I Give Up

I’m really struggling to get on with FM19 Touch. The first part of the season was going amazingly, but I didn’t really know why. Then all of a sudden I can’t get a win, and I don’t know what I can do. It doesn’t matter what I tell my team, they don’t seem to listen, even when I put it on be more disciplined. Players not crossing early, players hitting long passes when I’ve said short passing. It seems like I have no control over my team. It’s so frustrating.

• 2 weeks later...

I had this same issue on FM 18, with the same team I do every year. Debrecen. We started off with KO rounds of Europe and were eliminated, then couldn't win a league match for anything. Literally finished the season 12 games winless before just bowing out. I went from first with a 7 pt lead to just barely booking a Europa League spot. Never happened to me before, I was baffled.

I have had the same issue, I'm fairly new to the game started playing FM 18. I can barely at times make it to the January Transfer window. I've tried using good teams and I've struggled and I've kept tactics simple and have 3 different formations/tactics to keep things fresh when I'm on a Losing streak, but it still doesn't work. I've also made sure player morale is good or above and still nothing positive happens. 

Edit: I am playing on the PC version. 

• SI Staff

Stick with it! Would recommend taking a look at the Tactics, Training & Strategies Discussion forum - the Match Engine in Touch is exactly the same as FM so there's a wealth of information in there to help improve how you approach the tactical side of the game.

https://community.sigames.com/forum/19-tactics-training-strategies-discussion/

• 2 weeks later...

I'm facing a similar issue here. Was using a tactic 4-3-3 tactic I got from Fmscout (Link Here) and in the first season, basically steamrolled everything with all 3 forwards scoring a bunch of goals. 

Second season in, decided to stick with the formation and bought a couple of players (Harry Kane and Frederico Chiesa). However, it seems like my players have decided to play a completely different type of football and ignoring instructions. My midfielders keep trying to take pot shots and ignoring any aspect of build up play or even threading through balls totally (Pogba is now my top scorer in the second season by virtue of him suddenly becoming the biggest goal scoring threat). My IFs used to get into the box or provide decent crosses but its become non-existent. The worse is my Advanced Striker though. For some reason, Harry Kane has decided to morph into an out-of-form Lukaku who can't score a goal unless he has like 10 shots on the goal (except he'll miss like 90% of them) or have barely any shots at all (The irony being that I bought Kane to essentially replace Lukaku as well). 

One thing I can't seem to figure out is that for my Striker, no matter what formation I try or what role I set him up to be, his movement is completely iffy. Its like they choose to not open up space for themselves or prefer to go and hug the opposing defender so that its easier for them to mark him. 

Seems like the newest patch buff the opponent goalkeeper lol, 32 shots, 18 shots on goal and only one goal, 1 penalty saved, ball possession 58-42% and this happened when i play in home, dafuq and they only have 2 shots, 1 shot on goal and scored 1, it's a draw!! Yeah i give up, i will play instant result for now

if you have a relatively weak team other teams will play more open and attacking formations against you. if you do well for half a season teams will start using more defensive formations against you, meaning it will be harder to score. so, paradoxically, sometimes the best way is to use a more cautious approach, so you start using counter attacks and do not become vulnerable to counters yourself. until you get better strikers...

also, if you're on a winning streak players may get overconfident (check assistant's feedback during the game). you can counteract it with appropriate answers to press questions.

if you sign a lot of new players, then the team needs time to gel. even though touch doesn't have tactics familiarity players still take time to adapt to the new team (this is also reflected in the assistant's feedback). this usually means that a top striker won't score or a top defender will make stupid mistakes. and if you buy 5+ new players and they're all first team - you're in trouble and it may take several months for the team to "click".

4 hours ago, Graham Banks said:

I've had the same issues.

In real life, don't teams sometimes stick to their same formation without such issues?

IRL, teams do make small tweaks for every match. In FM, it'll depend on the setup. Some tactical setups do okay against most formations, where others could have big weaknesses against certain setups.

As mentioned above, there's the added complication of teams starting to be a lot more cautious if you do well, so it's harder to find space in the final third. If your tactic relied on that space, for instance, you'll struggle and you'd now need to find a way to create space there. Or do a Man Utd - stick a Fellaini in there and bomb crosses. :D

2 hours ago, HUNT3R said:

IRL, teams do make small tweaks for every match. In FM, it'll depend on the setup. Some tactical setups do okay against most formations, where others could have big weaknesses against certain setups.

As mentioned above, there's the added complication of teams starting to be a lot more cautious if you do well, so it's harder to find space in the final third. If your tactic relied on that space, for instance, you'll struggle and you'd now need to find a way to create space there. Or do a Man Utd - stick a Fellaini in there and bomb crosses. :D

So I can keep the same formation, but change tactics within that formation?

Or is it better to vary formations?

14 minutes ago, Graham Banks said:

So I can keep the same formation, but change tactics within that formation?

Or is it better to vary formations?

You can do either. The main thing is to find out what the issues are first.

Archived