Football Manager 2017 Pre-Release Beta Feedback Thread

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, corneille said:

Anyone finding it too easy to unsettle rival players simply by putting bids and declaring interest?

I'm finding that it happens to me a lot, I have a few unhappy players because their heads are easily turned.

• SI Staff
42 minutes ago, treble_yell_:-) said:

OK - Set Piece creation

I never used this previously and just left stuff on default , but I honestly don't think I've had an attempt on goal from a corner this year so decided to try making a corner routine.

1, How do you save the routine so it can be loaded in other tactics , if I save it doesn't give the option to name the routine or save it to the set piece folder (it just overwrites Routine 1)

2, Is there really no mirror option to just copy the routine for both sides ?

Saving is bugged I think.

I don't think set pieces go into enough detail. One of my jobs involves analysing football stuff and the depth of set piece creation is somewhat limited. Fairly basic template for a long throw involves  a centre back pushing up to the near post for the flick on the the main group (normally cf, cm/cf formation dependent, and opposite winger). You can get the positioning right but the "long" option often doesn't go to the near post for the big man. 

Corners similarly, there's a routine in real life used sparingly admittedly, where the main group of four plus the man on the keeper will camp inside the six yard box creating space for one of the two players (on FM I believe it is only possible to have one) at the edge of the area to theoretically attack the space when the ball is played to the edge. That isn't possible. 

Defensively the AI use zonal marking a lot, when - and certainly in England - I can count on one hand over the last few years that I've seen a team set up four players across the six yard box with a zonal/ man marking hybrid far more common. 

4 minutes ago, chob said:

I'm finding that it happens to me a lot, I have a few unhappy players because their heads are easily turned.

I just signed Anthony Martial for £25m and some clauses because he was unhappy at not being able to join Arsenal. This is much less than what they paid for him#

I can also pretty much sign any player under 21 regardless. My scout has quoted me £26m - £50m for Renato Sanches. There should be no way Bayern should want to sell so soon after just signing him

6 minutes ago, corneille said:

I just signed Anthony Martial for £25m and some clauses because he was unhappy at not being able to join Arsenal. This is much less than what they paid for him#

I can also pretty much sign any player under 21 regardless. My scout has quoted me £26m - £50m for Renato Sanches. There should be no way Bayern should want to sell so soon after just signing him

I think they've taken out the thing where players refuse to leave instantly too, although that could be just default db and not in game moves. 

In previous fm in your first season you couldnt offload the clubs irl summer signings other than the odd loan, but I've managed it easily this year. 

• SI Staff
10 minutes ago, FrancisM89 said:

Saving is bugged I think.

I don't think set pieces go into enough detail. One of my jobs involves analysing football stuff and the depth of set piece creation is somewhat limited. Fairly basic template for a long throw involves  a centre back pushing up to the near post for the flick on the the main group (normally cf, cm/cf formation dependent, and opposite winger). You can get the positioning right but the "long" option often doesn't go to the near post for the big man. 

Corners similarly, there's a routine in real life used sparingly admittedly, where the main group of four plus the man on the keeper will camp inside the six yard box creating space for one of the two players (on FM I believe it is only possible to have one) at the edge of the area to theoretically attack the space when the ball is played to the edge. That isn't possible. 

Defensively the AI use zonal marking a lot, when - and certainly in England - I can count on one hand over the last few years that I've seen a team set up four players across the six yard box with a zonal/ man marking hybrid far more common. 

Ha, less than 10 mins later I have an example that perfectly illustrates the long throw problem:

1. Mullen has the long throw, he has a long throw rating of 15. I have instructed every throw to be long. This ought to be going to number 5 on the six yard box.

92ce7e4482115353c4832c024928afb1.jpg

2. It doesn't, it goes to the main group, none of whom can head the ball for toffee and are there for the second ball knock down. In this case the ball is comfortably intercepted. 

de8ac987fdaf3209ac8be23728ffe26c.jpg

3. This then gives Tobermore the opportunity to counter attack.

c0928bf08470e9adc7d2654010fe1cdb.jpg

4. Which they score from because there's a lcb sized hole from where he's gone up to be the target, but hasn't been. 

a77964867ddaccb977a7d47ac2a56df5.jpg

1 minute ago, Per Annum said:

I think they've taken out the thing where players refuse to leave instantly too, although that could be just default db and not in game moves. 

In previous fm in your first season you couldnt offload the clubs irl summer signings other than the odd loan, but I've managed it easily this year. 

Yep they have.

I sold Lucas Perez in the first window. For a lot more than Arsenal spent too

After playing for a season and a half, I have to say that ME looks great and tactics wise it's a lot better than in 16. Good work.

Minor issue that's annoying for me it's kit selectinon. It's been happening for a long time.

To simply put it, in three main Italian derby games between Inter, Milan and Juventus, away teams use second or third kits all the time which ruins the derby atmosphere and feeling from the game.

I just can't get over playing in those Sprite lightblue-green shirts when I'm facing Juventus. Or playing in white against Milan.

It's probably the fact that teams have three kits now and algorithms see third kits more fitting than third with different shorts/socks. But it would be nice if you could add some exceptions for big games.

• Administrators
19 minutes ago, FrancisM89 said:

Ha, less than 10 mins later I have an example that perfectly illustrates the long throw problem:

Would be very useful if you could raise that with the pkm on the match engine forum please. That can be found here - https://community.sigames.com/forum/515-match-engine-issues/

The problem with corners is the more complex it is to set up, the easier it is for a human to exploit AI weaknesses,

I mucked around for a bit with one of the latter Championship managers demos to see how terrible it was.* They had a significantly more complex set piece creator. You had more freedom with player position, could create runners, and I think more flexibility in delivery of the ball.

This made it so easy to score from a corner it was stupid, You could win a game on corners alone, every match. The AI couldn't set up to mark properly, manage space or follow runners, meaning you could get a player into loads of space get the ball him and score with an easy header, tap in if the goalie moved.

Its a difficult balance I think and although corners could probably do with some improvement, Its a lot easier to get it wrong then it is to get right.

*long story short I brought CM5 when I got a decent, fast PC thinking it was like the old CM games I heard so many good things about. I didn't know about "The split" Football manger, and it was horrid, awful bug ridden rubbish. So bad I had to be persuaded to buy FM07, it left that bad an impression on PC football management sims

Edited by demodave
grammar errors

First of all i have to say i LOVE the Game this Year. But one thing is bothering me a lot.. The Values in the Bundesliga are very high and very unrealistic . 

Im Manager in Hamburg and almost the whole Squad has a Value barely lower than 10 Million € . Diekmeier for example 10,75m . Imagine someone wants him. He would probably be going for 20 M or more. It just makes it unrealistic and needs to be fixed imho !

Anyway sorry for the double post, got distracted by the discussion on corners.

On the Players page in the Analysis section during the match.  I think it is missing a icon where you can select all stats for a player. For example, when I'm viewing shots I want to be able to select all shots for an individual player, rather then going through rather then clicking on goals, then missed shots, then shots saved, etc.

Its just something that would be easier for me then clicking 5 times for every player. It gives me a quicker overview of a players performance.

2 minutes ago, haffaz77 said:

First of all i have to say i LOVE the Game this Year. But one thing is bothering me a lot.. The Values in the Bundesliga are very high and very unrealistic . 

Im Manager in Hamburg and almost the whole Squad has a Value barely lower than 10 Million € . Diekmeier for example 10,75m . Imagine someone wants him. He would probably be going for 20 M or more. It just makes it unrealistic and needs to be fixed imho !

Totally agree....the majority of my saves are usually in Germany and I've noticed this as im playing with VFB Stuttgart but had a check through the majority of German Bundesliga teams and talents and the prices are extorniate and unrealistic. Basic, average players with values of well over £10 million plus.

All in all I feel the game to be a great release thus far, only other gripe is the social media feed.....not feeling that if im being honest, adds very little to my save and the option to switch off is not there, which I find disappointing, hoping this is made an option, as it seems a fair few game users have similar gripes about this subject.

All in all positive apart from the two aforementioned :applause:

4 hours ago, TopToffee said:

FM seems to run SO much smoother and quicker on my mac than last year. Really impressive.

Hard to judge definitively, but if it's down to the 64bit version, it's a major change.

I play on MacBook Air and it is faster between highlights and at processing times ! Killer on the battery thou and loves to pump up the fans ( computer fans ) during a match ! 

1 minute ago, josh381991 said:

I play on MacBook Air and it is faster between highlights and at processing times ! Killer on the battery thou and loves to pump up the fans ( computer fans ) during a match ! 

I've found it to be a bit easier on battery life and fan usage than 16, but obviously YMMV

7 minutes ago, OLLMEISTER1 said:

All in all I feel the game to be a great release thus far, only other gripe is the social media feed.....

I find social media is OK. I really like getting fans reactions to things that happen, however I don't really like how news/subscriptions i could get in my inbox have been sort of consumed into it. I liked getting news in my inbox about other teams transfers in my league and what other clubs are doing. It now feels harder to get the info I want and seems more difficult to get the news I want.

Maybe I'm just taking time getting adjusted to it, and working out how to make the most of it.

Edited by demodave

1 minute ago, demodave said:

I don't really like how news/subscriptions i could get in my inbox have been sort of consumed into it. I liked getting news in my inbox about other teams transfers in my league and what other clubs are doing. It now feels harder to get the info I want and seems more difficult to get the new I want.

Maybe I'm just taking time getting adjusted to it, and working out how to make the most of it.

I agree, the phrase 'Don't fix something that isn't broke' springs to mind with the social media/news this year.

I understand it has become a big news tool but users should be able to toggle on/off IMO, each to their own I suppose.

1 minute ago, OLLMEISTER1 said:

I understand it has become a big news tool but users should be able to toggle on/off IMO, each to their own I suppose.

This is in the game. Click on manage and untick social in all leagues/cups/teams/players you follow.

And even easier: on the social feed tab select "news" instead of "news and social".

6 minutes ago, KUBI said:

This is in the game. Click on manage and untick social in all leagues/cups/teams/players you follow.

And even easier: on the social feed tab select "news" instead of "news and social".

What I am referring to is toggle on/off Social Media in general before entering a new save.

2 minutes ago, OLLMEISTER1 said:

What I am referring to is toggle on/off Social Media in general before entering a new save.

There are already a lot of things you can set on/off at the start of the game. If they add every feature like Brexit, Social etc. a lot of user will start saves and find out that they forgot something to toggle. I prefer a mix, things you can set on/off during the games and things who needs to be set at start as on/off like masking, transfer window etc.

I'm not sure if this only changed for FM17, or if it was in FM16 as well - I didn't play that much last year - but I can't seem to find any way to make a board request for extra youth coaches? Is this tied to the academy level or something like that?

3 minutes ago, kingtoad said:

I'm not sure if this only changed for FM17, or if it was in FM16 as well - I didn't play that much last year - but I can't seem to find any way to make a board request for extra youth coaches? Is this tied to the academy level or something like that?

Kingtoad , I think you just go to board on the left hand side and there you can make requests for extra coaches, scouts , physios etc 

Just now, josh381991 said:

Kingtoad , I think you just go to board on the left hand side and there you can make requests for extra coaches, scouts , physios etc 

I'm not in front of the game right now so can't check, but I'm pretty sure I was able to request extra first team coaches but not extra youth coaches. The board already think I have too many, so maybe that's why it's not available?

Quick question about the overall speed of the game, I'll give you the situation.

On FM14 I can blaze through seasons on my laptop, matchdays of about 5 matches take around 30 seconds to process. On FM16, it crawls. The same matchday of 5 games will take at least 5 minutes to process, and god help me if there are a lot of games in one day, like the early rounds of a cup. Not uncommon to be sitting there for 15-20 minutes.

Where would you folks say FM17 falls in this respect? Faster than 14? Slower than 16? Somewhere in the middle? This will be the deciding factor on whether or not I buy the game.

Thanks for any help!

13 minutes ago, Welshace said:

Hard to say, how fast depends on your particular set up tbh..

For me fm14 didn't run that fast, fm16 much faster..

Fm 17, for me, runs faster still.. very much so.

Interesting. I wonder what it was specifically that made FM16 so much slower than 14 for me.

On 10/20/2016 at 12:47, Cougar2010 said:

I haven't tried it but if you go past that first screen it says you can pick a team later in the setup process with more information available.

Edit:

Its not what i was looking for.

Before starting the game you had the option to look at the teams. Now its just a huge waste of space in my opinion when you select your team and it has no information whatsoever, atleast the general information would be nice to look at. Even more concerning it is, looking at the fact there is enough space to display this information.

The second thing is, i cannot let the game tell me what team i should choose because that option seems to be gone.

I found this really disappointing, it was a very appealing factor for me when starting a new game and going beyond the obvious choices is made in the past 6 installments (A-League, Rangers, Serie C/any 3rd league in the big leagues).

A chance i did not see it? Or is it really gone for now?

However: When i ADD a new Manager to the game which already started i can see this options again. This is really confusing.

I added a screenshot for this.

20161021170741_1.jpg

Edited by rallav
Did not look good. Adding screenshot.

Got a question re scouting:- I started a game initially with Ajax to get used to it, and I've now started a game with Brentford. When I was with Ajax I obviously had a greater scouting range and so certain managers/coaches would show up to me. However now with Brentford, and with my scouting range not quite as advanced, these same people don't appear. My question is, as I advance through the game and build my knowledge up, will these same people suddenly appear to me or is it now hardcoded into my game that these won't be appearing?

2 hours ago, corneille said:

I'm scoring a lot of goals from crosses but they are varied finishes. Headers, near post and volleys. No sign of the over powered back post finishes I saw on FM16.

Where can i find the screen that shows the breakdown of assists?

Anyone know?

1 hour ago, KUBI said:

To be perfectly honest, while I like the social media feature and the way the news tabs work in general, that subscription interface is a bit of a nightmare and not very well explained.  There's a "Player Shortlist" option there, but it looks like it dumped all the players on my default shortlist into the "Players" section of the subscription, and changing the type of news I receive in the shortlist section doesn't seem to change the players, so I think I'd need to change the news set for each one individually?  I tried removing all of them and moving them out and back into that shortlist, but now I'm not sure I'm getting any news from them, I'll probably just have to unfollow and re-follow and hope the correct news set shows up (I like using large shortlists so it's a bit of a hassle).

I mean, I'm probably doing something terribly wrong, but the interface still seems wonky.  I'm not sure if it might be better if it was more like the old subscription interface with two check boxes (for inbox and social media, and either or both could be checked) for each type of news on the list?

• SI Staff
19 minutes ago, rallav said:

Edit:

Its not what i was looking for.

Before starting the game you had the option to look at the teams. Now its just a huge waste of space in my opinion when you select your team and it has no information whatsoever, atleast the general information would be nice to look at. Even more concerning it is, looking at the fact there is enough space to display this information.

The second thing is, i cannot let the game tell me what team i should choose because that option seems to be gone.

I found this really disappointing, it was a very appealing factor for me when starting a new game and going beyond the obvious choices is made in the past 6 installments (A-League, Rangers, Serie C/any 3rd league in the big leagues).

A chance i did not see it? Or is it really gone for now?

However: When i ADD a new Manager to the game which already started i can see this options again. This is really confusing.

I added a screenshot for this.

20161021170741_1.jpg

That is also the screen you get taken to if you select 'Pick Team Later' on that first team selection screen. It pops up in the same place it always used to do when starting a new save.

1 minute ago, Jack Deal said:

That is also the screen you get taken to if you select 'Pick Team Later' on that first team selection screen. It pops up in the same place it always used to do when starting a new save.

Thanks for the reply. I found it now thanks to you, Iam happy to beta test now. :)

20 minutes ago, Boss said:

Got a question re scouting:- I started a game initially with Ajax to get used to it, and I've now started a game with Brentford. When I was with Ajax I obviously had a greater scouting range and so certain managers/coaches would show up to me. However now with Brentford, and with my scouting range not quite as advanced, these same people don't appear. My question is, as I advance through the game and build my knowledge up, will these same people suddenly appear to me or is it now hardcoded into my game that these won't be appearing?

The players/staff that appear on your search screens depends on the knowledge your club has, so once you have increased Brentfords knowledge upto where your Ajax knowledge was the same people will appear. For example if as Brentford you had no knowledge of Holland so no Dutch staff appeared in your search screen, once you signed a staff member with Dutch knowledge (or sent a scout to Holland and he got enough knowledge), Dutch staff/players would then start appearing on your search screens (depending on what filters you have set).

6 minutes ago, michaeltmurrayuk said:

The players/staff that appear on your search screens depends on the knowledge your club has, so once you have increased Brentfords knowledge upto where your Ajax knowledge was the same people will appear. For example if as Brentford you had no knowledge of Holland so no Dutch staff appeared in your search screen, once you signed a staff member with Dutch knowledge (or sent a scout to Holland and he got enough knowledge), Dutch staff/players would then start appearing on your search screens (depending on what filters you have set).

Thanks for getting back to me!

I'm guessing this also applies to people I'm searching manually too? I.e. with Ajax I could see Oscar Garcia as manager of RB Salzburg, however now when I go onto view RB Salzburg there is no manager there.

loving the beta

I started unemployed and eventually took the job at Wealdstone who were rock bottom and leaking goals like mad

I've managed to steady the ship and results were rough at the start but I've managed a few 1-0 wins, we seem very poor entertainment wise but a solid unit

am I jose mourinho?

joking , am I right in thinking the editor is not in the beta?

1 minute ago, Boss said:

Thanks for getting back to me!

I'm guessing this also applies to people I'm searching manually too? I.e. with Ajax I could see Oscar Garcia as manager of RB Salzburg, however now when I go onto view RB Salzburg there is no manager there.

No if you are going to the team directly then you should be able to see them, only the player/staff search screens under the transfer section depend on your knowledge, you can always do a manual search if you know the name and that will always find them.

However if your Brentford save is a different save game from your Ajax one (rather than you just taking the brentford job in the same save) then different players/staff would have been loaded into the game when you started depending on the database settings you selected, so if you Ajax game you selected just the Dutch League and your Brentford game you selected just the English Leagues then you'd get different people loaded into the save game, hence why Salzburg don't have a manager in your Brentford save. If you wanted both saves to have exactly the same staff then when creating them you'd need to ensure you have selected the same database optons for each save (for example loading both the Dutch and English leagues in both saves should generate the same staff in each save).

8 hours ago, steven gilbert said:

PAOK were deducted points as they did not show up to the second semi-final match against Olympiacos in last year's Greek Cup. I think points deductions are shown at the bottom of the league table screen.

Oh thanks for the info :) I will check if that's the case. If it's true, FM will never stop impressing me lol

• SI Staff
7 hours ago, Gerd545 said:

15exmhg.jpg

Non-realistic or bad luck?!

Player is C. Ronaldo

Hey Gerd545,

It looks to me as if he has picked up a recurring injury from that first hip injury. It is possible for players to either start in the DB with a recurring injury or, as appears to be the case here, have an injury become recurring if it is particularly bad. Harsh luck I am afraid. Wrap him up!

Hope that helps,
Seb.

i have moments when am just skimming through screens like tactics and player profiles and the game just freezes for 5-10 seconds, mayb its my computer was wondering if any other beta players experienced it?

11 minutes ago, nangaparbat said:

Is there ever any plan to substantially improve the speed of the game? As a backend developer there seem to be a lot of areas where the speed (as in day to day processing) could be improved but thus far has not been.

change the game settings from GPU to software then your game will be a lot quicker

6 hours ago, Kazza said:

Just a small observation. I noticed that NUFC still have as a philosophy signing young players. As far as I know Rafa Benitze changed that and brought about a new approach? Before the game goes full fat where would I approach SI to look into possibly changing that?

Cheers

Any advice on where to raise this. As it does make a difference to the NUFC setup.

Everything seems fine ATM, I especially like the match engine and hope it doesn't change after multiple patches like in other years.

Miles mentioned in the big reveal that we were able to talk to prospective signings agents abut pre contract agreements but I can't see the option for this, can someone point me in the right direction please.