Football Manager 2014 - Full Game Feedback/Tilbakemelding 14.1.3

I've posted in here and the bugs forum regarding backgrounds not showing in game (no option in the preferences). But had no response as to wether this will be fixed in a future patch. Anyone know if this is being looked at?

Cheers

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would say that in terms of the ME the ratings issue deserves a quick update, but the other stuff which is more subjective will take a little more time.

But in general I'd like to think when we have an improved ME build that has had sufficient testing we roll it out. More often than not that will coincide with planned game updates but that isn't 100% set in stone.

About the ratings. In the papers you always see lower ratings in lower leagues. lots of 4-5's in lower leagues, while lots of 6-8's in premier, or is it just Norwegian papers rating it that way?

In FM you easily make 8's and 9's even in lower league. I was hoping the lower ratings in FM14 was a new course. 9's and specially 10's should be extremly rare. But in earlier versions of FM they were common. I could have players wih like 8.78 AVG over a season even in lower leagues.

Just keep this in mind when you adjust the ratings. I agree fullbacks are a bit on the low end now compared to other positions. But please don't make another 8+ AVG fest out of this version.

You are not affected by the full back often not doing his job ?

Fullbacks not doing their job is part of the game of football. My fullbacks make tackles, and they also miss them. And when they miss, this can often lead to conceding a goal. Just the way it should be. I still think many people just look at 'key highlights' which will more often than not show the full back being skinned when a goal is conceded from a cross ball, which leads them to think their fullbacks never tackle. It's sometimes more that you just don't see the times they do. The change in perception from what key highlights actually shows compared to pre-FM13 versions of the game hasn't helped with this.

About the ratings. In the papers you always see lower ratings in lower leagues. lots of 4-5's in lower leagues, while lots of 6-8's in premier, or is it just Norwegian papers rating it that way?

In FM you easily make 8's and 9's even in lower league. I was hoping the lower ratings in FM14 was a new course. 9's and specially 10's should be extremly rare. But in earlier versions of FM they were common. I could have players wih like 8.78 AVG over a season even in lower leagues.

Just keep this in mind when you adjust the ratings. I agree fullbacks are a bit on the low end now compared to other positions. But please don't make another 8+ AVG fest out of this version.

No, I'd not like to see lower ratings further down the leagues purely because it's lower level football. When you get down to Tier 4/5/6 are you saying those players can only ever get a 0.1 to 4.9 match rating? That wouldn't work for me, and ruin it some.

The ratings need to be looked at as relative to what level the player is playing at so you should be able to look at a player and see how well he's doing at the level he's played at, but factor in for the fact that could/would he carry that on at your top division club. And that's what the attributes are for.

The ratings are fine as they are, maybe just need a bit of tweeking this version, but it's no real biggie to me. I know how well, or not, a player is doing for me and on players I'm looking to buy their average rating is just one small part of the jigsaw of deciding to buy him or not.

Fullbacks not doing their job is part of the game of football. My fullbacks make tackles, and they also miss them. And when they miss, this can often lead to conceding a goal. Just the way it should be. I still think many people just look at 'key highlights' which will more often than not show the full back being skinned when a goal is conceded from a cross ball, which leads them to think their fullbacks never tackle. It's sometimes more that you just don't see the times they do. The change in perception from what key highlights actually shows compared to pre-FM13 versions of the game hasn't helped with this.

You may actually find that some people are just going by the ratings, as the ratings for the fullbacks are too low and needs to be fixed people are just assuming the fullbacks are not doing their job as they are getting such poor ratings, also the assistant is constantly saying that they are not playing well and we should take them off.

Of course they make tackle they just forget to do their job much more than they should be.

Have a look at the tackles attempted/made stat after your match. You'll find that many times your fullbacks complete a very high percentage of their tackles. Just like in real life though, the ones they miss can lead to good goalscoring opportunities for the opposition. And that's the ones you'll generally see when watching the highlights.

You may actually find that some people are just going by the ratings, as the ratings for the fullbacks are too low and needs to be fixed people are just assuming the fullbacks are not doing their job as they are getting such poor ratings, also the assistant is constantly saying that they are not playing well and we should take them off.

Yeah, that issue can also skew perception of what's happening. That'll be sorted soon though, and at least in my game anyway, it's not been a gamebreaking problem as of yet.

now i cant turn the game on.... wtf please help

I find most of the problems are with Steam, rather than FM itself (in terms of loading the game).

If you have an old un-updated version of Steam, its knocks everything out. Specially if you have been playing in offline mode.

Yeah, that issue can also skew perception of what's happening. That'll be sorted soon though, and at least in my game anyway, it's not been a gamebreaking problem as of yet.

It is quite a big problem, I like many other players watch in extended mode, I don't have the time to watch a full match, I would never get through a season.

Us players rely heavily on the Assistants feedback, that's why I always hire the best I can get at the start of a save, If he is saying a player is playing badly and his ratings back that up then it is not just a skewed perception of what is going on.

To us players that is exactly what is going on.

I find most of the problems are with Steam, rather than FM itself (in terms of loading the game).

If you have an old un-updated version of Steam, its knocks everything out. Specially if you have been playing in offline mode.

no i changed skin to dark and now my game stuck at loading background...

Re the ratings issue. My left back in my last game won 5/5 tackles, including 4 key ones, and won 14/16 headers. His match rating was only 6.6. However, we won the game 2-1, and their goal came when my fullback lost his man for the goal. So, is that a fair rating, or should it still be higher?

If he is saying a player is playing badly and his ratings back that up

Those two are mutually inclusive though, He's saying he's playing badly because of the poor ratings. If you were to look at the stats for the player, you'd probably find his actual performance is better than what the rating suggests. Once the ratings get fixed, the Assistant feedback will fall in line with that.

I think this and the Highlights mode used make the issues seem worse than they are.

Fundamentally, there are some issues with defending, but they are not as bad as people perceive them to be.

If you don't watch much of a match to give these missed tackles context, or if you just rely on key highlights and match ratings to appraise performance, then things inevitably appear to look duff.

Re the ratings issue. My left back in my last game won 5/5 tackles, including 4 key ones, and won 14/16 headers. His match rating was only 6.6. However, we won the game 2-1, and their goal came when my fullback lost his man for the goal. So, is that a fair rating, or should it still be higher?

I would say higher but without seeing the actual goal and just how much he was to blame it is hard to say.

Regardless there is no point in discussing if the ratings are needing fixed as the main guy for the ME has already said...

I would say that in terms of the ME the ratings issue deserves a quick update

Probably fair. Fullbacks get some tough ratings when they're not that involved in play, whether it be attacking or defensive. I think they're also too harshly rated when the lose a lot of aerial battles.

Those two are mutually inclusive though, He's saying he's playing badly because of the poor ratings. If you were to look at the stats for the player, you'd probably find his actual performance is better than what the rating suggests. Once the ratings get fixed, the Assistant feedback will fall in line with that.

Of course they will, I am just saying that is why the low ratings are such a big deal, some players do not want to watch a full match and also they maybe do not want to keep pausing the game to check their fullbacks stats every few minutes.

Of course they will, I am just saying that is why the low ratings are such a big deal, some players do not want to watch a full match and also they maybe do not want to keep pausing the game to check their fullbacks stats every few minutes.

Yeah, that's fair enough.

Have a look at the tackles attempted/made stat after your match. You'll find that many times your fullbacks complete a very high percentage of their tackles. Just like in real life though, the ones they miss can lead to good goalscoring opportunities for the opposition. And that's the ones you'll generally see when watching the highlights.

No, what I mean by not doing their job is when they just jog along with the attacker not preventing them from moving forward, not attempting to tackle, not trying to block the cross. I m perfectly happy with failed tackle as it meant they at least tried.

Is it mainly just full back ratings that everyone is having problems with? Like, usually if you win say 3-0, a player has to have done something notably bad to get a low score. But I just won a game 3-0, with a solid performance all round, but my centre back, got 5.9. A few other players were only in the high sixes, when usually a dominant team performance would see everyone get higher than a 7.

Also, how is everyone finding the finishing now? It's always hard to tell whether it's just your players missing good chances or whether it genuinely is a flaw in the game. But I've got Suarez and Sturridge, possibly the two best strikers in England at the moment, missing easy chances every game. So I'd say either they are underrated, or there is a bit of a bug, because most of the time they will miss the target entirely with a straightforward opportunity.

No, what I mean by not doing their job is when they just jog along with the attacker not preventing them from moving forward, not attempting to tackle, not trying to block the cross. I m perfectly happy with failed tackle as it meant they at least tried.

These engagement issues are under review - it will get addressed.

Also, how is everyone finding the finishing now? It's always hard to tell whether it's just your players missing good chances or whether it genuinely is a flaw in the game. But I've got Suarez and Sturridge, possibly the two best strikers in England at the moment, missing easy chances every game. So I'd say either they are underrated, or there is a bit of a bug, because most of the time they will miss the target entirely with a straightforward opportunity.

The finishing is a bit of a hit or a miss (pun intended), it certainly makes for some interesting viewing though.

I had time for a quick match this morning, 16 minutes had gone in the game and we had 8 shots on goal, the keeper saved 2, 2 went fairly wide and 4 hit the woodwork. Fun times.

These engagement issues are under review - it will get addressed.

Si has been working hard on fixing bug, so I have no doubt about that, was just trying to ask dagen as his comment made it seem like he had not experienced that and that defender failure was due to player tactic.

I don't think turning issue into non issue really helps the game in the long term, most people posting negative feedback probably do it because they want to make this game even better not just to diss it.

So it must be his tactics, he just isn't good, and you are probably much better. But still: there are gamebreaking issues in the ME atm (and i don't understand people claiming they don't have them - how? i don't get it), for me FM is not just getting good results (i can get them with the current ME), but emulating good football. That's just impossible because of said issues.

And as Spurs44 said: i'm not here to bash the game, i'm a long time fan of the series and enjoyed the game every year. But i'm disappointed, that the core of the whole game is so messed up atm. And it even already has been better one or two beta patches back...

Not everyone has the transfer issue - fact

Player ratings (Full backs) - is being looked into, fix expected per PaulC

FMC no subs - is being looked into, fix expected per PaulC

Aside from some other minor elements (free kicks v goals, SC's not the dominant scores, throw in takers with feet over lines, GK out of area with ball in hands, defensive positioning in some case) I can't see anything which is game breaking.

I completely agree its disappointing to have these issues at go-live but we know this is often the case so we should be prepared for it, especially as we know a fix will arrive as soon as it can

I personally disagree the ME was better a few versions ago, even PaulC has said this but like game processing speeds its all subjective.

So I personally disagree the core of the game is messed up, it has 1 key issue and some minor ones in my view. However i think you view is acknowledged and respected.

If we can just hang on a bit longer.....patience will be rewarded.

Long Term fan - I'm an oldie and have been with the series (CM and FM) since the first on the Amiga. I can even rember the Red Box it came in. Current issues aside I think this could be the best so far when the key ones are resolved

I've posted in here and the bugs forum regarding backgrounds not showing in game (no option in the preferences). But had no response as to wether this will be fixed in a future patch. Anyone know if this is being looked at?

Cheers

This is the feedback thread so its no good double posting. Your issue will have been looked at. Have you done a search in case others have it also and have a work around?

I just got the wee news item informing me of one of my player's POTM performance in the last game. Nothing strange there, apart from the last sentence which states he's been an ever present this season, when he's actually missed a few games. He's been an unused sub on a few occasions, I wonder if the game still counts that in terms of being 'ever present'. It's not my definition of the term, I have to say.

Could you post here (http://community.sigames.com/forumdisplay.php/366-Media-News-and-Press-Conferences) and upload a save game showing this issue please? Or one just before the match where he gets the award? Thanks.

I very rarely post but as an avid player since the CM2 days this feels like one of the more complete releases of recent times. Whilst there is a little fine-tuning to be done on some of the more granular aspects of the match engine it is nothing significant or impacting the gameplay from my perspective.

Well done to the team on this release which strikes the right balance across a number of in-game components which are quite detailed.

For me FFP is a nice aspect to the game as you can't just go wild signing lots of players, running the club takes a little more thought.

This thread is giving us far more negative feedback ME wise than anywhere else so far, and these forums are a very small sample of FM users these days.

PaulC,

As someone who works in IT I'm actually really appreciative of S.I's commitment to work on the game even after they have people's money.

Additionally I don't think the game is hugely broke, a tweak here and there and it will be the best yet.

That said, what you just said is quite shocking. First of all, we aren't 'users' (although we are probably junkies tbf) we are FANS.

The people on these boards feed back useful information, the people not on these boards don't.

Alright, you have to put up with a lot of useless bile and bilgewater as well, but do you really want us all to go away and leave us with your Korean cash-cow?

Football Manager without fans is nothing.

I don't buy this argument at all.

Why shouldn't a football management simulator oblige you to pay attention to what the opposition is doing? Isn't that the whole point?

A lot of BiggusD's observations are subjective, and so may or may not actually be significant issues.

As an example, in my opinion there are actually more sliding tackles in FM14 at the moment than I ever recall there being in FM13.

One outstanding issue is the tackle count, and more often than not, the excessive tackles are last ditch slide tackles.

That's one opinion versus another, neither is definitively right but it proves that subjectivity doesn't amount to much and so shouldn't be assumed to be fact.

The comment about Extended Highlights just is not true. I've seen plenty of highlights where the ball starts with the AI, we win the ball in the middle of the pitch or nick it off a wide midfielder (which BiggusD claims doesn't happen when face to face), and then Counter to score.

On the other hand, some of BiggusD's observations directly relate to fixes which are in progress.

People get excited at this time of year and start throwing around words like "never", "always", or unsubstantiated percentages when they see something odd. A touch of perspective is needed.

I specifically said that I didn't ideally want more sliding tackles, but would prefer them over players step-toing around uninterestedly and backing off advancing opponents. While I might have exaggerated the highlight thing, others have also commented on repetitiveness and the camping in front of both goals. Yesterday when I played FM13, there was a highlight lasting for two game-minutes or so where the play waved back and forth and then back again and I assure you that I have seen no such thing in the FM14 demo. I intended that paragraph as a possible explanation of the high shot count many report in here, which I also experience. Edit: What I mean to say is that every highlight in Extended ends in a finish in FM14, but not in FM13.

When I get home from work today, I will load up the game and provide a pkm with my commentary related to these points (lack of actual sprinting without the ball, unrealistic dribbling etc.) - unless the game has already been updated by then.

As for the manager having to change things around to deal with what the opponent does: in real life the manager spots a danger that the team might not have been aware of, and tells them how to stop it - beyond that he is powerless. In FM we change roles, duties or give OI's, but these are all very limited as the position determines almost everything about player behaviour. So much more is up to the AI player intelligence to sort out problems as they appear. The issue I take with all this is that in real life, the manager can do everything in his power to park the bus, but whatever that is, is just an attempt. The players might not actually manage to park the bus. In FM, the current wisdom appears to be that a parked bus must be dealt with tactically by making changes - so in other words a parked bus is a parked bus regardless of other factors. In other words, FM is becoming a rock-paper-scissors-lizard-spock game where you are supposed to apply specialist strategies to deal with other specialist strategies. It is not there yet (in FM13), but by this rate beating the ME with shouts and strategies aimed at countering AI tactics will replace beating the ME through tactics, since there will always be an unrealistic "hole" to exploit in every tactic employed by the AI. This is not in any way more realistic than "super-tactics" because there is no conclusive way to deal with anything in football, and as a bonus I still hold that the vast majority of FM users do not play the game that way and will have no interest in learning how to.

To put it as briefly as I can: what I fear regarding the future of FM is that SI is gradually removing the AI players from the equation, in order to "activate" the human managers tactically through having their input more directly influencing the output.

I reiterate my rhetorical question: Is Italy playing with a deep-lying playmaker and thus call up Pirlo to play in that role because it's an integral part of their game-plan, or do they play with a Deep-Lying Playmaker because Pirlo likes to drop in between the opponent's midfield and striker in order to seek out the flanks with his precise passes? Does Tevez hassle the opponent defense and midfield all over the pitch because the manager has instructed him to use his Stamina to force the opponent players to make mistakes, or does he do that because, well, he is Tevez and that's how he plays and the manager really wants him to be a poacher so that he can score more?

please don't get me started my players get injured almost every game, when I'm winning the other team manages to score in the last second

2. my goalkeeper drops the ball on purpose in his own box and the other team scores (wooooohoooo)

3. my strikers have clear cut chances, but guess what the oppositions goalkeeper is always on good form

4. oh yeah one thing I forgot whenever my assistant tells me to mark a player or close him down guess what? in the next few seconds

that player scores and when you do mark that player it is not always good enough (hahahahahaha) seems like my assistant manager knows it all hay! bye bye

• SI Staff

Macshimmy I think the fact that I am spending time on here interacting reflects the fact that I value this particular subset of our userbase ( yes, you fans ) very highly. So I agree with your last sentence wholeheartedly.

It's just that sometimes the negativity on here becomes too much. I'm in a minority amongst the SI team in continuing to post here because of that. Which is rather sad.

Listen, criticism is fine with us when it's constructive, and always will be.

I'm struggling to spot the difference defensively between counter/standard (with default D-line and Closing down) and attack/overload (with Push much higher up and Hassle Opponents). Can't be just me...

This is the feedback thread so its no good double posting. Your issue will have been looked at. Have you done a search in case others have it also and have a work around?

I was feeding back, feeding back that the background option isn't in the preferences anymore. I had no confirmation that it has been looked at. It was suggested by a moderator that it should be posted in the bugs forum, in one of the backgrounds threads. So that's what I've done.

Is the mouse cursor permanently changing to a football icon a bug? It's pretty annoying.

You have to restart the game to fix it. It used to happen to me in fm13 too sometimes. It happens very very very rarely when you click at the wrong time when its loading. Its been acknowledged. I assume its hard to fix because its so hard to reproduce consistently without just pressing continue and clicking around for hours.

PaulC,

As someone who works in IT I'm actually really appreciative of S.I's commitment to work on the game even after they have people's money.

Additionally I don't think the game is hugely broke, a tweak here and there and it will be the best yet.

That said, what you just said is quite shocking. First of all, we aren't 'users' (although we are probably junkies tbf) we are FANS.

The people on these boards feed back useful information, the people not on these boards don't.

Alright, you have to put up with a lot of useless bile and bilgewater as well, but do you really want us all to go away and leave us with your Korean cash-cow?

Football Manager without fans is nothing.

I think you have completely misunderstand what Paul C was saying. He is very much appreciative of the ME feedback being posted here and has been big enough to hold his hands up to the issue.

For what its worth the other elements of your post I agree with e.g. you have to highlight and log issues in the appropriate forums to stand a chance of getting the resolved

References to a Korean cash cow, whatever that is, is likely disrespectful on multiple fronts

Archived