Confessions of a Serial Cheater

Ladies and Gentlemen, fellow members of the Football Manager community, I come before you today to beg forgiveness and to admit my wrongdoing throughout most of my FM history. I am a cheater. I am not proud of this and have taken steps to reform myself, but the task is monumental and I ask for any advice that can be shared that will help my rehabilitation. My crimes are as follows;

- Saving before every match

- Saving before every player interaction

- Saving before board requests

- Use of in-game editor to change PA/contracts

- Editing of staff to make them inhumanly good

- Use of downloaded tactics

- Use of external scouting software to find players

I am sure that there are others, but these are the worst of my crimes. To add some context, I have just taken Shrewsbury from League 2 relegation troubles (after a stint with Redditch in the conference leagues) to Champions League and Premiership title. Pretty standard stuff for FM, but it's been done on the back of foul play. My top scorer? Found with a cheating tool. My star winger? Edited him to have 20 professionalism. It got to the stage where I was clicking continue, clicking play and just watching the game play itself with the downloaded tactic. I wasn't having fun. My last transfer window I didn't buy anyone, because I knew my team was full of players who would end up being world-beaters.

So, what have I done? I left. Resigned mid-season and took over my team, West Brom. Having just been relegated from the Premiership they were bottom of the Championship after 9 games. However, I'm starting from scratch. No save scumming. No editing. No scout software. No downloaded tactics. I just lost 2-3 in a game I dominated and hit the woodwork 3 times. I would have alt+F4'd before, but I've taken it like a man and i'll try and understand why I lost, even if it was just bad luck.

So, I guess I'm asking if anyone else has gone through a similar process? It honestly feels a bit like an addiction, as pathetic as that sounds, and I'm just looking for a bit of advice. Also some tips or a link to some info on scouting would be great, as I didn't use the scouting system and I need some players.

My advise is start a whole new save and click in the box that say in game editor is not allowed my other piece of advise is go and read some of the tactical guides on the tactics forum and then when you pick your new club use the knowledge from those to build your own tactic.

I am sure you will find this infinitely more fun as you will actually be testing yourself.

Just be the team in the lower manageable league, with the lowest expected league place and then you'll have less pressure to cheat!

Just lower your standards mate, in one of my saved games, not getting relegated every season was an achievement I was proud of lol

How you play the game is entirely up to you, if you get enjoyment and fulfilment out of what you are doing then what does it matter. I did once cheat but felt bad so didn't do it again. We are all different.

How you play the game is entirely up to you, if you get enjoyment and fulfilment out of what you are doing then what does it matter. I did once cheat but felt bad so didn't do it again. We are all different.

Yeah, I've done cheating and non-cheating careers and got something different out of them all. To each his own.

P.S.: And I'm sure we've all at least felt the temptation to cheat when stuck in a save that seemed to not be progressing anywhere. Anyone who says they haven't even thought of it is either a liar or a saint...

My advise would be to experiment with new things in the game.

Go to a league you have never played in. South America or an Asian league.

Or instead of trying to work with bringing in youth players. Try and always sign expensive players.

Or another that can be fun is lower league management where you are a selling club. Dont look to keep your best players, look to sell them on and see where they end up.

This^ If no other human player is involved then cheating is simply a matter of your own perception.

This^ If no other human player is involved then cheating is simply a matter of your own perception.

Unless you start posting about it on forums without being clear & open about what you've done.

This then gives a false impression to other people and leads to a false impression of whats expected from the game.

How you play the game is entirely up to you, if you get enjoyment and fulfilment out of what you are doing then what does it matter.

Basically this. On the other hand, I don't really understand why anybody would pay money for this game and then just go about cheating. I couldn't. There'd be no sense of achievement - you're just pressing buttons... And for what? The victories in this game are only so sweet because of the failures and the long hours you put into building your own success.

Or you can play FM 2012 and you feel like a cheater without cheating.

I was so happy with my save, tremendous and unseen success. Later I realized later that everybody was immensely successful in that version.

Completely agree that cheating would ruin the game for me, success has no meaning if you haven't known any failure.

Basically this. On the other hand, I don't really understand why anybody would pay money for this game and then just go about cheating. I couldn't. There'd be no sense of achievement - you're just pressing buttons... And for what? The victories in this game are only so sweet because of the failures and the long hours you put into building your own success.

I couldn't agree more, but who is anybody to judge how someone else 'plays' the game providing no other human players are involved, I personally, like yourself and many others enjoy the heartache and frustration of the game it makes every victory much sweeter.

No failure?

Even when "Cheating" you can still experience failure.

I have been using these unlockables in one of my games.

lwVwdb.jpg

and have also been using the Boost Balance facility, Started in the Conference South and I have had a mixture of success and failure during the 18 seasons so far.

I have actually had more trophy success in my other save where the only "Cheat" I used is generate a son.

Been playing for almost a decade and it's always the same, me trying to beat the game for a few months, then downloading a killer tactic to do a little bit better yet still fail.

I don't think I ever won a Champions League.

Another cheat I tend to use is the sugar daddy one but very restricted only with bottom division teams below the second tier with low reputation, small stadiums and other limitants, to work my way up, otherwise it would be too easy.

I think by playing the game without cheating, you'll appreciate any success you do get all the more! The thing is aswell is that success is relative, so doesn't necessarily mean winning trophies, finishing high up the league. It could be keeping a team in a division, that's expected to go down, or establishing a side in mid table in a higher league. I think as long as you don't set your sights too high, you'll appreciate and enjoy it more.

I don't really cheat, but I do use the save game editor to do the following things.

1. I fix players 3D look, to make sure it matches their photos in game.

2. I add "favourite club" to all my youth generated players based on where they were born, then also add mine as "player" if they weren't born at my club location.

3. I "balance" some generated youth players. It irks me so much when, as an example, there is a player with 17 dribbling, 18 flair, 16 pace 18 acceleration, 17 first touch and then he has 6 technique. It doesn't just make logical sense to me, so I usually increase their Technique and also their penalty taking.

4. Similar to point 3, as an example, if I see a player with 20 work rate, 17 team work, 16 determination, 16 stamina, 15 pace and acceleration then natural fitness is like 5. I just find it silly, so I increase their natural fitness to something like 15 or 16, depending on how good the physical stats are.

5. Finally, aging players. I really get annoyed when a player ages, and their free kick taking, penalty taking, first touch, passing and technique drop. I can understand all other stats dropping, but some attributes WONT drop with player age. I mean a player like Pirlo or Totti who are in their mid to late 30's can hit a free kick, pass a ball, or have the same technique they always had. Sure their long shots aren't as strong, or they become slow to react or lose pace - but they still can take a free kick or control a ball as good as ever, and sometimes they improve in these areas because they lose their physical prowess and rely more on technique and thus improve in that area.

6. I sometimes add a new club as my own clubs rivals, especially if a specific competitive rivalry forms. I have a new rivalry with Perugia because of 3 seasons where I always lost at their ground and a load of players were sent off, including lots of red cards. :D

7. If a player of mine retires and they become a staff member, I usually sack my current staff member and hire my retired staff member then give my newly retired staff the same stats as the one who I just sacked.

8. I also use the save game editor to put players into club legends and icons if I really loved the player and they retire or leave and the in game fans did not like them enough to add them. I also add ex players that the game did not originally add as icons, so that my news articles have more varied players who talk to the media.

Is that cheating? Or am I just pedantic and try to make my game "perfect".

In one save I got so annoyed that not one of my Transfer Listed players was bought, that I took over PSG and bought all of my teams listed players, and they even bid more than that players value (what a coincidence!)

Although it gave me a nice transfer budget, I still couldn't attract players to my low reputation team - all that happened, is that the calibre of players who I could attract, wanted higher wages!

my one main cheat that i like to do is less a cheat and more an DB edit in real time. ive noticed that good young players from non running league get released from their clubs and eventually retire by 22 or 23 despite being mainstays on their NT. this largely happens from unplayable countries from central America and Asia. these are players with 120+ potential that never get picked up on a free, so i move them back to big clubs in their country and put them on 4 or 5 year contracts. this i feel makes international competition more interesting and full.

I don't really cheat, but I do use the save game editor to do the following things.

1. I fix players 3D look, to make sure it matches their photos in game.

2. I add "favourite club" to all my youth generated players based on where they were born, then also add mine as "player" if they weren't born at my club location.

3. I "balance" some generated youth players. It irks me so much when, as an example, there is a player with 17 dribbling, 18 flair, 16 pace 18 acceleration, 17 first touch and then he has 6 technique. It doesn't just make logical sense to me, so I usually increase their Technique and also their penalty taking.

4. Similar to point 3, as an example, if I see a player with 20 work rate, 17 team work, 16 determination, 16 stamina, 15 pace and acceleration then natural fitness is like 5. I just find it silly, so I increase their natural fitness to something like 15 or 16, depending on how good the physical stats are.

5. Finally, aging players. I really get annoyed when a player ages, and their free kick taking, penalty taking, first touch, passing and technique drop. I can understand all other stats dropping, but some attributes WONT drop with player age. I mean a player like Pirlo or Totti who are in their mid to late 30's can hit a free kick, pass a ball, or have the same technique they always had. Sure their long shots aren't as strong, or they become slow to react or lose pace - but they still can take a free kick or control a ball as good as ever, and sometimes they improve in these areas because they lose their physical prowess and rely more on technique and thus improve in that area.

6. I sometimes add a new club as my own clubs rivals, especially if a specific competitive rivalry forms. I have a new rivalry with Perugia because of 3 seasons where I always lost at their ground and a load of players were sent off, including lots of red cards. :D

7. If a player of mine retires and they become a staff member, I usually sack my current staff member and hire my retired staff member then give my newly retired staff the same stats as the one who I just sacked.

8. I also use the save game editor to put players into club legends and icons if I really loved the player and they retire or leave and the in game fans did not like them enough to add them. I also add ex players that the game did not originally add as icons, so that my news articles have more varied players who talk to the media.

Is that cheating? Or am I just pedantic and try to make my game "perfect".

2, 3, 4 & 5 are definitely cheating, whichever way you want to justify it.

That said, I think anyone who has cheated has experienced that 'hollow victory' feeling when making a clean sweep of trophies with their augmented squads. I'm not saying it can't be fun but for me it's not a save I can enjoy past a few seasons. I am guilty of all of OP's cheats and more and I think in some way you almost have to have cheated in a previous game in order to appreciate the value of an untampered, successful save.

For me it usually starts with a downloaded tactic, then a 'peek' at some players using a scouting utility before going on to full blown stat editing. In FM16 I will absolutely not be using any of these darkside shenanigans. Unless there's a really good tactic I see...

I think it's fine modifying the game provided that you don't make yourself ridiculously good, as although it's impressive having amazing players with 20s all over the place, you definitely get bored after a season.

Sydney, I have also balanced out regens' stats (not CA/PA) but it's really annoying when you've got a great CB for example, who has 1 for aggression :D

I did used to cheat a lot on the game, everything you can think of :D However, when you start realising it's the cheating that's making you bored of the game, that's when it's time to try something new. My worst thing was using FM Scout to find players and refusing to sign anyone who had less than 180 for PA! You become annoyed with players who you know don't have good enough PA and start freezing them out, regardless of stats. It's a slippery slope and takes all the fun out of the game.

I think one edition I used Genie Scout and FMRTE to see what it was all about but that was it oh and one I raged quit over 3 penalty misses and 4 goals disallowed for offside and the opposition had an offside goal allowed. So after a calmed down I opened the game again and replayed the match and won it other than that I have refrained from cheating as like others feel better once I gain promotion and cup wins that little bit more.

The only thing I do that could remotely be called cheating is that I save the game before I declare an interest, or apply, for another job. The only reason I do this is so if, for whatever reason, I want to go back to playing as the former club there is no history of me applying for another job.

I must admit, in the old days of the original CM, I used to add multiple managers to enable me to transfer players for silly money. Used to enjoy building the most dominant and successful team and it was an easy way to do it. Now however the reward for me is just enjoying what time I do get to play the game.

I also cheat but I say "So what?". I'm not pro and play rather rare so all my save scumming is "learning". I learn what tactic can I use to defeat opponent in a cup from seveal leagues higher. And it's easier to see tactic changes (or talks) in gameplay if you start wiht the same conditions.

I use FMRTE for Football manager and also use the Sports Interactive created ingame editor to send the players I want to my club without buying them. Also use either to remove injuries and suspensions.

Nothing better than increasing the bank balance, transfer kitty and wage budget at the start of the saved game.

To save on wages, I use fmrte to cancel the contracts of all under 18s and under 21 players.

To the OP:

If you can resist the urge to cheat while playing as your favourite team then I think you've cracked it! For me it was always playing as my club which drove me to *cough* creative approaches to improve. To avoid temptation I usually pick a club which means nothing to me. If, like me, you sometimes develop an attachment to a club you manage then set yourself a limit of three seasons or something before you move elsewhere. Then it becomes all about making yourself great (hopefully without cheating) rather than a club.

To El Presidente:

Anyone who quotes the late, great Eddie Guerrero is alright by me. *applauds*

Ladies and Gentlemen, fellow members of the Football Manager community, I come before you today to beg forgiveness and to admit my wrongdoing throughout most of my FM history. I am a cheater. I am not proud of this and have taken steps to reform myself, but the task is monumental and I ask for any advice that can be shared that will help my rehabilitation. My crimes are as follows;

- Saving before every match

- Saving before every player interaction

- Saving before board requests

- Use of in-game editor to change PA/contracts

- Editing of staff to make them inhumanly good

- Use of downloaded tactics

- Use of external scouting software to find players

Hm lets see...

Save before every match - Check - This isn't cheating though, the amount of times I've LOST save files or whatnot because the game crashed or bugged out is infuriating.

Save before player interaction - Check - Actually only started doing this in FM15 as I disagree with the overbearing nature of 15's player interaction.

Was basically;

"Hello"

"OMG DIE YOU RACIST GIT YOU LOOKED AT ME FUNNY I WANT A TRANSFER!"

"holy hell, chill out!"

"STOP TRIGGERING ME!"

So yeah, it was necessary.

Save before board requests - Nah, no reason, save before ultimatum for sure! haha Actually I did this for a laugh to test something, I got sacked or told to resign and I just wanted to see what would happen. So I left, they got relegated (Welsh Champions and whatnot) and I never got another job cos my reputation dived from World Class to obscure or something ridiculous, so I never got job offers. =/

In game editor - Yes, but only to *see* certain CA/PA things and to edit certain players who I felt were ridiculously over rated.

Download tactics - No.

Edit Staff - No.

Reload a scummy game - Yes, 'course! Not very often mind, because I can and do regularly go through a season with a 90% win percentage without cheating. I *do* however, have my moments of rage-quitting... And I suppose I will never outgrow that. Given my natural win % though, reloading is extremely rare for me, in fact I can accept defeats, even horrendous ones like a 0-3 stuffing by Arsenal that make me head-desk. I find, I tend to reload when that dreaded 'complacent' or ridiculous match comes along - but the fact they're so rare means I'm reasonably decent as identifying how to stop that. Obviously not all the way there yet. ¬_¬

As for advice:

Saving before games is fine, I don't see an issue with that.

Creating tactics and investing in the game is the thing you should be doing and the Tactics forums is the place to be for that. Cleon and THoG's (I think that's him) stuff is good, I can take or leave Rashidi's stuff, but I suppose in fairness I should suggest reading all three of them. There's other stuff there as well, but it takes time to digest.

But really the main point for you is to have fun. So keep doing that. :)

Keeping the psychoanalysis out of it, I'll just say that I'm a bit perplexed at cheaters in single-player games such as FM. To paraphrase the old saw, FM is a journey, not a destination. Winning all of the top honors is great fun and immensely satisfying if you've actually earned it, otherwise what's the point? I've had fun clawing my way up the leagues but I think the most entertaining parts of my careers have been fighting against relegation with a patched-up, injury-plagued bunch of misfits. So...my recommendation to the OP is to find the poopiest team around and save them on behalf of the 92 loyal, long-suffering fans who will show up for each game.

Keeping the psychoanalysis out of it, I'll just say that I'm a bit perplexed at cheaters in single-player games such as FM.

I think we can all agree that "cheating" is 1) a matter of definition and 2) may not be the best choice of word for a single-player game.

As I have already stated above: To each his own. Whatever rocks your individual boats = :thup: as far as I'm concerned...

To the OP: As long as it makes you happy and it does not affect anyone else, then there's no need to be embarrassed about it. I know someone who cannot lose a single match in FM. It is replayed over and over again until he wins. He has only drawn once since FM05, and that's because his star striker scored a sublime goal that he did not want to lose. Every other match is a win.

It only ever became an issue between us when I caught him cheating in our network game with FM Scout and an in game editor. We've not played in the same FM Universe now for over 9 years, I refuse to. Our FM mentalities are too different, he is for perfection and I am for realism.

Do what you want it's your game, so play it whatever way makes you enjoy it.

I got the in game editor for the 1st time this year purely because of all the players interactions and then the resulting unhappiness that followed, made the game nicer to play to just click remove all unhappiness.

Unfortunately the guy who gives all the info for my team has made a good few mistakes. One player he had as 168 cm when he is 177, plus he is a left footer not a right. He also had a good youngster as a RB when he's a top up and coming LB, plus one of our talented 20yr olds is now a midfielder and not a striker and our player of the year he had as poor consistency when in truth it was the opposite.

To the OP: As long as it makes you happy and it does not affect anyone else, then there's no need to be embarrassed about it.

I'm not so sure. While I agree with the underlying sentiment "It's your game, do what you want", it's often said (mostly by me) that two things bring out one's true personality: alcohol and gaming. As the OP has admitted, "It honestly feels a bit like an addiction". So I guess I find it a little, I don't know, dispiriting because cheating yourself is, ultimately, such a self-defeating activity. As we see here.

As to the definition of cheating, yes, we all have slightly different views of it but, like art, we all pretty much know it when we see it.

In my opinion, the best way to stop cheating is to remember that you're missing out on some of the best experiences in FM by doing just that. By cheating (save-scumming, etc.) you'll...:

- never experience a relegation battle

- never find a way to break yourself out of mediocrity

- never regret signings nor will you appreciate them as much

- never get sacked and bounce back in another country (and then maybe return to the previous country in a higher league, giving a big middle finger to the team that sacked you in the first place)

- never be relegated and have to rebuild your team with new players and perhaps a new philosophy

- never get an understanding of the scouting system (which can be so rewarding once you find the right players)

- never truly feel like you've accomplished something by using your own wits and instinct

- etc. etc.

Some people may see all of the above as purely frustrating and that's where the cheating begins. I can understand that. I used to be quickly disappointed with the way my first or second season was progressing in FM, so I used to delete the save and start again... and again... and again, until I finally thought this is silly - the whole point of the game is to get through these challenges. So I began a season saying to myself, "No matter what happens, I will not delete this save"... and I'm so glad I did. I've had some great highs, devastating lows, and everything in between.

In my opinion, the best way to stop cheating is to remember that you're missing out on some of the best experiences in FM by doing just that. By cheating (save-scumming, etc.) you'll...:

- never experience a relegation battle

- never find a way to break yourself out of mediocrity

- never regret signings nor will you appreciate them as much

- never get sacked and bounce back in another country (and then maybe return to the previous country in a higher league, giving a big middle finger to the team that sacked you in the first place)

- never be relegated and have to rebuild your team with new players and perhaps a new philosophy

- never get an understanding of the scouting system (which can be so rewarding once you find the right players)

- never truly feel like you've accomplished something by using your own wits and instinct

- etc. etc.

Some people may see all of the above as purely frustrating and that's where the cheating begins. I can understand that. I used to be quickly disappointed with the way my first or second season was progressing in FM, so I used to delete the save and start again... and again... and again, until I finally thought this is silly - the whole point of the game is to get through these challenges. So I began a season saying to myself, "No matter what happens, I will not delete this save"... and I'm so glad I did. I've had some great highs, devastating lows, and everything in between.

I agree with all the above but without cheating I've been involved in relegation battles but never have I been relegated. It's probably one of the only experiences I've missed in FM... I've only been sacked once as well and that was back in CM 01/02 after 10 years at a club they wanted a fresh start and change at the helm.

For me saving before a board meeting or team meeting is not cheating. In real life theres no way you would say something that would get a reaction where you meant the opposite reaction. and then to have no chance to put it right or explain you didnt mean that. So i often save the game before an important contract or meeting of some kind. Iv also saved the game before games just to experiment with the team talks etc.

Cruisey --

You've raised an excellent point. This is what I call "soft cheating" and I mean no criticism by that phrase. Because no game has ever been perfectly crafted, there are often what we may call "misunderstandings" between the designers and the gamer. In these situations, one often needs some sort of workaround to overcome a misunderstood effect. The bottom line here is intentions: if you're replaying a part of the game simply for benefit, then you're cheating. If you're replaying because, say, a command has been misunderstood or because you intended to hit Tab but hit Enter by mistake, then you're with the angels.

Thing is so many people cheat the unofficial way anyway. Match engine exploits, German National team clauses, etc etc.

For me I think the way tactical familiarity is broken, it makes no sense the way it works. You can take over a team and give them realistic tactics and they'll still have low familiarity unless you play 10 friendlies. I'd understand if you changed the system completely, but often that's not the case. Oh and then they forget it again come the next season..

Also "future injuries" is really dumb. As soon as you start the game, it's already not the same as what happens in real life. Future injuries should not exist IMO.

That all being said, I always get bored of saves when I am not playing legit. So there's that.

Cruisey --

You've raised an excellent point. This is what I call "soft cheating" and I mean no criticism by that phrase. Because no game has ever been perfectly crafted, there are often what we may call "misunderstandings" between the designers and the gamer. In these situations, one often needs some sort of workaround to overcome a misunderstood effect. The bottom line here is intentions: if you're replaying a part of the game simply for benefit, then you're cheating. If you're replaying because, say, a command has been misunderstood or because you intended to hit Tab but hit Enter by mistake, then you're with the angels.

I really wouldn't say its cheating at all. Even soft. its making the game be more realistic and more like real life. Another example is people say the FM Scout is cheating. But using it for things like seeing your own players abilities, seeing there jadedness, fitness, etc is something a manager would know about his players if he had been there a while or chatted to the players in 1 v 1 meetings. Which managers do in real life. Also sportsmanship and professionalism is hidden but as a manager of a player you would have a good idea of these things. The things thats cheating using the FM scout would be things like seeing players exact potential abilities and other teams exact abilities and potential abilities etc. I dont use it for that. But I do use it to find players who are on the free as this is something a manager could easily do with the internet and contacts etc.

I really wouldn't say its cheating at all. Even soft. its making the game be more realistic and more like real life. Another example is people say the FM Scout is cheating. But using it for things like seeing your own players abilities, seeing there jadedness, fitness, etc is something a manager would know about his players if he had been there a while or chatted to the players in 1 v 1 meetings. Which managers do in real life. Also sportsmanship and professionalism is hidden but as a manager of a player you would have a good idea of these things. The things thats cheating using the FM scout would be things like seeing players exact potential abilities and other teams exact abilities and potential abilities etc. I dont use it for that. But I do use it to find players who are on the free as this is something a manager could easily do with the internet and contacts etc.

The game provides you with information to see those hidden attributes. It's supposed to be somewhat vague and just your best guess.

In example with professionalism you of course have the personality and media handling description to guide you which in most cases will reveal either of ambition or professionalism, but in addition if you have a squad who's main trait is professionalism, your coaches will tell you in the player report that whatever player you're looking at fits in well with the squad or have a lot of adapting to do, meaning is professional or is not, respectively.

In addition a simple trick of giving a player two individual training instructions, like PPM + individual role or position training will reveal the unprofessional ones, as they will become unhappy, saying they don't like the amount of additional individual training, whereas those who do not complain are safe to use as tutors.

Another clue is the body language during matches. The most professional ones will have a fitting description in many games.

Taking note of the games clues will have you learn to know your players over time, which is a much more realistic way of doing things. Also using external tools to check things like that I find is too exact and revealing, while also coming with too much temptation, to i.e. before an important signing, just check if he is made of the right stuff :)

Do not download or copy a tactic, do not follow player guides or team building guides, and turn off editor. You learn far more by developing your own style and if you win by copying a tactic you are affectively playing someone else's game. Also in the first few seasons have a go at buying players from what you see IRL. I have my scouts opinion, my in game opinion and what I've seen IRL opinion.

I used to be a serial cheater and all I can say is that its NORMAL. FM is unique because it does not have checkpoints, its continous in compare to many genre (For eg. in Black Ops, if you die, you respawn).

I used to saved before I play any match since FM 07-14. It was fun for me and I enjoyed it. In fact, I learned alot from doing that because I got to experiment many tactics, and how I talk to my players without reading online guides. It was more fun for sure, to discover things yourself.

THere will be a time you get a hang with the game and you probably will stop or still continue to cheat casually. Which is fine!

Enjoy the game, it took me 4-5 years to stop cheating. But its worth it!

To come to think of it, I think FM should add "mini autosaves before each match". Then you can just go back to that moment anytime during the season. I think this will help players to experiment with tactics! Or maybe even create an engine specifically to test Tactics on scenarios we want to try. Because this game is revolved around tactic making

I've just gone on holiday for my final two games of the season, leaving my Ass Man in charge, hoping he gets the desired results so we can get in to the Europa League.

He did get the desired results for me, for which I awarded him with a new contract and a large bottle of quality red wine.

However, I felt that if my Ass Man hadn't got the results needed for Euro qualification, I could have just sacked him. After all, it would have been his fault, not mine, should we have missed out.

Is this a type of cheating? I don't think so, although my Ass Man may beg to differ. ;)

I even go as far as to consider selecting a side cheating.

Giving yourself international/Professional playing experience to give yourself more chance of gaining employment, cheating

Even manipulating your manager stats/qualification could be seen as cheating. I am guilty here as I choose ''Semi-pro'' as I do not think ''Sunday League'' player is a level that would realistically ever give you a Manager job at any of the original FM clubs database.

Choosing a Nationality/ Favourite team that isn't your true one so to aid you in gaining loan players or a job in that league could be a form of cheating.

Answering the interview questions that the Chairman wants to hear rather than what you believe could also be ''cheating'' your way into a job.

Why does FM give you a table of philosophies the Chairman would like to hear before he asks them? Perhaps the player/Manager should research the Clubs prior to applying so they can gain the philosophy rather than being given them.

If you start unemployed from Grass roots then defensive football will almost always be a requirement yet as you move up the career ladder clubs often become more attacking but if you apply and get interviewed you can lie about preferring direct attacking football when your previous/current job shows you to have been and agreed to play defensively.

Giving yourself international/Professional playing experience to give yourself more chance of gaining employment, cheating

Even manipulating your manager stats/qualification could be seen as cheating. I am guilty here as I choose ''Semi-pro'' as I do not think ''Sunday League'' player is a level that would realistically ever give you a Manager job at any of the original FM clubs database.

Choosing a Nationality/ Favourite team that isn't your true one so to aid you in gaining loan players or a job in that league could be a form of cheating.

Out of interest. I did play semi-pro and I do have coaching qualifications. If I was to put them into the game and stay true to myself as I do when selecting languages I speak and favourite teams would that be consider cheating in your eyes? I select everything to remain true to myself and when I set the stats out I try to remain true on them. (I'm a goalkeeping coach so I tend to lower technique coaching to raise GK.)

Archived