Match 51 THE FINAL: Italy vs England - 8pm Sunday BBC1 AND ITV1 LIVE FROM WEMBLEY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 minutes ago, ajw10 said:

I really do think that this kind of sub backfires more than it works.

Sancho's penalty was awful as well, him and Rashford back to back felt a poor choice in hindsight as well given they were brought on especially for penalties. JustĀ ramps up the pressure on Sancho when Rashford misses especially just before him, minor details etc. but these things matter.

Edited by Bootador

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Bootador said:

Sancho's penalty was awful as well, him and Rashford back to back felt a poor choice in hindsight as well given they were brought on especially for penalties. Jump ramps up the pressure on Sancho when Rashford misses especially just before him, minor details etc. but these things matter.

I know pressure does funny things, but I can't believe how bad Sancho's penalty was. Like is that what's been doing in training that impressed Southgate?

Just now, Bootador said:

Sancho's penalty was awful as well, him and Rashford back to back felt a poor choice in hindsight as well given they were brought on especially for penalties. JustĀ ramps up the pressure on Sancho when Rashford misses especially just before him, minor details etc. but these things matter.

yeah absolutely. Southgate overthought it, whereas Mancini placed full trust in the players.Ā 

Just now, Coulthard's Jaw said:

OK some bad takes in here about penalties. I guess you guys think putting in golf is a complete lottery.

No of course not, there are lots of players better at taking penalties than others just like those who are better at putting in golf than others with poor short game.Ā  I still think there's more of a lottery aspect to it in penalties in football though, with more variables in a penalty than say in a golfer on the green.Ā  We shouldn't have had some of those taking the pens tonight, but if they say they're up for it and have previous form of taking pens then I don't disagree with them taking one or the manager putting them in for one.Ā  Saka 5th was a travesty though and I feel for the poor kid.

Just now, Bootador said:

Something like Rashford, Maguire, Saka, Sancho, Kane would have been a better order.

Best takers 1 & 5, Rashford and Sancho spaced out.

I'll be honest, if you had told me pre tournament that would be the five taking penalties for us I would have been scared.

Just now, Bootador said:

Something like Rashford, Maguire, Saka, Sancho, Kane would have been a better order.

Best takers 1 & 5, Rashford and Sancho spaced out.

best taker should be third, not fifth. Maguire fifth because of his personality, he can take missing.

I think this sums up what annoys me :lol:

Heck, I'm glad I got to see us in a major tournament final and it's a day/game I'll always remember, I'm proud of our team and hopefully it long continues.Ā  We have some cracking young players and hopefully this experience will help out Southgate and we can win the World Cup next year instead :lol:.

Just now, ajw10 said:

best taker should be third, not fifth. Maguire fifth because of his personality, he can take missing.

For comparison, Berardi and Belotti are great takers, taking pens for their club for years.

Bernardeschi is also good, obviously doesn't take them for Juventus.

Bonucci always stepped up in the shootouts and has a good record.

Jorginho, you know him.

7 minutes ago, Bootador said:

You do have to question the bringing on with 1 minute to go. When's the last time Rashford/Sancho kicked a ball? In the warm up at the start of the game (apart from Rashford's tackle)?Ā Can't be ideal prep.

Honestly don't think this matters in the slightest. They're taking penalties, it's just an excuse to beat managers with because they missed. Fergie brought on Anderson and Nani in a Champions League final with barely a kick left to take penalties.Ā 

It's a squad of 25, some aren't going to play much and are going to be called up to take penalties because they're good at them. That's tournament football. They don't need any excuses made for them, tournament football is cruel sometimes and it's on them to bounce back.Ā 

1 hour ago, GunmaN1905 said:

If I was Sterling, Grealish or Shaw I wouldn't be able to live with myself.

How can you bloody allow a 19 year old kid to shoot the 5th penalty in such game?

I wanted England to lose and I'm uspet at how awful this is compared to the actual potential of this team. :lol:

@GunmaN1905Ā Don't make such stupid assumptions. Grealish even said the other day in an interview that he would be happy to take one as he loves the pressure.

Just now, VamPook said:

By here do you mean the thread or the forum?

both? The vast majority on this forum are not racist and fully understand that racially abusing black footballers online is abhorrent.

Ā 

1 minute ago, Baptista_8 said:

@GunmaN1905Ā Don't make such stupid assumptions. Grealish even said the other day in an interview that he would be happy to take one as he loves the pressure.

I know you're defending your guy, but cmon.

What should've Gareth said? That some of them didn't want to take the penalty? What kind of coach would blame the players here?

For example Berardi didn't want to take one against Spain, despite taking them his entire career on club level.

Just now, GunmaN1905 said:

What should've Gareth said? That some of them didn't want to take the penalty? What kind of coach would blame the players here?

For example Berardi didn't want to take one against Spain, despite taking them his entire career on club level.

Do you know any different though? At the end of the day we don't actually know how the choice was made

So people have barely finished leaving the stadium and there's already footage going around of English fans beating up random kids and asian people.Ā 

England need an international ban again - did it work last time?

Just now, Bootador said:

I think what we're all in agreement is we can't blame Sterling, because that would be racist... but **** Jack Grealish and his stupid hair not taking penalties.

The Sun's headline tomorrow will 100% be about how Sterling threw the kids into the fire instead of taking one himself.

Just now, EnterUsernameHere said:

Btw, even taking out any emotional attachment to who won, that's the best Euros of my lifetime. Feeling a bit sad it's over now...

I usually don't catch internationals besides supporting the underachievers, but I managed to catch almost every game for this one(except for a couple where I fell asleep)

Think at least 80% of the matches were entertaining šŸ‘

1 minute ago, GunmaN1905 said:

I think I know Grealish's character a little more than you. Absolutely no chance he would have 'bottled' it, as you love to say. People blaming him, Sterling and co for Saka having to take one is laughable. Not just the blaming, but the assumptions people are making about it.

Just now, PaulHartman71 said:

Realistically Shaw, Grealish or Sterling should be taking a penalty over Saka or Ā Maguire.Ā 
Ā 

You have to back Maguire for stepping up and taking the second one. Whenā€™s he ever taken one in his life ffs :DĀ 

Maguire been robbed of about 20 career goals already at Leicester/United.

Just now, themadsheep2001 said:

Do you know any different though? At the end of the day we don't actually know how the choice was made

I suppose you're right.

Coach usually asks the players who's ready to take one. Some coaches force players who don't want to take pens to do it, others don't.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I just can't see Southgate telling Grealish he's not taking one if he said he was ready.

1 minute ago, EnterUsernameHere said:

Btw, even taking out any emotional attachment to who won, that's the best Euros of my lifetime. Feeling a bit sad it's over now...

It would be up there if there were fans. Like this, not so much. At least last 3 games had good atmosphere.

Just now, themadsheep2001 said:

There's no way Southgate picked 5 players and refused to take into account how they were feeling.

Put it this way, if he decided that Saka was to take the fifth, whilst Sterling and Grealish are willing to take one, then that is genuinely horrendous management. I hate using the word negligent when it comes to football, but that's as close as you can get.

Ā 

3 minutes ago, EnterUsernameHere said:

Ā 

Some amazing games. The knockout stages were brilliant.Ā 

The evening of Spain/Croatia and France/Switzerland was probably the best day of football I've ever seen.

Just now, Baptista_8 said:

I think I know Grealish's character a little more than you. Absolutely no chance he would have 'bottled' it, as you love to say. People blaming him, Sterling and co for Saka having to take one is laughable. Not just the blaming, but the assumptions people are making about it.

so elite footballer Grealish was told by Southgate that a 19 year old was taking a penalty instead? This is impressive, even by your standards

Just now, Ackter said:

Why are you backing Magquire for taking one but not backing Saka taking one?

A 19 year old without a single penalty taken in his career taking a pen in a game like this is just bad coaching.

Him being the fifth taker makes it exponentially worse.

1 minute ago, Ackter said:

So people have barely finished leaving the stadium and there's already footage going around of English fans beating up random kids and asian people.Ā 

England need an international ban again - did it work last time?

The footage posted in most places is before the game (still daylight coming through the windows). Those getting a hiding were the ones without tickets trying to get through a disabled entrance.

2 minutes ago, PaulHartman71 said:

Realistically Shaw, Grealish or Sterling should be taking a penalty over Saka or Ā Maguire.Ā 
Ā 

You have to back Maguire for stepping up and taking the second one. Whenā€™s he ever taken one in his life ffs :DĀ 

The first penalty in the Nations League 3rd PlaceĀ shootout against Switzerland.

1 minute ago, GunmaN1905 said:

I suppose you're right.

Coach usually asks the players who's ready to take one. Some coaches force players who don't want to take pens to do it, others don't.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I just can't see Southgate telling Grealish he's not taking one if he said he was ready.

It would be up there if there were fans. Like this, not so much. At least last 3 games had good atmosphere.

Don't agree with the selections myself, but I have nothing to argue against what he said and what's been happening in training

12 minutes ago, Big Geordie said:

I disagree - it needs to be highlighted.

Jesus man, you are a tedious ****ing bore. Nobody in here is going to condone it. We all abhor it, this isnā€™tĀ Facebook, you arenā€™t going to trip upĀ any closet racists with your embedded tweets and yourĀ pithy one-liners.Ā 

But Christ alive,Ā you donā€™t always need to be quite so sanctimonious. SoĀ eagerĀ toĀ disapproveĀ at the top of your voice to validate your own weird sense of self.Ā So desperateĀ toĀ ram your outrageĀ down everyoneā€™s throats. Rocking up at full time with your politics and completely hijacking a discussion about the matchĀ itself.

You really are a strange strange man.

1 minute ago, ajw10 said:

so elite footballer Grealish was told by Southgate that a 19 year old was taking a penalty instead? This is impressive, even by your standards

Yes. Just like he was told he was coming on before him, and why he started more Euros games than him. Have you been in training watching them take pens? And 'by your standards' - don't be a dick about it.