Football Manager 2014 - Full Game Feedback/Tilbakemelding 14.1.3

Slight issue: occasionally when goals are ruled out a defender is mysteriously named as the one being offside. For example just now, Grant Hanley (for Scotland) put the ball in the back of the net for Scotland, and it was ruled out for offside (correctly), but the popup claimed that Chris Smalling (being an England defender) was offside.

After watching the replay I see what happened: Hanley touched the ball first on the free-kick (thus was offside), but Smalling then put the ball in his own net. Hilariously the text commentary also claimed that the goal was completing Smalling's hat-trick...

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Slight issue: occasionally when goals are ruled out a defender is mysteriously named as the one being offside. For example just now, Grant Hanley (for Scotland) put the ball in the back of the net for Scotland, and it was ruled out for offside (correctly), but the popup claimed that Chris Smalling (being an England defender) was offside.

After watching the replay I see what happened: Hanley touched the ball first on the free-kick (thus was offside), but Smalling then put the ball in his own net. Hilariously the text commentary also claimed that the goal was completing Smalling's hat-trick...

I believe this one is a known issue, but please upload a .pkm from that match to the Bugs Forum; the more examples SI have, the easier it will be to fix.

If the ME portion of the update is complete why can't they release that and then the data portion as a separate update later? This is getting ridiculous. It's been almost a month since I bought the game and I haven't been able to enjoy it yet. I'm already seriously considering whether or not I want to buy FM15, and I always buy FM.

If the ME portion of the update is complete why can't they release that and then the data portion as a separate update later? This is getting ridiculous. It's been almost a month since I bought the game and I haven't been able to enjoy it yet. I'm already seriously considering whether or not I want to buy FM15, and I always buy FM.

Me too man, I'm so frustrated because I was extra excited for this season, I haven't touched the last 2 season's of FM (due to time constraints) but to come back and see the same old issues of release versions... How can you have the same issues for 15+ years... Will there ever be a year where we have a solid release version? At least one with minor bugs?

What I find strange is that some creative skin makers have designed very beautiful skins for FM which makes me think are SI ever considering changing their game default skin? The game needs to look fresh, different, new, but in an easy UI friendly way. This is 2013 the game shouldn't feel like I'm still living in 2004... UI needs an overhaul in my opinion, that's the fresh I'm talking about and not just a few tabs rearranged.

My advise (and it's just an advise) why not start a big project/competition in universities in UK where architecture/design students compete to design the new UI for FM 15? Reward should be maybe like 20,000 pounds or so. You never know what innovation sprouts out of those creative minds! Many firms have done it, why don't you? Spread the creativity don't limit it to a department!

because we don't know if the issue they found is in the ME portion of the update,

I usually don't post here that much but I thought this post might need some constructive feedback:

Firstly, the game has been playable and enjoyable for me personally since the BETA. There are some minor issues that are bothering me but nothing that would make me stop playing, abuse SI, or throw my computer out the window.

If it wasn't for these forums, I wouldn't even know about half of the things that are supposedly game-breaking for some. It's like thinking in your head that I haven't seen a red adboard anywhere and then you suddenly start seeing them in every corner.

People complain about their strikers not scoring. My strikers seem to be my top goalscorers. To be honest, I felt in the previous years, the striker goals were too high, so I am happy that they have been reduced a bit. In previous versions the fast strikers were incredible, while slow ones, no matter what other super stats they had were useless. I am happy that slower and stronger strikers are more valuable now. Of course, some tweaking is always necessary.

People complain about the full backs. I haven't had issues with that or maybe not seen it. I have seen an "unusual" amount of goals from near corners, so that will be fixed with the update (but is it game breaking?).

People complain about unusual results in the Italian league. I have several saves there and not seen that. Teams that should be top, are, with exceptions. Maybe those people are really unlucky? In my save Juventus was dominating without a loss and now due to injuries and their fixture lists, they haven't picked up many points and are losing ground. If that happens at the start of the season to a good team, their morale will be low and it will be tough to get back into winning mode.

People complain about the AI suddenly learning tactics or beating them after they are leading 3-0, 4-0, etc. I have noticed the AI is much more responsive this year around. And I for one am really glad about it. Makes it more challenging. Just yesterday I was leading 4-0. What happened? My guys became complacent. I tried to combat that by replacing those that were complacent but the replacement was complacent as well. They became sloppy. Suddenly it was 4-1. I changed nothing. Then it was 4-2. Now I became nervous and did change things to keep my result. I have seen it many times that the AI will change to attacking when faced with a certain loss. What would you do when you are 2-0 down? Exactly. You try to attack and get a goal back. You get stuck in. You switch to attack. Or do you? That's what the AI does.

I will say that some of the conversion rates have been quite bad, while at the same time, I have seen much more shots than on previous versions. I often have 30+ shots, which I am sure they are updating. At the same time, I have never missed so many penalties with good penalty takers. Maybe bad luck, maybe an issue? I am sure that is also fixed.

In the end, I am very happy about the direction the game is going. It is more enjoyable. Sometimes more challenging, more realistic. I am having tons of fun since the BETA and can't wait for the update to see the minor issues fixed to enjoy it even more.

Just yesterday I was leading 4-0. What happened? My guys became complacent. I tried to combat that by replacing those that were complacent but the replacement was complacent as well. They became sloppy. Suddenly it was 4-1. I changed nothing. Then it was 4-2. Now I became nervous and did change things to keep my result. I have seen it many times that the AI will change to attacking when faced with a certain loss. What would you do when you are 2-0 down? Exactly. You try to attack and get a goal back. You get stuck in. You switch to attack. Or do you? That's what the AI does.

This may be realistic if both teams are at the same level in general, but it gets ridiculous if you are playing against a minor team with low quality and destroyed moral. They usually dont score 4-1 and 4-2 and 4-3 just because some of your players are complacent. I find it quite unbelievable that you even celebrate this as an improvement of realism.

I would all get used to how it is now, as I cant see the patch arriving before the Jan update. Something major is wrong and SI are having trouble sorting the problem hence the lines of we don´t know and hopefully.

Yes the ME is in a mess with regards defending especially Full Backs, I wont give up trying just hope things do get sorted soon rather than later. Love the new interface and other features for me just the ME needs to be sorted and quick

Probably get yelled at for posting this.....but I can't understand why when I watched all those YouTube vids of FM2014 it was awesome.

Almost sent me all goosey, if you know what I mean.

Now accepting playing experience with a team getting used to you and all that, but.....

The Youtube stuff was awesome, the game isn't close to what I saw there.

Hopefully it will be, that would be great

It seems to me, but I don't know anything about the process of developing software, that the 'problem' with FM is that they release a new edition every single year, meaning they never really have the time to build a new and better version completely from scratch. Most of the times it's an update to last years edition with added features and improvements. That's not necessarily a critisicm, FM is a great piece of software, and you shouldn't try to fix what isn't broken. But there is a big difference project management-wise between releasing every single year, or just releasing a new version when it's finished like Rockstar do with GTA. SI have quite a strict deadline with FM, meaning that they work to make the deadline. But for a game like GTA, there is not really a strict deadline, so they work to finish the product. Which is quite a different way to handle a project. Rockstar can easily delay releasing GTA by a few months if they are not yet happy with the end product. You can't really do that with FM, it has to be released sometime before the first few months of the football season are over.

They would never, and should never, be building a version of FM "from scratch". You can say in some respects that FM14 has been in development for 20 years, and I'd say that's pretty accurate. Comparing it to any other game, particularly GTA just doesn't really hold up. Even if you could, Rockstar had a maaaaaassive budget for their game, one that would absolutely dwarf any kind of budget SI have. Publishers know that on release, it is likely to be a cash cow for years to come. They'll be happy enough for it to be delayed, because it's going to make them far more than they've put down. I agree that they have to release yearly because of the football season, but disagree that this is a bad thing. We're getting continuous development, on a yearly release schedule. Seems there isn't a lot of gratitude for this process, which is benefiting the user far more than it is hindering.

Why does the game always start too late to get your own players in on time before pre season kicks in. This year especially, start game July 4th and 1st thing you have is a game against fairly decent foreign opponents, surely it would be more beneficial to start the game at the beginning of June just after the end of last season to allow you time to get your signing targets and blend the squad, something that really bugs me every year.

I generally play as Hibernian in SPFL but occasionally play as a lower EPL team, there's never really any time to blend your squad due to late start in the game, I'd have thought that if any team were going to change manager it'd be at the end of the season not at the beginning of the next one.

On a side note, I've got a good wee game going so far as Hibernian, undefeated and playing the final elimination round of Europa cup against Braga, all defenders doing well, in fact whole team averaging around 6.8-7.2. I have two tactics on the go 4-5-1/4-2-3-1 both tweaked by delving around tactics forum.

CM4 was a complete rebuild to a modular system so that in the future the game could have entire sections taken out, remade and plugged back in again.

There will never be a need to completely build a new game from scratch.

CM4 was a complete rebuild to a modular system so that in the future the game could have entire sections taken out, remade and plugged back in again.

There will never be a need to completely build a new game from scratch.

I've still got my copy, box and everything if anyone wants to buy it.

If people kept their feedback constructive & on topic this thread wouldn't need to be as heavily moderated :)

This thread never made any sense past day 3 in the first place.

I can see that it is valuable to have all feedback on a bulk in the first days after release.

Thereafter however people want to talk about discrete issues and any discussion just gets a mess when everything is just thrown together. You have to search for posts that relate to the topic you are interested in and work through lots of drivel and unimportant stuff. If you want to make a point then it's much more likely to remain unnoticed than if it was in a dedicated separate thread.

This thread hasn't had a purpose in a long time.

Why does the game always start too late to get your own players in on time before pre season kicks in. This year especially, start game July 4th and 1st thing you have is a game against fairly decent foreign opponents, surely it would be more beneficial to start the game at the beginning of June just after the end of last season to allow you time to get your signing targets and blend the squad, something that really bugs me every year.

I generally play as Hibernian in SPFL but occasionally play as a lower EPL team, there's never really any time to blend your squad due to late start in the game, I'd have thought that if any team were going to change manager it'd be at the end of the season not at the beginning of the next one.

On a side note, I've got a good wee game going so far as Hibernian, undefeated and playing the final elimination round of Europa cup against Braga, all defenders doing well, in fact whole team averaging around 6.8-7.2. I have two tactics on the go 4-5-1/4-2-3-1 both tweaked by delving around tactics forum.

Because that's when the season starts and everything resets. It makes sense to start the game from that point as everything can be scheduled at game start. If you were to start before that, you'd need some other arbitrary starting point with something meaningful generated for then, before the season resets again.

I've played a few seasons now and my feedback is that the game is brilliant until you play a match. There's no point going over the issues as they've all been raised in here and bugs forum. Once the ME is sorted this should be fantastic but at the moment I just don't find it realistic. I know people will probably say it's only a game but I've never thought this in the past.

They would never, and should never, be building a version of FM "from scratch". You can say in some respects that FM14 has been in development for 20 years, and I'd say that's pretty accurate. Comparing it to any other game, particularly GTA just doesn't really hold up. Even if you could, Rockstar had a maaaaaassive budget for their game, one that would absolutely dwarf any kind of budget SI have. Publishers know that on release, it is likely to be a cash cow for years to come. They'll be happy enough for it to be delayed, because it's going to make them far more than they've put down. I agree that they have to release yearly because of the football season, but disagree that this is a bad thing. We're getting continuous development, on a yearly release schedule. Seems there isn't a lot of gratitude for this process, which is benefiting the user far more than it is hindering.

I think you misread my post. I never sad it was a bad thing, quite the contrary if you read correctly. I just wanted to point out that why when you have a yearly release it is more difficult to release a perfect game (meaning no bugs) at the time of the deadline.

I can see that it is valuable to have all feedback on a bulk in the first days after release.

Thereafter however people want to talk about discrete issues and any discussion just gets a mess when everything is just thrown together. You have to search for posts that relate to the topic you are interested in and work through lots of drivel and unimportant stuff. If you want to make a point then it's much more likely to remain unnoticed than if it was in a dedicated separate thread.

This thread hasn't had a purpose in a long time.

Disagree with you on that one. Because people put their rants in this thread, the rest of the forum looks much nicer. I can remember years in which new threads were being made on an hourly basis by new users just to express their rants.

I think you misread my post. I never sad it was a bad thing, quite the contrary if you read correctly. I just wanted to point out that why when you have a yearly release it is more difficult to release a perfect game (meaning no bugs) at the time of the deadline.

I get that, and I wasn't really saying you were criticising, just pointing out that it's not easy to compare to another development process particularly with something like GTA. The rest wasn't directly aimed at you.

Totally agree, the real value is in the Bugs and T&T forums, the problem with allowing new threads in GD is that they immediately become new feedback threads, although we do try to let those with any value stay alive.

Yeah... well it's since some days no testers or devs are replying on Match Engine Bugs Forum.

I DO hope it's due to a full immersion on the next patch that hopefully will be realeased very soon, and with "very soon" I mean "yesterday".

It's really needed.

1 month.

Well another bug, now cant even move on a day as it says must respond. Game not broke and no patch now you are starting to have a laugh. Time this patch was sorted and released, love Football Manager but this year feel I have wasted my hard earned money.

http://imageshack.com/a/img69/2176/uxn7.jpg

Go on holiday or report it on the bugs forum.

I have a question about assistant advice during the game:

When he suggests something is there any way of knowing exactly which of my tactical instructions will be altered? Most are very clear ('so-and-so is getting too much space and needs to be closed down' for example) but some are less obvious. 'While we're not connecting too many of our crosses, we are winning most of the headers today' is one example.

I clicked Apply Advice and saw that all my Possession instructions had all changed and were replaced with something like Float Crosses and Hit Early Crosses and maybe one or two more. The problem is, that's not how I want my team to play and there was no way of checking before what changes would be made.

Nobody ever said there would be one, as and when is still the policy I'm afraid.
why if PaulC told last week " we should have update live" now he should tell us how testing going it's simply... but i' have to be ok, i like ME this year but have problems with renew contract with players and i'm stuck in the game... :(

sorry my english

• Administrators
Yeah... well it's since some days no testers or devs are replying on Match Engine Bugs Forum.

I DO hope it's due to a full immersion on the next patch that hopefully will be realeased very soon, and with "very soon" I mean "yesterday".

It's really needed.

1 month.

Go on holiday or report it on the bugs forum.

The bugs in the Match Engine forum are generally outdated now due to the fact we've had different match engine's internally, we're working off newer code.

I have a question about assistant advice during the game:

When he suggests something is there any way of knowing exactly which of my tactical instructions will be altered? Most are very clear ('so-and-so is getting too much space and needs to be closed down' for example) but some are less obvious. 'While we're not connecting too many of our crosses, we are winning most of the headers today' is one example.

I clicked Apply Advice and saw that all my Possession instructions had all changed and were replaced with something like Float Crosses and Hit Early Crosses and maybe one or two more. The problem is, that's not how I want my team to play and there was no way of checking before what changes would be made.

Good shout, I'd like to know that as well.

There's too many features in FM's that I simply ignore, which is a shame, due to there being no clear instructions/manual/clue/tips as to what the hell they do.

unrealistic shots/results killing the game for me, was playing a game with west ham, got beat 4-0 by manchester united home (realistic), then next game i beat spurs 6-0 at away, then the game after lost i 3-0 to burnley at home with my best 11 playing. those 3 games one after the other just made me quit and wait for the patch. gave it another go last night starting a game with arsenal, did all my tatics then set my assistant to take control of friendlies with my tatics, about 3 preseason friendlies in i checked the results, i'd lost 8-1 to a team called Tigres, think they're some mexican team? thought i'd just had a terrible team out but had a look and the assistant had basically the first 11 out, roll on the patch!!

To clarify regarding the next update, and to reiterate what Kriss said just a few posts ago, the update will be released as and when it is ready.

This might not be as precise as people would like, but it is as accurate a time frame as can be provided.

There is little value in debating exactly when it might be released, as nobody knows.

unrealistic shots/results killing the game for me, was playing a game with west ham, got beat 4-0 by manchester united home (realistic), then next game i beat spurs 6-0 at away, then the game after lost i 3-0 to burnley at home with my best 11 playing. those 3 games one after the other just made me quit and wait for the patch. gave it another go last night starting a game with arsenal, did all my tatics then set my assistant to take control of friendlies with my tatics, about 3 preseason friendlies in i checked the results, i'd lost 8-1 to a team called Tigres, think they're some mexican team? thought i'd just had a terrible team out but had a look and the assistant had basically the first 11 out, roll on the patch!!

TBH I'd have a good look round the tactics forum as that's what looks like your problem may be, the game has a few wee bugs which at first thought was killing the game for me but after looking at the tactics forum I began to understand the ME a lot better and now playing as Hibernian SPFL I have zero problems with either defenders, scoring etc in fact I'm seeing very little in the way of bugs described by many on the bugs forum.

Archived