Do you start your main save during the beta?

I know many people hold off on their main saves during the beta period and play as a big team to test out and learn the new game in those couple weeks before the full game launches (I did it this year as well) but have you ever started your main long term save for the game cycle as soon as the beta drops?

And if so, have you had any problems before? My worst nightmare is starting a save at beta launch, getting 10+ years in and finding a save - ending bug from the beta. 

I don't start my long-term save until the final patch (when most databases are complete). That save will last me all spring and summer leading up to the fall release.

Beta Save - MLS

Release - My usual MAN U save

First Patch - Either MLS or Lower League (Depending if MLS has fixes)

Last patch - Long-term save with maxed database

Edited by Mars_Blackmon

Nope. There have been a few game breaking bugs in Betas over the past few years. It was in FM20 or FM21 maybe (somebody can confirm this I'm sure), where all Newgens were being produced with terrible hidden attributes so no Newgens for long term saves were usable tbh. This was a bug that required a new game restart.

I enjoy the beta as a way to have a fun 2/3 season save with a team to see the new features, but more importantly to give SI time to identify any gamebreakers and get them fixed in time for the full release update

Edited by BrightLad5

It depends. I often start my save in the beta and if I enjoy it I play it far into the cycle. A few years there has been issues, but very rarely I've had to abandon saves due to it. Most has been abandoned because I fancy something new.

10 hours ago, FelixForte said:

I don't think real name fixes etc are already available right? I usually do a beta save and then start a new save afterwards

That’s what would put me off starting my main save right away, I want the real name fixes. I think normally they come out a few days after beta release, so I may start my main save then

6 hours ago, bowieinspace said:

I've historically started my long term save on the beta and never had any game breaking issues from it fortunately. I'm just inpatient though I think doing a beta save is pretty sensible.

I hate beta saves in a way, I’m so desperate to get into my main save I don’t want to play a save for a season or two to start with, although as you say it is probably the sensible option 

1 hour ago, BrightLad5 said:

Nope. There have been a few game breaking bugs in Betas over the past few years. It was in FM20 or FM21 maybe (somebody can confirm this I'm sure), where all Newgens were being produced with terrible hidden attributes so no Newgens for long term saves were usable tbh. This was a bug that required a new game restart.

I enjoy the beta as a way to have a fun 2/3 season save with a team to see the new features, but more importantly to give SI time to identify any gamebreakers and get them fixed in time for the full release update

I remember that regen bug as well, thankfully I played a beta save that year. I’m  tempted to risk it this year to get maximum game time on the main save, but equally don’t want to be having to end it premature due to a bug

5 minutes ago, BoxToBoxFM said:

I remember that regen bug as well, thankfully I played a beta save that year. I’m  tempted to risk it this year to get maximum game time on the main save, but equally don’t want to be having to end it premature due to a bug

I started a Youth Academy Challenge that year... was gutted!

10 hours ago, Mars_Blackmon said:

I don't start my long-term save until the final patch (when most databases are complete). That save will last me all spring and summer leading up to the fall release.

Same, I don't start my main save until the game is final and then that runs until the new release 

Beta, I'm just messing around, trying out teams and players

1 hour ago, Johnny Ace said:

Same, I don't start my main save until the game is final and then that runs until the new release 

Beta, I'm just messing around, trying out teams and players

I'm exactly the same. It's sad we must wait until like April to finally start the long term save, but for me it's still better this way. I know the patches are compatible with existing saves, but I wouldn't like the idea that I've played my first seasons with bugs (before the last patch), and next seasons when the game is patched. It would feel like two different saves.

Nevertheless, I'm sure I will enjoy the game since the first day Beta is out. In BETA I will just check all the players, teams, see who got upgrades, create my own shortlists, etc. In short - just play around.

Then, when the game is released, I will start my first short-term save which will last until the first winter update is out (I will use a bigger team, perhaps Man City).

Then, after the winter update, I will start another short-term save, with a bit smaller team.

And finally, in April, I will start a couple of my long term saves - Journeyman, a proper Arsenal save, a save with Polish team, and I'll see what else.

No, because we will not have beta access on Xbox Game Pass (based on the replies here in the forum) and I have learnt the mistake previous year of buying it on Steam for just this 2 week early access :D . I will be patient this time and will only start complaining playing after the release on 8th Nov. 

But I will probably have 200 hours of twitch streams+youtube playthroughs watched for sure by that timee. 

14 minutes ago, marioNOW said:

No, because we will not have beta access on Xbox Game Pass (based on the replies here in the forum) and I have learnt the mistake previous year of buying it on Steam for just this 2 week early access :D . I will be patient this time and will only start complaining playing after the release on 8th Nov. 

But I will probably have 200 hours of twitch streams+youtube playthroughs watched for sure by that timee. 

I love all the videos and streams happening when the new game comes out, 90% of the time when I’m playing FM I’ve got some sort of FM content on my phone as well. I haven’t even pre ordered yet and wasn’t going to get the game from launch this year (love my current save too much) but it’s all the hype and excitement around the community that’s pretty much convinced me to pre order soon. 

1 hour ago, BayernMB said:

I always start my full game right after beta release. I think it was FM 2012 when the Beta save was my only save in that FM - managed over 100 seasons.

Sounds a brilliant save. I always try to get proper far into the future in my saves, but just don’t play quick enough

vor 12 Stunden schrieb BrightLad5:

This was a bug that required a new game restart.

I may be wrong but i think you are talking about FM20 and this bug didnt require a new save. Or to be precise they released a Hotfix 20.1.3 which required it but one day later with Hotfix 20.1.4 you could go on with your save. At least thats how i am recalling it.

Actually i dont think there was ever a real need to abandon the beta save but again i may be wrong.

No. I've never really encountered any game-breaking issues on the beta, but I won't start a long-term save until around January/February, just to be safe.

For the FM23 beta, I'll be managing Betis. No real targets, just get a feel of the new game and see how far I can take them in 3/4 seasons.

I used to start my long term save when the beta dropped, but that stopped in FM20 when my save game was corrupted after the official release. Therefore the last two editions, and the one coming up, I will have a short save on the beta before firing into the main save.

This year I will be picking a Champs League team (probably Brugge) just to see the fancy new UEFA graphics and cup draws, as it will be many years before I see it in my main save!!

10 minutes ago, busngabb said:

I continue playing the previous version I have until the initial explosion of anger and frustration at the bugs dies down, then get onto it, usually around transfer window time.

Not a bad shout that. To answer you’re game pass question, I’m not sure if it will as I don’t know much about the game pass side of things, although hopefully somebody reading this thread does. If I was to guess, I think it will stay? 

I usually don't have a long term save, my saves mostly last 2-3 seasons. Usually, Over the span of a year, I do 2 saves that do last for longer, but it's never more than 6-7 seasons.

Beta is mostly reserved for the club I support, just doing random bits, mostly trying out new features and tactics. But I don't mind starting a longer save during beta.

Edited by (sic)

On 18/10/2022 at 01:08, Mars_Blackmon said:

Beta Save - MLS

Release - My usual MAN U save

First Patch - Either MLS or Lower League (Depending if MLS has fixes)

Last patch - Long-term save with maxed database

I normally start the beta as Man United but not really seriously and I wait until the full release to do it properly as a new save. I also turn off transfers in the first window for some more added realism. Later on I'll go to Italy and manage AC Milan who I've always liked.

21 minutes ago, trekman said:

I normally start the beta as Man United but not really seriously and I wait until the full release to do it properly as a new save. I also turn off transfers in the first window for some more added realism. Later on I'll go to Italy and manage AC Milan who I've always liked.

I’m also going to be man United for the beta again as it’s who I support, will be interesting to see how good some of the players will be on the new game. As realism is normally a big part of my saves I might turn first window transfers off in that as well

4 minutes ago, BoxToBoxFM said:

I’m also going to be man United for the beta again as it’s who I support, will be interesting to see how good some of the players will be on the new game. As realism is normally a big part of my saves I might turn first window transfers off in that as well

I think the first player I'll get rid of is Fred even if he was good last night. I've never been a fan. I'd also like to see the back of Maguire but thats going to be a challenge considering the wages and transfer fee.

Depends on how the save goes to be honest, I've had some beta saves which I still play on earlier versions and others which just went no where. In FM22 just played around with the beta and it wasn't until mid July that I started a sav I could get to grips with. 

This time round going to see how things go and make a decision once the final version arrives.

On 17/10/2022 at 22:33, FelixForte said:

I don't think real name fixes etc are already available right? I usually do a beta save and then start a new save afterwards

There's one available right now. I'm not sure if i'm allowed to mention the site, especially as they're not sponsored anymore and have graphics etc.

Like the Beta itself the fix has a warning regarding mistakes etc.

On 20/10/2022 at 17:16, trekman said:

I think the first player I'll get rid of is Fred even if he was good last night. I've never been a fan. I'd also like to see the back of Maguire but thats going to be a challenge considering the wages and transfer fee.

I actually managed to move both Fred and AWB on. Brought in Denzil Dumfries who Man United are apparently interested in irl and a kid that a lot of people on youtube and a few people in here that have been suggesting called Andreas Schjelderup.

I normally start a beta save with to either recreate a tactic or just have fun. Since i stream its done mostly for tactical replication. I do my best not to start a long term save till the game is out proper. Reason: over the years I've learnt the hard way that sometimes there is a bit of a data update that also affects the long term development of players that you've already started out.

I really want to get cracking on a league 2 save, but not sure just yet due to reports on issues with players technical stats and anything else that might arise. 

Currently sinking bottles of Sol watching the Arsenal game, so will be hammered about 10pm and probably throw caution to the wind and just do it .

Edit: 16:01, yes I will now definitely be hammered.

Edited by KillYourIdols
Emotionally destroyed.

Always wait until full release until my main save. Play about with tactics and learn all the new features etc with the Beta. Then on full release load up my Logo's, Facepack's and Kits and begin the long journey of the main save, usually with Forest or Sheffield Wednesday. Haven't decided which yet.

I have no strong opinions about starting a major journeyman save in beta. It just rarely happens because 1) I'm finishing my prior FM save, 2) I'm downloading new packs and skins, 3) I might make mistakes with new features, and 4) I like exploring new lower divisions if any. Until these "conditions" are met, alpha might be out around the time I'm starting my first journeyman. 

Edited by phd_angel

On 18/10/2022 at 08:12, rusty217 said:

Nope. I don't even play the beta. Don't want to play the game until I've edited the world to my liking.

Looking forward to the beta just to see how things work and what things I want to change when the full game/editor releases.

This. I only play as a LLaMa (lower league manager) so I need the full version together with editor to be available, then editor geniuses to create lower league files for me to play. That should be around early 2023.

Edited by phnompenhandy

I always start my first save during the beta with the intention of carrying on. Sometimes easier said than done though, e.g. I got sacked yesterday after 5 games due to a bug with board expectations. I’m quite keen to go again with a proper save but the question I have is, will all fixes for bugs be save-game compatible? (With the exception of data fixes - I’m aware these require a new save).

Generally no. I mainly use the beta to play around with teams, tactics, skins. This will help give me a feel for the game as well as identify the team/leave I'm going to start in. 

I always try to do just the one long save over the year, so it's important that everything is as close to 'good' as possible before I start playing properly.

i intended to play my main save during the beta, but i stopped playing it due to frustrations about dribbling specially inside forwards and/or inverted wingers, they just dont attempt to do it just like in fm22, i kept playing my team from career mode in versus mode testing out different tactics, role combinations to somehow make those roles more agressive and actually cut inside by dribbling... but they rarely do it, even when testing tactics with PSG, neymar messi and mbappe they just run wide and dont try to dribble their way in, due to that, i stopped playing my main save until the problem gets properly addressed.

the problem it was reported by others in the bug tracker and is currently under review

I prefer to wait for that first patch, plus access to update a few extra competitions in the editor.

Lots and lots of little issues with balance or gameplay in the beta, plus it's hard to assess how big some issues are because hysteria kicks in among some of the FM populous and it's difficult to tell if something is "OMG! FML! REFUND! BROKEN! [insert other extreme overreactions here]", or just needs a tweak with the help of examples, save games and feedback.

Edited by CoffeeFueledCurmudgeon