Match 51 THE FINAL: Italy vs England - 8pm Sunday BBC1 AND ITV1 LIVE FROM WEMBLEY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Lermon said:

I think England have a strong team to go in the World Cup but will be surprised if they get anywhere near as far. We have had kind of home advantage. But will be cool watching the World Cup in 12 months time.

12 months?? Are you sure about that?

4 minutes ago, Weezer said:

2nd place in a major tournament is still a massive achievement. Especially when you consider where Phillips was 12 months ago. They can wear them with pride. Better than immediately ripping them off like petulant children.

Kinda telling when you look back at the players who bothered keeping the medals on

1 minute ago, Lermon said:

I think England have a strong team to go in the World Cup but will be surprised if they get anywhere near as far. We have had kind of home advantage. But will be cool watching the World Cup in 18 months time.

Winter World cup

Ah I'm really annoyed at the likes of Sterling and Grealish. Shirked responsibility when they were needed the most.

I also hate bringing on players just to take pens. It's dumb and I'm sure it doesn't work more often than not.

Southgate managed the game horribly, you can tell Mancini is the better manager with the better group of players.

2 minutes ago, Heartwork said:

I hope that today will be the lesson he needed. There's no way he won't be told a million times this summer that he needs to get better at using his subs and one can only hope he actually listens. Ignore all the scapegoating though.

Agreed, I doubted Southgate at the start of the tournament but he did most things right, however in your final it was screaming for some subs in the second half and especially full time - he’s definitely the man for the job and I’m sure he’ll learn from this

3 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

They can wear or not wear them however they like imo. Sure second won't feel like much consolation to Saka right now

Completely agree. Don’t get the issue. If they wear them or not, they’d probably get criticised anyway. So many snow flakes who get offended at everything here.

i

11 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Btw, do people still think Donnarumma is going to fight for the starting spot with Navas? :D

The next all-time great, it's just ridiculous how good Italy is at producing goalkeepers.

Literally one all-time great after another, perfect timing. With a dozen more top class keepers inbetween.

Lets just wait and see, far too early to tell.

..."top class keepers".... Who exactly apart from Zoff and Buffon? I can´t recall any. And spare me the names of flycatcher Zenga or even Toldo

Edited by Carambau

14 minutes ago, aggressive minor said:

Oh bore off 

Bore off for what? :D I'm hardly in the habit of defending Arsenal players.

I know Sterling is beyond any form of criticism but he's bottled it and hid from the responsibility that he should be taking as a senior player. Grealish as well to a lesser extent.

Edited by brett.spurs

Just now, Carambau said:

..."all-time greats".... Who exactly apart from Zoff and Buffon? I can´t recall any. And spare me the names of flycatcher Zenga or even Toldo

Zoff-Zenga-Pagliuca-Buffon

Zenga was easily the best keeper in late 80s and early 90s, then came Pagliuca and obviously Buffon.

Without the injury, Spinazzola easily gets into my Best XI. As it is, I'd probably have Shaw at LB ahead of him.

But to touch on GunmaN's point, such a serious injury at 28 is a major momentum-killer. Even with the World Cup only 18 months away, I suspect Spinazzola might only be a one-tournament wonder. A real shame if it is.

3 minutes ago, Synthahols_for_Girls said:

Rashford to be rightly cunted for this
You expect a GK to guess right roughly 50% of the time, 
knock off 10% or so for a worldey and a keeper should expect to save 2 out of the 5 in a pen shootout

Both keepers managed this and you cant argue with an honest penalty where the keeper guesses right

Difference was Rashford decided to play johnny big bollox on his run up and then proceeded to twit his shot against the post 

He's actually got a very good penalty record doing it. 

And your stats are also made up nonsense

Top post

Btw, Grealish shouldn't be allowed to wear socks in Totti style anymore if he's afraid to take pens.

Just now, themadsheep2001 said:

He's actually got a very good penalty record doing it. 

And your stats are also made up nonsense

Top post

Both him and Belotti are great takers, but took way too long on the run up and then got in their own heads.

Sancho and Saka just looked like players who didn't even want to take a pen.

Edited by GunmaN1905

26 minutes ago, metal_guitarist said:

That is solely on Southgate. ***** subs, ****ing coward. 

:applause:

Kane was absolutely terrible after the first half, he's our captain and offered absolutely nothing.

I thought I'd be more gutted but I'm more angry at Southgate.  His subs and our 2nd half tactics/performance were just so poor.  Both their CBs were on yellow cards yet he doesn't bring on players to exploit it.  Why the heck did be bring on Saka over Sancho, why leave it so late for Grealish.

It's been fun but my word did we bollock this up.

Sadly, Italy deserved it.

1 minute ago, brett.spurs said:

I know Sterling is beyond any form of criticism but he's bottled it and hid from the responsibility that he should be taking as a senior player. Grealish as well to a lesser extent.

Southgate came out and said "I chose the players to take penalties" so I don't think anyone can have a go at Sterling if he wasn't picked

Just now, EnterUsernameHere said:

What? He did ok when he came on, didn't really carry England to a win but they weren't winning when he came on either so I'm not sure why you'd pick him out?

Grealish should've got more play time

at least he brought some excitement in the team

10 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

They can wear or not wear them however they like imo.

True, but I'd rather they at least waited until they got off the podium. It looks pathetic and disrespectful when they rip it off the second it's put on them. And what does it change, does pulling it off immediately make you forget you've just lost a final? I just find it weird how keen they are to rip it off, like they're doing it for show.

3 minutes ago, brett.spurs said:

Yeah I agree. Really disappointed in the likes of Sterling for not stepping up.

1 minute ago, EnterUsernameHere said:

What? He did ok when he came on, didn't really carry England to a win but they weren't winning when he came on either so I'm not sure why you'd pick him out?

He was ok, sure. But the hype all tournament has been that he's this wonderful game changer who is amazing at everything. 

Just now, GunmaN1905 said:

Zoff-Zenga-Pagliuca-Buffon

Zenga was easily the best keeper in late 80s and early 90s, then came Pagliuca and obviously Buffon.

Zenga...lol. Dassajev, Taffarel, Schmeichel, Preudhomme were the big ones at that time, no place for flycatcher Zenga...

5 minutes ago, Carambau said:

..."top class keepers".... Who exactly apart from Zoff and Buffon? I can´t recall any. And spare me the names of flycatcher Zenga or even Toldo

Pagliuca, Peruzzi... both very good keepers.

Just now, ajw10 said:

Yeah I agree. Really disappointed in the likes of Sterling for not stepping up.

He was ok, sure. But the hype all tournament has been that he's this wonderful game changer who is amazing at everything. 

He wasn't a game changer at all. In fairness to those (myself included) though, people thought he should have started. Coming off the bench is a different thing altogether.

The gammon will be going off it tonight - kudos to the young lads who showed guts to come forwards and take their pens, but the pens themselves were poor. England got their tactics wrong from the 2nd half - Southgate (like Bruce does) dropped England onto the edge of our 18 yard box and defended from there. It's asking for trouble. :(

Feel sorry for Rashford, Sterling and Saka who will doubtlessly now be the target for lots of vile racist abuse. They and the rest can hold their heads high - making the final is a terrific achievement. It just wasn't to be in the end.

Well done Italy - best team won.

Just now, sedge11 said:

Kane didn’t have a single shot tonight, what does that say about how we played, and how well Bonucci and Chiellini controlled us.

all depends on the role he was assigned to by Southgate

3 minutes ago, Weezer said:

True, but I'd rather they at least waited until they got off the podium. It looks pathetic and disrespectful when they rip it off the second it's put on them. And what does it change, does pulling it off immediately make you forget you've just lost a final? I just find it weird how keen they are to rip it off, like they're doing it for show.

Done a few interviews with players after losing. Remember it being described as a millstone round their neck. Can tell you know they absolutely aren't thinking about what's round them. I'm not gonna judge any player's reaction to losing. Whatever we feel, it'll be infinitely worse for them

1 minute ago, Big Geordie said:

The gammon will be going off it tonight - kudos to the young lads who showed guts to come forwards and take their pens, but the pens themselves were poor. England got their tactics wrong from the 2nd half - Southgate (like Bruce does) dropped England onto the edge of our 18 yard box and defended from there. It's asking for trouble. :(

Feel sorry for Rashford, Sterling and Saka who will doubtlessly now be the target for lots of vile racist abuse. They and the rest can hold their heads high - making the final is a terrific achievement. It just wasn't to be in the end.

Well done Italy - best team won.

**** off you ****