Match 51 THE FINAL: Italy vs England - 8pm Sunday BBC1 AND ITV1 LIVE FROM WEMBLEY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 minute ago, grff said:

The footage posted in most places is before the game (still daylight coming through the windows). Those getting a hiding were the ones without tickets trying to get through a disabled entrance.

I mean, when it happened isn't exactly the part of the story you should be focussing on here.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gutted for Southgate too. What a story that would've been. The ultimate redemption.

Instead another loss on penalties in the national stadium 25 years on.

Football is a cruel game and penalties are the worst.

Edited by craigcwwe

4 minutes ago, Baptista_8 said:

I think I know Grealish's character a little more than you. Absolutely no chance he would have 'bottled' it, as you love to say. People blaming him, Sterling and co for Saka having to take one is laughable. Not just the blaming, but the assumptions people are making about it.

My theory is that his knee injury was starting to play up once the adrenaline of runnign around had gone. Taking a pen in a cup final is bad enough without having to do it when your knee's gone.

Just now, themadsheep2001 said:

The penalities are a side issue at any rate. Should never have got to that 

Agree, just amazes me the assumptions people make and are adamant they're correct about it. Like you say, they have no idea what goes on in training. Baffling.

Just now, Ackter said:

I mean, when it happened isn't exactly the part of the story you should be focussing on here.

I was clarifying the situation for you. 

Arsenal bias here, but this was too harsh on Saka.

If no one else stood up and it was down to him, then shame on his teammates for letting the responsibility fall to a teenager who has never taken a penalty in a professional match. Mbappe who is several years older and a World Cup winner folded under the pressure of taking a decisive penalty, how was Saka going to fair?

Doesn't detract from the fact that A) Missing 3 penalties in a row is death and B) Southgate managed this game horrendously bad. Parked the bus after the first goal. 

1 minute ago, Heartwork said:

My theory is that his knee injury was starting to play up once the adrenaline of runnign around had gone. Taking a pen in a cup final is bad enough without having to do it when your knee's gone.

Pfft. Shearer scored a penalty in his own testimonial while basically on crutches :brock: 

4 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

Jesus man, you are a tedious ****ing bore. Nobody in here is going to condone it. We all abhor it, this isn’t Facebook, you aren’t going to trip up any closet racists with your embedded tweets and your pithy one-liners. 

But Christ alive, you don’t always need to be quite so sanctimonious. So eager to disapprove at the top of your voice to validate your own weird sense of self. So desperate to ram your outrage down everyone’s throats. Rocking up at full time with your politics and completely hijacking a discussion about the match itself.

You really are a strange strange man.

I share my opinions and won't be shouted down by some ringpiece like you. If I'm outta line, a mod will pull/ban me.

People are so keen to make heroes and villains out of everyone when the simple answer is likely that people made misjudgements in high pressure situations. 

People falling got Gunmans **** baits are idiots though :lol: it's clear he's just going full Katie Hopkins to get a response. 

Just now, VamPook said:

Wait, whats the argument about now?

Surely if Grealish is so sure he won't bottle penalties, he would step up and take one?

Who's to say he turned it down? He presumably was number 6/7 (alongside Sterling), maybe Saka is just a better penalty taker off what we've seen in training - why is this such an alien concept.  I don't see why this has to be made an issue of why another player should take a penalty because he's only 19.

If Henderson was on the pitch, who's calling for him to be taking a penalty? He's got a better conversion rate than Sterling and Grealish btw.

1 minute ago, InigoPatinkin said:

it's clear he's just going full Katie Hopkins to get a response. 

You know I'm not British and you make me google names. :mad:

1 minute ago, Bootador said:

just a better penalty taker off what we've seen in training

Training penalties doesn't translate, imo.

80k in the stadium, shooting in training is meaningless.

Edited by GunmaN1905

2 minutes ago, Big Geordie said:

I share my opinions and won't be shouted down by some ringpiece like you. If I'm outta line, a mod will pull/ban me.

Well pack it in, sharpish. It's not actually bringing anything to the discussion other than managing to **** people off more than they already are. Which takes some doing right now

1 minute ago, GunmaN1905 said:

You know I'm not British and you make me google names. :mad:

And the senior players you've suggested take the penalty have been proven failures (from a small sample size) from the spot. So do we go for the proven failure, or the untested player who is technically better?

1 minute ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Well yes but that's a stupid thing to say isn't it? According to this dumb logic, all he can go off then is penalties taken by players in front of 80k crowds. As posted by someone a page or two back, hardly any of our players have taken a single senior penalty!

So if he's not going off training, what is he supposed to go off?

Still feeling a bit down, but it's all slowly sinking in now. We've done tremendously to get through to the Final, and then take the strongest, most consistent team in the tournament all the way to penalties.

The trophy might not have come home, but I believe that football has come home. Over the last three years, we have fallen back in love with an England team that can rightly call itself one of the best in the world. The progress that has been made since Iceland.

I still believe Southgate cost us this Final, or at least the chance to win it inside 120 minutes. Our most attacking subs came too late to make any real impact, and he maybe left Mount on for too long when he was clearly struggling. And as much as I commend Saka for stepping up to take penalty #5, if I were Southgate, I would've put my foot down and insisted that a more experienced player take it.

But Southgate is still the right man to lead us to Qatar. He respects his players (and vice versa), he conductd himself brilliantly, and he has some solid gameplans that get results. I just hope he'd show a bit more attacking courage from time to time, and take more risks for greater rewards.

I'm sure this England team will continue to challenge for honours over the next few years. Maybe this will be the generation that delivers a trophy. 56 years of hurt will never stop me dreaming.

I've loved sharing this Euros experience with y'all, and I look forward to more next year - not just for Qatar, but also for Euro 2022, when women's football come home. (And maybe I'll meet some of you again even sooner. I hear there's something happening in Tokyo later this month. ;))

Going to post 2 things.

The Football 

The mistake Southgate made was not bringing on Grealish for Mount sooner, especially in the 60th min when Italy was all over us.  Also thought it was a bad move to bring on Saka for Tippier. Never been fan of Saka and really don't know what he offers.  Sancho would have been a better player to play that right wing. Someone who could carry the ball forward and run at people. 

Thought Italy deserves it.

England as a nation.

Typical racist Brits, the disgusting filth being said about Sancho, Saka and Rashford on social media at the moment is vile and disgusting. Only last week Sterling was billed as a hero the way hes played and now the abuse he and 3 lads who missed pens are disgusting and very typical of the culture in this country. 

2 minutes ago, Bootador said:

And the senior players you've suggested take the penalty have been proven failures (from a small sample size) from the spot. So do we go for the proven failure, or the untested player who is technically better?

Who was a proven failure? Only Sterling?

We have different opinion and we're just going in circles.

Don't want to pile on your mysery anymore, I've said my bit.

Mancini got the absolute maximum out of this team, lots of important players were missing.

Southgate had a full Wembley, first minute lead and a better overall team at his disposal and made you look like Scotland.

You didn't deserve the win just because of literally not making a single shot in regular time after you took the lead.

1 minute ago, Baptista_8 said:

So if he's not going off training, what is he supposed to go off?

To quote Spalletti, uomini forti, destini forti.

Does it need translating? Uomini means men, the rest should be obvious.

Your players weren't up to the occasion I guess.

That would be it from me tonight, as I said, I honestly think England should've won this.
At 1-0 it looked like it's going to be a battering, atmosphere was amazing, but yet again you end up looking like the eternal bottlers.

Just now, GunmaN1905 said:

Who was a proven failure? Only Sterling?

We have different opinion and we're just going in circles.

Don't want to pile on your mysery anymore, I've said my bit.

Mancini got the absolute maximum out of this team, lots of important players were missing.

Southgate had a full Wembley, first minute lead and a better overall team at his disposal and made you look like Scotland.

You didn't deserve the win just because of literally not making a single shot in regular time after you took the lead.

To quote Spalletti, uomini forti, destini forti.

Does it need translating? Uomini means men, the rest should be obvious.

Your players weren't up to the occasion I guess.

That would be it from me tonight, as I said, I honestly think England should've won this.

At 1-0 it looked like it's going to be a battering, atmosphere was amazing, but yet again you end up looking like the eternal bottlers.

Your reply to me is nothing to do with what we were discussing though :D

People calling it terrible penalties is another thing

You can say it for Rashford maybe since he does the stupid run up and still hits it against the post

Sancho and Saka, if keeper went the other way, no one would have said a thing

Just now, Baptista_8 said:

Your reply to me is nothing to do with what we were discussing though :D

I said, we have different opinion and we're going in circles.

If I was an England supporter, this loss would be on Southgate for cowardly tactics.

And on older players who were scared to take a pen after that.

Idk what else can I add, we disagree and that's it. Maybe you're right, maybe I am. We can't know.

19 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

There's been a lot of that from defenders. No thinking, just pick your spot and smash it hard

Recall Stam doing that and nearly taking the stadium roof out once :D

Problem with a thunderbastard is if slightly overcook it it's off target and if you undercook it it's a "nice height for the keeper" who can see where it's going. Though it's not as bad as not even looking at the ball when you completely change your mind about the penalty like Rashford 

21 minutes ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

OK some bad takes in here about penalties. I guess you guys think putting in golf is a complete lottery.

tbh if golf's tie breaker was a putt-off where they both had repeated relatively straightforward 12 foot putts until someone misses with a guy waggling the flag to put them off I don't think many players renowned for their ability to read greens would feel it was a proper test of their skill. Two Italians and an Englishman noted for being good at penalties missed, an Italian famed for missing decisive spot kicks and Harry Maguire scored. That shouldn't take away from Italy being the best team in the tournament, but it wasn't the penalties that showed that.

1 minute ago, VamPook said:

You can say it for Rashford maybe since he does the stupid run up and still hits it against the post

Both were positioned badly imo. You either go straight down the centre or aim for the sides - kicking the ball half way to one side is always getting saved.

1 minute ago, VamPook said:

Rashford at least sent the keeper the wrong way in fairness, Donnaruma didn't guess for Sancho and Saka, they were just poorly struck at a nice height. 

3 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

I said, we have different opinion and we're going in circles.

If I was an England supporter, this loss would be on Southgate for cowardly tactics.

And on older players who were scared to take a pen after that.

Idk what else can I add, we disagree and that's it. Maybe you're right, maybe I am. We can't know.

Yeah, let's leave it at that.

Still delighted for Mancini, incredible turnaround for Italy - not even qualifying for World Cup 2018 to this. :applause:

Edited by Bootador

5 minutes ago, Big Geordie said:

He's acting like rectum. Is that better?

I mean once more BG and hopefully it sinks in.

Some of us have waited 25 years for tonight. Basically would like to talk about the football match and not the politics. You don’t need to barge in yet again with your tweets and your memes, trying to score some kind of victory over the Tories which basically only exists in your own head.

It’s weird that you can spend half your life on here and yet still misjudge the mood so spectacularly.

1 minute ago, InigoPatinkin said:

Rashford at least sent the keeper the wrong way in fairness, Donnaruma didn't guess for Sancho and Saka, they were just poorly struck at a nice height. 

I dunno, I kinda remember the slow motion replay, you can see Donnarumma already starts diving to his left while Saka is doing his run up before connecting with the ball

17 minutes ago, Deltaroad said:

Going to post 2 things.

The Football 

The mistake Southgate made was not bringing on Grealish for Mount sooner, especially in the 60th min when Italy was all over us.  Also thought it was a bad move to bring on Saka for Tippier. Never been fan of Saka and really don't know what he offers.  Sancho would have been a better player to play that right wing. Someone who could carry the ball forward and run at people. 

Thought Italy deserves it.

England as a nation.

Typical racist Brits, the disgusting filth being said about Sancho, Saka and Rashford on social media at the moment is vile and disgusting. Only last week Sterling was billed as a hero the way hes played and now the abuse he and 3 lads who missed pens are disgusting and very typical of the culture in this country. 

Hate to go mega defensive, but what is this? :D