Football Manager 2018 Announcement

3 hours ago, Neil Brock said:

It's fine brad71, John_Yuki realises people have their own opinions about this he has his own which we're all entitled to. This debate has been done to death a bit in this thread so best to leave it now. Thanks. 

Neil - Perhaps you could respond to my post above? Not had anything from anyone at SI yet, and would thoroughly appreciate thtis so that I can continue with the game... I posted in the bug forum too, and someplace else, but I see you are at least active...  I had written this:

80% discount. Amazing.  I paid $50 a couple of days ago and, to top it all off,  am having my enjoyment ruined because the FFP calculations in the Champions League and Premier League both include Dividends as expenditure which is plain wrong.  Can you please confirm whether this will be resolved in FM18?  This is an issue that has been raised on these forums before, I can see, but never satisfactorily answered by SI.  I cant for the life of me work out how to edit the Champions League FFP either - The EPL one I can deactivate in the editor (advanced rules), or change what is included in expenditure, but this doesn't seem to be possible for the Champions League?

Seeing I have paid 80% more than anyone buying today, to spend a few extra days on the game where I have now been trying to resolve the inaccuracies of the game, I really (REALLY) would appreciate some advice / commentary here....

Thanks Neil - I appreciate any help you / your colleagues can give in A - Confirming this inaccuracy is fixed in FM18 (in which case I will just write-off the $50 spent on 17 and wait) / B - Identifying how to get this fixed in FM17.  Note - I am willing to pay for someone to resolve this for me / tell me how, if that is what it takes?  Appreciated.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking forward to the new release and eagerly awaiting/hoping for new feature announcements surrounding tactics and the match engine. That's the part of the game that excites me most so that will determine whether or not I purchase FM18 this year.

This is the first year I'm not automatically buying the game, though. Will need to get some sort of insight into defensive positioning of midfielders first - after last year's disappointment.

I have, however, bought and played every prior incarnation of CM/FM so I'm hoping that FM17's frustrations were a one-off and that I have reason to continue with the series going forward. 👍

For now at least, I'm quietly optimistic. 😀

31 minutes ago, upthetoon said:

This is the kind of marketing I'm absolutely against. Please watch YouTube gaming channels who are completely against it and see their views. No wonder gaming industry is going down the toilet. 

If this was the extent of their marketing, I could maybe see your point, but this is an opening salvo, purely telling you the game exists, when it'll be out, and that you'll get 25% off it.  They also give you a decent beta option - as they have for years - where you're effectively getting the full game given how little changes between that point and full release.

If you're referring to some of the more nefarious uses of pre-order culture, then SI are a million miles away from anything like that.  There's no timed exclusives, no gimmicky releases, no vastly different store exclusives, and enough good will built up over decades of providing the title to earn trust.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, lukejones2 said:

Neil - Perhaps you could respond to my post above? Not had anything from anyone at SI yet, and would thoroughly appreciate thtis so that I can continue with the game... I posted in the bug forum too, and someplace else, but I see you are at least active...  I had written this:

80% discount. Amazing.  I paid $50 a couple of days ago and, to top it all off,  am having my enjoyment ruined because the FFP calculations in the Champions League and Premier League both include Dividends as expenditure which is plain wrong.  Can you please confirm whether this will be resolved in FM18?  This is an issue that has been raised on these forums before, I can see, but never satisfactorily answered by SI.  I cant for the life of me work out how to edit the Champions League FFP either - The EPL one I can deactivate in the editor (advanced rules), or change what is included in expenditure, but this doesn't seem to be possible for the Champions League?

Seeing I have paid 80% more than anyone buying today, to spend a few extra days on the game where I have now been trying to resolve the inaccuracies of the game, I really (REALLY) would appreciate some advice / commentary here....

Thanks Neil - I appreciate any help you / your colleagues can give in A - Confirming this inaccuracy is fixed in FM18 (in which case I will just write-off the $50 spent on 17 and wait) / B - Identifying how to get this fixed in FM17.  Note - I am willing to pay for someone to resolve this for me / tell me how, if that is what it takes?  Appreciated.

Would be worth raising this in it's own thread with proof that states it's wrong. I know you've posted elsewhere, but we would really need the evidence with a save game in order to investigate this further.

Thanks. 

42 minutes ago, GOODNAME said:

From Miles on twitter :

"Gameplay feature complete - this week
UI feature complete - Friday
Art complete - Sept 15th
Only then can comms start taking screens/videos"

So what going to happen this week?

Soa

Exactly what it says.  Almost all coding for new and improved features will complete this week, and they'll move into a more testing phase, with any further development focused on fixing these results rather than doing anything new.

2 hours ago, Neil Brock said:

Would be worth raising this in it's own thread with proof that states it's wrong. I know you've posted elsewhere, but we would really need the evidence with a save game in order to investigate this further.

Thanks. 

Thanks for responding.  I left the house this AM for a few days, so won't be able to upload a saved game, but I don't think you need that to see the issue.  If you look in the editor, and go to England leagues, match rules, #6, FFP, you will see on the right hand side a drop down box which says there are 15 items selected to be considered expenditure in the FFP rules.  One of those 15 items (clearly checked) is "Dividends".  In the game, the dividends come about because the board has 'moved money to another account'.  So, by moving the money to another account when you earn a lot of money (to keep below the 2bn integer FM problem), it creates a massive loss and an FFP breach.

This is just clearly and definitively wrong.  No FFP rules in any organization are going to consider it a loss when you move money between bank accounts. 

The problem I am having is some way to correct it / work around it for the European Champions League.  I can turn off FFP for the EPL (or I could uncheck Dividends, though it would take me a few days to progress through the game enough to see if that worked and there is no point in me wasting that time again if the ECL is not fixed anyway.

As I said, I could send you my saved game which would show you that I am failing the FFP rules, because of my loss, then you could look at the expenditure to see that the "loss" is all Dividends, but the above is the full fact pattern and is inherent to the game, not my specific save.

Will start its own thread also, but no other threads seem to have gotten any replies on this, hence the conversation here.  This also directly impacts whether I will pre-order FM18, so it is not entirely off-topic.

17 hours ago, upthetoon said:

This is the kind of marketing I'm absolutely against. Please watch YouTube gaming channels who are completely against it and see their views. No wonder gaming industry is going down the toilet. 

Refers to gaming industry going down the toilet yet validates youtubers. Extraordinary. 

• Administrators
12 hours ago, starbugg said:

Neil can you tell me anything about the "Special Edition FM 2018" Game are offering for £44.99, like what's special about it?

And I would like to thank SI and Steam for the 25% contract extension, much appreciated.

Details will be announced in the coming weeks. Thanks. 

I think it's laughable people are actually moaning about a discounted game. All SI have done is say right lads fm18 is out in November and we'll give you 25% discount for buying it before then. I've had every FM / CM game since CM99/01 and even if they said FM 18 is jus going to have updated squads I'd still buy it so a discount on buying a game early that I'm going to be buying anyway well it's a win win.

17 minutes ago, bigmattb28 said:

I think it's laughable people are actually moaning about a discounted game. All SI have done is say right lads fm18 is out in November and we'll give you 25% discount for buying it before then. I've had every FM / CM game since CM99/01 and even if they said FM 18 is jus going to have updated squads I'd still buy it so a discount on buying a game early that I'm going to be buying anyway well it's a win win.

Agree. By buying a FM game you pretty much know in advance what you'll get so I've preordered it in the last 4-5 years as soon as it was available.

Some years better, some not, yet I put a few hundred hours in it every year, losing hair in the process :D

I very much liked the loyalty program, though, the idea of it.

On 8/16/2017 at 23:42, starbugg said:

Neil can you tell me anything about the "Special Edition FM 2018" Game are offering for £44.99, like what's special about it?

The special editions usually have the unique features printed on the front of the box art. Last year it was a DLC bundle and some FM Touch challenges. If you look at Game's box art for the FM2018 special edition you can see it says "Double Sided Management Masterclass Pull-out Inside."

So it will be some kind of poster with a variety of FM concepts outlined/explained. Like a cheat sheet, I imagine.

People never seem to learn; preorder at your peril. It's lamentable enough doing so when you actually know what you are getting, let alone when they are refusing to divulge any details whatsoever! 

I'll be awaiting the reviews before deciding whether to make a purchase as there is every chance FM18 could turn out to be just another glorified data update.

Anyone pre ordering should automatically lose their right to make any complaints they may have about the game on release. You bought it sight unseen, you're the mug.

5 minutes ago, Marathon Dress Week said:

People never seem to learn; preorder at your peril. It's lamentable enough doing so when you actually know what you are getting, let alone when they are refusing to divulge any details whatsoever! 

I'll be awaiting the reviews before deciding whether to make a purchase as there is every chance FM18 could turn out to be just another glorified data update.

Anyone pre ordering should automatically lose their right to make any complaints they may have about the game on release. You bought it sight unseen, you're the mug.

They arent refusing: the timetable is quite clear. No one is going to lose the right to anything. You're entitled to wait, just as they are entitled to pre order. Please refrain from calling anyone mugs from now on. Thanks

On ‎15‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 15:38, Miles Jacobson said:

Early bird season tickets are on sale until April at most clubs. With any chasing promotion & relegation, they don't know what division they in. They end well before the transfer market opens, let alone closes.

We are announcing features before the discount period ends. Which is more than any club early bird discount does.

So I don't understand your issue. At all.

Miles, early bird season tickets run to July for most clubs

5 hours ago, Marathon Dress Week said:

If I find a bug or something I don't like in game,work and find evidences and raise them in bug forum's and they don't do anything ofcourse and I can complain if they don't fix them...Bug forum for me is the key make fm better...Many members here don't like something and they never raise it in bugs forum or in features request forum... 

6 hours ago, Marathon Dress Week said:

If you pre order, you are not buying it unseen though are you, as you get the beta, so can play the game 2 weeks before release, and can cancel your order before the release date if you don't like it, so what you said is utter nonsense.

Also no matter what game you buy, your always buying it unseen as unless you play it how can you see it and see what it's like??

Well done to the lads at FM with the early bird offer. 

Some people on here will be in for one heck of a hard-landing when they get older. If they think a pre-order discount for a £30 PC game is unethical, I dread to think how they'll act when they have to pay £5k for a train season ticket or 3 months' rent up front. Most of the music festivals offer pre-announcement discounts too, long before any of the artists are revealed. Football fans have to part with £500 for season ticket long before they know what their first team will look like. 

That youthful sense of entitlement will be shattered soon enough. 

Yes, it makes sense that new game features would be better announced with the 25% discount.

However, all this ranting over just 7 pounds (10 dollars) is absolutely childish - insane...

Much a do about nothing from your mom and dad's basement...

1 hour ago, phd_angel said:

Much a do about nothing from your mom and dad's basement...

Surely any criticism of others should be more adult than this?

I am really hoping that your manager skill numbers will grow up in a better way. In FM17, training youth, determination and adaptibility would always stay on the number they were at start. So when you started with a sunday league without any badge, it would be ridiculous a few years later! 

2 minutes ago, AlexTheTall said:

I am really hoping that your manager skill numbers will grow up in a better way. In FM17, training youth, determination and adaptibility would always stay on the number they were at start. So when you started with a sunday league without any badge, it would be ridiculous a few years later! 

Determination definitely goes up. Or at least, it has in mine.

17 hours ago, AlexTheTall said:

Ditto. I hope that this is implemented. My last version is fm16 and I had every version from 2005 I think (the first version) since then. 

It's 55 euros over here through Steam. That's slightly over 50 GBP at the moment. Maybe until the new features are out, the pound drops even more. 

The discount makes it 41 euros. Which means 38 GBP. Which is the current price it retails on Steam in the UK. I'm sure there are more issues like this in other countries. I also am aware that SI cannot do much about this, or at least that's what the word is as the retailer decides the price.

My question is not about this disparity, which I found incredibly naive based on an international market and over the internet. My question is, why doesn't SI have set up their own 'e-shop' to directly sell digital copies? There are other developers who do so. This will eliminate the price disparities around the world for the same product. Seriously, paying for the same digital copy makes no sense. Even the VAT/Sales tax difference is not that big between the UK and other countries to excuse this. It will help both SI and will make loyal fans and customers less irritated over these things. 

Edited by Yuko

2 hours ago, Yuko said:

It's 55 euros over here through Steam. That's slightly over 50 GBP at the moment. Maybe until the new features are out, the pound drops even more. 

The discount makes it 41 euros. Which means 38 GBP. Which is the current price it retails on Steam in the UK. I'm sure there are more issues like this in other countries. I also am aware that SI cannot do much about this, or at least that's what the word is as the retailer decides the price.

My question is not about this disparity, which I found incredibly naive based on an international market and over the internet. My question is, why doesn't SI have set up their own 'e-shop' to directly sell digital copies? There are other developers who do so. This will eliminate the price disparities around the world for the same product. Seriously, paying for the same digital copy makes no sense. Even the VAT/Sales tax difference is not that big between the UK and other countries to excuse this. It will help both SI and will make loyal fans and customers less irritated over these things. 

They do have their own store it's linked in the opening post, however like with Steam (and the majority of digital stores) the prices are controlled by the publisher (in this case Sega) so I expect you'd be paying the same price anyway, unless they let you purchase in pounds rather than euros.

12 minutes ago, michaeltmurrayuk said:

They do have their own store it's linked in the opening post, however like with Steam (and the majority of digital stores) the prices are controlled by the publisher (in this case Sega) so I expect you'd be paying the same price anyway, unless they let you purchase in pounds rather than euros.

Thanks for that, thought it was directed to a Steam link. The price is still the same as Steam and it requires a Steam confirmation that you have the previous version, which makes sense. But the pricing shouldn't differ based on location when it comes to digital downloads directly from the company that makes it imo. Unless there are so many legal stuff that's in the way.

I even have a UK bank account I can't use now but that's another issue. I guess when I return to London I will be able to purchase it with the UK pricing but I fail to see the reasoning here. 

Edited by Yuko

When I trying to pre-order Football Manager 2018 via SEGA, on the details page, the 'Countries' list is not showing up so therefore unable to proceed (Mandatory field). I've tried in Microsoft Edge, Internet Explorer 11 and Chrome.

Couldn't find a  'Contact Us' page on the website, so trying through here :)

Update :- I found the 'Support' page, so contacted them directly. Thanks

Edited by Boony

If it crashes the Copa Libertadores, or the Uruguayan Football League, or puts me to play matches when my players are out on international duty without any option of postponing the match

or some other game breaking bugs, I will NOT buy it

Just now, andrei2985sag said:

I owned all the fm starting with 2013. Why you do not offer some one-time loyalty for this kind of users too?.

It is not a complicated feature, for example you buy 4 the fifth is 50% half. It is as simple as that. 

They did that last year. Regular customers got 5% off FM17 for each previous version they owned from FM13-FM16.

1 hour ago, CFuller said:

They did that last year. Regular customers got 5% off FM17 for each previous version they owned from FM13-FM16.

Yeah, I know, my proposal was a bit different. When someone buys you 4 times or 5 times your product(I am a mobile developer so had some contact with that) the fifth time you give a major discount, 50%, not 5% for each version in the last 4. Not practical.

Plus, it is not like the game changed considerably from one version to another, maybe from one version to the third or fourth.

40 minutes ago, andrei2985sag said:

Yeah, I know, my proposal was a bit different. When someone buys you 4 times or 5 times your product(I am a mobile developer so had some contact with that) the fifth time you give a major discount, 50%, not 5% for each version in the last 4. Not practical.

Plus, it is not like the game changed considerably from one version to another, maybe from one version to the third or fourth.

While I see where you're coming from, I have to argue that offering loyal customers such a heavy discount would not be good business for Sports Interactive.

Look at it from the developers' perspective. About 1 million people own FM17. Let's say... half of those also own FM14, FM15 AND FM16, and so would be entitled to your theoretical 50% discounts for FM18. (I'm probably nowhere near the correct figure, but hear me out.)

Now imagine that a tenth of those most loyal customers took the pre-order discount. That's 50,000 customers, saving £20 each on the original price (rounded up to £40). Total saving: approximately £1million.

What SI are offering is a 25% discount on FM18 to those who bought FM17, in which case the theoretical 50,000 pre-orderees would save ~£500,000. While I don't know the full details of SI's finances, they seem perfectly happy to forego that money for the benefit of their loyalest FMers. However, I'm sure a 50% discount really would hit them hard, and simply wouldn't make much financial sense.

(Of course, I'm aware that SI/Sega don't get all the revenue they make from FM.)

You say you're a developer. Do you recall any major developers/publishers putting new games out at half-price for those who'd bought previous versions? Did Rockstar offer 50% off GTA 5 to those who had GTA 4? Did BioWare or EA offer Mass Effect 3 customers ME: Andromeda at half-price? Could Civilization 5 customers get Civ 6 for £25 instead of the usual £50 when it came out?

Unless my memory is playing tricks on me, the answer to all three questions is an emphatic 'no'. There's a good reason for that.

As for the game not changing considerably from version to version, opinions vary from user to user. A large number of people might hail certain new features as groundbreaking, while others might just see FM17 as basically FM16 with a season update. I for one felt that the game had changed considerably enough to justify buying the last three versions in succession.

Edited by CFuller

Some tweets about FM18 from @FootballManager today:

"More contextual social posts in #FM18 mean fans will have their say when a player moves to a rival club."

"Fans will react differently on social media to loan signings compared with permanent signings in #FM18"

"In #FM18 you can reject or accept all offers for a player straight from your inbox."

Edited by Viking

So far the tweets not really inspiring me! Bit like watching England play Malta - a dud so far.

I believe they have until the 9th October  to impress us to pre-order with a 25% discount? Well us guys on steam anyway.

Like England maybe shock us in the last few days!

Edited by Kazza

On 15/08/2017 at 15:11, Miles Jacobson said:

By the time the promotion ends, the key new features will already have been trailed (those are due to be announced late September as Brocky mentions above) and we may have even released 1 or 2 full feature videos by then – can’t confirm the latter yet, as we don’t yet know what dates those will be released, or even how many feature videos we’re doing in total as yet. But you’ll have the headline feature news already, so all good!

This is important to me - I'm not going to buy a game without knowing what I'm getting and would be irritated if the discount only applied to people who would literally gamble on it

On 31. 08. 2017. at 19:42, Viking said:

Some tweets about FM18 from @FootballManager today:

"More contextual social posts in #FM18 mean fans will have their say when a player moves to a rival club."

"Fans will react differently on social media to loan signings compared with permanent signings in #FM18"

"In #FM18 you can reject or accept all offers for a player straight from your inbox."

does anyone even read those posts? who cares about that kind of features anyway?