The Jack Grealish (and occasionally England) Thread: It's coming home attempt 5782570

Pukey

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree another CB is the right decision, worryingly thin there. Although a bit light in CM, there’s still enough there to cobble something reasonable together between Rice, Bellingham, Mount, Phillips, Henderson. 

I feel like Mings against a decent team could have a heroic performance making blocks and clearances all game, and is liable to drop a clanger against any team likely to be playing on the break against us. 

Just now a question who plays together at the back. Going to be a right mishmash with the pairing having never played together, and potentially one of the pairing playing on the side they're not familiar with as surely Mings can't be a starter after these last two games :D 

Stones - White? (Or vice versa)

Coady - Stones (Or vice versa)

Walker - Stones - White

Walker - Coady - Stones

Stones - Coady - White

I think it'll be Stones - Mings though, simply because they've been together in England squads enough to know each other from training and Southgate will insist on it being a CB that's 'comfortable' out on the left.

29 minutes ago, pearcey_90 said:

Just now a question who plays together at the back. Going to be a right mishmash with the pairing having never played together, and potentially one of the pairing playing on the side they're not familiar with as surely Mings can't be a starter after these last two games :D 

Stones - White? (Or vice versa)

Coady - Stones (Or vice versa)

Walker - Stones - White

Walker - Coady - Stones

Stones - Coady - White

I think it'll be Stones - Mings though, simply because they've been together in England squads enough to know each other from training and Southgate will insist on it being a CB that's 'comfortable' out on the left.

I think it will be Stones Mings

For Croatia I'd go:

Shaw, Stones, White, Walker

Phillips 

Mount Bellingham (id actually go Grealish but there's absolutely no chance of a Mount/Grealish pairing)

Foden Kane Sancho

17 minutes ago, aiston said:

James Ward-Prowse should have went, huge mistake from Southgate.

There's an argument for taking him, but I don't think not taking a player who'd have been sat on the bench for the most part anyway is going to make any real difference to our chances. 

22 minutes ago, aiston said:

James Ward-Prowse should have went, huge mistake from Southgate.

"huge mistake" come on man, have some perspective. Not taking someone that would hardly get a kick is not a huge mistake and will have little to no impact on how well England do :D 

England fans will moan over bloody anything Southgate does :D 

I am a touch surprised that he went for a centre back rather than a midfielder, unless Southgate was joking about Trent having the capability of playing in the centre as a reason to include him? 

Either he's worried about Maguire or Mings.

3 minutes ago, The_jagster said:

I am a touch surprised that he went for a centre back rather than a midfielder, unless Southgate was joking about Trent having the capability of playing in the centre as a reason to include him? 

Maguire looks even further off than Henderson

6 minutes ago, The_jagster said:

He's probably worried about both of them tbf.

18 minutes ago, darren1983 said:

"huge mistake" come on man, have some perspective. Not taking someone that would hardly get a kick is not a huge mistake and will have little to no impact on how well England do :D 

England fans will moan over bloody anything Southgate does :D 

England fans seem to moan all the time..when every time they disagree with something Southgate does it gets called moaning :D

36 minutes ago, The_jagster said:

Easier to drop someone back into midfield and have them do a serviceable job than it is to drop someone back into central defence and have the same outcome. Tends to be why I don't remember many nations, in 23-man squads, going short on central defenders. It used to be fullbacks, but now they've become quite important and all-action, it's usually another position.

If things get bad in midfield, he can move Foden back there. Even Grealish if he's desperate. And as it happens he's now got White who can do the job. If Maguire is struggling he's left with three central defenders and I don't see many midfielders he can move back to cover. Walker isn't a central defender in a 4-man defence.

Actually thinking about it, if things are bad in midfield he'll just play two and use a No.10. 

Edited by Astafjevs

With the confirmation of Ben White over James Ward-Prowse or Jesse Lingard to replace the injured Trent Alexander-Arnold, Southgate defo sees this England side as a 3-4-3 squad.

349149360_EnglandEuro2021depth-updated.png.95f98162513b09162ec461bd7bef83fe.png

(note: Just grouped all the #10s at WL & traditional wingers at WR in no particular order of preference. Also added Rashford at ST rather than WR purely for visual & aesthetical balance. Put Dean Henderson as 'Deano' because the 'Hendo' nickname is already taken by another dude, and don't want to confuse idiots who'll somehow ask 'hurrdurr why is Jordan Henderson in goal')

3 hours ago, themadsheep2001 said:

I think it will be Stones Mings

For Croatia I'd go:

Shaw, Stones, White, Walker

Phillips 

Mount Bellingham (id actually go Grealish but there's absolutely no chance of a Mount/Grealish pairing)

Foden Kane Sancho

I largely agree with this, but going left to right with a team selection should be a bannable offence 

42 minutes ago, PaulHartman71 said:

Ben White must be buzzing. Gone from nowhere to potentially at least 1 start at a major tournament in space of a few weeks :D 

He might be starting the first game at this rate, he's better than Coady in a 4, and Mings looks unreliable. 

21 minutes ago, Haguey said:

Ben White was already great in the Championship tbf, deserves this chance. I'd have taken Tomori over Coady personally too.

He's been great for Brighton as well when I've watched. He looked levels above for us, which was wild considering he hadn't played above league 1 but he strolled in looking like he should be top half PL player. 

His ability to bring it out from the back could be really useful to this England team. I think him and Stones could be a good partnership. 

with Maguire looking like he'll not be fit for the group stage and Mings looking sloppy in the friendlies, White's the most obvious remedy to that situation. Plus as great as JWP is from the dead ball, I don't see why we should act like he's the only competent set piece taker we have in the squad, especially when we've got someone as good as Trippier.

You can't really compare JWP's set pieces to Trippier's...I mean JWP's are far superior. He is also excellent at pressing. But like people said he'd be on the bench anyway. Unlucky to have missed out on the squad though for sure.

Edited by Baptista_8