Football Manager 2017 Pre-Release Beta Feedback Thread

17 hours ago, Earnie is God! said:

Good news as I don't think it's ever been implemented in any previous version.
I'm intrigued about the latter though. AFAIK, Indirect free kicks are only awarded irl against a GK for handling a back-pass or throw-in, if they hold onto the ball for more than 6 seconds or if they handle the ball for a 2nd time after releasing it. What type of foul did he commit?

Don't remember tbh---just remember free kick awarded.  To be honest, it could well have be a DFK that the taker just opted to take in another manner.  Pretty sure it was not a handled backpass...but again...that was some several matches ago.  I'll have to go back and maybe read the match report....I might well have missed something.

Regardless---the GKs have had some lovin' applied (and as a former keeper, I'm happy to see it too!)

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I mostly find I enjoy the new version, my striker actually score goals and not all goals comes from a low hard cross from winger to winger. In most cases I also find that my players don't seem to stop to a standstill and watch for no apparent reason (might have been just the limitations in how the 3d showed the situations) and thankfully no more warping/teleporting/strange sudden movements off course (probably same reason as previous). Also kinda like the fact that my players that break through on goal don't stop and wait for the other 19 players to catch up before going in for a finish. Just a couple of things that annoyed the hell out of me in 2016 even though I figured most of the things really didn't happen exactly as displayed.

Still gettind ridiculous claims of first team football from backups and hot prospects less than halfway into the first season. Also think the fans reactions to trial players can be a bit overboard, when they make comments about trial players that make it sound that we have made long time commitments that will comw back and haunt us. Not sure what purpose, the question from the press about if we are going to permanently sign the player 2 minutes after taking him on trial, is suppose to fill. If I knew if I wanted the guy or not before I got a chance to evaluate him I wouldn't had taken him on trial.

Using a back 3. The central defender stands in line with the two defenders either side of him rather than a couple yards further back as he should be when the team is in possession. This doesn't appear to be affecting the build up play too much but it does seem odd that he doesn't provide a passing option.

Also when the team loses the ball and the opposition counterattack the central defender is the one who breaks the line to press the ball carrier, leaving a gaping hole behind him for opposing players to run into. Obviously this is bound to happen on occasion, when a forward has run off the midfield and found some space just in front of the central defender. However it looks to me like this happens preferentially even when one of the side centre backs are equidistant from the ball carrier and are less risky pressing options. 

On the upside the match engine on the whole seems fairly improved this year and particularly pleasing is the variability of the build up rather than the wing based dominance of last year.

The social feed seems like a nice idea and I do believe that it will help with game immersion once there are far more possible reactions. I can echo what others have said on this thread of noticing the positive, neutral and negative responses to every situation.

21 hours ago, steven gilbert said:

PAOK were deducted points as they did not show up to the second semi-final match against Olympiacos in last year's Greek Cup. I think points deductions are shown at the bottom of the league table screen.

So I checked and you were right! Love the detail implemented in the game as always :)

Guys anyone else noticed that there were too many goals in the first 3-4 minutes of the match? And that's the case for many teams, they score often in the first 1-4 minutes.

Im pretty positive that it's been happening way more than it should, but maybe it has already been reported?

Edited by Persee

1 hour ago, Persee said:

Guys anyone else noticed that there were too many goals in the first 3-4 minutes of the match? And that's the case for many teams, they score often in the first 1-4 minutes.

Im pretty positive that it's been happening way more than it should, but maybe it has already been reported?

It hasn't been reported, so please upload your save in the ME section of the bugs forum if you're convinced it's an issue.

Love the speed of the game now it's gone all 64 bit on us. I am flying through seasons - huge swathes of fixtures are processed in the blink of an eye.

Apart from the new things already discussed, I just found a new feature I really like - the ability to have more than one shortlist, and you can name them too.

All in all this is a very impressive Beta release - probably the best iteration of the game at this stage of the release cycle I have seen. And like many of us here, I have played literally EVERY version of this game since it was on the Commodore Amiga...

Loving the game so far, best one for a long time. 

Minor issue - I was talking to a player and promising him Champions League football to persuade him to stay and I got the options of either promising it this season or by next season. I initially went with by next season, to see if that would satisfy him, didn't want to promise something I couldn't definitely deliver. He didn't like it, but then I have no option to say "Ok, well if we don't qualify this year I'll sell you", my only options are either agree to sell him now, or be a jerk and say something about him training with the kids and rotting whilst his contract runs out.

It would be good to be able to negotiate a bit more, similar to the pre-contract talks feature

After a couple of days with the beta I'm happy. It's a polished version of FM 16, which is good. It runs fast and smooth. The bugs I've encountered are all addressed in the forum as far as I can see. I really like that Brexit are in the game. Only thing I really don't like is the new news/social feed. It's scary and confusing, and I feel I'm missing important news. Guess I'll get used to it. 

Still can't win games, though. But that's me being a tactical moron. :p

Edited by Viking

im mid table as newcastle after 15 games i win my home games and loose my away games after around 20 years of experience playing the game im very disheartened with the consistency of what im seeing tactically. after saving before certain games and replaying them with diff players and postions the results are the same ,i have even micro'd it and praised players for there conduct/ of training well just to increase morale on the day of games, this does nothing at all from what i can see.

8 minutes ago, Domathon said:

im mid table as newcastle after 15 games i win my home games and loose my away games after around 20 years of experience playing the game im very disheartened with the consistency of what im seeing tactically. after saving before certain games and replaying them with diff players and postions the results are the same ,i have even micro'd it and praised players for there conduct/ of training well just to increase morale on the day of games, this does nothing at all from what i can see.

So if you are consistently winning at home & consistently losing away + you keep your tactics the same whats the difference between the matches?

The answer is the opposition.  They will be setting up differently at home to when they are away and you aren't adapting to the change in situation. 

The result is the opposition are more likely to score the first goal which is vital in terms of how the match flows. 

Edited by Cougar2010

3 hours ago, Pompey1978 said:

Apart from the new things already discussed, I just found a new feature I really like - the ability to have more than one shortlist, and you can name them too.

That's not new, though. I never use the feature, but I'm pretty sure that was already there in FM15.

Edited by eriktous

38 minutes ago, Davey Boy said:

Should we be able to save set piece tactics on beta? because i can't.

I think you can save them, but you can't reload them. The beta doesn't allow outside files to be imported.

I really wish FM would put the a familiarity icon inside the tactic instructions screen so you don't have to keep going out to check how the team is adapting to certain styles of play. I thought they might have put it in for this iteration. 

Spoiler

Edited by Thermaltake

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Cougar2010 said:

So if you are consistently winning at home & consistently losing away + you keep your tactics the same whats the difference between the matches?

The answer is the opposition.  They will be setting up differently at home to when they are away and you aren't adapting to the change in situation. 

The result is the opposition are more likely to score the first goal which is vital in terms of how the match flows. 

Yeah have to say this is often my experience. Teams are always more likely to be more attacking when they're at home unless they're coming up against a team much better than them on paper. The best football managers can adapt to any situations! 

Two questions for SI:

1) Is this beta going to get any updates during its lifespan or it will get one big patch at the end of the beta testing period for release?

2) Is there going to be a changelog on release like you do with patches so that we know what has been fixed?

had a couple of weird issues playing with two managers on the beta, every now and then the game refuses to continue unless you switch manager even though there is nothing you must respond to in the other managers inbox, it's only a minor issue but I figured it's something you might want to look at in case it can develop in to something bigger.

• Administrators
28 minutes ago, Eborg said:

Two questions for SI:

1) Is this beta going to get any updates during its lifespan or it will get one big patch at the end of the beta testing period for release?

2) Is there going to be a changelog on release like you do with patches so that we know what has been fixed?

There are no plans for a changelog from beta to release. No plans are set in stone for any updates prior to release, but there are some issues we'd like to address as soon as we can. As always no pre-announcements, if we do release anything you'll see it on the forums. 

Thanks. 

3 minutes ago, Neil Brock said:

Yep but depends how much RAM you have overall really. 

I have 8gb, the UI seems very responsive, And overall performance is brilliant, I just thought 64 bit would use more ram, must admit don't really understand this 64 bit technical stuff, I'm getting old...

Edited by Weller1980

On 10/21/2016 at 13:20, corneille said:

Anyone finding it too easy to unsettle rival players simply by putting bids and declaring interest?

Further to this, I think transfers are too heavily weighted to favour the human player. Playing as Arsenal I can pretty much sign any U23 player in the world even if they have recently been transferred or signed a new contract. 

Case in point would be Renato Sanches and Dele Alli. Neither should have any interest in joining and neither club should want to sell. 

15 hours ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

Has anyone seen that feature from the reveal video whereby you get a report on a player that includes a highlight video of the player?  Just wondering what kind of highlights it shows. Different games or just a couple of highlights from the one game? 

if you scout a player you get the optiont o include a highlights package , when you get the report the highlight button is on the bottom right of the screen

3 minutes ago, corneille said:

Further to this, I think transfers are too heavily weighted to favour the human player. Playing as Arsenal I can pretty much sign any U23 player in the world even if they have recently been transferred or signed a new contract. 

Case in point would be Renato Sanches and Dele Alli. Neither should have any interest in joining and neither club should want to sell. 

As united i picked up Reiss Nelson via compensation from Arsenal one of their top youths- FM16 the player normally would have shown no interest so not sure how balanced/easy this aspect is now

• Administrators
9 minutes ago, Per Annum said:

I offered a few free agents deals on the morning of the november free transfer deadline.

Not a single one responded before the deadline 12+ hours later. Isn't this a step back from previous editions?

Sounds like an issue to me, can you raise it here for us? - https://community.sigames.com/forum/517-transfers-contracts-and-scouting-issues/

Thanks

Tactic familiarity and individual familiarity for players look a bit overwhelming this year. Took over my team on july 1st and after 45 days, a full pre-season camp and 12 friendly matches all familiarity bars are still around 50% (individual bars for players are often lower). Seems a bit unfair tbh.

• Administrators
Just now, kandersson said:

Tactic familiarity and individual familiarity for players look a bit overwhelming this year. Took over my team on july 1st and after 45 days, a full pre-season camp and 12 friendly matches all familiarity bars are still around 50% (individual bars for players are often lower). Seems a bit unfair tbh.

How many tactics are you trying to 'learn' at once? 

When asked about "Upcoming opponent's manager has marked out player X as weak link"

Where appropriate, one of the options should be "Well player X has made one sub experience in 6 months and is in reserves so, yeah"

Edited by Per Annum
typo

3 minutes ago, Per Annum said:

When asked about "Upcoming opponent's manager has marked out player X as weak link"

Where appropriate, one of the options should be "Well player X has made one sub experience in 6 months and is in reserves so, yeah"

So that's still around, huh?

5 minutes ago, Neil Brock said:

How many tactics are you trying to 'learn' at once? 

Admittedly I have two tactics in two slots (same formation but different mentality and settings: your typical home and away variation), and I also signed some new players but 40+ days on very heavy workload all focused on match tactics, a full pre-season-camp and 12 friendlies should probably pay more dividends? Most bars have just become 'competent' and the team is actually showing progress on the pitch (won first two league matches yay), but after such an intensive pre-season I was expecting somewhere between 'accomplished' and 'fluid'...

• Administrators
1 hour ago, kandersson said:

Admittedly I have two tactics in two slots (same formation but different mentality and settings: your typical home and away variation), and I also signed some new players but 40+ days on very heavy workload all focused on match tactics, a full pre-season-camp and 12 friendlies should probably pay more dividends? Most bars have just become 'competent' and the team is actually showing progress on the pitch (won first two league matches yay), but after such an intensive pre-season I was expecting somewhere between 'accomplished' and 'fluid'...

As you say, two tactics (especially if there's a number of differences between them) and new players which take it's toll on learning tactics. Just to clarify, 'Tactical' training works on tactical/mental attributes rather than tactics training. Only the pre-match 'match training' of Tactics works on the tactics you employ in match ad the familiarity the players have to it. 

Personally I hope the tactic familiarity bars are as hard to fill as possible. I want it to feel like a real achievement when i get the right combination of players and tactic, something that in the real world is pretty hard to do and very hard to maintain, especially after players have tasted success.

Edited by RiverReveal666

4 minutes ago, Neil Brock said:

As you say, two tactics (especially if there's a number of differences between them) and new players which take it's toll on learning tactics. Just to clarify, 'Tactical' training works on tactical/mental attributes rather than tactics training. Only the pre-match 'match training' of Tactics works on the tactics you employ in match ad the familiarity the players have to it. 

yeah I meant 'match training' set to 'more match training', plus very heavy intensity level of general training. Seems to take much longer than past editions of the game to learn tactics at accomplished/fluid level.

15 minutes ago, Neil Brock said:

Why is this still even a thing? Makes absolutely no sense for this just to be a first season thing. Why doesn't it reset in season 2,3,4 etc?

It's not like season 1 is the first time these players have played football before.

• Administrators
31 minutes ago, martplfc1 said:

Why is this still even a thing? Makes absolutely no sense for this just to be a first season thing. Why doesn't it reset in season 2,3,4 etc?

It's not like season 1 is the first time these players have played football before.

It changes depending on the amount of overhaul in your squad and whether or not you choose to look at a different tactic. I believe some tactics (say a basic 4-4-2) will have a higher familiarity starting point at the beginning of the game than say a 3-4-1-2 asymmetrical with unusual team instructions. 

1 minute ago, Neil Brock said:

It changes depending on the amount of overhaul in your squad and whether or not you choose to look at a different tactic. I believe some tactics (say a basic 4-4-2) will have a higher familiarity starting point at the beginning of the game than say a 3-4-1-2 asymmetrical with unusual team instructions. 

In all the games I've played the difference is negligible. It always starts as awkward. For example playing short passing with Liverpool = awkward. Playing mixed = awkward. Playing direct = awkward.

However, go from short to direct in season 2 (or at any time after the tactic becomes familiar), the team will still be accomplished or fluid with the passing type.

The season 1 awkwardness is completely unrealistic. 

4 minutes ago, torehj said:

Could someone tell me what information I am supposed to get out of the "Passing Network" in the Post-Match Analysis. It just looks chaotic to me and very difficult to see any differences from one match to the next.

I'm the same , it's just a blur of lines.

It's useless as a tool on an individual player level but I guess it kinda shows where the ball is mostly being passed about. No clue how it's meant to be used/interpreted , though.

On 21/10/2016 at 02:43, Earnie is God! said:

In FM16, they apparently act more as IFs. They don't cut inside to play MC, they go further up the pitch and then cut inside to more of an AM position.

In FM17, they won't work either.
Herne: " It's not currently possible in FM17.  The Inverted Wingback role won't achieve similar positioning to what you may see at Man City. "

OK thanks for your answer.