Football Manager 2014 - Full Game Feedback/Tilbakemelding 14.1.3

Player potential, hidden mental attributes (described in player information/report), age, playing time, coach ratings, club training facilities, happiness with training schedule, strength of opposition in games (maybe).

Thanks for that Riz R...valehannes! :)

It's always nice to get official clarification on aspects of the game, so thanks for this:

Just a note on the above quote; the avg ratings are not directly linked to the player development. This might have been the case back in the CM days but for most of the FM era there have been no direct links between a players average rating and the development of his CA. Obviously in some ways the ratings can indirectly affect things like morale, happiness etc. which in turn can have a more direct effect on player progression, but the averag ratings on their own are not directly connected to player progression.

I don't suppose you feel like completing the picture with details of precisely what contributes, and to what degree? ;)

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I dunno if this is in the right place.

But every match is seeing about 50 shots between the two teams. I'm Newcastle and conceded 32 shots to Torquay in the cup which is just ridiculous.

Anyone else seeing this?

I'm having the same problem my team has like 22 shots on target and only one goal its like come on mannnnnn what is thissss

podolski's right in front of the goalkeeper takes a shot, keeper saves, 2nd time same place keeper saves, 3rd time keeper saves what a joke

I know were you coming having the same problems just really upsetting spent like £35 on this game and my team can't even score ohhh mmmyy goooodd

For you and Maaaaaardy, I would recommend going in to the tactics forum and detailing precisely what you are doing, and where you think it is going wrong.

Nobody should lose a half time lead every single match. Of Maaaaaardy's list, items 1, 2, 3, 4, 7, 8, 9 and 10 sound like they can have the edge taken off if more detail is given.

The amount of shots hitting the goalpost/crossbar has always been a bit high throughout, right from the first Beta match engine. Whilst it's not entirely realistic, it makes watching the game a bit more exciting, so it doesn't really bother me.

The rest of your rant can all be solved tactically. Apart from maybe the injuries which could just be sheer bad luck.

you seem to have all the answers dave. there are dozens of us here complaining about the players inability to close down and tackle, however u seem to know how to solve all this, please do share!

For you and Maaaaaardy, I would recommend going in to the tactics forum and detailing precisely what you are doing, and where you think it is going wrong.

Nobody should lose a half time lead every single match. Of Maaaaaardy's list, items 1, 2, 3, 4, 7, 8, 9 and 10 sound like they can have the edge taken off if more detail is given.

okay I will do but honestly never had this problem in any football manager game won the champions league, premier league and league cup in my first season on fm 13

this game I can't even beat a lower league portguese side

I don't suppose you feel like completing the picture with details of precisely what contributes, and to what degree? ;)

Sadly or luckily no. Training is one of the clearer and least complicated things in the game for me but I think that if I knew exactly how it worked for sure it would stop being a game for me and become a grind. I actually sort of feel bad for wwfan because I assume that now when he plays he doesnt get the feeling that he understands something and pleasure from winning at a game but he literally knows for sure why or why not.

you seem to have all the answers dave. there are dozens of us here complaining about the players inability to close down and tackle, however u seem to know how to solve all this, please do share!

I certainly don't have all the answers, I've just sat and watched my team get horsed 5-2 in the cup, three days after beating the same opponents at the same ground 4-2. :D

What I CAN generally tell though, is a rant from constructive feedback.

Incidentally, it's pleasing to see the visual representation of Route One-Overload being more realistic this year. I remember the frustration of FM13 when your players would still tippy tap the ball around the midfield even though they were supposed to be chasing the game. In the cup game I just mentioned there, I was 4-2 down, so stuck four up front, went overload, told them to pump the ball route one style in an attempt to get back into the game. And that's exactly what they tried. I had a few chances to get back into it, but was ultimately caught on the break for the fifth goal. Disappointed to lose, but also pleased that the game showed the effect of my changes as it should have done. That's a massive improvement on last year.

I like the new FM very much and it certainly has the potential to be the best FM yet.

From my experience as of now the new ME apart from a few bugs is quite excellent but also quite unforgiving. The chance of a player creating an unsound tactic seems to be quite high (more so than in previous iterations of the game); at the same time the AI teams are much more flexible and versatile.

Often I find it hard to understand what in particular is wrong with a given tactic and how it can be improved just by looking at the match analysis window or watching a game on full. This doesn't get any easier if one takes things like opposition strengths, dips in form of players or the tactic familiarity / team gelling into account. Then again the game would be no fun for me at all if there was no challenge and mystery involved :D

I agree that the step away from the sliders was the right one. My problem is that the "current value" of the different variables is rather in the dark. E.g. passing, closing down or creative freedom structure of the different strategies and "fluidities", and more importantly the effect after having player roles / duties and team & player instructions applied to them. Of course it isn't an actual problem per se, more of a consequence after having stuck to playing with sliders and avoiding the tactics creator in the past years. I still would love to have at least a visual & relative indicator showing e.g. how much shorter or more direct one players / positions passing compared to other player / positions in a tactical setup is.

I'm sorry I just can't play this game no more I don't want to read someone else's forum post just to see what he's doing right and what I'm doing wrong because my players are in the right positions if giroud and podolski are in the box right in front of the goal they wouldn't miss so many chances on goal.

No, I'd not like to see lower ratings further down the leagues purely because it's lower level football. When you get down to Tier 4/5/6 are you saying those players can only ever get a 0.1 to 4.9 match rating? That wouldn't work for me, and ruin it some.

The ratings need to be looked at as relative to what level the player is playing at so you should be able to look at a player and see how well he's doing at the level he's played at, but factor in for the fact that could/would he carry that on at your top division club. And that's what the attributes are for.

The ratings are fine as they are, maybe just need a bit of tweeking this version, but it's no real biggie to me. I know how well, or not, a player is doing for me and on players I'm looking to buy their average rating is just one small part of the jigsaw of deciding to buy him or not.

Thats not what I said. Atleast not what I tried to say.

A lower league player should be able to make a 7 or 8 if he plays really well. But should a 85 CA play to AVG 8 in Skrull premier over a season? Sure he's good for the level. But he's still not a brilliant player.

Just my 2 cents.

Thats not what I said. Atleast not what I tried to say.

A lower league player should be able to make a 7 or 8 if he plays really well. But should a 85 CA play to AVG 8 in Skrull premier over a season? Sure he's good for the level. But he's still not a brilliant player.

Just my 2 cents.

How good he is can only be compared to the level he is playing, so there is no reason a top top left back at that level should not be able to average an 8 over a season, but he certainly should not be able to play like that at a much higher level. The ratings should have no bearing on the level of football being played, just how good the player has played for that level of football.

I'm sorry I just can't play this game no more I don't want to read someone else's forum post just to see what he's doing right and what I'm doing wrong because my players are in the right positions if giroud and podolski are in the box right in front of the goal they wouldn't miss so many chances on goal.

Fine but if you don't want advice don't keep repeating the same things over and over, if you think your problems are caused by bugs post your evidence in the bugs forum.

How good he is can only be compared to the level he is playing, so there is no reason a top top left back at that level should not be able to average an 8 over a season, but he certainly should not be able to play like that at a much higher level. The ratings should have no bearing on the level of football being played, just how good the player has played for that level of football.

Except at that level, success rate at anything he attemps will be lower.

Macshimmy I think the fact that I am spending time on here interacting reflects the fact that I value this particular subset of our userbase ( yes, you fans ) very highly. So I agree with your last sentence wholeheartedly.

It's just that sometimes the negativity on here becomes too much. I'm in a minority amongst the SI team in continuing to post here because of that. Which is rather sad.

Listen, criticism is fine with us when it's constructive, and always will be.

Paul I have noticed the decreased posts by SI logo members that you mention, and so I would just like to express my appreciation to you and all the SI staff for your undoubted hard work in developing the game. I can understand why it is not enjoyable for them/you to post and read the posts on here, and personally I have a huge amount of respect for you continuing to put your head above the parapet in order to help people, and I am especially appreciative of your honesty regarding the ratings bug.

As someone who has frequently been critical of some of SI's choices/actions I would just like to make it clear to you (and the other staff) that I for one am grateful that there is ANY interaction between you guys and us users. I genuinely feel for you regarding the ratings bug, it must be really horrible to have such hard work undermined by a simple mis-tweak. Please don't be put off from posting, you are a defining character of the series.

Low morale bug in SI TEAM ??

Please address this issue quickly....

OMG LOL!

Downloading the demo now, looking forward to trying it out.

Having played the 2014 demo, I'm pretty impressed with the ME (for a new release compared to previous versions), and the move away from sliders to shouts makes it more realistic. A couple of niggles which I would hope are bugs are repetitive moves on highlights mode (like we're seeing a randomly repeated clip) and very average players playing over and beyond their abilities (eg: players with slow abilities outrunning quicker players etc)

Another point is: In previous versions I found the closing down and defensive line slider useful of instructing where my CBs held their line from. Obviously, with no visual aid or guide, I now have no way of knowing exactly where they position themselves prior to a match without viewing it first, and even then, they don't seem to be exactly where I used to wish them to defend from. This has made the new game a very trail and error process.

A huge part of a defensive tactic (or playing without the ball) is positioning. If we can't see where the defensive line begins and what the range of closing down is, we are somewhat in the dark. If anyone has watched tactical discussions on football shows, they will use a simulated pitch or chalk board to show precisely where players are to position themselves on the pitch, where their starting positions are, how far they push up, and where they make the runs etc. Obviously this could be expanded to highlighting sections of the pitch where you'd wish your players to close down, so not to stray out of position. I've waiting for this to be implemented on FM, but sadly it seems to have been overlooked again.

All in all, if the demo is patched, I will play again before I make my decision to purchase the game, but I'm still enjoying FM12 at the mo too.

I didn't purchased FM13 because I was so used to the training system from 2012. Being unable to give a player a personalized training program and an individual training focus kinda foiled by plans.

I've just bought this years FM, and on previous years have had no problems relating to my laptop. Last year, the game gave my laptop a 5 star 'computer rating' at the start, but this year it says it is half a star. Any ideas why this is/how to fix it?

Except at that level, success rate at anything he attempts will be lower.

I disagree. Success rate is dependent on the opposition. A player at that level can easily have a pass rate of 90% if the players he is up against are poorer at various other things. Ratings are not skill dependent against the rest of the game world, just against the level of opposition your up against. A winger with dribbling 10 can still go past a player each time if the player he is up against has positioning 7, tackling 6, anticipation 7 ect.

The amount of shots hitting the goalpost/crossbar has always been a bit high throughout, right from the first Beta match engine. Whilst it's not entirely realistic, it makes watching the game a bit more exciting, so it doesn't really bother me.

The rest of your rant can all be solved tactically. Apart from maybe the injuries which could just be sheer bad luck.

I guess lots of shots does make it interesting to watch but is this a goal shooting game or a football management simulation, the reason there are so many shots IMO is the inability of the defending team to press, this allows the attacking team lots of shooting chances, it’s difficult to understand having the options to close down more and hassle opponents if when selected the players on the pitch do none of this things except in the final third and rarely on the wings even then. Personally I think this was also a problem on earlier editions as well, so maybe it’s just very difficult to get right.

I certainly don't have all the answers, I've just sat and watched my team get horsed 5-2 in the cup, three days after beating the same opponents at the same ground 4-2. :D

What I CAN generally tell though, is a rant from constructive feedback.

Incidentally, it's pleasing to see the visual representation of Route One-Overload being more realistic this year. I remember the frustration of FM13 when your players would still tippy tap the ball around the midfield even though they were supposed to be chasing the game. In the cup game I just mentioned there, I was 4-2 down, so stuck four up front, went overload, told them to pump the ball route one style in an attempt to get back into the game. And that's exactly what they tried. I had a few chances to get back into it, but was ultimately caught on the break for the fifth goal. Disappointed to lose, but also pleased that the game showed the effect of my changes as it should have done. That's a massive improvement on last year.

i can relate to what you're saying. however there is no point in making some aspects of the team and individual instructions work, if all the others dont. after a quick browse of a few tactic forums, ive noticed that the only mildly successfull tactics around are super offensive tactics that just run at the opponents defence or bang hundreds of balls into the área to 2 or 3 strikers. thats not my perception of successfull football mate. i can understand why these approaches work: defending is so poor and clean sheets so hard to obtain that you need to outscore your opponents to win games; taking into account that opponents just run at our defence and all they do is track back and not challenge the ball, it only makes sense that we can do the same to them, coz trying to implement a passing game seems to be impossible and pointless. FM is the most realistic football management game ever, and i have thoroughly enjoyed it for over 15 years now, but unfortunately this rendering of the ME isnt realistic. i have total confidence it will be solved, i just wish we would be past this point after the beta. although im annoyed, i wont stp playing and hitting my head against the Wall, coz i love this game. what will happen is that eventually i'll find an acceptable way of playing super offensive "headless" football, in which i can still extract some sort of positive experience form the game, however shortly after i do this, the ME will be updated and i will have to "learn" how to play it all over again. Its exactly the same story as last year. A manager can never really stay true to his tactical principles and concepts, because he needs to adapt them to the current interpretation of the ME.

You think FM14 is bugged you want to go try BF4... the onslaught of angry customers is horrific. Makes the FM bugs look like a minor irritation :D

Yes!!! I put it down after an hour. Terrible, terrible BETA.

Almost as bad as the Halo Reach BETA was a few years ago, when grenades would kill you no matter how far away you were.

I disagree. Success rate is dependent on the opposition. A player at that level can easily have a pass rate of 90% if the players he is up against are poorer at various other things. Ratings are not skill dependent against the rest of the game world, just against the level of opposition your up against. A winger with dribbling 10 can still go past a player each time if the player he is up against has positioning 7, tackling 6, anticipation 7 ect.

Yes, and the probability of this low stat player existing gets higher as you go down the leagues. How have you neglected to consider this?

You are right that success rate is based on the quality of the opposition, but you ignore that quality of opposition correlates with the level you are at.

Almost as bad as the Halo Reach BETA was a few years ago, when grenades would kill you no matter how far away you were.

The elevator glitch was pretty funny though :D

Im talking full game... its worse than beta, almost like a pre alpha beta beta..

Archived