on my second match but matches don't seem as predictable as they had before in terms of patterns of play etc.

Also like the popups about momentum from my assistant too. Nice touch that.

Oh also Son for Spurs has had "likes ball into feet" removed so he plays so much better now.

Edited by dunk105

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, Ferocious289 said:

What's way better about the ME? i'm tempted to buy if there are big improvements in the M.E from fm22

it's more fluid, better interception, players using their stronger foot to cross and shoot, play isn't going as wide as it did in FM22, you can play on Vdefensive etc

2 minutes ago, DarJ said:

it's more fluid, better interception, players using their stronger foot to cross and shoot, play isn't going as wide as it did in FM22, you can play on Vdefensive etc

Are the forwards and wingers drivee forward and not cut back or drift wide like they do in fm22?

12 minutes ago, Ferocious289 said:

What's way better about the ME? i'm tempted to buy if there are big improvements in the M.E from fm22

One thing I noticed that's really good is that inside forwards play far higher up than in FM22. In FM22 the inside forwards would always have a position much deeper than the striker but in this engine their average positions sometimes can be higher than even striker

1 minute ago, Ferocious289 said:

Are the forwards and wingers drivee forward and not cut back or drift wide like they do in fm22?

The forwards no. the W maintains  width and I've not seen the IF drive forward as aggressively as they used to do in FM21 but it's better than in FM22 to me. These are just my first impressions though, the more we play the more we will discover more things 

So far, they have nailed the uncertainty of football, the passes are looser, shots get blocked more into rebounds, more realistic shot selection as well.

But the players do seem to have way too much long shot selection, they do it too often and too early.

Also it's very difficult to ppay through the middle, I'm going to test if this just familiarity or weak players.

Finally counters seem to be most of ny goals at the moment even though i am playing with work the ball into the box with more possesion.

I hope the game doesn't rely too much on it's new shiny features. We still need a viable possesion based controlled game, every game doesn't need to be a pin ball machine.

Early days though.

2 minutes ago, DarJ said:

The forwards no. the W maintains  width and I've not seen the IF drive forward as aggressively as they used to do in FM21 but it's better than in FM22 to me. These are just my first impressions though, the more we play the more we will discover more things 

Thanks for the breakdown. I'll wait for more reviews

16 minutes ago, dunk105 said:

Really like what I've seen about the ME changes regarding everything not being so clean. Apart from the stuff in the videos its nice to see the following:

More varied break down of crossing opportunities- basically not just blocked crosses all the time.

Keepers getting fingers to the ball but it still going in.

Just off passes.

Keepers not holding shots as much.

Deflections seem more realistic, and like failed crosses blocked shots are more varied.

Only on my second match but matches don't seem as predictable as they had before in terms of patterns of play etc.

Also like the popups about momentum from my assistant too. Nice touch that.

Oh also Son for Spurs has had "likes ball into feet" removed so he plays so much better now.

Son still has that trait for me :idiot:

Hello everyone! I have a question, that I haven't heard anything of, about the implementation of Champions League (and the other competitions) in FM23, in it's new single league mode. Is the new format post-2024 implemented in the game? With the new UEFA licences this year it's only natural everything will be ok, but just wondering. Thank you for your answers.

Am I crazy or there seem to be scheduling issues?
Scehdule before the CL starts for all Serie A participants.
In order: Inter, Napoli, Juventus, Milan.

Untitled.png.6d1a2519a8ab227c4513d5f3c7bc77f3.png

I'm playing with Inter and I only get to play 3 league games before the first CL matchday.
Napoli plays 5, Juventus 4 and Milan 3.
As you can see, teams are missing weekends for unknown reasons.

There seems to be no pattern or reason for this. No Cup games for the opposition or anything.
And irl it didn't happen.

17 minutes ago, Murraymint said:

My son has purchased this game... I asked him what he thought...He said that after he got used to the new layout the game was exactly the same... I had a feeling lol

Your son's wrong. Even after just one match, it's pretty clear to anyone paying attention that the match engine (arguably the most important part of the game) is significantly changed.

Not usually one for premature praise...but it seems the wingers (even in the AM strata) seem to hold their width a bit longer than in FM22. In addition, the Mezzala's seem to push further forward - towards the opposition's backline. They still drop deep to help play at times when the ball is on their side. I'm happy about these two things :) 

2 minutes ago, balldoktor81 said:

sometimes opposing players are left wide open, if the opposition has a free kick in the centre of the pitch, on set pieces... like wide!!! open... this has to be solved. ME looks really nice so far.... 

you can stop that i you put 2 players at the edge of the box

The same tactic I used in FM22 to create cutbacks and with passes into the box from settled possesion, seems to be struggling to produce a single chance from a period of controlled possesion.

It's all very back and forth, that's good, it's 1 element of football that was missing from FM, but they might have over done it. I'll use some of their own default tactics and see what happens, it's possible my FM22 tactic just doesn't work the same here.

28 minutes ago, Ranquelme said:

Are the inside forwards fixed?

I'm playing as Brugge with Noa Lang playing as an inside forward on the left, and from the few games I've played so far, his positioning and movement are far more attuned to that role than they were last year, he's pretty much playing as he does in real life, which is nice to see. And yes, this means he's also ball greedy! But from what I've seen thus far, it's very encouraging. 

The youth team bio bug seems to be back.

20221021081109_1.thumb.jpg.a02449c4ac32f239dcb883bee04a26e6.jpg

Why does it say he was bought by Man UFC U18s rather than Man UFC? That's an annoying error. But in FM20 at least that also completely screwed up the player's bio and wouldn't credit them with any competition wins, since those competition wins were for the senior club while the player only had a page on their bio for the U18 club. It's also kind of dumb to see Man UFC U18s on the top transfers page having bought a player for 7.75m, it should definitely say Man UFC bought him, not the U18s.

Edited by rusty217

1 minute ago, rusty217 said:

The youth team bio bug seems to be back.

20221021081109_1.thumb.jpg.a02449c4ac32f239dcb883bee04a26e6.jpg

Why does it say he was bought by Man UFC U18s rather than Man UFC? That's an annoying error. But in FM20 at least that also completely screwed up the player's bio and wouldn't credit them with any competition wins, since those competition wins were for the senior club while the player only had a page on their bio for the U18 club. It's also kind of dumb to see Man UFC U18s on the top transfers page having bought a player for 7.75m, it should definitely say Man UFC bought him, not the U18s.

Best to report this is the Bug tracker as it is not going to get actioned from here.

ME is so close to being excellent. Two major issues holding it back :

1. ME using long balls as a crutch to  transition from defence to attack, central passes are very rare again, most of the time, player on the ball refuses to play to player unless in acres of space.

2. Which brings me to my second point, the ME sees the wide players not being marked with space and so uses them as a crutch to escape pressure or a settled defence. Also ME is playing long balls to wide players from too central a position. Real players do use long passes to wingers to transition straight to attack but they do it from one side of the pitch to the other, this is because the opposition team has shifted to your side, so sometimes there is an opportunity that they have shifted too far and the opposite wide player is free, hence the switch. But CBs are spamming that long balls from everywhere because they see it as less risky than playing the ball through the lines ,for whatever reason. CBs are the main culprit here but other players also use it too often.

3. Game is too direct, settled possession is very very difficult. Turnovers are very high, players will keep ball deep in their own half or around the center line, but anything above that means players play direct passes.

Whether it's the improved defending (which should accompany improved decision making) or it's a bug, the gameplay is one flavor at the moment and it needs tweaking. Especially build up which is way too direct at the moment.

Quick impressions:

• Squad planner and new recruitment meetings are wonderful and now that I have used them, definitely worth the branding as headline features.
  • I need to play more to see how fan confidence plays out but I like the little overlays and that apparently now fans and boards can have more meaningful differences.
  • Defensive play! Currently playing Union and I can use a low block counter system both as underdog and as favourite and both work quite well.
  • I have already seen goalkeepers outside the box more than in the last years combined.
  • Two-Striker systems have some interesting new movement with one often running wide.
  • Low and fast free kicks. That is all!
  • The transfer AI is still quite aggressive and there are some lowballs here and there but if they really want a player, they are now willing to pay and if not, they now know the meaning of "no".
  • Promises about transfer values seem to be fixed and the players are more willing to negotiate those "fair" values.
  • So many new stats and most of them are exactly those I had been missing. Now I might only need to use my calc-sheets for the season-review instead of every month or so!
  • Tactic generation: Some improved tooltips and a change in defensive instructions. I might need to play a lot more to better gauge how much that changes but it is at least clearer in its effects. I am a bit said the lines got changed from five to three options, though. I quite grew to love my compact formations with LoE -2 relative to the Defensive Line but who knows what new styles I might discover?
  • Like every single beta, journalists begin hating me for no reason. I could bet that once the real game launches, they will all 180 again and love me for no reason. This seems to be a common feature over the years.

I already said that I am not a friend of the large symbols at set piece generation. Now it is even less fun than in the previous years. And splitting language options into two menues still seems like a weird choice to me.

Enjoying the match engine a lot. But I must say the squad planner is a disaster. It’s very unclear & a step down to the squad depth screen. Unsure if I’m just not used to it yet, or it’s badly designed from UI perspective.

2 minutes ago, angelo994 said:

Enjoying the match engine a lot. But I must say the squad planner is a disaster. It’s very unclear & a step down to the squad depth screen. Unsure if I’m just not used to it yet, or it’s badly designed from UI perspective.

I like it but it does seem to lack some filters on the full squad view. I personally wouldn't call it a disaster.