*Official* Football Manager 2023 Early Access Beta Feedback Thread

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, TheArsenal63 said:

FM is unique in that the ME is so complicated to fix. Usually it takes until March for them to make meaningful change to the ME. That's why it seems to me it needs an invite only alpha phase of the ME.

The ME is so close to being excellent, for the first time, the feel of a real football match is there. But I think either they are already aware of the long ball, long shots and lack of central play and are attempting to fix before release, or their own testing just isn't enough to continuously pick up on potentially immersion breaking bugs.

Maybe an invite only Alpha already exists and we just don't know about it, but whatever testing is being done at the moment before release is clearly not pointing out some very very obvious and glaring issues. Hope it's something they will address at release, but I've seen plenty of evidence it takes them till the march update to fix the ME.

If that happens, I would be gutted because apart from these issues, it really does behave like  a real football broadcast for the first time.

Let's hope for a release fix.

There's always been an invite only closed testing. Just because something hasn't been sorted doesn't mean it hasn't been pointed out. Testers don't fix things, they point them out to Devs who will prioritize when they release. And main launch will always be prioritized over an early release beta. 

If you think something is being missed, then now is absolutely the time to raise bugs threads, better to have multiple reports than nothing. 

10 hours ago, FrazT said:

Just to to restate something that is said every year at this stage.  The game that you are playing is the Beta and is out there to give users early access and to help to identify issues that can be addressed by the developers.  There will be issues that have already been reported and are being reviewed before the game launch, but there will also be some that have not been noted.  Please therefore, if you find a bug, by all means post in the feedback thread but also please post it in the Bug tracker and let the developers have a look.  It is better to have something brought up twice rather than not at all.   Thanks

Just going to quote this again, as seeing bits here which should be raised as bugs. 

Strange comment in the Champions League draw - my Zurich team are progressing the Champion's path rounds.  This comment appears to relate to teams in the current round, but is talking about them as if they are  contenders for winning the Champions League as a whole:

image.png.34a66104f0c37773b19bce0fc63fec68.png

1 hour ago, trevjim said:

I think the reason they have not touched set pieces is because if you give players too much freedom with it, the chances to find exploits increases. I think they are scared to touch it

That's surely not the reason. Who cares if players find exploits? They've even released an official in-game editor, so SI clearly don't care if people want to cheat to win.

27 minutes ago, tyro said:

My feedback/impressions after a couple of hours playing:

1) Match Engine (note for some: this does not mean graphics)

It is truly an improvement. The way the players move and stop and turn the other way, or shoot, or pass. It is a mix of more fluidity, more chaos, and sheer beauty of shots and passes and moves. Thumbs up.

How does the ME compare to FM 21? We need people to compare the better versions of the ME, as some people do believe that the FM21 ME is still top of the tree when it comes to realism and general play. 
Do the IF and Wingers behave even more like their real life reps than in FM21? How about pressing and defense compactness? 
How do the sweeper keepers compare on both the versions in question?

C’mon people, give us some more detailed reports. I know this is beta though, so there’s that too …

Just now, samuelawachie said:

How does the ME compare to FM 21? We need people to compare the better versions of the ME, as some people do believe that the FM21 ME is still top of the tree when it comes to realism and general play. 
Do the IF and Wingers behave even more like their real life reps than in FM21? How about pressing and defense compactness? 
How do the sweeper keepers compare on both the versions in question?

C’mon people, give us some more detailed reports. I know this is beta though, so there’s that too …

I haven't played enough for those details. I think Rashidi released a video on his impressions. 

I'm talking about the player movements, decisions, variety of things you see in the 3d game. The types of shots and tackles they now make. The quick stopping of a ball with their feet and turning around to pass to a team mate. The "dribbling" and then stopping and moving another way. It is much more fluid. Much more variety. Much more realistic to see. The impact on the actual game behind the scenes i cannot tell you yet after couple of hours of playing. 

12 minuti fa, b.sinisa ha scritto:

Will see if this year 532/343 works better then the 22 version, because i like to play that kind of style 

5-3-2 wb dm was my go to tactic in fm22, it worked wonders. This year, so and so

1 minute ago, TangoFM said:

82db603240570a5194f739c97432edf7.png

Are we not able to scout by Region anymore?

What's your nations available? I can scout regions , maybe your range isn't big enough to do any specific region 

Edited by nunch98
Replied too soon

2 minutes ago, tyro said:

I haven't played enough for those details. I think Rashidi released a video on his impressions. 

I'm talking about the player movements, decisions, variety of things you see in the 3d game. The types of shots and tackles they now make. The quick stopping of a ball with their feet and turning around to pass to a team mate. The "dribbling" and then stopping and moving another way. It is much more fluid. Much more variety. Much more realistic to see. The impact on the actual game behind the scenes i cannot tell you yet after couple of hours of playing. 

Well, those are good. But I was more specifically referring to the tactics of it. Do the guys that love to run with the ball every time in real life, do it? How are the tactics compared to FM21? What about the pressing and other tactical stuff.  Not really about the graphics of the 3D display match view 

16 minutes ago, rusty217 said:

That's surely not the reason. Who cares if players find exploits? They've even released an official in-game editor, so SI clearly don't care if people want to cheat to win.

SI fixed a corner routine a few years ago where your defender could get 30 goals a season just from set pieces. So they definitely care when that happens. If you had a "set piece creator" where it's completely blank and you can create literally anything, I guarantee someone will find an exploit where it's virtually a goal everytime there's a corner. It would be a massive headache for SI. 

20 minutes ago, Raymond85 said:

5-3-2 wb dm was my go to tactic in fm22, it worked wonders. This year, so and so

I didn't play a lot the new 23 manager to give a proper say but if works great :thup:

20 minutes ago, pedrosantos said:

I'm assigning scout tasks but I can't find the new task button :confused:

It’s a lot more fiddly now. It’s under recruitment focus I think (not online at the mo to clarify but it’s the one where it lists your scouts on the left hand side) at the moment. You click on each scout and set all your criteria and one of them is where to send them.

14 minutes ago, 2calvin said:

SI fixed a corner routine a few years ago where your defender could get 30 goals a season just from set pieces. So they definitely care when that happens. If you had a "set piece creator" where it's completely blank and you can create literally anything, I guarantee someone will find an exploit where it's virtually a goal everytime there's a corner. It would be a massive headache for SI. 

I don't mean they shouldn't bother fixing them, just that it shouldn't be a concern when it comes to a feature. A potential exploit that only a handful of people will even know exists definitely shouldn't be a reason not to include a feature many would enjoy. Most people won't know or care about any exploits, so why should SI avoid improving the game out of worry about the handful that do want to exploit it?

After some initial play now, it just feels like a reface of some previous features, very disappointing. ME some improvements have been made but still seeing things that haven't been fixed for years. Nothing new is making me play the game any different or think " Oh cool this is good". 

Every year I convince myself to buy it and disappointment continues. 

I can't find the resolution scaling slider that people are talking about in preferences. I have put all the key words in the preferences search but it doesn't come up with it. 

EDIT: This is called "Render Scaling" FYI. 

Edited by IrrelevantLion

12 hours ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

Strange message this...

image.png.e93509d7ae71a64146f6c0eb6eefea43.png

For context, the player is 34, and has spend the last 9 years with Brugge in Belgium....which is right next door to his home country of the Netherlands. 

image.png.3a2f583715653227ba0b44132b64e54f.png

I mean, Ilicic became homesick after spending 12 years in Italy which is next to Slovenia.

This isn't a bug but I've always disliked the way the game displays cup draws.

The fact that you can't expand the list of teams still in the draw at the bottom really annoys me. Ideally, I feel that it should have the cup draw in a main window and the teams still in the draw as a full panel on the left or right side so you can see like 30-40 teams left in the draw instead of just 4 teams left in the draw.

Any skin creators please read this and let me know if your skin has this. MANY THANKS.

8 ore fa, 2feet ha scritto:

But the description says the trap funnels the ball into wide areas.

It doesn't say they first block central passing lanes and then the ball is played wide and then the trap is set wide.

The trap has already been set and that is the reason the ball ends up going wide.

you are reading it wrong. 

a wide pressing trap - the opposition is invited to pass the ball wide which triggers the pressing trap. 

a central pressing trap - the opposition is invited to pass into the central corridor which triggers the pressing trap. 

Now that scouting assignments are gone and we have to set up recruitment focuses, it would be nice if there was a "Set up Recruitment Focus" button on the news item when you hire a new scout.

It would also be nice to have a "Set up Recruitment Focus" button on the scouts Scouting Assignments page.

3 hours ago, roykela said:

- Squad Planner: Won't use it. I don't need it. For me personally it's just a waste of time and space. Why is it not customisable though?

I think it has potential but after playing around with it some, I feel if it was reworked it could replace the Squad view. We need to be able to customise the views and have the ability to show all positions. At the end of the day the Squad screen is just a list of our current players, the Squad Planner has the framework on how really the Squad screen should be evolved to and not kept as separate entities.

I am also of the belief the Transfer Centre should really have a visual Transfer Planner and be more like the Wyscout Shadow Team. I want to visually see what new players I want to bring in, their expected costs and expected total costs.

xSSrrAO.png

12 hours ago, Troels Jensen said:

Inconsistent pronouns? Federico Valverde is both referred to as "him", "them" and "they".

image.thumb.png.40923de9e29e270d97558c965a0e3b2a.png

People working in UI... please... do you really think that this window is well designed? So well designed that it hasn't been changed since introduced 2 or 3 years ago?

7 hours ago, rusty217 said:

A bit disappointed to see AI transfer logic hasn't been improved. The top 2 transfers in my save were both only bought to be backups. PSG bought a Brazilian newgen for 105m and the majority of his games have been sub appearances. City splashed 129m on Moukoko just to have him as 2nd (or 3rd?) choice to Haaland. In 7 years at the club Moukoko has never started 10 or more games in a season (all competitions). It's just completely unrealistic to sign a backup player for 100m+. Even PSG and City with all their cash don't do that.

AI teams also still don't seem to recognise how much they paid for players. Flamengo bought a newgen for a massive 105m, he had 3 great seasons there and then they sold him to Tottenham for only 58m. That'd never happen IRL. A team wouldn't sell a player for half what they paid for him unless he was a flop (he had consistently high ratings), or he had gotten old (was only 26 when they sold him). Looking at Brazilian transfers it seems to be pretty common actually. Teams sell players for 1/2 or even 1/3 what they paid for them after just 1 or 2 seasons. They have the money for big transfers, but the players just being in Brazil means they don't value them highly enough and they end up just being bargains for other teams.

1 hour ago, IrrelevantLion said:

I can't find the resolution scaling slider that people are talking about in preferences. I have put all the key words in the preferences search but it doesn't come up with it. 

EDIT: This is called "Render Scaling" FYI. 

If you type in Ren in search Render Scale comes at the bottom.

47 minutes ago, GriffiN94 said:

Analysts report showing a picture of Chris Hughton randomly. He's managing Bolton and hasn't been at Cremonese

image.png.fca191c0e68e80d66a1c9543ba2713e0.png

Also why does it say they have a poor defensive record but are performing ‘above average’ in statistics? Fm is full of little contradictions and mixed messages like this. 

So some small observations, somethings I believe are bugs, some maybe not, so will discuss before submitting.

1) Match engine seems decent, although I do think so many goals are from turnovers and mistakes rather than outright cutting through teams

2) Now I do my own set piece routines, but noticed my top scorer was my CB scoring back post headers. Whether this is OP, or my tactic was just good. His heading isn't amazing but he does have 17 Jumping reach.

3) Board want to sack you instantly if you don't fulfil cup ambitions, however like previous years It doesn't take into account losing to bigger clubs. Board pre-match expect losses to Rangers and Celtic yet post match want to sack for not making it far enough.

4) Keeping a hold of players as a lower club is much harder with a lot more opting out of contracts way earlier, tbf I like this, much more realistic as smaller clubs have much more of a turnover and key players last 2-3 seasons most.

Anyone managed to get wingbacks in 352 to work like they do irl?

As in making them get all the way to the box and actually score goals.

For example if the cross is coming from the right side, to have LWB be on the far post and be in position for a shot if it gets to him.

Even with CWB-A and a player that has the preferred move to get forward, I've yet to even see a situation witch CWB getting all the way up into the box.

Or maybe I'm doing something wrong?

1 hour ago, craigcwwe said:

Flamengo bought a newgen for a massive 105m

You heard that right. No tycoon takeover or anything, they still have elections. They've just been splashing the cash though. Utterly dominant in Brazil too, they've won the Serie A 11 times in a row (it's loaded as a playable league too, so they're not just winning it based on rep!) and the Libertadores 5 times during that period too. He's not their only huge transfer either!

Here's the guy in question
20221022211121_1.thumb.jpg.4c193e221f68fc6414be7be9563df4a0.jpg

20221022211117_1.thumb.jpg.80ad1127ecc01e63225ba98a0d973bfb.jpg

And Kaiky, one of their other big signings that they also sold at a discounted price for seemingly no reason.20221022211623_1.thumb.jpg.2951191ba34a1a67a43a00057bbc9c6a.jpg

Edited by rusty217

The only thing I can say about the discounted price is maybe the players have told the manager they are opting out of their contracts and the club feel they need to cash in on them?

I watch a fair bit of Flamengo and they are usually up there in the league terms, next week is their 3rd copa lib final in a row.

They do spend a little ie Everton, Pedro etc but of course they don't spend to the lengths you've shown.

Though previously they've made money from Vini jr Pacqueta to name two. Maybe some of the current crop coming through could make money.

Also remember they have a lot of big name players at the end of their careers who would have been on good money that will of course retired and gave that up quickly. Diego Alves, Felipe Luis, Vidal and David Luiz to name a few. 

I was watching Zealand twitch stream doing his Sevilla save. I noticed that there hasn’t been any change with regards the interaction between player and manger. Communication quickly turned to anger which was very disappointing to see. Zealand though is great. Glad to hear also that the zealand skin will be made for fm23. 

What I hope is fixed for the full release: 

* Central play - there is lack of central play even if you set up your tactics for central play. 

* One on ones - they do not feel like better scoring opportunities then other types of chances created. Only other play which should have better rate of conversion than one on one is a tap in or a penalty but that is not the case in the ME, it feels like a long shot and one on one are almost the same difficulty shoot.

* Wobbly ball - I mean it's great that the ball can move/jump when a player tries to control it but it feels like there is only one animation of the ball wobbling.

Edited by FM1000

2 hours ago, Powermonger said:

I think it has potential but after playing around with it some, I feel if it was reworked it could replace the Squad view. We need to be able to customise the views and have the ability to show all positions. At the end of the day the Squad screen is just a list of our current players, the Squad Planner has the framework on how really the Squad screen should be evolved to and not kept as separate entities.

I am also of the belief the Transfer Centre should really have a visual Transfer Planner and be more like the Wyscout Shadow Team. I want to visually see what new players I want to bring in, their expected costs and expected total costs.

xSSrrAO.png

Now, this i could get behind. Squad planner being the squad screen, having it there clear as day; and customisable. 

12 minutes ago, FM1000 said:

What I hope is fixed for the full release: 

* Central play - there is lack of central play even if you set up your tactics for central play

* One on ones - they do not feel like better scoring opportunities then other types of chances created. Only other play which should have better rate of conversion than one on one is a tap in or a penalty but that is not the case in the ME, it feels like a long shot and one on one are almost the same difficulty shoot.

* Wobbly ball - I mean it's great that the ball can move/jump when a player tries to control it but it feels like there is only one animation of the ball wobbling.

Hard to agree with the bolded, i've seen a ton of central play including a lot of central through balls. There's a ton of this visible on various youtubers footage up so far as well.

Also I've seen more goals from rounding the keeper in 10 matches this years that 1000+ hours in the last couple.

1 hour ago, xray1324 said:

image.png.4e7b33529fbbf3a3d045e26cc9c9d9cb.png

1 match in and the fans already want me sacked??

That doesn't mean they want you sacked. They just angry about that match. If you go to club vision they will probably still like you (unless this is a string of bad results)

13 minutes ago, treble_yell_:-) said:

Hard to agree with the bolded, i've seen a ton of central play including a lot of central through balls. There's a ton of this visible on various youtubers footage up so far as well.

Also I've seen more goals from rounding the keeper in 10 matches this years that 1000+ hours in the last couple.

Could you post some pkms of games with a ton of central play and a lot of central through balls along the ground if you have them...tks dude