Match 51 THE FINAL: Italy vs England - 8pm Sunday BBC1 AND ITV1 LIVE FROM WEMBLEY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just now, Pompeyboyz said:

I just know there will be a lot of people doing the opposite, but this needs to be said still. 

Who is this 'advice' for? :D 

Is the type of person that racially abuses people suddenly going to stop and think "oh, maybe I shouldn't do that"?

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

Sterling isn't good at penalties :D Have no problem with him not taking one, but it probably means leaving him on for the full 120 minutes was a mistake. Should have used our subs properly and gone for the win.

Yeah I assumed he was going to come off for Rashford for the pens.

I was quite confident for the pens as I thought we had a few on there who could score but then they ddin't step up :D

2 minutes ago, EnterUsernameHere said:

He wasn't a game changer at all. In fairness to those (myself included) though, people thought he should have started. Coming off the bench is a different thing altogether.

I think my issue is that he plays up to the adulation from the fans but won't step up when needed.

Italy have been the the best team the entire tournament, theres been a couple of roller coaster moments in games but theyve come through them. They fully deserved their win tonight,

England have played a decent tournament and can take solace that theyve performed more as a team than they have for many a tournament.

1 minute ago, skybluedave said:

Yeah I assumed he was going to come off for Rashford for the pens.

I was quite confident for the pens as I thought we had a few on there who could score but then they ddin't step up :D

I was convinced that Stones would step up

You know who did frighten me every time he dribbled at our defence? Federico Chiesa. Great player, felt the game slowed down a bit after he came off and there was an opportunity for England to be more attacking when he came off injured that we did not take.

Just now, CFuller said:

0FA9C5E8-00AD-4C32-8176-DB73B47455A1.jpeg.e3fa7c37c726349c090e93ae8200b4fa.jpeg

This says a lot about certain sections of our fanbase.

It tells me that 16.6k people cannot spell more than anything.

Absolutely gutted for Saka, such a good player and it takes courage to take the 5th penalty. Feel for the England lads, they're a good side and will be for years to come. 

Not gutted for the pundits and media nonsense that surrounds them however. 

Gutted.

We've done so well and much to build on in the future though. Team can be so proud though. This is the best and most enjoyable England side I've ever seen.

Worse possible to lose though with 3 persons of colour missing. I dread the racist abuse that is almost certainly coming Rashford Saka and Sanchos way in social media. :(

Rashford should have came on for Sterling at start of ET. Was an obvious proactive sub to get the momentum on our side. To leave it till the final minute is just proper weird, basically said from Gareth that he’d rather have pens then risk losing it in extra time, which I can never get on board with when you eventually lose the shootout.

1 minute ago, ajw10 said:

I think my issue is that he plays up to the adulation from the fans but won't step up when needed.

Yeah maybe. I'm still convinced he should be played ahead of Mount but the tournament is over now, so I'll let it go.

Just now, av3ry said:

You know who did frighten me every time he dribbled at our defence? Federico Chiesa. Great player, felt the game slowed down a bit after he came off and there was an opportunity for England to be more attacking when he came off injured that we did not take.

Chiesa was incredible. I'd absolutely love him at Liverpool it he's normally as good as he was this tournament.

1 minute ago, av3ry said:

Is he available?

Hardly see that kind of (successful)runs by players anymore

Saka has balls of steel to step up to the plate and take a penalty in that situation - I think the decision to have him take that penalty is questionable but Southgate must have his reasons.

Thought overall on the night Italy deserved the win, we started off really well and then slowly started letting it slip towards the end of the first half and didn't get a grip again until well into extra time. Think Southgate got some key decisions wrong tonight unfortunately but across the tournament he and the team have done the country proud and I think the national team is going in the right direction.

First thing the squad should do is have a total media blackout. No looking at the headlines looking for scapegoats, no talking to interviewers looking to rub salt into the wounds. Stay together, regroup and recover. Come back when you've had the time to process everything that's happened tonight, and come back stronger from it.

Big kudos to Southgate for coming out and taking the fall for the penalties. Standing up and admitting he was the one who got it wrong, protecting his players from criticism. I respect that.

Incredible tournament England. I think Southgate ****ed it and didn't learn his lesson from the Croatia semi final. Very proud of the whole team though and gutted for Saka who should never have been taking that penalty. There are fans of other teams getting a kick out of this who will never know what this is like.

1 minute ago, Smallen said:

If Southgate did choose the takers and made the 19 year old the 5th taker that’s some call. It’s easy to say in hindsight but that just seems like a crazy thing to do.

Yeah, I'm just going to assume Saka is the 5th best penalty taker on the pitch in training out of those players (which is possible if that's about senior penalty takers on the other page is correct). Making him 5th penalty taker though, that's the wrong call.

2 minutes ago, brez22 said:

I would have never put Saka on pen 5. Its pressure and expectation that I think is unfair.

In the huddle you could see Saka put his hand up

I assume it was to volunteer?

I mean, it is also all down to confidence.

It all changes when you take that walk though I'm sure

Just now, Bootador said:

Yeah, I'm just going to assume Saka is the 5th best penalty taker on the pitch in training out of those players (which is possible if that's about senior penalty takers on the other page is correct). Making him 5th penalty taker though, that's the wrong call.

This is the first pen I've ever seen him take. I think a few bottled it 

Just now, ajw10 said:

This is the first pen I've ever seen him take. I think a few bottled it 

Also, I don't mind it usually when players say no as it shows courage, and I'm obviously emotionally invested in Saka.

However, if you are letting a 19 year old take a decisive penalty like that then I'm not sure it shows courage. I think it shows cowardice