Football Manager 2019 Official Feedback Thread

Biggest downside for this year's FM from your pov ?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. What really annoy you this year while playing FM19 ?

• Players moaning for new contracts too often
    • Gegenpressing tactic too powerful
    • Youngsters determination decreasing despite tutoring
    • IA still stockpiling players at a specific position/low teambuilding
    • Calendar bug ,only 1 day to recover between 2 officials games, especially a the end of the season (Obviously, i'm not talking about the Boxing day)
    • International call-ups issues (players unavailable for Champions League final etc...)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, Hovis Dexter said:

IMO this is a serious problem. If the player’s attributes are such that he can play a particular role then the circle should be green or at least greenish. The colour of the circles should be helping us. I’ll repeat what I’ve said on previous threads in that the colours should not be misleading they should help us ... we are not all as good at the game as @Cleon or @Rashidi.

It's a simple concept to get though, if the player has the attributes to play it they will play it. It doesn't have to have a green circle, i for one turned off analysis view. Roles are not dependent on suitability but on attributes;.

On 31/05/2019 at 22:40, anagain said:

Is it just me or is the success rate of crossing really, really dismal in FM19?

I have players with crossing of 10 that achieve maybe 25%-30% cross success rate in matches. I think they're let down by the number of touches they take before attampting the cross or they simply wait too long, hoping to get closer to the byline, and give the defenders time to get in to position to block the cross. It happen so much that my player will wait to cross until the defender is in line and the ball cannons out for a corner or a throw. Nine times out of ten they've had a perfect opportunity to cross just seconds before after a burst of pace, but they've wasted that opportunity to advance. I don't even have cross from the byline specifically stated.

It seems to me I have to have players of crossing 15+ before I have any likelihood of a decent cross success rate.

Not that the opposition have as much trouble. Though I'm looking at the post match stats for my last game and Marc Albrighton, with crossing of 16, has a 16% cross success rate. 

I am looking at the PL stats in the real world though, and cross success by team doesn't seem as high as I'd expect (I'm seeing success rates of about 25% to 30%) . Are things actually very true to life and I shouldn't expect all these crosses to find the box? I watch matches every week and I'd swear I see more successful crosses than the statistics are reporting. I can't help but feel that cross success rate in the real world includes crosses that beat the first man. In FM I can't help but feel that too many crosses just hit the first man. Is it not a well used phrase is "beat the first man"?

I'm just throwing this out there because I really want opinions.

One of the reasons why it almost has to be this way is because even with these completion rates, crosses still produce a ton of goals in the game.

I just started a new season. First match, I lost 2-0 to two far post crosses from deep. Second match, I lost 3-2 and conceded three goals from crosses. In that second match, my club was 1/30 with our crosses. We scored on that one connected cross, and we scored another goal off of a cross that their goalkeeper spilled to our striker. Even when the crosses are incomplete, they are dangerous. That's 7 goals, all from crosses so far this year, and I'm considering playing with six players on my flanks next match.

Edited by Overmars

On 28/12/2018 at 22:28, Eoow said:

Hello all managers!

I have been playing all editions of this lovely game on a continuous basis. Year after year. Update after update. Defeat after defeat. What made me continue playing the game was the realistic gameplay reflecting the real football environment. During the many years I have been playing Football Manager, I have not noticed any major unrealistic gameplays that gave me the feeling that I want stop playing the game. There have always been a way out of a bad streak, top strikers not scoring, midfielders not passing the ball correctly, etc.  After playing Football Manager 2019 for only one week, I got this feeling for the first time – and I wonder what is wrong with this year's edition? I feel like that my instructions does not matter.

After my first match, I got the feeling that something is wrong. Match highlights constantly show me the exact same outcome:

• Defenders unrealistic blocks crosses from wingers resulting in another corner.
  • Strikers are somehow not involved in matches anymore.
  • Obvious passes such as through balls never happens.
  • Incredibly high possession and shot at goal with only one goal scored – from a corner kick.
  • Nice pass! Oh wait. Offside, offside, offside, offside, offside, offside, offside.

These are just some of the reasons why I very unfortunately have to pause Football Manager 2019. I have done some research as I was really frustrated about match highlights just showing crosses getting blocked, no play throughs to strikers and offside every time a player tries to make a pass. It is very obvious that that I am clearly not the only one with these problems:

These are posts from several Football Manager communities indicating that managers all over the world are frustrated about this year's version. It does simply not reflect reality like previous games – and for me, it is simply not to live – or play – with as it is so obvious wrong. You even see well-known tactic creators playing with inverted wingers and fullbacks to center the play in order to win from decent plays that are not somehow random or blocked from crosses. This is not how Football Manager should be played.

You might argue that the tactic is not correctly suited for the specific match, but these problems occur every single match, and the match highlights are just the same over and over again. I am very sad to pause Football Manager 2019 already and it got me – for the first time ever – to start a discussion and ask the question: What is wrong with Football Manager 2019?

Hello again managers!

I have had a break from FM18 since December until now due to this popular problem with the game. I was not the only one experiencing this. Can anyone tell me whether SI fixed this issue? I will not start up a new carreer if 90% of all my match highlights are showing defenders blocking, wingers making illogical moves and dribles and strikers are not doing as instructed. 

On 01/06/2019 at 04:40, anagain said:

Is it just me or is the success rate of crossing really, really dismal in FM19?

I have players with crossing of 10 that achieve maybe 25%-30% cross success rate in matches. I think they're let down by the number of touches they take before attampting the cross or they simply wait too long, hoping to get closer to the byline, and give the defenders time to get in to position to block the cross. It happen so much that my player will wait to cross until the defender is in line and the ball cannons out for a corner or a throw. Nine times out of ten they've had a perfect opportunity to cross just seconds before after a burst of pace, but they've wasted that opportunity to advance. I don't even have cross from the byline specifically stated.

It seems to me I have to have players of crossing 15+ before I have any likelihood of a decent cross success rate.

Not that the opposition have as much trouble. Though I'm looking at the post match stats for my last game and Marc Albrighton, with crossing of 16, has a 16% cross success rate. 

I am looking at the PL stats in the real world though, and cross success by team doesn't seem as high as I'd expect (I'm seeing success rates of about 25% to 30%) . Are things actually very true to life and I shouldn't expect all these crosses to find the box? I watch matches every week and I'd swear I see more successful crosses than the statistics are reporting. I can't help but feel that cross success rate in the real world includes crosses that beat the first man. In FM I can't help but feel that too many crosses just hit the first man. Is it not a well used phrase is "beat the first man"?

I'm just throwing this out there because I really want opinions.

Oh wait. Never mind. Still the same I see. See you all again after the summer for FM20.

14 minutes ago, Eoow said:

Hello again managers!

I have had a break from FM18 since December until now due to this popular problem with the game. I was not the only one experiencing this. Can anyone tell me whether SI fixed this issue? I will not start up a new carreer if 90% of all my match highlights are showing defenders blocking, wingers making illogical moves and dribles and strikers are not doing as instructed. 

A lot of those issues are still there and won't be changed now. Personally I think this is one of the worst match engines I've played in FM.

Edited by Tiger666

On 30/05/2019 at 09:46, Sussex Hammer said:

Anyone know why top managers always seem to get sacked early in FM?  I'm two years in and Guardiola was fired on 13/5/2019 despite finishing 2nd in the League although no Cup wins.  Klopp was sacked 11/3/2020 despite winning the League in 18/19 and Guardiola incredibly took over - Klopp is still unemployed.  Whilst Spurs haven't done particularly well with 5th and 7th place finishes Pochettino was sacked on 6/3/2019 and was followed by Benitez who was also sacked in under a year and now Ancelotti is there.  Solskjaer left his "interim" role in May 2019 and Zidane took over.  Sarri was sacked (no real surprise).  Silva gone at Everton and replaced by a bloke called Chris Wilder, Rodgers sacked at Leicester within a year and a half and a host of other PL teams have sacked Managers and to be fair replaced them with unlikely replacements.  FM seems more savage that real life!!!!!

Valverde just got sacked in my save right after winning the Champions League and getting 3rd place with 92 points (same as 2nd place) in the league.

SrSAj9S.png

2 hours ago, turgi said:

Any idea what's that?

Playing online for the first time, never happened to me in a career mode.

The game didn't crash, it just keep popping up.

WhatsApp Image 2019-06-03 at 22.23.09.jpeg

Same error for me after updated FMT to 19.3.5. It always crash with this error at the loading screen now.

• Administrators
4 hours ago, turgi said:

Any idea what's that?

Playing online for the first time, never happened to me in a career mode.

The game didn't crash, it just keep popping up.

WhatsApp Image 2019-06-03 at 22.23.09.jpeg

2 hours ago, russell9 said:

Same error for me after updated FMT to 19.3.5. It always crash with this error at the loading screen now.

Can you please raise the issues in our bugs forum so the team can investigate further? - https://community.sigames.com/forum/263-football-manager-technical-help-and-bugs-forum/

Thanks.

I feel like the game could do a better job recognizing progress and potential success than it currently does.

I'm 2 seasons into a career at a low quality team in the lower leagues, and exceeding all expectations. I'm no expert but definitely over achieving and going in the right direction. 6th in first season (predicted relegation), playoffs in 2nd season (again, predicted relegation). My board are happy, fans are happy and have a good young crop of players to build on. 

However, it is still very difficult to attract decent players for the wages I can afford to offer. Either players are reluctant to join at all - even from lower leagues - or I am rejected by players in preference for a team I previously finished above in the same league... often even accepting lower wages to do so.

Recently I was turned down by a CB that was demanding 250/week, only for him to sign for a team with a lower reputation than mine for 55/week.

8 часов назад, AlexJames сказал:

Recently I was turned down by a CB that was demanding 250/week, only for him to sign for a team with a lower reputation than mine for 55/week.

Actually issues like this deserving separate topic in Bug Forum

But I absolutely sure that transfers in FM19 much better in compare fm17-18 and maybe its not a bug, but feature ^_^
For example relations of player (including negative), city attraction, plans on season and next seasons (promises before contract trades) etc.

For example one player asked me to sell him in another club because manager of this his favourite person, but club lower in compare of current.

Concerning salary what about bonuses? Including agent's bonus, this is important part of contract. For example if agent ask for small bonus, I give him better and change players salary/bonuses smaller :)

FM19 is doing pretty well imo but still need to improve in some aspects.

Crossing:

According to Soccerment.com, the crossing completion rates of five major European Leagues includes, EPL, La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga, Ligue 1 in 2017 is around 22% to 26% [average 23.5%, lowest: EPL(22%), highest: Bundesliga(26%)]

Ref: https://soccerment.com/2017/11/26/crossing-effective-strategy/

In my FM19 experiences, crosses completion rates are mostly around 13%-18%, rarely 20%. That's a little bit low. 
I don't mind players have misplaced crosses, but their crossing choice are really bad. Just banged the ball, no matter what's happening. Lots of "crosses" are end up with hitting right into defense players. Don't really see something like one-twos overlapping/ simple passes overlapping in ME.

And, Early crosses always cause unstoppable goals, fullback of side-center backs never have any ideas to defense far-post players.

It's still something deadly, due to those early crosses for some tactics that have Wingers and attacking fullbacks.

Tactics:

It is very delicate for minor changes, you can consequently winning matches by more than 3:0 and losing fatally with one minor change.

I don't know should I consider this is good or bad. Spending more than six months irl to realize inside forwards work better when you told them to Stay Wider, Hold Up Ball and Marking opp.'s fullbacks(lol). It is fun yet frustrating.

Long Shots:

It is another double-edged sword. I scored a lot long shots, but I know it drives people mad when players starting long shots for no reasons.

List of players always get goals outside the box that in my teams: 

Real players:

Youri Tielemans (LS:14 Tec:16 Dec:13 Det:14 Fla:14 with Shoots from distance)
Sergej Milinkovic-Savic (LS:15 Tec:14 Dec:14 Det:17 Fla:18 with Shoots With Power & Tries First Time Shots) 
Joao Felix (LS:12 Tec:17 Dec:16 Det:16 Fla:17)
Andreas Pereira (LS:14 Tec:16 Dec:11 Det:13 Fla: 19 with Shoots From Distance)
Adrien Rabiot (LS:12 Tec:15 Dec:17 Det:14 Fla:13)

Generated players:

Dario Migliore (LS:14 Tec:15 Dec:14 Det:13 Fla:14)

That's why I think tactics matter more than ME.

Players' Loyalty:

I don't know why almost every key players in my team trying to play in other teams.

My Team (Man Utd) rated 1st in Reputation among European Clubs. Won previous several EPLs, ECCs.

Pogba asked to leave. Andreas Pereira asked to leave. Martial asked to leave. De Gea asked to leave <--These four all wanted to join PSG, maybe due to high rep players like Neymar, Mbappe?

Andy Carroll asked to leave. Vanja Milinkovic-Savic asked to leave. <-I brought them and they asked to leave next year.

All of them don't have hard feeling in my teams though. This remain unsolved for me.

Training:

I like this training system but still want more individual training scheme for e.g.: crossing, heading, tackling, dribbling.
I know those attributes are training in Team training, but it sound ridiculous for me that I can't even told my players to have dribbling drills.

Wishes:

I would like to have the statistics for how many agents get sacked by I told my players to do so.
Better ME. 
Adjustment of TV revenue and Prize money according the reputation or something like that.
Blind following tactical trends for some manager :) (Including players' custom tactics.)

9 minutes ago, Airy said:

I like this training system but still want more individual training scheme for e.g.: crossing, heading, tackling, dribbling.
I know those attributes are training in Team training, but it sound ridiculous for me that I can't even told my players to have dribbling drills.

These attributes can't be trained on a one-on-one basis, though, which is what the additional focus is primarily for (although one user in particular has tried to argue otherwise every few weeks for the past six months). Dribbling around a line of static cones by yourself, for example, would do nothing in terms of developing a player's ability to dribble past mobile defenders.

9 minutes ago, Airy said:

Wishes:
Better ME. 

Almost everyone says that they want a better ME or a new ME (sometimes for very trivial reasons), but very few users explain precisely what they want to change for the next version. What would you like to see changed in FM20?

Edited by CFuller

@CFuller That's debatable for the statement of "one-on-one basis" for additional focus.

Dribbling, Ball Control can practice with cones. 
Free Kick, Penalty needs coaches/goalkeepers. Defensive Positioning can't trained solo with imaginary enemy.

Some players practices their footwork individually after regular training, irl.

So, why this really matters?

As I said about what players do when crossing, that's a terrible design for the Match Engine.
They don't do better decisions even for high "Decisions" players. Got marked before they attempted to cross, they can try dribble, knock ball past the opponent, pass backward, look for overlap, that's what "decisions" for, right?

CB launching long passes, even they have traits "Plays short simple passes".

And yes, traits, intructions means they tend/ mean to do something and it is not a must. If it happens frequently, it's probably ME's fault.

Some of the complaints about ME are bad player/tactical decisions, but this ME ain't perfect.

That's something needs to improve.

Edited: If you actually played/even watched football in real life, you will find some actions in the ME of FM2019 is not human-like.

I am not talking about players' error. My De Gea caught a ball outside the box once, but I won't complain about something like this because player will have error, that's ok.

I am talking something like:-
Poor decisions of crosser like I mentioned before
Players got "pressured" from his back and he determined to protect the ball and walked back and don't pass the ball to his teammate which in open position "backwardly". And he walked almost half football field:)
Didn't see any chest first touch for high ball.
Didn't see any players try to do tricks.
Waiting a opponent's player run far far away to take the loose ball that right in front of him.
etc.

FM dev. team care back-end of the ME than the front-end. That's my observation as a programmer.That's why we have moonwalking players to receive passes in previous version of FM.
Putting more effort in back-end is cool, but its not 2000/2001 anymore. Back to the days when we only have 2D Match, everybody is okay for that because our imagination did all the things.
Since 3D matches engine introduced in game, that's required more and more technically and sure more requirement from fans.:)
I am not asking for real player face scan/4k resolutions/fifa-like multi-angled goal replay, etc.
I just hope it can be more fun to watch than a 22-people-pinball on the pitch.

Many people said FM haven't changed many years, that's not true. Meta changed, things improved, all of them are TRIVIAL things. Tons of good trivial things make a thing/product perfect, that's important.
And I hope it will become better and better.

Edited by Airy
Supplementary information for my statement about ME

2 hours ago, Airy said:

That's debatable for the statement of "one-on-one basis" for additional focus.

Dribbling, Ball Control can practice with cones. 
Free Kick, Penalty needs coaches/goalkeepers. Defensive Positioning can't trained solo with imaginary enemy.

Some players practices their footwork individually after regular training, irl.

The reasons why some individual training sessions are no longer possible are explained here in the "Individual Training" section.  Basically it follows on from extensive work which SI carried out with real life clubs to better reflect what actually happens during training sessions.

Of course if, as you say, you have specific examples from your experience of working with real life clubs which differs from SI's then you're welcome to open a new thread in the Training and Medical Centre forum to share your real life experiences.  SI are always open to that type of discussion.

Biggest issues for me are:

- Goalkeepers are not playing high enough and coming out fast enough despite being GK/Sweeper and Attacking. And they have high stats in rushing out too. They are still playing like traditional goalkeepers.

- Goalkeepers AI is very poor and are very slow to react to second time shots despite them being top goalkeepers. A lot of silly conceded goals like the ball rebounding off the post before hitting them and going in. And they already have a lot of time to react to it. 

- Too many easy goals scored right around the top of the box where opposing defenders don't close down.

- Left and right backs constantly in wrong position and defending too wide despite instructions to stay tight. 

- Too many sliding tackles in the game despite not having given such instructions.  

- Gengenpressing is still very poorly executed and not realistic. Very poor AI. Many times I have three players going after one player and then just staying static in their positions when they fail to get the ball. And my pressing intensity is high. Still cannot see how they are defending as a team, pressing as a unit and closing down passing channels.

Massive improvements needed in this game. 

Good Day SI Team!

I had the deep wish to tell my thoughts on FM19 after i played it for about 1400 hours now. (about the same time always since 2014)

As my thoughts don't fit a certain category I put it into general and hope a lot of people read it.

First of all thanks for such a great game and professional help via this side. Just amazing to have so many hours of pleasure and pain :)

Thoughts I want to share refer as well to small bugs (see attached picture 1)

On the cons side you have "tackling" How can you have 83%won tacklings/duells and have rank 15? If 14 teams win even more than 83% (Which is nonsense I guess)  Who loses all them?

Another "bug" I'd say is to avoid release clauses/keep your board from interveening. All you have to do is just set the transfer sum very low, for emaple 100K (picture 2)

Then you can easily reject all offers and the KI never bids higher amounts! (kind a bugusing in my opinion.

Moreover board doesn't interveen. Good in some way as the board is a small "bug" itself. Often they sell players for far less money you could get if they would let you act and sell the player.

Quite unrealistic in my opinion. There should be something like "We need XY millions" to get better finanancial situation. Solve that problem in the way you want but solve it. If not you could get fired or less competences or whatever.

That would be more realistic wouldn't it?

Another small bug is that the winner of Nations League doesn't qualify for EM/WM. Shouldn't that be the case? I finished 2nd with a nation in Nations league. Winner was qualified via group stage anyway, but I wasn't.

Another small bug is players being unhappy get happy again, sign a new contract and get unhappy again 4 weeks later. That's a bit too much. Having signed a new contract players shouldn't be unhappy for at least 1 year. (Maybe if the don't play they should, but not because they want a transfer)

Similar to picture 1 is picture 3. Cons Headers (Kopfballtechnik). So if 9th with 54% would mean at least 9 teams win more than 50%. Should be wrong/unrealistic as well as the 10th would't win any header at all probably.

One big wish for future FM's: Contract talks are a very important thing in real life as well as in FM. In reality sometimes they are easy, sometimes take months.

This very important thing should be given more detail. Players want money on their hands to enlarge contracts or have other demands (a certain player joining the club, or whatever.Sometimes this should take far longer until it's done so you have to open contract talks earlier. (And then players should always want to talk to you as they have no reason to enlarge contracts early) Nowadays more and more players sit out contracts to receive more money for themselves.

These are my thoughts on FM. Feel free to comment/start discussion/post this where it maybe should (wishes for future fms)

Greatings from Germany

picture 1.jpg

picture 2.jpg

picture 3.jpg

1 hour ago, Lukas27 said:

Another small bug is that the winner of Nations League doesn't qualify for EM/WM. Shouldn't that be the case? I finished 2nd with a nation in Nations league. Winner was qualified via group stage anyway, but I wasn't.

Are you writing about the Nations League finals, or the Nations League groups?

Winning the Nations League finals doesn't automatically qualify you for the European Championship, and the Nations League has no impact on World Cup qualification (yet).

21 час назад, Airy сказал:

It is very delicate for minor changes, you can consequently winning matches by more than 3:0 and losing fatally with one minor change.

Personally, I completely agree :applause:I noticed this too but still not described in words.

This is very tired to create realistic tactic and one-two changes (which may not be obvious and logic) give you completely opposite results, but in the same time somebody create totally unrealistic 4231 with MEZ and BBM in the middle and 6 attacking duties in general which win a league without any changes during season by a worst team (FM18 real experience).

And sometimes I dont feel that play in simulation of football. It looks like trial and error method where one non mandatory option can change everything

vor 20 Stunden schrieb CFuller:

Are you writing about the Nations League finals, or the Nations League groups?

Winning the Nations League finals doesn't automatically qualify you for the European Championship, and the Nations League has no impact on World Cup qualification (yet).

Sorry, you are right, my fault. I hope the rest is correct :)

I get that player development maybe was a bit OP in the past, but the current way isn't the thing either. I doubt many people properly understand how it works and everything I see is youngsters determination dropping like a ****ing brick because the 'less ambition character of the squad' has influenced him.

Using players under 23 nowadays, as much as I like using them, just aren't worth using over already established players unless you know for sure that you'll be giving them gametime.

On ‎17‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 15:30, Rashidi said:

So Mo Salah scores from roughly 35% of his shots on target. That means he misses nearly 65% of the time. I am not even looking at his xGa numbers cos i think these will be a better reflection, but this is just a simple analysis.  In the game going by these numbers i need to make sure my strikers get at least 4 shots inside the box to stand a chance of scoring one goal. And that these chances probably can't be poor quality chances.  Here its important to look at the whole context of a system. A tactic can be attacking as you want it to be, but if a formation decides to play with 2 defensive midfielders and only one striker then your good chances are probably going to evaporate if your tactic doesn't find a way to move those players around.  I am not suggesting that you are doing anything wrong here, but when it comes to analysing the game in particular, i do feel that people could do with better tools in the game to assess these chances.

I agree that Players on this on average tend to be ridiculously bad on this -- that is, assessing chances both from playing experience and in General. Yet at the same, time, and you can likely testify to this as well: Being able to provides another edge over the AI. Now the AI isn't coded to worry an iota about the shot volumes it concedes -- and it shouldn't. Whenever it does its best to ape Burnley last term, which the AI really likes, the low percentage attempts/headers from set pieces alone increases by default for the opposition.

However, the AI couldn't analyse as such was actually going on. If the game were to introduce a metric that shows how a forward outperforms what he is expected to score, say, or simply hint at that having x more attempts wasn't dominating at all, the human Player can make better use of such data. thus further unsettling the balance of things. Say by trying to find solutions to get his forwards into superior space, which is the kind of micro tweaking the AI is also and Always will be limited at. In competitive sports, nobody tends to not have decisive edges over their peers. AFAIK that is a real concern for SI, which why initially they didn't provide any analysis tools at all.

However, in the form of assistants to hire, this could also made to be optional. SI have the perfect template in what they are simulating. Managers, depending on which, work with assistants for everything. From the data / analytical side of things to the motivational and even the tactical. Some improvement Needs to come here anyway at some Point -- and be it getting rid of the final match reports based on the simple data the game offers. They are and have been highly misleading.

Edited by Svenc

I think a SMALLL Street Football mode would be nice on future versions on FM

FM will be releasing versions for at least 50 years (FM 21, FM 22, FM 23 ETC)

At least add 1 little fun game mode such as Street Football Mode for one of those 50 versions of FM

Sounds like a silly stupid  idea, but i think it would be fun managing a small 5 a side team

Just a fun little game mode that does not take that much time for SI developers to create

All you have to do is 

• Keep everything such as leagues, training, transfers, scouts etc
  • Keep the same ME and Make the Pitch smaller, and change it to a 5-a-side or 3-a-side
Edited by kingking

17 минут назад, Earnie is God! сказал:

Two Europa League games while the Qatar World Cup is on. I've seen this reported elsewhere so it's not really come as a surprise but it's still pretty annoying.

Eurocups gamedays in 31 of Dec and 4 of Jan are funny (not) too. I guess group stage will fully played BEFORE World Cup

Did someone notice that the decisions attribute is influencing a player's ability to cross the ball? A winger with crossing 16 and decision makin 8 sends all his crosses into the opposition's fullback. A winger with crossing 12 and decisions 14 will cross it more often past the defender. How can the decision attribute impact a player's technical ability to cross a ball to the extent that he will cross it at an angle of 30-45 degrees to his run just so he will hit the fullback with the ball?

4 hours ago, Vali184 said:

Did someone notice that the decisions attribute is influencing a player's ability to cross the ball? A winger with crossing 16 and decision makin 8 sends all his crosses into the opposition's fullback. A winger with crossing 12 and decisions 14 will cross it more often past the defender. How can the decision attribute impact a player's technical ability to cross a ball to the extent that he will cross it at an angle of 30-45 degrees to his run just so he will hit the fullback with the ball?

It's not the ability to cross, it's the timing of the cross. If your Crossing16 winger chose a better time to cross then it would get past the full back more often, and be more accurate that the guy who crosses at the best moment, but doesn't have the technical ability to hit his target.

Nobody would wait that much to cross with 3 players in the box and then just shoot into the fullback. I thought the attributes represent footballers on different levels, not 6 year old kids. They added this on purpose because they couldn't make the strikers to move more and the midfielders to turn and send a pass forward so we would see some central play, instead the ball gets on the wings much more than it should and the number of completed crosses was absurd in the first version of the ME because how hard was for defenders to defend crosses.

Keeping my fingers crossed for FM20. This year I just felt robbed.

Edited by Vali184

2 hours ago, Vali184 said:

Nobody would wait that much to cross with 3 players in the box and then just shoot into the fullback. I thought the attributes represent footballers on different levels, not 6 year old kids. They added this on purpose because they couldn't make the strikers to move more and the midfielders to turn and send a pass forward so we would see some central play, instead the ball gets on the wings much more than it should and the number of completed crosses was absurd in the first version of the ME because how hard was for defenders to defend crosses.

Keeping my fingers crossed for FM20. This year I just felt robbed.

Well, fair enough. That's just not how the attributes work though. 

This is more of a question, rather than a feedback per se:

I've just promoted from League 1 to the Championship with Salford (2023/2024), and out of nowhere my players are making unbelieveable mistakes they made maybe once or twice during an entire season. Is this some sort of mechanic within the game to make the team 'artificially worse'? We're talking about completely unacceptable mistakes, like e.g. my central defender mistiming his header, then refusing to run after the lose ball despite not being under pressure, my GK not rushing out to clear free through-balls, despite being Sweeper-Keeper, Wingbackers missing on 10 yard passes going straight to the opponent's strikers, defenders seemingly forgetting how to man-mark etc. This is extremely infuriating, and it makes me want to quit playing. I dominated the League 1, and my team is not worse now -  rather  the opposite;  significantly improved. These mistakes are not due to the opponent's skill level, but rather because my team seemingly has forgotten how to play football.  
What is going on here? 

Edited by MacHans

7 hours ago, MacHans said:

This is more of a question, rather than a feedback per se:

I've just promoted from League 1 to the Championship with Salford (2023/2024), and out of nowhere my players are making unbelieveable mistakes they made maybe once or twice during an entire season. Is this some sort of mechanic within the game to make the team 'artificially worse'? We're talking about completely unacceptable mistakes, like e.g. my central defender mistiming his header, then refusing to run after the lose ball despite not being under pressure, my GK not rushing out to clear free through-balls, despite being Sweeper-Keeper, Wingbackers missing on 10 yard passes going straight to the opponent's strikers, defenders seemingly forgetting how to man-mark etc. This is extremely infuriating, and it makes me want to quit playing. I dominated the League 1, and my team is not worse now -  rather  the opposite;  significantly improved. These mistakes are not due to the opponent's skill level, but rather because my team seemingly has forgotten how to play football.  
What is going on here? 

No mechanics, have you added to the squad. Your playing at a higher level now so your team will be under different pressure and up against better players so they will be making mistakes that they didn't make in league one. 

On 09/06/2019 at 08:41, Earnie is God! said:

This is going to be fun (not):

2005076222_WCFixtures.thumb.jpg.85cacc605f5d6d29e7959d6a9abd6398.jpg     763751044_ELfixtures.thumb.jpg.502cb5b4cff000aaa21c1b927e558067.jpg

Two Europa League games while the Qatar World Cup is on. I've seen this reported elsewhere so it's not really come as a surprise but it's still pretty annoying.

To expand on this, here is the rather ridiculous situation with the groups right now...

20190613042942_1.thumb.jpg.08b144d55b9687c0e55462f2deb0f079.jpg20190613042950_1.thumb.jpg.657264f34cdc01ca4a02fcd6b7676aca.jpg20190613042955_1.thumb.jpg.8e13037ebd21f941531824e489208ccf.jpg

Groups A to F have already played four games while Groups G to L have played none.
Those first six groups will have completed their fixtures before the World Cup draw is even made.
The other six will have played just twice, with two other fixtures while the WC is ongoing, another on New Year's Eve and the final one four day later.
Surely there must have been a far better way to have done this. It's ludicrous.
And it's not country specific. Chelsea are in Group C and here are their fixtures and ours:

2123180206_Chelseafixtures.thumb.jpg.a1d8f322bf4edb9ffda32739defd8dc7.jpg  fixtures.thumb.jpg.d5d8719e9babd0e0b74c1774c651130f.jpg

My gut feeling is that woodwork strikes are out of control. Is there any solid data on this? I've honestly lost count of how many times I've been asked this exact question in press conferences:

image.thumb.png.1874a2ed7f22c7dcce62abe027c660e7.png

5 hours ago, Amarante said:

Your playing at a higher level now so your team will be under different pressure and up against better players so they will be making mistakes that they didn't make in league one. 

I've done some additions, yes, but I've played a sufficient amount of friendlies, so they new players are familiar with their team mates and the tactical aspect. 

Regarding pressure - that's my point exactly -  they're not under "different pressure". These mistakes are completely unrelated to their opponents. Mistakes that happen, in fact, whilst under no pressure at all. I've played FM for over 20 years now, and I've never seen it this bad. We're talking several personal mistakes that lead to a goal or a huge change every game.
Which is why it leads me to think that the game has 'dumbed down' my players to make them do more mistakes. 

Edited by MacHans

There is also possible cognitive bias at work, it affects pundits in actual football when assessing Teams. It goes like this, and it affects us in all ways of life. FOr as Long as a result is positive, everything else is also seen in a brighter light. As soon as they start to turn sour, the vice versa applies. Additionally, we tend to connect positive Outcomes of all our actions to own skill; whereas negative ones must be outside of our own control. That's human nature. At clubs like Brentford run by a man who made a fortune out of assessing the actual quality of football Teams Prior, they collect alternative tables, as they realize the table / results in this sports lie. Like, a lot. This is guaranteed due to its ultra low scoring nature, which means the bulk of competitive matches could have gone either direction. They have sacked a manager at the end of a seemingly successful season, even. For as long as the scorelines remain tight on this game, and the eventual winner is settled within pitifully seconds of 90 minutes simulated in full, at least some of this will remain a part of this game too.

In FM bias can be doubly so more a factor due to the compressed nature of it all (highlight watching, which eventually Show but the sequences eventually leading to Goal mouth incidents, which naturally may include Errors; but also the multiple Matches played in a very short time Frame). Whilst performances are meant to vary, for what it is worth, I have never seen teams on this "forgetting how to play football." A Tier above Point Drops are more likely, and you also face better Opposition. There is nothing that artificially keeps you from succeeding on this, either way. What there might be is too much ambiguity and/or misleading feedback -- a never ending topic, this. :D 

Edited by Svenc

So i started a new CaC with 19.3.4 and continue playing in 19.3.5 and since the 19.3 update it seems that individual strength has a bigger influence on the season outcome.

That hurts massively the 3.Liga in Germany as the second Teams of the Bundesliga Clubs now stomp through the lower leagues as their 16yrs old already play twice as good as every other mature Amateur and Semi Pro Player and Flood into the 3.Liga where they are capped as they are not allowed to promote higher.

As of now it is 8 second Teams in the 3.Liga but from the ranking in the regional legues it seems there may 4 more second Teams promoted next Season and so on till there is no "Real" Club left in the 3.Liga.

That is highly unrealistic as most second Teams in Germany play Regional Liga or Oberliga and avoid Promotion to 3.Liga for the amount of money and effort they will have to spend more in that case.

And in nearly 2300 Hours of Gameplay i have seen 3 times Overhead Balls...2 of them in the lowest League (Berlin Liga) available via Workshop mod. :D

9 hours ago, Earnie is God! said:

To expand on this, here is the rather ridiculous situation with the groups right now...

20190613042942_1.thumb.jpg.08b144d55b9687c0e55462f2deb0f079.jpg20190613042950_1.thumb.jpg.657264f34cdc01ca4a02fcd6b7676aca.jpg20190613042955_1.thumb.jpg.8e13037ebd21f941531824e489208ccf.jpg

Groups A to F have already played four games while Groups G to L have played none.
Those first six groups will have completed their fixtures before the World Cup draw is even made.
The other six will have played just twice, with two other fixtures while the WC is ongoing, another on New Year's Eve and the final one four day later.
Surely there must have been a far better way to have done this. It's ludicrous.
And it's not country specific. Chelsea are in Group C and here are their fixtures and ours:

2123180206_Chelseafixtures.thumb.jpg.a1d8f322bf4edb9ffda32739defd8dc7.jpg  fixtures.thumb.jpg.d5d8719e9babd0e0b74c1774c651130f.jpg

What a mess.

Attempting to play a possession game is increasingly frustrating when players will panic when the ball is at their feet hoof the ball clear under the slightest pressure and regardless of whether an unmarked passing option is 10m in front of them. Shorter (or much shorter) passing TI, play out of defence seem to do very little to remedy this.

Players who've been in the team since the beginning of the save will still have "Looks like X is used to playing a more direct game than asked to today" AM feedback— Just how long do they have to be playing the same system to adapt to it? Am I going to have to make every player learn 'plays way out of trouble' and 'plays short, simple passes' PPMs?

43 minutes ago, autohoratio said:

Attempting to play a possession game is increasingly frustrating when players will panic when the ball is at their feet hoof the ball clear under the slightest pressure and regardless of whether an unmarked passing option is 10m in front of them. Shorter (or much shorter) passing TI, play out of defence seem to do very little to remedy this.

Players who've been in the team since the beginning of the save will still have "Looks like X is used to playing a more direct game than asked to today" AM feedback— Just how long do they have to be playing the same system to adapt to it? Am I going to have to make every player learn 'plays way out of trouble' and 'plays short, simple passes' PPMs?

If you're having trouble with possession, lots of people found this guide in the Tactics & Training forum useful.

30 minutes ago, herne79 said:

If you're having trouble with possession, lots of people found this guide in the Tactics & Training forum useful.

I had a read of that thread and implemented the advice there into my tactics already :)

My problem is that there seems to be no sign of players becoming more comfortable on the ball or playing a short passing style over time, despite playing in a possession-based tactic from the beginning. Possession percentage and passes completed (mostly... some players will be extremely inconsistent in achieving good passing success rates and I believe the tendency for CBs to hoof the ball clear drags the% down). I want to minimise these unforced giveaways of the ball but there doesn't appear to be a way to do so other than just developing their attributes and hoping for the best.