Football Manager 2017 Pre-Release Beta Feedback Thread

• SI Staff

@eriktous & @Lord Rowell - could you please post any perceived ME issues in the ME bugs forum, found here - https://community.sigames.com/forum/515-match-engine-issues/

Ideally we'd need a PKM for each example. That way the proper people can get investigating.

Thank you kindly.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The number of injuries in the game is terrible - I have 4 players out injured from my First Team for more than 4  to 5 months now.

Another 2 to 3 out injured for about 4 weeks - 6 weeks.

Please fix this asap.

1 minute ago, manmeet81 said:

The number of injuries in the game is terrible - I have 4 players out injured from my First Team for more than 4  to 5 months now.

Please fix this asap.

This is just bad luck. If you compare it with other clubs in the league, do they all have that many injured players?

• SI Staff
2 minutes ago, manmeet81 said:

Please fix this asap.

Hi manmeet81,

If you think you've a bug please do post in the bugs forum. Regarding injuries, that sounds unfortunate but not unrealistic. This is the current injury table in the Premier League - http://www.physioroom.com/news/english_premier_league/epl_injury_table.php

Only a small thing but I like the addition of the 'social feed' and the incorporated tweets. Perfectly mimics the inanity of COYS Twitter at its best and worst. I'm sure the content will get repetitive over time but so far I like.

5 minutes ago, edgar555 said:

Only a small thing but I like the addition of the 'social feed' and the incorporated tweets. Perfectly mimics the inanity of COYS Twitter at its best and worst. I'm sure the content will get repetitive over time but so far I like.

Yeah... be nice if it was moddable so we could download a tweet pack or whatever you'd want to call it.

I see that the pointless 30 men preliminary squad (international) is still there.  What's the point... where we only get to stare at them for 12 days before cutting 7 of them for the final 23?    In real life, 1-2 friendly matches are usually arranged in this period to give players a chance to prove themselves before making the final cut.

http://www.football-italia.net/84808/conte-names-italy-squad

Antonio Conte has named his 30-man preliminary Italy squad for Euro 2016, with no place for Sebastian Giovinco or Andrea Pirlo.

The CT will name a 23-man squad for the tournament, so seven will have to be cut from the initial list.

The Azzurri stars will have the chance to prove their worth ahead of the tournament in France, with friendlies against Scotland and Finland

http://www.dw.com/en/germany-coach-joachim-löw-names-provisional-squad-for-euro-2016/a-19262463

Löw will have just one friendly match to look at his players before he has to finalize his roster, a game against Slovakia in Augsburg on May 29. They play Hungary in Gelsenkirchen on June 4 in another friendly.

My only gripe with the 'social feed' so far is that the spelling and grammar is far too accurate compared to real-life Twitter! :lol:

As far as injuries go, although I'm only a few games into the first season, I haven't noticed any major problems. My best young attacking midfielder missed the whole of pre-season after getting injured almost as soon as I clicked 'Continue' for the first time, and two of my full-backs are currently on the sidelines, but there's no injury crisis at my end. And I've had training intensity set to 'High' pretty much since I started playing.

1 hour ago, KUBI said:

This is just bad luck. If you compare it with other clubs in the league, do they all have that many injured players?

I don't think so, way too many threads going around regarding injuries nothing about bad luck

Are those fan-made fixes for the German national team, German and Brazillian club names, logos and facepacks etc. going to appear in the Steam Workshop after release or those will still have to be found manually on various websites? I have not used Steam Workshop so far so I do not know what are the rules there.

1 minute ago, penza said:

I don't think so, way too many threads going around regarding injuries nothing about bad luck

It's also because people lack perspective. For most, 5 or 6 players is a bug when it's completely normal.

Just now, Eborg said:

Are those fan-made fixes for the German national team, German and Brazillian club names, logos and facepacks etc. going to appear in the Steam Workshop after release or those will still have to be found manually on various websites? I have not used Steam Workshop so far so I do not know what are the rules there.

This can't be discussed on the forum.

8 minutes ago, penza said:

There are about the same amount of threads and posts about injuries like every year. 

5 minutes ago, penza said:

Every single year it's the same though. someone gets an injury crisis, and cries that the game's broken. 

In my current first team squad, I don't have a single player injured right now. 

OJhogrF.png

Loving this game so far. A few issues, don't know if these are strictly bugs or not so posting them here:

- T. Fosu Mensa's agent hates me even though the only interaction I had with any of his players was a conversation with TFM which TFM was happy with

- My striker shouldn't be picking up the ball from the stands to give to the opposing GK for a goal kick

- Distance covered is identical for both teams in every match

- Some translation is not complete (I play in Norwegian but there's a lot of English snuck in, especially in background staff and scouting reports)

- Inverted wingbacks don't really invert. They are usually wider than my wingers, even though my wingers are instructed to maximize width

- Is the missed/hit goal ratio off a little bit? Usually around 15-20% of shots hit target (low?). Would say this is due to my tactics but the same applies for the opposition.

Just now, Eborg said:

Really? I was not aware of that, especially since those mods/updates are fan-made, sorry.

Licencing issues prevent real names etc, so obviously anything that potentially gets around those restrictions can't be supported by SI.

22 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

It's also because people lack perspective. For most, 5 or 6 players is a bug when it's completely normal.

Pretty much. I do find it slightly puzzling though that the other constant hasn't much cropped up yet. I.e. AI always needs fewer shots to score, games rigged, engine bias towards AI teams. One of the promises for FM 2017 were in my opinion pretty much needed improvements to AI role picks and in-match decision making. I would have expected that to show somewhere somehow -- or do you delete any of such posts whenever they come in by now as they inevitable draw the odd follow-ups, name callings and forum meltdowns? :D

edit: One thing about injuries often overlooked is that depending on the starting squad, several players are going to be out for months already, depending on the club. The first (pre-)season could always exaggerate stuff. A version or two ago there were several BL clubs who went into season prep with 5-7 players out already as at the date the game starts, they were out in real football too, which is always edited into the db. So the amount you can pick up early first season isn't necessarily indicative of how the game deals with injuries, which, as voiced numerous times, is rather too lax than he opposite, and confirmed by the long-term soak testing anyway.

Edited by Svenc

I've now played a pre-season with Arsenal, and half-a-season in the Conference North with Stourbridge, and I can start taking some conclusions regarding the match engine. I think I've noticed a few imbalances:

- Several people have complained players are too eager to take speculative long shots. Whilst this is definitely linked to overly-aggressive mentality and to lack of support/passing options, I think there's an exaggerated effect here and players simply take this option a little too often.

- Likewise, people have been complaining there's too many frontal freekicks. I indeed feel this is the case.

- On the other hand, I think there's too few cards. I think I've seen a total of two reds (in the same match!). I don't recall any instances of 3/4 yellow cards to the same team in a match. As I'm playing a very cagey counter-attacking system you'd think I'd be picking up cards all the time. I'm starting to wonder whether it's worth turning on "get stuck in" to take advantage of these cautious refs.

- I'm a little surprised as to how easy it is to patiently build up play in the National North. I think something's off here. When you start approaching the opposition area I indeed notice the difference between my Stourbridge side and my Arsenal side, as the lack of technical ability and creativity is clear in the final third; and in the National North you see a lot more passing mistakes by defenders; but in the early stages of buildup in midfield it's a little too easy to pass around the opposition if you field a stacked midfield on a patient style, specially against 4-4-2s. Against formations with a trio of midfielders it's much harder, which I guess makes sense as there's fewer passing lanes through the middle, but in general I think AI teams are far too passive when pressing our early buildup stages. I expected football to be much scrappier in midfield at this level.

- I still see a lot of "but he didn't mean it!" crosses this year. Much fewer of them go directly in, but keepers save them for corners all the time.

When you add all of this, I expect people to gravitate a lot to more cautious mentalities this year. Counter is doing wonders for me at Stourbridge, and my Arsenal side clicked much better better on Standard than Control. You get less rushed speculative shots, you can build up play patiently rather easily, and it's easy to park a bus without picking up too many cards. There's still some drawbacks to the more cautious mentalities, which means they're not "easy win mode", but I think the balance is slightly in favour of them.

... all of this being said, this is an excellent step forward on FM16! I can safely say crosses are "fixed", as the behaviour around wide areas makes a hell of a lot more sense. There's enough variety between the various types of crosses, cutbacks, players have stopped shooting from silly angles, crossed far post goals no longer happen all the time. Bonus points too to the obvious increased accuracy on shooting from normal chances, which makes them look more realistic. Players still miss chances as they do in real life, but unmarked players with an easy shooting opportunity down the floor, are no longer a worse chance than an hard-to-control aerial ball, like they seemed in FM16. I'm very happy with the engine, and all the imbalances I'm reporting are subtle and subjective rather than massively game-breaking.

Can some one help. I have no idea what pass combinations are,

• I'm Not entirely sure what the lines do,
  • When It says Jack Rodwell has 94 pass combinations, what does that mean? He has made 94 passes? passed to 94 players!?
  • What do the dots mean, they don't really bare much resemblance to avg. positions

I wanted to make another observation but forgot. With Arsenal, against parked buses, I noticed a lot of blocked shots. This makes sense, but the problem is that in this engine you still get very few *deflected* shots. It's as if players are a solid wall, in real life it'll just subtly clip a players foot here and there, and slightly change the trajectory, not send it in on a 90 degrees angle to a throw-in all the time. I suspect this is a limitation of the physics engine and hard to fix, though. 

Noikee my Preston team have been fined five times in 1.5 seasons for having more than five players booked, and am confident that I have two or three per game. I have aggressive tactics, but just reminding you your sample size is still pretty small 

27 minutes ago, Per Annum said:

Noikee my Preston team have been fined five times in 1.5 seasons for having more than five players booked, and am confident that I have two or three per game. I have aggressive tactics, but just reminding you your sample size is still pretty small 

You're right that my sample size is pretty small and I can't take definitive conclusions from it.

However, I still think it's pretty weird I'm conceding loads of freekicks in dangerous positions yet I'm not seeing yellow cards for it. Yellow cards should be a drawback for defensive systems that commit a lot of fouls, not only a drawback for aggressive/violent teams, or teams that commit many men forward and then foul opponents in counter-attacks.

Also, I've only just noticed this post from the previous page that agrees with some of my other observations, notably #3 and #4:

5 hours ago, Lord Rowell said:

Some more thoughts on the match engine. As per previous post, I'm very positive about it on the whole so these are just very specific issues that I think could be looked at.

Context, managing Sunderland in EPL.

1. I am seeing a lot of defender clearances hitting another player, often one of players on own side - seems like a little throw-back to FM13 IIRC

2. Too many crosses and goals from RHS of the pitch, seems unbalanced - that's observational rather than data based. Btw, its not because of Patrick Van Aanholt as I have a replacement :)

3. Too many free-kicks in dangerous areas.

4. Its too easy even with a poor team like Sunderland to keep the ball. 6 games in my passing accuracy is 83%, highest in the division. I got 52% of possession at Old Trafford (though I did lost 2-0). Home to Swansea, when I went 1-0, 2-0, 3-0 up, the AI opposition made no attempt to get the ball from me and continued to play in a deep 42(DM)1,2(W)1 formation, making it very easy for me to control & see out the game.

But, minor tweaks. At this stage, this is the best ME I've played.

1 hour ago, demodave said:

Can some one help. I have no idea what pass combinations are,

• I'm Not entirely sure what the lines do,
  • When It says Jack Rodwell has 94 pass combinations, what does that mean? He has made 94 passes? passed to 94 players!?
  • What do the dots mean, they don't really bare much resemblance to avg. positions

slika 2.jpg

it is a map with positions and passing network. The tinnest line between the dots is 3 passes between two players, the thicker the line, more passes have been exchanged between two players. The position of the dots is average position on the pitch and the bigger the dot more touches player had had. Very handy tool to understand who was involved, what were the passing patterns and where the ball and players moved. It is part of all game analysis'.

However, it is really poorly implemented in the game since SI put all the passes and no differences in thicness so is jjsut a nonsense. also, the dots aren't representing the number of touches so it is really not as useful as it should be. However, I believe they will upgrade it quite soon to a normal standard.

8 hours ago, Viking said:

I did not get an initial transfer budget for my Brentford side in the Championship before the second season.  Is this normal, or should I report it as a bug?

Anyone?

Also, I repeatedly get loan offers for my recently bought CD with a rotation status. He has played in 100% of the leauge games so far this season. Is that a bug?

Edited by Viking

I am having real issues as NUFC. I am trying to play as they do in rl and I am favourites for 95% of the matches I play. Yet I cannot get an away win and draw quite a few times at home. I recently tried playing full out Attacking then Overload as I was 2-1 down after 50minutes. Never made any difference - ended up 2-1.

Normally I can generally do well but cannot seem to get my team to gel. Cannot put my finger on it as most people on here are saying that the ME and game play seems good and no doubt that is the case.

4 minutes ago, Kazza said:

I am having real issues as NUFC. I am trying to play as they do in rl and I am favourites for 95% of the matches I play. Yet I cannot get an away win and draw quite a few times at home. I recently tried playing full out Attacking then Overload as I was 2-1 down after 50minutes. Never made any difference - ended up 2-1.

Normally I can generally do well but cannot seem to get my team to gel. Cannot put my finger on it as most people on here are saying that the ME and game play seems good and no doubt that is the case.

Good ME doesnt mean winning more. Might be because you are favorites, teams park the bus and going attacking/overload doesnt result in 'good' attacks but only lots of shots that are from bad angles and 'bad' chances. Team doesnt gel, but that takes a lot of time normally too. 

I'm not liking that the in pre-season friendlies where I like to swap the entire team around the players who come on don't automatically show at the top of the screen that comes up between highlights so you have to scroll down to see their ratings.

1 hour ago, MBarbaric said:

it is a map with positions and passing network. The tinnest line between the dots is 3 passes between two players, the thicker the line, more passes have been exchanged between two players. The position of the dots is average position on the pitch and the bigger the dot more touches player had had. Very handy tool to understand who was involved, what were the passing patterns and where the ball and players moved. It is part of all game analysis'.

However, it is really poorly implemented in the game since SI put all the passes and no differences in thicness so is jjsut a nonsense. also, the dots aren't representing the number of touches so it is really not as useful as it should be. However, I believe they will upgrade it quite soon to a normal standard.

Thanks very much for this. It was completely alien to me. I think I've got this almost figured out. So:

• When you hover over a player and a tab show up, it shows the total number of passes from players with an network (the 3+passes thing), right?
  • The size of the dots is literal touches, which calling this feature "passing network/passing combinations" doesn't hint at.

I am still confused by the positioning of the dots, why does it not match up with one of the three Average Position stats then when you overlay the two?

22 hours ago, josh381991 said:

Ahh I see , I wansnt sure if it was right that I was only able to delay it for 2 times. I would off thought you could delay as long as you wanted ( or with in that transfer window ) 

just need them them to sign a blooming replacement !!! I will get my man !!!!

Could you not try and offer them a player in exchange? Or have you tried that and it won't even let you get that far?

7 hours ago, Per Annum said:

I think the faces are an improvement on the past as they look less cartoony, but I have indeed seen some gargantuan foreheads. Worst was where face was about bottom 1/3 of head, but admittedly only once

Gervinho's younger brother perhaps? :p

4 hours ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

Every single year it's the same though. someone gets an injury crisis, and cries that the game's broken. 

In my current first team squad, I don't have a single player injured right now. 

OJhogrF.png

yep totally crying ......

Had hoped with the transfers having a bit of an overhaul they would've added a bit more realism for the January transfer window. Seeing Icardi, Griezmann, Javi Martinez, Douglas Costa and Lukaku all moving seems a tad unrealistic as very few clubs like doing deals in January and certainly don't sell their star players.

Just bought Draxler on deadline day during the game international break for £40m (spread over 48 months).

First news item after he signed? Julian Draxler has suffered damaged cruciate ligaments whilst playing for Germany and is out for 8-9 months :mad::mad::( 

Im liking the game so far though, although there do seem to be a lot of goals going in. My first 3 league games:

3-0 v Hull

4-6 v City

3-2 v Arsenal

Hoping for a less heart attack-inducing game against Southampton next.

1 hour ago, cruyff14 said:

Had hoped with the transfers having a bit of an overhaul they would've added a bit more realism for the January transfer window. Seeing Icardi, Griezmann, Javi Martinez, Douglas Costa and Lukaku all moving seems a tad unrealistic as very few clubs like doing deals in January and certainly don't sell their star players.

Worth uploading a game save to the Bugs forum for SI to review.

I've been playing this game for years.  FM17 is the first time I've seen injuries like this.

I am managing Stoke City.  We are still in the run up to the start of the season.  I have 9 players out injured right now.  Half of them are AT LEAST 4 months out.  TWO are 9-10 months.  This seems way worse than the past games.  Tell me I'm wrong.  (Straight man set up) ;):stop:

8 minutes ago, Ignats75 said:

I've been playing this game for years.  FM17 is the first time I've seen injuries like this.

I am managing Stoke City.  We are still in the run up to the start of the season.  I have 9 players out injured right now.  Half of them are AT LEAST 4 months out.  TWO are 9-10 months.  This seems way worse than the past games.  Tell me I'm wrong.  (Straight man set up) ;):stop:

You're wrong. Stoke start the game with four players out injured, so in your pre-season you've had five injuries. Pretty severe and unlucky, but not unrealistic. Unless you aren't counting the four players injured at the start, in which case I would say nine injuries in pre-season is creeping towards the unrealistic realms (but I'm sure it's happened somehere).

Edited by johnhughthom

14 minutes ago, Ignats75 said:

It just happens.

People expect injuries to even themselves out throughout the season but like anything else e.g. bus arrivals, they happen in clumps. Its part of the nature of random chance elements (where that is relevant). Sometimes you'll get periods where you're relatively injury-free (which we don't tend to notice), other times they'll happen all at once, and sometimes all in the same position. Its just the way it is and part of being a manager is managing your way through that kind of adversity.

Can you tell me how a player, under no pressure whatsoever, fails to make the red line pass in the 90th minute, when he has:

Passing: 13

Technique: 16

Composure: 14

Concentration: 13

Decisions: 14

Instead, he makes the blue line pass, which is intercepted, resulting in a 91st minute equaliser :mad: 

Talk about bloody suicidal!

What is more annoying than the mistake, is that nothing at all is made of it.  No choice in the team talk to berate him for it and no question from the media about it.

1 hour ago, KUBI said:

Borussia Dortmund at the moment. Real football.

Bildschirmfoto 2016-10-24 um 00.36.24.jpg

REAL football

p4f6OF7.jpg

Which isn't meant to be a defensive of the game. Rather that FM outside of really rotten luck and then some has consistently failed to create the woes actual top class staff go through -- on purpose. That's the guys who know their stuff rather than let their players tackle hard on high level fitness training the entire season and no listening to scout reports prior to signing the men of glass and even if they don't do wrong take it on the chin like men and carry on. All of this impacts squad management, transfer policy and the development of the database, as injuries affect player development across the entire save.

For future releases it may be a viable feature to be able to turn on/off the injuries edited into the db at the start of the game though. Similar to the remaining transfer kitties which either can be turned on or off. Whilst pre- and early season crysis of 12 players out and more aren't at all unheard of at all, it would ease the frustration for some as at least they won't feel additionally punished for their predecessor's supposedly wrongdoings. Sure, it's not realistic. But then the 75-80% in-game levels of injuries reported by SI compared to real football aren't either. Or anybody of us taking over at Old Trafford to begin with and dealing with the mess been left behind. ;-)

Edited by Svenc

1 hour ago, Altair said:

I think people prefer more Real football in the Match Engine and less on injuries. Just my opinion.

A viably point, though naturally there are connections. I think people first and foremost prefer a fun game, of which there is nothing at all wrong with. Some "people" may too prefer more real football in the match engine too -- as long as that real football doesn't involve the following:

- top players on any level actually regularly missing one on ones and clear cuts (as tends to happen in real football)
- top players on any level producing outright mediocre football on the occasion and committing errors and bad choices (as tends to happen in real football)
- unrealistic, one-dimensional tactics leading to a struggle to break defenses down, and a dependency of individual moves by superior players to save the day (as tends to happen in football)
- aggressive play encouraged over the course of an entire season and 90 minutes of every match wearing players out (as tends to happen in real football)
- overly attacking play encouraged over 90 minutes prone to getting hit by soft goals on the break, whilst vice versa keeping things tight makes it really really hard to convert
- AI managers interacting with the engine in actually competitive ways, being able to utilize some of the above
- etc.

Similarily to injuries, all of  this can be hugely frustrating. It shows in user reviews and feedback every year. It makes matches more tight, it is bound to additionally punish really poorly thought out tactics that violate the basics of any team sports down to school levels, it makes it more likely that better set up AI teams actually convert their fewer shots on target, and make players more likely to pick up additionally knocks -- "Regularly up to 12 players out injured, my players fail to convert more than half of their clear cuts chances, AI regularly scores with first shot on target even if its the dead last and you have Messi, never been fixed, not going to buy this ever again". There is nothing wrong with voicing frustration here, and it is worth investigating for actually genuinelly bugs, always. On SI's behalf it is worth asking themselves whether in the post-manual era of digital distribution publishing such FAQ is enough. http://www.footballmanager.com/support/faqs/football-manager-2016 But talking about "real football", that's just an observation after many many releases that attempted to tackle the one or other issue mentioned above in the pursuit of "real football" and a more "realistic match engine". :-)

The only way they'd get rid of severe crysis would be scripting it into the game that there would never be a higher number of x players out, which is not how things work in football. However with such a big player base, somebody will always report something which is actually far away from the average, this goes both ways (see the last page). See also the yearly reports of missed penalties from hugely small sample sizes of like a couple of kicks. In a sense, this is art imitating life and vice versa, as every year you too see short trends being mistaken for actually performance indicators, be it the forward who peaks early to never even start again in the latter stages, or (which seems a particularly German thing) news announcing the death of all home advantage in football -- every season after 3 match days, when by the end things unsurprisingly look pretty much the same as any season previous. That's like marrying the girl after the first date -- if you're lucky, it might actually work. Usually people don't tend to rely on purely chance though, it can cost dearly. Unless it comes to all things football, that is.

Unlike here, players tend to exclusively focus on their own teams though. That isn't even a sample size, it's biased one and barely a blip. It's really nothing new, and it's being picked up by game news outlets previous, actually. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-11-19-football-manager-injuries Everybody who has ever played for a longer period of time and went beyond that first season with but one team knows that the game has never quite replicated real football here either way, which certainly goes for FM 2016, and that some feedback could be dismissed -- like the aforementioned 6 players injured after 4 matches, which is really nothing to note about given the game's target. There are teams that average 6-8 players out for bulks of the season in just about any league, teams go into season prep with a dozen players missing, and 3-5 at any point of the season out could be considered perfectly normal.

Now whether that is fun to anyone is an entirely different matter. This matter may be the reason why they target injuries to be a good -20-25% off football. With that it's still very very far off video gaming's most popular football franchise, Fifa, which evidently clouds people's perception on the actual sports everywhere. Rotten thing -- who can afford to name it's biggest franchise after such a shady organization anyway, more importantly, who WOULD? :D

Edited by Svenc